Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Directed by: Joseph Kosinski (previous movies, TRON Legacy, Oblivion, Only the Brave

Can't believe a thread for this movie hasn't been made yet. Will be adding more deets to the OP asap, but I just saw this movie last night and it loving RULED. Holy gently caress, Tom Cruise actually did it. Big shoutout to everyone involved as well. The stunts, the action, the direction, the writing, the acting, the characters. Man it was so good.

Lets discuss the return of the actual summer blockbuster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXco2jaZ_4

Like for real I was on the edge of my seat watching this. Holy poo poo it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM389FbhlRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Top Gun Maverick is one of the greatest action films ever made. Absolute mastercraft. Right up there with Mad Max Fury Road. Kosinski rules. Lol that Disney didn't get him to make the Rogue Squadron movie. Idiots.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Good interview if you haven’t already read:

https://www.vulture.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-director-joseph-kosinski-interview.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i enjoyed the absolute gently caress out of this, and it made me like the original even more

i'm extremely not the kind of person who normally enjoys Tom Cruise, butt rock, oo-rah military poo poo, or toxic heterosexuality but drat it, i love a good school movie

pleasantly surprised by Miles Teller not being the absolute worst. someone finally bought him an acting coach i guess.

only thing i really didn't like was Maverick getting a "new girl" and we're just blatanly having her be kelly mcgillis' replacement. also not even asking Meg Ryan to show up, i didn't really think having her be "dead" added to the story at all

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I admit, a Tom romance with how Kelly looks today would be pretty awesome.

But my disappointment was the romance with Jennifer was not intense enough, needed more passion scenes and a song that was a banger.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

i enjoyed the absolute gently caress out of this, and it made me like the original even more

i'm extremely not the kind of person who normally enjoys Tom Cruise, butt rock, oo-rah military poo poo, or toxic heterosexuality but drat it, i love a good school movie

pleasantly surprised by Miles Teller not being the absolute worst. someone finally bought him an acting coach i guess.

only thing i really didn't like was Maverick getting a "new girl" and we're just blatanly having her be kelly mcgillis' replacement. also not even asking Meg Ryan to show up, i didn't really think having her be "dead" added to the story at all

Penny was mentioned in the First one.

This movie saved cinema.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Everyone should go see this in IMAX.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gaius Marius posted:

Penny was mentioned in the First one.

Yeah, in the sense of the joke being that Maverick hosed an Admiral's daughter. I never got the sense that it was some kind of amazing romance.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who does he dogfight in this one? North koreans? russians?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The enemy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao Penny is "and one admiral's daughter"??? okay, that actually makes it worse, somehow

i rewatched the first one last night and it's funny that they ADR'd that line in "they have the option of coming back as instructors". it's so awkward and obviously added in post

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Enemy is intentionally left vague similar to the original one.

The romance was limited, but Connelly smiling was often enough to sell it.

What’s funny is that this could easily become some kind of boomer nostalgia fest with an old vet teaching cocky next gen, comments about phones on the bar, or just proving he’s not too old for this. It has all of that, but it soars out of those trappings with some great direction and performances. And importantly, it shows just how much the visual aspects of cinema matter with those jet shots. The generic story doesn’t matter when Cruise is pulling 9 gs or that awesome theme song starts rocking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dangah zone

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

A country that has some kind of nuclear sanctions against it and access to next gen fighters.

I watched the original the night before seeing Maverick and I would recommend doing something similar because they definitely makes some choices about deliberately doing things the same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah it's very close to being "the same movie", there are so many little things

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Except it’s better in every way

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

a nation which has F-14s, is unfriendly to america, has a nuclear weapons program and mountainous terrain, so honestly it could ve any body

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iran ain't flying pak fa's. The enemy is entirely fantastical.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe it's just the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia, but i found both the romance and pathos in the original more entertaining. the chemistry between the characters in this one isn't bad, but never really rises above workman like

but by god, any and all scenes involving the jets knocks it out of the park in way that i think surpasses the original. all-in-all an excellent summer popcorn flick. i would say that it won't leave a pop culture impression as deep as the first one, but i'm now an out of touch old man so what do i know

OctaMurk posted:

a nation which has F-14s, is unfriendly to america, has a nuclear weapons program and mountainous terrain, so honestly it could ve any body

a nuclear program which an unnamed american ally has deep existential concern about, really just a total cipher

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They have 5th gen fighters too ( I know movie said that phrase many times). Currently it’s only China, Russia, and U.S. and our allies that we sold f35s.
So at the moment doesn’t really fit any foreign nation.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
This movie absolutely fuckin slaps. Was I the only one extremely aware of the Bowie song playing in the background of Jennifer Connelly's intro scene?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Movie good

Movie reaaaaaally good

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I love how Hangman was the Iceman analog but saw himself as more of a Maverick. Especially after rewatching the original and realizing that Iceman was right about everything.

Do we know how much McQuarrie contributed to the screenplay? Because it felt like his finger prints were all over it. Especially the third act.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The interview I posted earlier stated that Kosinski had the idea of Gooses son and Maverick off in the enemy battlefield together and learned to be father/son there. This emotional aspect is the big hook he used to get Cruise to agree to do the film when he pitched it. That and all of the practical effects/flying of course.

But he may have got some help with more of the action direction. Kosinski did give an example where he stated that the script at first called for the original mission description to be just satellite images and maps for realism. McQuirre told him to forget the realism and show it all off with the camera sweep as that’s more fun for audience.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This movies 4-5x better then it both needed to be and should have been. It’s a goddamn action movie masterpiece. I was so scared that it would be maverick vs drones proving that humans still got it or some poo poo.

This movie had the perfect amount of top gun nostalgia, you had a clever use of Great Balls of Fire, you had the perfect amount of the rockin 80s guitars, you had the love interest. But it felt modern in the ways that matter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Except it’s better in every way

i wouldn't go that far. i saw the original as a kid so it's really hard for me to be objective, but i don't think it beats the original in literally every way. if nothing else, Iceman is a way better frienemy than the guy in Maverick (edit: Hangman)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Baltic Iran

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Only tom got to do a carrier launch huh

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's funny to me that Glen Powell lost out on the Rooster role and then got arguably a much better showcase as Hangman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

It's funny to me that Glen Powell lost out on the Rooster role and then got arguably a much better showcase as Hangman.

yeah i couldn't see him as Goose, but he was such a good Hangman. that guy is a delight in everything he's in, especially Scream Queens

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

saw this opening weekend and i can acknowledge that it is a "good" movie on paper bc of all the cool action bits and lack of any glaring cringe poo poo. but it didn't really do anything for me practically. maybe the fact that it didn't disappoint puts it head and shoulders above a bunch of other big budget studio flicks out there, but i'd be fine never watching this again, which doesn't really make it a "good" movie to me, personally. like, i'd much rather rewatch point break or mission impossible 3 or a dozen other movies before i'd ever bother with this again.

overall i'm glad this movie exists and is making money and whatever but i thought it was just alright :shrug:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jose Oquendo posted:

Everyone should go see this in IMAX.

Yeah, just got back from seeing it there, swear to God right now I feel like I had been pulling Gs myself, although a lot of that was the sound system shaking me I think.

precision posted:

only thing i really didn't like was Maverick getting a "new girl" and we're just blatantly having her be kelly mcgillis' replacement. also not even asking Meg Ryan to show up, i didn't really think having her be "dead" added to the story at all

Given I understand Cruise and McGillis did NOT like each other much apparently, I'm not horribly surprised. Not to mention Mr. Undisciplined Fighter Pilot not having any successful long-term relationships isn't exactly out of character really. Though in-universe the fact they said Maverick only lasted two months as a Top Gun instructor and McGillis's character skipped an out of town promotion to be with him makes for pretty hilarious imagining of how THAT breakup went. As for Meg Ryan, I think it was probably the right choice to not have any other characters in the Maverick/Rooster relationship plot to confuse the issue to be honest.

live with fruit posted:

I love how Hangman was the Iceman analog but saw himself as more of a Maverick. Especially after rewatching the original and realizing that Iceman was right about everything.

I dunno, I don't think he quite maps to Iceman, he was the "rival" but other than that he was more undisciplined than Iceman by a long ways (can't see Iceman taunting another pilot in public to start a fight (whenever Iceman slagged Maverick he deliberately pulled him aside), and certainly anybody who leaves his wingman in the lurch enough to earn a callsign over it is NOT like the guy who asked Maverick who was covering Cougar when he was "showboating" with a MIG). The pilots in this felt a lot more like their own thing, with maybe the occasional homage but otherwise not just carbon copies. He was definitely a great character though.

precision posted:

i wouldn't go that far. i saw the original as a kid so it's really hard for me to be objective, but i don't think it beats the original in literally every way. if nothing else, Iceman is a way better frienemy than the guy in Maverick (edit: Hangman)

I do agree with Iceman as a better frienemy per my above statement (the fact that Iceman WAS the better pilot on a professional level and even possibly as a flier gives that relationship an interesting feel, LOVE that scene with him in this one), but I still think overall this one barely edges out the original in total. The stakes were a lot more interesting than "shoot down bad guys" for the combat and the character work in general feels more rounded. I do like despite the inevitable urge to punch that nostalgia button, when it was actually done in the story it feels like it had purpose to it over "remember THIS cool thing?!" - Great Balls of Fire being a gut punch to Maverick for the memory; the scene after the accident costing a plane with Maverick resembling the same one with Goose's death added to the dramatic tension BECAUSE it was so familiar to Maverick, and so on). About the only callbacks that didn't justify themselves that way were the (rather unconnected) carrier opening that we immediately jump away from and Cruise doing McGillis's "walk into the scene and embarrass the pilots over the previous evening's antics" bit, and I'm willing to let the former slide since the Navy wanted the advertising and the latter made it funnier by slotting Maverick into somebody else's "role" from the first film.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A point to this movie is it gets a lot of the nostalgia bait out of the way early.

You want airplanes on a carrier to the Danger Zone? Got it, you want Tom Cruise wearing his leather jacket riding the same motorcycle he had in the first one? Done in the 2nd scene in the movie.

Now, on with the show. So it's much better than a lot of these latter day sequels that are constantly doing, "hey, remember this?" Like the recent Ghostbusters did.

If you want to get pedantic about the movie, here's a review of it by a former F-14 RIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlyBtNoJHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pob_l6mKaak

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Loved this movie. Was pretty sick of Top Gun as a kid as I had a friend who would put it on every sleep over. Was still very excited for what Tom had in store for us and he did not let me down. I almost never see anything twice in theaters but will probably make an exception for this. Will be hard to top my theater going experience of sitting next to someone who would comment on things on screen by repeating a characters name or asking if someone was really going to do X. Biggest takeaway is I did not expect to laugh as much as I did. I also really liked that they introduced two comic relief characters and neither got annoying.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Opening credits carrier stuff with danger zone was solid. Gotta put those credits in somewhere, so why not have a little music video first. It’s like a Bond song/credits sequence.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Hangman is King poo poo of gently caress Mountain and Paramount is dumb if we don't get a Hangman/Rooster movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Biggest opening for paramount ever, we're getting something for a sequel that's for sure. The real question is if Cruise comes back, and if not can those two carry a movie by themselves

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Movie loving owns. Kind of weird the blew the load with the Danger Zone and bike right at the begining, IMO should've left that for the culmination at end, but otherwise I thought it had a great balance with establishing a link with the original.

I'm a big flight sim :spergin: so some of the details stood out as nonsense but in terms of thrilling and comprehensible action it totally delivered. All the character stuff worked too, surprising how invested they can get you in so little time.

PS. the football scene wasn't quite homoerotic enough IMO

I'll remind you who the enemy is... the enemy!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mobby_6kl posted:

I mean, they had a girl there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

mobby_6kl posted:

I agree. Don't know if Suck Magazine will even rate it.

https://twitter.com/tj_mackey432/status/1525462057386139650?t=ooR3jpiF6WdC3BZX1VUXpA&s=19