Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
There is a place for discussion and this thread has actually had some decent discussions regarding propaganda and the US military. There is no place for kramering into the thread and going "if you replace all the jets with rapists would you still enjoy the movie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
It's wild that it's the new Top Gun movie of all things that brings back the dreaded "it's just a movie, don't think about it too much dude". Like the responses in this thread are mostly "you are yucking my yum dude". Like can't I just express my opinion? Yeah, I am passionate about this. My country is also a huge exporter of arms and I loving hate it and regularly attend protests, as powerless as they are. There has been a massive influx of Syrian refugees in Europe that no-one is talking about. My government is now basically refusing real help to refugees from the Ukraine conflict, much less brown people from the Middle East who now have to sleep on benches in the park around the main train station in Prague and eat from dumpsters while local groups like Food not Bombs are more overworked than ever and loving winter is around the corner.

America is currently officially at war in Syria, Somalia and Yemen. Unofficially, well that's anybody's guess.

Whether or not propaganda works or not ( no-one is actually stating that people are too dumb to distuingish fantasy from reality ), this is propaganda. And it's saying that these people, whose entire job, nay calling ( "I'm a fighter pilot Ice. It's not what I am, but who I am ), is killing other people in very sophisticated ways, are loving cool.

It's interesting you bring up Commando, because just like Commando ( a more interesting movie at the least ) the unreality is pretty important. Because I bet Commando wouldn't be half as enjoyable if it were set in Chile and Arnold personally executed Allende and similarly, you wouldn't think this movie was so good if it were set in Vietnam and Tom Cruise literally played John McCain dropping agent orange, bombing bridges, schools and whatnot. Lots of your fellow compatriots would of course think it's even cooler but lots of people would probably stop themselves and be like, hold on, this is hosed up. The distance that this movie places between real world places, people and consequences is the point. It's a nice safe fantasy, reassuring the viewer that the world is in some ways still the way it ought to be. Yeah, we now have women and black and brown people in the military, but we can still rely on them to bomb the right people when called upon.
In a post-Iraq era, with everything that has come out, with all the consequences, all the dead. Well I guess they didn't die on your soil so that's that. Because at the end of the day, you are literally the most comfortable people on the planet, but you still need these little comfort pieces telling you that it's ok, there are bad people in the world but we have not only the biggest, but also the coolest and now most diverse military in the world, who will save you. And those among you, who see through the evil loving bulshit just shrug and tell the rest of us that is just a movie.

weekly font posted:

And likely written on a phone or a computer with parts made by cheap, abusive, potentially child labor. Who is the monster now? We certainly do live in a society. Ho ho I am very smart.

And to you.
This is you.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ruddiger posted:

Because there was so much interesting discourse before their posts and this thread wasn’t wavering into falling from the first page, sure, okay.

Like, you guys can just ignore him and post about how fun the planes are for the 50th time in a row, but I guess the fun movies isn’t as fun to talk about if you have to zero in on the critique instead of posting what you like about the film (planes go brrrrr :blastu:)

Criticizing the film is one thing. Saying all americans are hooting hogs who jack off to kids getting white phosphorus dumped on them should go back to twitter and score points there.

Majkol posted:

And to you.
This is you.

lmao you’re so up your own rear end you dont realize I’m directly referencing that. Absolutely incredible self own

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The posts about propaganda were immediately dismissed or hand waved, to pretend otherwise is pretty weird.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ruddiger posted:

The posts about propaganda were immediately dismissed or hand waved, to pretend otherwise is pretty weird.

Ok but what about things I’m actually talking about

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Majkol posted:

I'm from the Czech republic, my gf of four years is Ukrainian and is literally there right now helping with the humanitarian effort, organizing aid over the border etc. and she, as a person who has better reasons to be pissed, to say the least, about Russia would think you are completely insane. This is cartoon, or as someone upthread has correctly pointed out, sports logic.
This isn't "Conor McGregor is a jackass and I'm going to watch his fight in the hopes he gets knocked out because I don't like him and am going to cheer for Dustin Poirer when he does".
The world doesn't work like that. Did you want to see F-18s gently caress Iraq up good? Cause they did, to the tune of 2 million dead civilians.

Biden could go on tv tomorrow, announce that a strike like that happened, and everyone would forget about the WMD lie and just accept at face value, that the target was legit and the actions taken were righteous and neccessary. poo poo, he probably wouldn't have to announce it because no-one cares, because as someone else has again pointed out, strikes happen all the time. The silent part is - and no-one stateside gives a gently caress anymore how many civilian casualties there were, no-one cares that kids in Pakistan are afraid to look at the skies because of drones. USA is the good guys.

*and just preemptively - the people who are writing things like "learn to separate entertainment/art from reality, like me, an adult you baby" - gently caress you, you don't get to sweep this bulshit under the rug. Not when fascism is on the rise all over the world. One of my best friends is an openly gay man of roma descent and yesterday we had a serious conversation about him maybe coming up with plan to move to another country because it is entirely possible that a few years from now, we will have a government that will not consider him an actual human being. Hungary is almost there already.
This is absolutely a fascist loving movie, how many times does Maverick tell Rooster "Do, don't think!" - we as always go back to Eco, and the aforementioned cult of action.

Crazy if true

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

If you actually posted something worth responding to people would want to talk about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Majkol posted:

Anyway, I am stepping away.
Pictured here, some kids enjoying Top Gun:Maverick.

*I didn't pay money for it. And the whole point was to make a stark comparison, to make you ask yourself why one thing bothers you more than the other. Like war is literally the worst human invention.

Lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If you want to get into it, there's a discussion to be had about how Maverick is the highest grossing movie in the world this year and the 12th highest of all-time. If the idea is that people who like this movie also like war crimes, things are looking pretty bleak for humanity.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

weekly font posted:

Criticizing the film is one thing. Saying all americans are hooting hogs who jack off to kids getting white phosphorus dumped on them should go back to twitter and score points there.

lmao you’re so up your own rear end you dont realize I’m directly referencing that. Absolutely incredible self own

Here's the thing, if posters on a forum, that has apparently moved leftward and is supposedly more thoughtful about things are ok with handwaving these aspects of this film as unimportant. Well I guess that doesn't bode well. Like I'm not engaging with the american public in general. I'm engaging with the posters in this thread who have presumably lived through the Iraq war and all that entails and still love this loving movie.

And Megaman's Jockstrap basically confirmed that anyway. His post basically boils down to "Top gun can't make things worse because they are already almost as bad as could be"

Wait, I self-owned because you were acting like the dumbass in the cartoon and pointing out that my criticism is futile? I may be missing something here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

weekly font posted:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

live with fruit posted:

If you want to get into it, there's a discussion to be had about how Maverick is the highest grossing movie in the world this year and the 12th highest of all-time. If the idea is that people who like this movie also like war crimes, things are looking pretty bleak for humanity.

I think it's more that they don't care. It's not happening here, better there than here, if that happened then the people *must* have done something to deserve it etc etc etc.

The citizens of most western countries have massive respect and trust in their military which is a massive problem.

And yeah, I know I'm mostly shouting into the void and do think that we are basically hosed. We didn't even get into how the us military is the single entity creating the most CO2 emissions in the world.

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit

Majkol posted:

Wait, I self-owned because you were acting like the dumbass in the cartoon and pointing out that my criticism is futile? I may be missing something here.

It's a thought-obliterating meme

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Majkol posted:

Like I'm not engaging with the american public in general. I'm engaging with the posters in this thread who have presumably lived through the Iraq war and all that entails and still love this loving movie.

Majkol posted:

Freakiest loving country on the planet.
Just as long as you get your burgs and the moving pictures that make you happy and you don't have to see the bodies of kids blown to shreds by your heroic knights in the sky or better yet, epic gamers using drones.

Majkol posted:

I think it's more that they don't care. It's not happening here, better there than here, if that happened then the people *must* have done something to deserve it etc etc etc.

The citizens of most western countries have massive respect and trust in their military which is a massive problem.

Sure.

And yeah I literally posted “i am very smart” directly referencing that comic and you were so dedicated to tilting at windmills you missed it. It’s you. You are the comic man.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 23, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Also, gas this thread

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

weekly font posted:

Sure.

And yeah I literally posted “i am very smart” directly referencing that comic. It’s you. You are the comic man.

What? I was not criticizing people for using technology? I was referencing posts where people are praising this film's ( excellent ) cinematography and execution while handwaving the criticisms. You are criticizing me for pointing out things I didn't like about the film. Do you understand the comic you referenced? I AM the person writing on an iphone ( well not really ) in the comic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I personally don't think the movie would have been as good if it was about rape instead of naval aviation

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Majkol posted:

What? I was not criticizing people for using technology? I was referencing posts where people are praising this film's ( excellent ) cinematography and execution while handwaving the criticisms. You are criticizing me for pointing out things I didn't like about the film. Do you understand the comic you referenced? I AM the person writing on an iphone ( well not really ) in the comic.

Your dedication to literalism actually gives your arguments a much clearer context now.

Anyway, I cant love war I’ve played Spec Ops: The Line.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I personally don't think the movie would have been as good if it was about rape instead of naval aviation

Controversial yet brave

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

weekly font posted:

Your dedication to literalism actually gives your arguments a much clearer context now.

Anyway, I cant love war I’ve played Spec Ops: The Line.

Controversial yet brave

I do have a lovely weird brain. Sorry.
I never owned a system that could play it but I watched let's plays. War is hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It'd be pretty tasteless to still call it Top Gun

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd be pretty tasteless to still call it Top Gun

It would just be called Tail Hook in that case.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
What have I done.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
When will Maverick make a cameo in the fast and furious franchise. He already loved to go fast, and now he also knows the value of family. He’s ready.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Napkin math tells me an F/A-18E can cover a quarter mile in 1.3 .76 seconds at top speed, but I think it probably loses to Dom's Charger if they both start standing still

EDIT: my napkin math, as it turns out, is poo poo

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 23, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Majkol posted:

And Megaman's Jockstrap basically confirmed that anyway. His post basically boils down to "Top gun can't make things worse because they are already almost as bad as could be"

No. Things are not almost as bad as they could be, not by a long shot. The coming decades of climate catastrophe will make that clear.

American Imperialism is created and sustained by a complex web of factors. One of them is our bad system of government. One of them is our fear- and violence-soaked culture. One of them is our news and media model. Each feeds into each other. And yes, Top Gun Maverick is a part of this. But it's such an innocuous and tiny part; a piece of fantasy first and propaganda second whose subject is...a handful of naval Fighter pilots doing a single targeted strike against a remote nuclear facility being built in violation of a treaty? You really think this is part of the spine of American Imperialism?

I guess what I'm asking is, isn't there something more positive you could be doing with this level of emotional energy than virtually yelling at strangers about a movie that contributes nearly nothing to American's eternal export of violence and misery to the rest of the world? I am not trying to shut down discussion, but this isn't discussion. It's a harangue.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hey buddy you don't know poo poo about me, but I'm actually a Somali immigrant whose suffered the effects of imperialism. And you're a loving jackass.

its people on the internet trying to own each other through cultural signifiers. Its pedantic, boring, and devalues the actual harm brought about by America's war machine. Try pulling yourself out of your own rear end in a top hat once in a while.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the unhinged poster said watching Maverick was the same as dropping phosphorous on little children jesus christ.

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

hey buddy you don't know poo poo about me, but I'm actually a Somali immigrant whose suffered the effects of imperialism. And you're a loving jackass.

its people on the internet trying to own each other through cultural signifiers. Its pedantic, boring, and devalues the actual harm brought about by America's war machine. Try pulling yourself out of your own rear end in a top hat once in a while.

lol

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Shageletic posted:

the unhinged poster said watching Maverick was the same as dropping phosphorous on little children jesus christ.

No-one said that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Majkol posted:

No-one said that.

you did tho. you likened watching Maverick to dropping chemical weapons. It's a hosed thing to do.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Shageletic posted:

you did tho. you likened watching Maverick to dropping chemical weapons. It's a hosed thing to do.

Where?
Seriously, if I did I apologize, and you are right, that would be hosed up, but I don't think I did.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 23, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No. Things are not almost as bad as they could be, not by a long shot. The coming decades of climate catastrophe will make that clear.

American Imperialism is created and sustained by a complex web of factors. One of them is our bad system of government. One of them is our fear- and violence-soaked culture. One of them is our news and media model. Each feeds into each other. And yes, Top Gun Maverick is a part of this.[b] But it's such an innocuous and tiny part; a piece of fantasy first and propaganda second whose subject is...a handful of naval Fighter pilots doing a single targeted strike against a remote nuclear facility being built in violation of a treaty? You really think this is part of the spine of American Imperialism?

I guess what I'm asking is, isn't there something more positive you could be doing with this level of emotional energy than virtually yelling at strangers about a movie that contributes nearly nothing to American's eternal export of violence and misery to the rest of the world? I am not trying to shut down discussion, but this isn't discussion. It's a harangue.

This 'innocuous and tiny part' is an anticipated sequel and summer blockbuster, starring a bankable hollywood mega-star, made in hand-in-hand collaboration with the United States Navy, that has made approximately one billion jillion dollars. Its central conceit is a 'preemptive' strike against a thinly disguised Iranian enrichment plant. As many posters have pointed out with enthusiasm, it is an exceedingly well shot and glossy film with great performances by attractive young actors, with a predictable script and plot nonetheless polished to a mirror sheen. It focuses absolutely on those elements of the military that the American public loves best: the camaraderie of soldiers in action, slick technology, hard decisions made by hard people, and nostalgia for the 'good' weapons and wars of yesteryear. War itself is entirely absent, excised, in a move that is emblematic of the disjoint between American's perception of the surgical superiority of its armed forces and the more discomforting question of how, why, and where those forces are being used. And whether you are intentionally doing it, or conscious of it, you are in fact trying to shut down discussion and turn away from the substance of the movie.

It is some absolutely magnificent propaganda.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Majkol posted:

Where?
Seriously, if I did I apologize, and you are right, that would be hosed up, but I don't think I did.

Majkol posted:

This was extremely well made but I fundamentally hated it.

And holy gently caress the americans in this thread defending this poo poo loving terrify me.
You would be so loving ready to support another american invasion of a sovereign country for whatever fake reason your leaders come up with, it's nuts.
Freakiest loving country on the planet.
Just as long as you get your burgs and the moving pictures that make you happy and you don't have to see the bodies of kids blown to shreds by your heroic knights in the sky or better yet, epic gamers using drones.

What do you think this means if you watched this movie and liked it? Do you think that means we support bombing kids abroad?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Majkol posted:

I literally just replaced military jet pilots with rapists

Lol. Those posts are wild.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s true. Only bloodthirsty american pigdogs lap up the propaganda slop cause they applaud for dead kids like its wwe oink oink

quote:

Internationally, the film has amassed $8.7 million across its 63 markets so far. The Joseph Kosinski-directed sequel has jet fuel and magic in its veins, rising to Paramount's biggest live-action picture across 37 markets including the United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Maintaining its cumulation from the previous weekend, globally, Maverick has grossed, to date, $720 million, without a major release in China or Russia…

The United Kingdom stays Top Gun: Maverick's highest earning international territory at a cumulative $98.5 million, followed up by Japan ($85.8 million), Korea ($64.6 million), Australia ($62.2 million), France ($54.7 million) and Germany ($34.8 million). In its 13th weekend, Maverick is netting over $24 million in Taiwan and over $21 million in Saudi Arabia and Brazil.

Goddamn America.

https://collider.com/top-gun-maverick-global-box-office-1-point-4-billion/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

weekly font posted:

Also, gas this thread

Planes drop bombs, not gas

Crosspost from some more people who love Maverick

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

An article on Breitbart

7 Ways ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Proves Hollywood’s Woke Gestapo Wrong

I want more movies full of Gay sex

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Majkol posted:

It's wild that it's the new Top Gun movie of all things that brings back the dreaded "it's just a movie, don't think about it too much dude". Like the responses in this thread are mostly "you are yucking my yum dude". Like can't I just express my opinion? Yeah, I am passionate about this. My country is also a huge exporter of arms and I loving hate it and regularly attend protests, as powerless as they are. There has been a massive influx of Syrian refugees in Europe that no-one is talking about. My government is now basically refusing real help to refugees from the Ukraine conflict, much less brown people from the Middle East who now have to sleep on benches in the park around the main train station in Prague and eat from dumpsters while local groups like Food not Bombs are more overworked than ever and loving winter is around the corner.

America is currently officially at war in Syria, Somalia and Yemen. Unofficially, well that's anybody's guess.

Whether or not propaganda works or not ( no-one is actually stating that people are too dumb to distuingish fantasy from reality ), this is propaganda. And it's saying that these people, whose entire job, nay calling ( "I'm a fighter pilot Ice. It's not what I am, but who I am ), is killing other people in very sophisticated ways, are loving cool.

It's interesting you bring up Commando, because just like Commando ( a more interesting movie at the least ) the unreality is pretty important. Because I bet Commando wouldn't be half as enjoyable if it were set in Chile and Arnold personally executed Allende and similarly, you wouldn't think this movie was so good if it were set in Vietnam and Tom Cruise literally played John McCain dropping agent orange, bombing bridges, schools and whatnot. Lots of your fellow compatriots would of course think it's even cooler but lots of people would probably stop themselves and be like, hold on, this is hosed up. The distance that this movie places between real world places, people and consequences is the point. It's a nice safe fantasy, reassuring the viewer that the world is in some ways still the way it ought to be. Yeah, we now have women and black and brown people in the military, but we can still rely on them to bomb the right people when called upon.
In a post-Iraq era, with everything that has come out, with all the consequences, all the dead. Well I guess they didn't die on your soil so that's that. Because at the end of the day, you are literally the most comfortable people on the planet, but you still need these little comfort pieces telling you that it's ok, there are bad people in the world but we have not only the biggest, but also the coolest and now most diverse military in the world, who will save you. And those among you, who see through the evil loving bulshit just shrug and tell the rest of us that is just a movie.

How do you feel about the time half the Ghostbusters invaded your country?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=765b-T5P450

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ruddiger posted:

This guy from The Arab Weekly seemed to really love Maverick too

https://thearabweekly.com/top-gun-maverick-shows-jingoism-out-fashion-hollywood-0

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Planes drop bombs, not gas

Wow! Bad people like this movie too! What an argument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What the gently caress is happening in here?

Chill out and quit trying to act like people who enjoyed this movie are bloodthirsty alt right freaks.