Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Majkol posted:

*faaaaart*

"Liking this film means you don't that the US is blowing up people abroad", " It's a subtle movie" , "i'm not suggesting I'm morally superior to anyone" just lmao. What an insane thing to post. Yeah buddy, Top Gun is sure subtle about its propaganda, super subtle, no one caught on to that, thankfully you're here to educate everyone on what terrible people they are for being indifferent to US bombing weddings in the middle east by liking Top Gun.

I said come in! posted:

You're fine, you did nothing wrong. No one wants to think or engage with the movie, that's not on you. The planes looked cool, that is as far as most want to take this movie.

"No one wants to admit water is wet, only us dare admit this forbidden truth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Top Scold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

This is kind of an rear end in a top hat-ish assumption, imo. You don't know me or anyone else posting in this thread. Saying the quoted line above but then also saying...

...seems to be at odds. Assigning moral culpability through entertainment is some low-rent discourse.

lol this is such a thin skinned take. Are you really this fragile?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

McCloud posted:

"Liking this film means you don't that the US is blowing up people abroad", " It's a subtle movie" , "i'm not suggesting I'm morally superior to anyone" just lmao. What an insane thing to post. Yeah buddy, Top Gun is sure subtle about its propaganda, super subtle, no one caught on to that, thankfully you're here to educate everyone on what terrible people they are for being indifferent to US bombing weddings in the middle east by liking Top Gun.

"No one wants to admit water is wet, only us dare admit this forbidden truth"

Alright one last post, and then I'm just going to read. I'm not saying I possess secret knowledge dude, but people in the thread were actually pointing to the focus on the interpersonal stuff as a reason why this was more palatable to them. You hash it out with them buddy, not me.

Where is the line?
That's what the lovely rape metaphor was for.
Where is the line where this becomes as bad for you as it has for other posters.
Please indulge me and try to imagine a version of this film that is as well executed as this, that you would find as distasteful as I or others do. What actions does it portray as heroic, that you would find distasteful? Or would you still like it if were realistic and they were actually bombing a water treatment plant or a school? If you know that that's what the military actually does, why does this lie not bother you?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

I'm not the one trying to project myself as some moral superiority figure for not liking a movie lol.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'm glad I have room in my heart to both care about real world issues, and also to hoot, holler and fist pump when Maverick completes the 2:15 run

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Loved the movie but I also think iran has the right to procure nuclear arms to defend itself from American aggression

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Majkol posted:

Alright one last post, and then I'm just going to read. I'm not saying I possess secret knowledge dude, but people in the thread were actually pointing to the focus on the interpersonal stuff as a reason why this was more palatable to them. You hash it out with them buddy, not me.

Where is the line?
That's what the lovely rape metaphor was for.
Where is the line where this becomes as bad for you as it has for other posters.
Please indulge me and try to imagine a version of this film that is as well executed as this, that you would find as distasteful as I or others do. What actions does it portray as heroic, that you would find distasteful? Or would you still like it if were realistic and they were actually bombing a water treatment plant or a school? If you know that that's what the military actually does, why does this lie not bother you?

https://youtu.be/915VXjd4Ta4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The movie avoids mentioning specific countries because it's basically a sports movie but they took the sports and made them fuckin rad fighter planes

It's like mighty ducks mixed with star wars

maybe the unnamed enemy is actually iceland

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best and funniest subtle propaganda part in the original is when a navy recruitment poster is slowly entering the frame beyond the hot guys in the locker room and everyone still signed up for the air force anyway

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Imagine you're irl talking with some ppl at the pub about why they did or didn't like a movie. Then someone comes screaming in about how everyone in there wants to bomb Cambodia or whatever because they saw it. How are you supposed to respond to that. Like it's been pointed out before, Top Gun valorizing portions of the US military, like any movie involving the military, even loving Paths of Glory, is pretty evident to anyone posting here.

It's just a badly socialized attempt at trying to be superior to a bunch of strangers. Who cares lol.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The key thing is nobody’s actually disputing that the film is pro-military and propagandistic in that way. The thread doesn’t dwell on it for the most part because that’s not, like, something anyone is seriously attempting to argue against.

Every so often someone comes in and makes the astonishing revelation that this film is Navy propaganda and the reaction is “yes, and?” Like what do you want the response to be? What do you want from us, fellow poster?

:hmmyes:

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

Imagine you're irl talking with some ppl at the pub about why they did or didn't like a movie. Then someone comes screaming in about how everyone in there wants to bomb Cambodia or whatever because they saw it. How are you supposed to respond to that. Like it's been pointed out before, Top Gun valorizing portions of the US military, like any movie involving the military, even loving Paths of Glory, is pretty evident to anyone posting here.

It's just a badly socialized attempt at trying to be superior to a bunch of strangers. Who cares lol.

Paths of Glory is the french army

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Saw this again last night, only the third time I've ever seen a movie twice in theaters. Might see it a third if my dad wants to go. I think I liked it even more this time, I really enjoyed Hangman and Bob even more rewatching it, and loved the reaction of the people next to me on the fade after Maverick gets shot down, they thought the movie was actually over.

As for the propaganda elements of the movie, I preferred that the movie just takes for granted this action is going to happen. There's no moralizing about it, no time spent pretending they are worried about civilian casualties or anything. It's happening, the military doesn't really care about what it takes to get it done, even if it costs their pilots lives. If you are going to give me slick plane propaganda, I appreciate not also trying to tell me the military is soft and caring too.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

RBA Starblade posted:

The best and funniest subtle propaganda part in the original is when a navy recruitment poster is slowly entering the frame beyond the hot guys in the locker room and everyone still signed up for the air force anyway

???

Everyone in Top Gun is in the Navy...

Do you mean real life recruitment wise? Because most people understood it was a Navy movie, about Navy pilots...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PneumonicBook posted:

???

Everyone in Top Gun is in the Navy...

Do you mean real life recruitment wise? Because most people understood it was a Navy movie, about Navy pilots...

Notably, the USAF received a recruitment boost with the original as well. Not everyone got the hint lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If the movie was about the navy they'd be flying navplanes instead of airplanes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

If the movie was about the navy they'd be flying boats instead of airplanes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

basically whether you joined the navy or the airforce afterwards was entirely based upon your reaction to the volleyball scene

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

basically whether you joined the navy or the airforce afterwards was entirely based upon your reaction to the volleyball scene

gently caress, that explains why the Air Force got infiltrated by evangelical Christians

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there some particular reason you need a two person jet plus a one person jet to fire a laser guided missile? Seems like the guy in the second jet just hits the “fire missile” button and someone in the first jet could do that too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

smackfu posted:

Is there some particular reason you need a two person jet plus a one person jet to fire a laser guided missile? Seems like the guy in the second jet just hits the “fire missile” button and someone in the first jet could do that too.

Looking up some movie reaction videos by military pilots, the Weapons Systems Officer's sole job is to put a laser on the target for the pilot in the single seat Hornet; they aren't splitting their concentration with flying the jet at the same time.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Jennifer Connelly is really hot

she's the goat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlW1w6gCWr8

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Was there an answer to why they didn't just drone strike/swarm the target?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

magiccarpet posted:

The massive crazy ridiculous amount of SAMs and advanced aircraft guarding the site, and also that story would have sucked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magiccarpet posted:

In the opening scene Maverick proved drones stink.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They Tomahawk'd the poo poo out of the airfield but the reason they can't just do the same with the bunker is IIRC that bunker-buster bombs are really heavy and rely on the energy of the plane dropping them in addition to just gravity. Their penetrator warheads are also a bit too heavy for mounting on a missile, I think

As for why they didn't Tomahawk the SAM sites as well: certain advanced models of SAMs can actually detect and intercept incoming missiles as well as aircraft. You can certainly saturate them with enough missiles, but

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

also that story would have sucked.

If they wanted to keep the story pilot-focused it could have been cool to have few planes carrying HARMs though -- SEAD is a really interesting cat-and-mouse dynamic between the SAM and the airplane trying to kill it but it probably would have been a bit too nuanced to fit in cleany with the rest of the finale.

Top Gun 3: Wild Weasel would be loving sick though

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Now I want Top Gun: Hangman that is basically Johnny Bravo with planes.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The goofy geopolitics of this movie is breaking my brain days after seeing it. The first Top Gun strained credibility with it's focus on dogfighting, so it's not like this was gonna be any different, but I just can't get past the premise of a "rogue nation" that doesn't have nuclear weapons yet can afford to buy/train/maintain a small fleet of fifth generation fighters. An Iran that suddenly got wealthy and wasn't stripping their existing airframes for spare parts?

That leaves a narrative that might as well be pulled from a late-Victorian Imperial British novel, a romantic depiction of war as a place to test one's mettle, be a patriot, and find love.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm confused now.

Is the movie so fake it breaks brains or is it so real and relevant that I'm participating in a war crime just by watching it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm confused now.

Is the movie so fake it breaks brains or is it so real and relevant that I'm participating in a war crime just by watching it?

Correct

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Never thought I'd see the day where a silly action movie would break so many brains lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ninjahedgehog posted:

They Tomahawk'd the poo poo out of the airfield but the reason they can't just do the same with the bunker is IIRC that bunker-buster bombs are really heavy and rely on the energy of the plane dropping them in addition to just gravity. Their penetrator warheads are also a bit too heavy for mounting on a missile, I think

As for why they didn't Tomahawk the SAM sites as well: certain advanced models of SAMs can actually detect and intercept incoming missiles as well as aircraft. You can certainly saturate them with enough missiles, but

If they wanted to keep the story pilot-focused it could have been cool to have few planes carrying HARMs though -- SEAD is a really interesting cat-and-mouse dynamic between the SAM and the airplane trying to kill it but it probably would have been a bit too nuanced to fit in cleany with the rest of the finale.

Top Gun 3: Wild Weasel would be loving sick though

Honestly I would've been down for a montage of the Top Gun pilots flying and doing things alongside boring drone stuff, and Ed Harris being an rear end in a top hat about it, and the twist being the Air Force flying out of Area 51 with a psychically controlled fighter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maarak posted:

The goofy geopolitics of this movie is breaking my brain days after seeing it. The first Top Gun strained credibility with it's focus on dogfighting, so it's not like this was gonna be any different, but I just can't get past the premise of a "rogue nation" that doesn't have nuclear weapons yet can afford to buy/train/maintain a small fleet of fifth generation fighters. An Iran that suddenly got wealthy and wasn't stripping their existing airframes for spare parts?

That leaves a narrative that might as well be pulled from a late-Victorian Imperial British novel, a romantic depiction of war as a place to test one's mettle, be a patriot, and find love.

North Korea bought a bunch of 5th Generation Fighters with bitcoin right before the bubble burst.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
^^^^ god loving dammit

Maarak posted:

North Korea is making serious bank off of crypto

I went into Topgun 2 expecting it to be like the first, blatant propaganda funding a fun (and homoerotic) action film. And it mostly hit that. The action was genuinely fantastic, however much fewer locker scenes.

I give it 4 imperialist stars out of 5.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 31, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Never thought I'd see the day where a silly action movie would break so many brains lol

It’s what happens when your brain is a poo poo warzone

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I can't decide if the movie is asking for too much suspension of disbelief or if it's just me because I am prior military and worked with aircraft doing airstrikes.

That aside I just didn't care at the end of the movie about all the other pilots that were just background the whole movie to rooster and mav. So the clips of them in the end with their callsigns felt meh. A lot of the fun in the first movie comes from the competition in training to be the best and this movie the most time was spent on creating a stressful atmosphere training for the mission. That's not what I wanted from a top gun sequel.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

MassRafTer posted:

North Korea bought a bunch of 5th Generation Fighters with bitcoin right before the bubble burst.

Mega Comrade posted:

^^^^ god loving dammit

North Korea is making serious bank off of crypto

Y'all realize the DPRK already has nuclear weapons and delivery systems right? As of almost sixteen years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maarak posted:

Y'all realize the DPRK already has nuclear weapons and delivery systems right? As of almost sixteen years ago?

This movie is fictional, it doesn't take place in our current reality which is why Maverick flew the fictional "Darkstar" at the start of the film instead of the real "Aurora" that actually exists.