Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like rewatching Days of Thunder now since i ever only saw it the one time my NASCAR loving grandfather took me to see it

doesn't look like it's streaming anywhere but hulu though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

PS. the football scene wasn't quite homoerotic enough IMO

1,000% agreed, also thread title.

Also put me down for solidly in the "Daynga Zown opening owns bones" camp.

VVV Fashion trends operate on a 30 year cycle, so it makes sense. 50s poo poo was bit in the 80s, 80s in the 2010's, etc

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 3, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it's weird that Rooster wears the same clothes and hair as his father from 30(?) years ago, but I guess I wear my dad's politics from 30 years ago, so to each his own.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched it again today in a Dolby theaters. Flying is so good with the bigger screen and enhanced sound.

One aspect I likes is that avoids that legacy sequel trope of making the lead who succeeded in the past suddenly alone and unhappy at the start of the sequel. Sure, Maverick isn’t an admiral and is currently single, but he’s got new friends and is test pilot for the fastest aircraft. He’s got all the speed he needs.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

General Dog posted:

I think it's weird that Rooster wears the same clothes and hair as his father from 30(?) years ago, but I guess I wear my dad's politics from 30 years ago, so to each his own.

It's easier to be buy when you consider that his dad died when he was a toddler and he's followed in his footsteps professionally.

I like the reading that the movie is actually about Tom Cruise and the movie industry. Especially the part at the beginning where Maverick is accused of selfishly chasing glory and he says it's about saving jobs. The whole thing is Cruise writing his own hagiography but it is effective.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

I mean, they had a girl there.
No kidding, yuck.

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, there's Tarantino's rant from Sleep with Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSV35A1cQDM and this old montage that it inspired likeley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPVRh0ngUo

checkplease posted:

Watched it again today in a Dolby theaters. Flying is so good with the bigger screen and enhanced sound.

One aspect I likes is that avoids that legacy sequel trope of making the lead who succeeded in the past suddenly alone and unhappy at the start of the sequel. Sure, Maverick isn’t an admiral and is currently single, but he’s got new friends and is test pilot for the fastest aircraft. He’s got all the speed he needs.
Yeah I actually saw it in Dolby as well. It was great but nothing to compare to. Completely forgot IMAX even existed, so maybe i'll give it another go.

General Dog posted:

I wear the same clothes and hair as my father from 30 years ago :colbert:

(we're bald)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Tarantino is lame, Johnny has it right about Top Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRY3cC2mNY

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I actually saw it in Dolby as well. It was great but nothing to compare to. Completely forgot IMAX even existed, so maybe i'll give it another go.

I had option for either Dolby or Imax. But Dolby near me has better seats, so that decided it. I’m not sure which is actually better sound and visuals though.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
On a scale from 1 to 10, how gay is the sequel?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

probably like a 4, not a lot of homoerotic tension and the shirtless beach scene is shorter and has a woman in it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bodhidharma posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how gay is the sequel?

the original being a 10, this one is like, a negative 6

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, Maverick is def in a relationship with Iceman in this.

But yeah the hangman rooster combo doesn’t have the same chemistry.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

checkplease posted:

But yeah the hangman rooster combo doesn’t have the same chemistry.

Hangman's problem is that others think he gets people killed and Iceman's problem is he thinks Maverick gets people killed.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah Hangman is just a new young Tom Cruise from the first top gun. It makes a nice contrast to show how his character has grown

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

checkplease posted:

Dudes rock alliance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

checkplease posted:

Yeah Hangman is just a new young Tom Cruise from the first top gun. It makes a nice contrast to show how his character has grown

oh jeez i feel really dumb for not picking up on that

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hangman more like Hang Solo cause of that Death Star trench ending

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mobby_6kl posted:

PS. the football scene wasn't quite homoerotic enough IMO

The texts between Iceman and Maverick were homoerotic-ish.

"I need to see you"

"I wasn't asking."

The implication is there at least, imo.

I wouldn't have minded surface-level sexual tension between Rooster and Hangman though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just got out of seeing this and its probably the best Tom Cruise movie in like loving decades and that's including the absolutely baller last Mission Impossible. Its so loving good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just read an article saying that Manny Jacinto was one of the pilot candidates but basically got all his scenes cut. So you can see him in the background of shots but he has no lines.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

precision posted:

oh jeez i feel really dumb for not picking up on that

Rooster is in the iceman spot obviously, but I think he’s kind of his own thing built around saving others and not pushing it to the limit.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

Just read an article saying that Manny Jacinto was one of the pilot candidates but basically got all his scenes cut. So you can see him in the background of shots but he has no lines.

Yeah I hope we get to see all the cut scenes at some point. There were a lot of pilots but maybe 6 or 7 got real screen time

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Saw it, loved it. I love Tom Cruise 4 eva.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The next-gen fighter of the not-Iranians pulls a freaky dodge maneuver, pilots go: :gonk: "What the gently caress was that?" -that was a good moment. Watched this movie with my date and we both agreed it was even better than expected. Good movie, would recommend. Jennifer Connelly is so hot, btw.

If you feel moments of disbelief with some scenes, remember that many of the events in the movie are modelled after real events to some degree. Pilots steal an enemy aircraft? Bob Hoover did it in WW2, the guy was a real legend. Insane trench run below air defenses? Read up about the Mach Loop in Wales used for training. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_Loop

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
How awkward are the Val Kilmer scenes in this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not at all

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought it was pretty good. They didn’t shy away from what he’s going through in real life or tried hiding it at all and just made him part of Iceman’s character.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drunkboxer posted:

His scene with Mav is probably the best one in the film apart from the action.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Just got out of seeing this and its probably the best Tom Cruise movie in like loving decades and that's including the absolutely baller last Mission Impossible. Its so loving good.

I don't know if it's a better movie than the past couple of Mission Impossibles, but it's definitely his best performance in a long time.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/box-office-top-gun-tom-cruises-biggest-film-1235158714/

the box office performance is *insane*. 2nd weekend drop of 29%.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Rewatching the original. This is a very sweaty movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought it was pretty good. They didn’t shy away from what he’s going through in real life or tried hiding it at all and just made him part of Iceman’s character.

teagone posted:

His scene with Mav is probably the best one in the film apart from the action.

That’s good. I read that they used an AI generated voice and had some apprehension

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard that Val isn't doing great nowadays but never seen him and had no idea what the actual condition was. It was pretty shocking to see him considering he and Tom had to be +/- the same age in the original movie.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've heard that Val isn't doing great nowadays but never seen him and had no idea what the actual condition was. It was pretty shocking to see him considering he and Tom had to be +/- the same age in the original movie.

According to the documentary I watched about him his health is fine now he just lost his voice due to throat cancer 7 years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i didn't think he looked "bad", in fact i think he has aged a lot better than Cruise. other than the throat he's fine i assume

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cruise's face looks like an old and not very happy football

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Just saw it.

This movie is unabashedly military propaganda and a great ad for a preemptive strike on Iran's underground nuclear facilities in the mountains by Israel. That's literally the plot lmao, swap out the US and NotRussia for Israel and Iran. The fact that this is gonna make like 600 million in America is terrifying, especially with dumb Americans already whipped up into a gung ho militarist frenzy over Russia/Ukraine by the State Department's propaganda machine.

Oh, and discount Iceman sucked.

Gresh fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 7, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don’t think it’s meant to be Iran. The director talks about how they intentionally made it vague so as to not make it about war. Also of note, Iran does not have 5th gen fighters which was a big obstacle.

The idea is that the original top gun is basically a high school/college sports movie complete with a trophy and locker room antics.

This one is more of a heist film with Maverick being brought in to put together the perfect crew for the ultimate mission. It’s like fast five with everyone racing to beat the cameras (and failing) before changing the mission. But here Maverick shows them how to fly faster.

I won’t argue the propaganda aspects as yes it is the military flying cool jets. But they did seem kind of incompetent until they brought in a Tom Cruise.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

General Dog posted:

Not just the hair and clothes - the exact same sunglasses and terrible mo and played the same song. It felt a little too much - maybe 3 of those would have been enough to make the point.

But yeah this was pretty drat good. Way better than it had any right to be. Amazing how they managed to make phone texting and reading text off a monitor actually have impact. Maybe up there as one of the best sequels ever?

Was nice that his love interest wasn’t way younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gresh posted:

Just saw it.

This movie is unabashedly military propaganda and great