Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

checkplease posted:

I don’t think it’s meant to be Iran. The director talks about how they intentionally made it vague so as to not make it about war. Also of note, Iran does not have 5th gen fighters which was a big obstacle.

But also of note, Iran is the only country that still flies F14s.

It's not meant to be any real country, but it's a lot more like Iran than Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed there. It definitely couldn’t be a Russia or China without risk of much bigger conflict. You could probably come up with a scenario where Russia or China sells an Iran or North Korea its best fighter jets, but then they probably would have a stronger defense agreement too. Countries don’t want a someone foolishly leaking their best tech to other nations.

So yeah just best to understand as a heist or the Star Wars trench run. Is Maverick both Obi Wan and Han Solo then?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hangman is Han

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay, you know, i really do not think i would call the first or second film "military propaganda".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

okay, you know, i really do not think i would call the first or second film "military propaganda".

The Navy literally set up recruiting stations outside theaters when the first movie came out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

Hangman is Han

Oh yeah he does come in and save them from an enemy fighter in the same way.

I guess Maverick is like what if Obi wan just didn’t die and then helped on on the mission.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

The Navy literally set up recruiting stations outside theaters when the first movie came out.

that doesn't mean the film is propaganda though

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
In what universe are the movies all about how awesome fighter planes are and how cool it is to be an elite fighter pilot, filmed with the full cooperation of the US military, not pro-military propaganda

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 8, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maybe it's not as explicit is a better way to describe it? Odd I know, all things considered, lol. But I sorta get what Precsision means. Top Gun, and more so Top Gun Maverick, both feel like they're more focused on the emotional drama/relationships between the characters and any jingoistic display of military might is just a byproduct of narrative context. Like you could drop the emotional core of Maverick's story into a sports setting and it would work I guess? You can't really say the same about a movie like, I dunno, Captain Marvel lol.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gresh posted:

Just saw it.

This movie is unabashedly military propaganda and a great ad for a preemptive strike on Iran's underground nuclear facilities in the mountains by Israel. That's literally the plot lmao, swap out the US and NotRussia for Israel and Iran. The fact that this is gonna make like 600 million in America is terrifying, especially with dumb Americans already whipped up into a gung ho militarist frenzy over Russia/Ukraine by the State Department's propaganda machine.

Oh, and discount Iceman sucked.
shut up, nerd.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I guess it’s a question of intention with propaganda. Do you need to intend to influence the audience to support your idea? But yes the top gun films definitely make flying jets look really cool. And historically the first top gun was a good ad for the navy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think i can agree that they're propaganda about how cool and right war in general is, i just don't think they're specifically American propaganda

the talk about the ambiguity of the villains is what made me think about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Maybe it's not as explicit is a better way to describe it? Odd I know, all things considered, lol. But I sorta get what Precsision means. Top Gun, and more so Top Gun Maverick, both feel like they're more focused on the emotional drama/relationships between the characters and any jingoistic display of military might is just a byproduct of narrative context. Like you could drop the emotional core of Maverick's story into a sports setting and it would work I guess? You can't really say the same about a movie like, I dunno, Captain Marvel lol.

right, exactly :)

Iceman isn't a better American than Maverick. he's just a better warboy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flying Jets makes Flying Jets look cool. The movie merely captures how cool it is

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Flying Jets makes Flying Jets look cool. The movie merely captures how cool it is

Sure, but also the climax of the film involves blowing up probably a hundred Iranian scientists and government workers. There's not exactly a montage showing all the funerals

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No that's the enemy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

No that's the enemy

Top Gun: Maverick but every time someone says "the enemy" it's overdubbed with "human beings, with hopes and dreams and people who love them"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Facility was obviously empty at time of strike. And we did see the one enemy jet eject safely at least. GI joe rules are in play here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Any depiction of war that doesn't try to horrify and physically sicken you is morally indefensible. Many war films also succeed at being kickin' rad action-packed thrill rides, such as both Top Gun movies. It's ok to enjoy problematic things as long as you're a critical consumer of it, so that it doesn't function as propaganda (for you, at least).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 8, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Any depiction of war that doesn't try to horrify and physically sicken you is morally indefensible.

what about when we did war on nazis though

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

precision posted:

what about when we did war on nazis though

true, war becomes pleasant if it's justified

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Top Gun: Maverick but every time someone says "the enemy" it's overdubbed with "human beings, with hopes and dreams and people who love them"

The implication is that they were developing nuclear weapons.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The implication is that they were developing nuclear weapons.

good point -- people working at a government facility developing bombs wouldn't have families or funerals

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

good point -- people working at a government facility developing bombs wouldn't have families or funerals

They probably should've thought about them before taking a job building weapons of mass destruction.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

live with fruit posted:

They probably should've thought about them before taking a job building weapons of mass destruction.

Exactly, war and death aren't awful and don't evoke grief or trauma if the people dying are bad guys who deserve it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That's what they said when I signed up for the Navy at the movie theater.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

We are not all interpellated subjects of the State, ideology doesn't exist, and we are all sovereign moral beings. We aren't all suffering together on this little rock in space, and the loss of human life in service to the bloody clash of nation-states is not to be mourned. I'm glad we're in agreement

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one was killed making this film

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Top Gun is more morally good than John Landis films

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

precision posted:

lol. lmao.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are there any apolitical films about how rad jets are?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

Top Gun is more morally good than John Landis films

:haibrow:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It might be propaganda but it's correct and everyone should be bombing Russia

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sure, but also the climax of the film involves blowing up probably a hundred Iranian scientists and government workers. There's not exactly a montage showing all the funerals

Weren't they just blowing up a supply depot? I don't think it was a base or anything; they never mentioned anything about enemy personnel being at the target location. It was like a bunker housing plutonium stores or whatever.

[edit] Not saying military intellgence is perfect and has never accidentally bombed civilians, but I feel like the movie goes out of its way to ensure that what the good guys are doing ensures no loss of life on both sides unless absolutely necessary.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 8, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Weren't they just blowing up a supply depot? I don't think it was a base or anything; they never mentioned anything about enemy personnel being at the target location. It was like a bunker housing plutonium stores or whatever.

[edit] Not saying military intellgence is perfect and has never accidentally bombed civilians, but I feel like the movie goes out of its way to ensure that what the good guys are doing ensures no loss of life on both sides unless absolutely necessary.
It's like an enrichment plant and I think they never mention if it's manned. I think it's pretty safe to assume that there would be lots of engineers and operators there. Buuut if you sign up to make WMDs, that's the deal I suppose, just like the contractors on the Death Star.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

It's like an enrichment plant and I think they never mention if it's manned. I think it's pretty safe to assume that there would be lots of engineers and operators there. Buuut if you sign up to make WMDs, that's the deal I suppose, just like the contractors on the Death Star.

Ahh. Makes sense. RIP morally bankrupt scientists.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Any depiction of war that doesn't try to horrify and physically sicken you is morally indefensible. Many war films also succeed at being kickin' rad action-packed thrill rides, such as both Top Gun movies. It's ok to enjoy problematic things as long as you're a critical consumer of it, so that it doesn't function as propaganda (for you, at least).

Thankfully there is no declaration of war here so we can enjoy the cool jets without it being problematic.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pro military stuff:
-flying jets fast looks cool and fun and gets girls
-u.s. justified to attack enemy nuke plant
- u.s navy wins and no u.s. people die

Anti military stuff:
-u.s. navy command willing to create missions where it’s pilots will die.
- only Maverick wanted to run mission so that no pilots died. Command fought against this!
- death only prevented by a single pilots talent (Maverick) and not smart command decisions
-all pilots but Maverick were not able to do mission without his help.
-u.s navy command willing to leave a shot down pilot behind.
-Maverick is only saved after being shot down because rooster disobeys orders.
-navy willing to burn a 30 year service pilot when they don’t like him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

true, war becomes pleasant if it's justified

lmao :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

checkplease posted:

-navy willing to burn a 30 year service pilot when they don’t like him.

This part actually tracks. The U.S. Navy has an up-or-out policy; you either get promoted or you're gone. Maverick wouldn't have been a captain for 36 years. So the Navy seeing him as disposable isn't at all unrealistic.