Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I had some minor bugs at launch, but after that one big mega-patch everything seems fine on my end, though I mostly stick to Dogmatic/Iconoclast choices, so if there's anything wonky with Heretical playthroughs I can't help you there- you heretic :commissar:

EDIT: Huh, turns out you can snipe with a bolt pistol, who knew :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Gamepad controls are good in general. There were some bugs with them early on, but now they're mostly fix. You still have some very strange decisions. Like every move with a stick is registered by the game for voiceovers, so unless you turn off voices you constantly here your MC saying "yeah I'm going". On a galactic map selecting a system with cursor is bugged, and default method is using stick to select a system in the direction of the stick, only it has no distance limit so when you open up a map it's very hard to hop into a neighbouring system that is 30 degrees from the North, your cursor jumps on the other side of the galaxy.

But other than that and some conversations allowing me to say something out of place (like "ok I will help you" immoderately after "here I've helped you give me my reward". It didn't break any scripts from what I can tell) it looks relatively stable. When I've played BG3 after a couple of patches it was in a worse state.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Having not played 40k since 6th edition, when did they decide on the renaming of Eldar/Dark Eldar and adding the monkey thing for humans?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

monkeigh has been around for as long as I've known about 40k so at least 15 years?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The wave of official renames came around 2014. I guess everybody knows it's because of copyright. Eldar is the word used by Tolkien so if you sell your own Dark Eldar toy soldiers there's nothing Games workshop can do about it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Having not played 40k since 6th edition, when did they decide on the renaming of Eldar/Dark Eldar and adding the monkey thing for humans?

My introduction to 40K was with Dawn of War, and monkeigh was tossed around plenty by the Eldar in that game, so it was in common use in the franchise by 2004, 20 years ago.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My brain must have actively shut out that word then before, it's used much that I grew numb to it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is on sale on steam and I'm interested in playing it, but all the reviews I have read mention it having more bugs than the Tyranids. Has that largely been fixed over time?

So I've played 100 hours, I've had a few breaking bugs. Like broken quests and stuff but nothing game ending.

The biggest issues the game has are not bugs though. Some of the game systems are straight up garbage and almost made me stop playing.

Colony management and the map in general. This is just a time sink. There's nothing interesting about travelling and the colony management is very shallow.

Levelling up. There are like a hundred skills. But not really in a skill tree more of a flat list that becomes increasingly tedious.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

YMMV regarding space travel and colony management. I enjoy colony decisions even if they don't matter much. Minor events while travelling are also well written, the devs clearly liked Sunless Sea/Skies. Space battles can feel like a chore though. And if you don't secure your travelling paths you'll encounter tactical combat (something goes wrong inside your ships and you have to fight something chaotic) which is usually more than just a generic fight but still not very interesting.

The game would probably be tighter and better without all of this, but for some people it's more than just tediousness. Then again, I'm still only half way through the game, maybe I'll get fed up with all that too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thanks for the input all, I ended up buying it last night. It's fun, although it is a bit clunky for sure.

Aa long as the story is good I feel like I will end up putting up with jank so long as it is not gamebreaking. Kind of the reverse Baldur's Gate 3, which had great mechanics but also I got through the second act and found that I just was losing interest in the story.

That being said, I am already chafing a bit against the alignment system, since it's a fundamental truth that locking abilities behind alignment messes with role playing. I only just got to the bridge and I'm already finding myself picking iconoclast options because that's what I already picked previously.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 8, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

My brain must have actively shut out that word then before, it's used much that I grew numb to it.

I had the same reaction. I don't recall it being used when I was reading the fluff back in high school, but apparently it was. I do remember the Tau gue'la though, so it should have been a hint that something equally goofy was in play elsewhere.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I have a growing suspicion that Bounty Hunter bonuses do not work at the moment. I can't see anything on character screen about effects from bounty hunting. Also every enemy icon is marked with "VII". I think it's supposed to be rank for the bounty hunter and I think they should be more varied?..

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilitarist posted:

YMMV regarding space travel and colony management. I enjoy colony decisions even if they don't matter much. Minor events while travelling are also well written, the devs clearly liked Sunless Sea/Skies. Space battles can feel like a chore though. And if you don't secure your travelling paths you'll encounter tactical combat (something goes wrong inside your ships and you have to fight something chaotic) which is usually more than just a generic fight but still not very interesting.

The game would probably be tighter and better without all of this, but for some people it's more than just tediousness. Then again, I'm still only half way through the game, maybe I'll get fed up with all that too.

The writing is fine and there's some interesting events, that said when you get a colony event and you need to go 10 jumps to the rear end end of no where with just the same events on every single jump then it grates. You've got 30 mins of game time to go and click through a couple of lines of dialogue. It just makes you not want to interact with that part of the game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ilitarist posted:

I have a growing suspicion that Bounty Hunter bonuses do not work at the moment. I can't see anything on character screen about effects from bounty hunting. Also every enemy icon is marked with "VII". I think it's supposed to be rank for the bounty hunter and I think they should be more varied?..

It works fine. Right click your attacks in the combat log, it'll show up there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aramoro posted:

The writing is fine and there's some interesting events, that said when you get a colony event and you need to go 10 jumps to the rear end end of no where with just the same events on every single jump then it grates.

Yeah I ended up saving all my navigator points to cut new routes to Dargonus from the other colonies to save time on this part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aramoro posted:

The writing is fine and there's some interesting events, that said when you get a colony event and you need to go 10 jumps to the rear end end of no where with just the same events on every single jump then it grates. You've got 30 mins of game time to go and click through a couple of lines of dialogue. It just makes you not want to interact with that part of the game.
You can manage your colonies from the screen you get by pressing Y, can't you?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nessus posted:

You can manage your colonies from the screen you get by pressing Y, can't you?

A lot of the events that occur after constructing an upgrade will make you travel to the planet to handle things "in person"

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A lot of the events that occur after constructing an upgrade will make you travel to the planet to handle things "in person"

I played the game when it first came out, and I remeber all the events you had to go in person for just causing your colonies to get unremovable giant maluses. I liked the little narratives each colony had for building things, but actually visiting never turned out well

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I played the game when it first came out, and I remeber all the events you had to go in person for just causing your colonies to get unremovable giant maluses. I liked the little narratives each colony had for building things, but actually visiting never turned out well
I just want to have a nice parade for after Abelard I cut down the planet's enemy, is that so wrong, Cyrahzax

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nessus posted:

I just want to have a nice parade for after Abelard I cut down the planet's enemy, is that so wrong, Cyrahzax

If anything, Abelard should get more parades

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If anything, Abelard should get more parades

After the ending I got no parades for Abelard

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Idira keeps falling unconscious and summoning demons. Am I just getting unlucky, or do I need to take measures to keep degradation as low as possible? I should have made note if it happens under 15 degradation, but I'm not sure. I gave her the backpack that revives her once, but it doesn't seem to work when she's AI-controlled, like on her first companion mission.

I don't use another psyker except Cassia who I think doesn't count, and actually has a talent to lower degradation when she uses offensive powers. By the way, Cassia's suddenly able to use those twice, but the second time triggers a small amount of direct self-damage. I have no idea why; her origin and homeworld are weird (not sure if the latter's supposed to be an in-universe redaction for some reason). When she got Held in My Gaze it came with a passive talent, which I don't think is right?

https://imgur.com/a/THK9OR7

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mordecai posted:

I don't use another psyker except Cassia who I think doesn't count, and actually has a talent to lower degradation when she uses offensive powers. By the way, Cassia's suddenly able to use those twice, but the second time triggers a small amount of direct self-damage. I have no idea why; her origin and homeworld are weird (not sure if the latter's supposed to be an in-universe redaction for some reason). When she got Held in My Gaze it came with a passive talent, which I don't think is right?

https://imgur.com/a/THK9OR7

You equipped a staff that lets you attack twice. Read the item description to learn more.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mordecai posted:

Idira keeps falling unconscious and summoning demons. Am I just getting unlucky, or do I need to take measures to keep degradation as low as possible? I should have made note if it happens under 15 degradation, but I'm not sure. I gave her the backpack that revives her once, but it doesn't seem to work when she's AI-controlled, like on her first companion mission.

There's a couple of items for Unbound Psykers aka Idira and only Idira that make having high warp degradation great. You're also going to want to max her Willpower asap. You can turn her into a glass cannon if you take pyromancy on top of telekinesis or you can take biomancy and make it so the first round of combat she's casting all her biomancy stuff for one less AP at a psi rating of ten. +40 strength and toughness for Abelard with a dozen HP regen for one AP is nice

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

30 hours into my post-patch fresh playthrough I've got some sort of awful Nomos bug and either need to replay 10 hours of I can fix it or go gently caress myself if I can't fix it. Very, very frustrating and it's sad how much bugs killed the hype.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

30 hours into my post-patch fresh playthrough I've got some sort of awful Nomos bug and either need to replay 10 hours of I can fix it or go gently caress myself if I can't fix it. Very, very frustrating and it's sad how much bugs killed the hype.

I think my Argenta quest bugged out, I had to go to the twin system but nothing ever happened when I did. It's annoying but unless it's game breaking is just plow on.

I can really remember what the nomos stuff was. I talked to him once and then he popped up again in the end game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I had a bug that meant Act 4 wouldn't trigger, so I had to get toybox.
The bugs the game's had have been BAD.

Aramoro posted:

I think my Argenta quest bugged out, I had to go to the twin system but nothing ever happened when I did. It's annoying but unless it's game breaking is just plow on.

Also at least for me a character quest being bugged is game ending, I can't really deal with that

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taear posted:

I had a bug that meant Act 4 wouldn't trigger, so I had to get toybox.
The bugs the game's had have been BAD.

Also at least for me a character quest being bugged is game ending, I can't really deal with that

Yeah wanting to see a characters story to completion is pretty important to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The game saying that a burst has 0% chance to hit is a test of faith and those who believe are frequently rewarded, amen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

The game saying that a burst has 0% chance to hit is a test of faith and those who believe are frequently rewarded, amen.

The Emperor provides.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I am so loving mad. I just replayed 5 hours of an already long post-patch catch up to still have this issue with the Nomos quest.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm somewhere near the end of act 2 and I have discovered you actually need to hoard some Navigator Insight to continue main story. Or maybe I'm missing something?

In any case, Owlcat fooled me again making me think that this time they don't want me to suffer. Well played, Owlcat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I'm somewhere near the end of act 2 and I have discovered you actually need to hoard some Navigator Insight to continue main story. Or maybe I'm missing something?

In any case, Owlcat fooled me again making me think that this time they don't want me to suffer. Well played, Owlcat.

Yeah, that specific point is weird because if you make all the routes that make sense into safe routes, you'll run out of Insight at that exact point leaving you with no way to farm it.
It seems like an oversight. I had to ToyBoy me a couple of points because I didn't know what else to do.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, that specific point is weird because if you make all the routes that make sense into safe routes, you'll run out of Insight at that exact point leaving you with no way to farm it.
It seems like an oversight. I had to ToyBoy me a couple of points because I didn't know what else to do.

A quick googling shows that a lot of people have bumped into this. There should also be a random event that gives the insight, but it's supposedly rare. Even if it isn't rare what is the player supposed to do in this situation, just travel around the sector looking for dangerous routes that can do something?

It's easy to cheat I understand, but it instantly breaks my faith in the developer. When, say, Bethesda breaks something it's usually a complex technical issue. Here it's a very obvious mechanical issue that developers don't seem to acknowledge as I'm playing the game after a lot of updates and this was not addressed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ilitarist posted:

When, say, Bethesda breaks something it's usually a complex technical issue.

Oh please.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Bethesda comment aside, between this, the incrediblely broken combat, and several fights that are very poorly balanced I do feel like Owlcat just doesn't playtest their own game very thoroughly.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Bethesda comment aside, between this, the incrediblely broken combat, and several fights that are very poorly balanced I do feel like Owlcat just doesn't playtest their own game very thoroughly.

These later acts could not have been, "secret companion who immediately unequips his entire load out because he's the heretical companion but lacks the heretic tag even though all his equipment has the heretical requirement" indicates to me that none of play testing ever got to that point.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I mention Bethesda specifically because they're buggy and often break scripts. When they do this it looks like an honest mistake, you can see that they were too ambitious or didn't have enough time to iron out issues. And here it looks like a deliberate trap. I can see Owlcat saying "You thought the game would not require a hoard of (almost) finite resources 40 hours into the game because you've only played games made by cowards".

Also I've confirmed that bounty hunter is broken for me. Every single enemy is labeled with rank VII and I get no stat bonuses at all from the bounties. This doesn't make angry because it does feel like an honest mistake.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 10, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Aramoro posted:

there's a hidden variable that determines whether argenta is worthy or something, and if you pick the wrong convo option when you arrive on the ice planet, you get locked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ilitarist posted:

No idea what you're talking about, you never need insight for anything to continue the story.