Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

No idea what you're talking about, you never need insight for anything to continue the story.

There's a system that spawns right at the end of Act 2, without a connection, that leads into Act 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Janissary Hop posted:

No idea what you're talking about, you never need insight for anything to continue the story.

Yeah, it's never needed? There's one star system that appears up top which is very faded and hard to see, but functionally red. That's the only reason I can think of that would make people feel like they need to "hoard" it, which is not at all the case.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There's a system that spawns right at the end of Act 2, without a connection, that leads into Act 3.

I've done both routes to act 3 (not having Yrliet or having her) and, unless a recent patch broke something, neither way required using insight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

I've done both routes to act 3 (not having Yrliet or having her) and, unless a recent patch broke something, neither way required using insight.

Huh. I might just have been blind and didn't notice the path.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
I'm in chapter four of my second playthrough. My first run I ran into a bug during a companion quest but I luckily had a save that I used to backtrack and, in the end, didn't seem to affect much other than 15 minutes. Just now I got ~2800 more profit factor when I was doing the territory management. I wasn't doing anything crazy and everything else seemed in order, so it was just odd all of a sudden I get a messed up amount of resources. Fun stuff.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Yeah, it's never needed? There's one star system that appears up top which is very faded and hard to see, but functionally red. That's the only reason I can think of that would make people feel like they need to "hoard" it, which is not at all the case.

This may be so, but I've revisited all the star systems I have access to and I am certain I've poked everywhere I could. It might be something else, like quest conditions not triggering. I've just restored control over all the colonies, the last was manufactorium planet, and the only thing that looks like a main quest to me is about tracking the Drukari dude and I don't see a way there.

I'd conclude that I'm blind rather than think the game is designed this way, but a quick search showed a lot of people had the same problem.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's definitely inaccessible systems at that part of the game. I spent a bit just jumping back and forth on the same dangerous jump till I generated enough points. A cool game mechanic

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aramoro posted:

There's definitely inaccessible systems at that part of the game. I spent a bit just jumping back and forth on the same dangerous jump till I generated enough points. A cool game mechanic

Yeah I think I had to do the same. I wish they’d just let you always create a new deadly route for free.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the additional route was added in a patch- IIRC it was not in the beta nor the release version of RT.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Mostly Lurking posted:

I'm in chapter four of my second playthrough. My first run I ran into a bug during a companion quest but I luckily had a save that I used to backtrack and, in the end, didn't seem to affect much other than 15 minutes. Just now I got ~2800 more profit factor when I was doing the territory management. I wasn't doing anything crazy and everything else seemed in order, so it was just odd all of a sudden I get a messed up amount of resources. Fun stuff.

If it's the same bug I ran into, it has something to do with the amount of people you have. The game suddenly starting giving me a big bonus because people were very rare in the Expanse they weren't actually.

You can mouse over your Profit Factor and it should tell you what's causing it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Huh. I might just have been blind and didn't notice the path.

The red paths are incredibly faint on the map when you aren't in the system that has the path. I've missed Red paths and blazed new routes on two seperate occasion in one playthrough.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
New patch, mostly late game fixes it seems but also

quote:

Ulfar will now armour himself before joining the Lord Captain's crew;

Guess quite a lot of people were missing his equipment before finishing Act 3.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Who do people prefer to take to Commoragh? Any stand out companions that make the experience more pleasant or add more story lore than the others?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Argenta and Idira, for story.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yrliet has some story beats in it too.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Isn't Yrliet required if you didn't kill her?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Who do people prefer to take to Commoragh? Any stand out companions that make the experience more pleasant or add more story lore than the others?

Abelard for sad vibes, Pasqal for one of the most metal scenes in the game

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
You also get Argenta back early in Act 3 and she can help carry you through fights if your main character isn't particularly fighty.

If you take all 3 psykers you're gonna have to get through at least a couple arena fights with a very limited party.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Haven't touched the game in a while, did any of the patches lower the threshold for alignments or whatever they were called? I recall folks saying that you'd basically have to slam every single [Iconoclast] choice at every turn if you wanted to hit the thresholds for unique scenes, back at launch?

I'd rather have a bit more leeway to be a bit of a dickbag (or a good guy, as the case may be) while still maxing out my preferred choice for the endgame.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Haven't touched the game in a while, did any of the patches lower the threshold for alignments or whatever they were called? I recall folks saying that you'd basically have to slam every single [Iconoclast] choice at every turn if you wanted to hit the thresholds for unique scenes, back at launch?

I'd rather have a bit more leeway to be a bit of a dickbag (or a good guy, as the case may be) while still maxing out my preferred choice for the endgame.

Yes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Yes but reaching rank 3 in any alignment still locks the others to max at rank 2.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, that's great news. Thanks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Servetus posted:

The red paths are incredibly faint on the map when you aren't in the system that has the path. I've missed Red paths and blazed new routes on two seperate occasion in one playthrough.

I 100% had to faff around trying to get more insight because there was no connection to the system I needed to get to. Hopefully that's fixed now but it wasn't at release.

I think the problem with owlcat games is that the people testing it are super into it. So they've got perfect builds in pathfinder, they know exactly where to spend their points on the map in this and etc etc etc. You're bugtesting and rebalancing with the ultimate min-maxers I guess?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This may very well be true.

I remember a story Josh Sawyer, designer of Pillars of Eternity (and other games but this one is relevant here), told in one interview. He designed some areas in Icewind Dale 1 and some playtester told him this area is impossible. Josh sat down with the playtester and started playing. When he sturted buffing before an encounter the playtester asked what are you doing, and this was probably a transformative moment for Josh cause he remembered it many many years later. He also told a similar story about seeing how a normal person tries to create a character in Neverwinter Nights 2. I'm paraphrasing of course but you get the idea. It's similar to how the RTS genre was killed by focusing on people who play RTS games religiously.

Owlcat developers seem passionate about what they do and this allows their games to punch above their weight in a typical eurojunk fashion. But a lot of the time it feels to me they deliberately make choice of doing something annoying because of some grand idea. I hate their games in moments like these but they definitely don't feel like games designed by committees cutting all the rough edges and destroying any artistic distinctions. Instead they feel like huge kitchensink mods with some polish. Someone at the team said "we should have tactical space battles" and no one questioned it. Then someone said "in addition to colony events that can be resolved from anywhere we should have colony events that require you to be there, even if these events are basically the same". And so on, their games have a lot of stuff in them even if it doesn't make any sense when you think about it more than a minute.

Also the insight thing would be much better if its description or tutorial popup mentioned that you should maybe keep some in stash. I understand there are story events when you might want to be somewhere ASAP. I'm not sure how the game counts time for these, but these are moments when opening a new direct route and suffering a bad warp event might feel like an interesting and cool decision.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taear posted:

I think the problem with owlcat games is that the people testing it are super into it. So they've got perfect builds in pathfinder, they know exactly where to spend their points on the map in this and etc etc etc. You're bugtesting and rebalancing with the ultimate min-maxers I guess?

As someone who was in the alpha, I fully agree with this sentiment. Most of the mechanical issues people are having with the game right now were issues we faced very early on, and I don't want to think about what Owlcat's actual playtesters had to deal with. I suppose we just got used to the game's foibles by the time release came about and we hade our dual-officers and minmaxed Abelard/Heinrix builds in mind v:shobon:v

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Finally beat this game. Some thoughts from my heretic run:

I played as a melee pyromancer warrior + arch militant and good god, what a death machine he turned out to be. Critting on every hit combined with the axe that increases your crit damage with every hit meant my single blows were landing for ~500 damage. Combat was basically over as soon as my character got to go. The only thing that could kill me was, appropriately, myself after I got the special heretic plot sword that raises veil degradation with every hit. Too many times did I end up blapping myself and farting out a demon.

The secret heretic companion is worthless. All the drawbacks of Ulfar with the added bonuses of having shittier stats, being unable to change any of his equipment, and having zero dialogue/reactivity. His ability to summon random demons sounds cool and would've been great to have much earlier in the game, but by the time you get the companion you've long since passed the point where having some lovely low-level demon on your side is useful. I also managed to get what I thought was the iconoclast-only companion, who I never used and also didn't have any dialogue.

I expected a little more reactivity from your companions based on your alignment choices. True, a few of them decide to leave if you go full heretic, but the ones who hang around don't seem to bring up the fact that you're literally palling around with the forces of Chaos and your bridge looks like it was decorated by the inhabitants of the hell dimension from Event Horizon.

There's a certain point where you can devote yourself fully to Chaos and somehow this doesn't automatically raise your heretic alignment to rank 5, which seems a little bonkers. Despite changes since release, getting to rank 5 still seems to require making near-perfect choices at every opportunity. I ended up cheating my way there when it became clear I'd missed a few things here and there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm most of the way through chapter 2 now and experiencing the very Owlcat feeling of now knowing enough about the game to be spotting my suboptimal build choices. Not that it matters because the party has enough raw firepower to deal with anything I've faced this far quite easily, but my PC is an officer grand strategist who 99% of the time does not actually make an attack in his turn and is just buffing/giving extra shots to the team.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I know that feeling. In my case it's intensified by the fact I made Ireleth Bounty Hunter and Bounty Hunter abilities don't work for me for some reason, at all. And Ireleth is still extremely powerful and murders everybody with her sniper shots. It's double frustration: a mechanic is clearly not working but you also don't need it really on a higher diffculty setting. I'm hoping 1.2 will help with that so that the basic mechanics are functional.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alchenar posted:

my PC is an officer grand strategist who 99% of the time does not actually make an attack in his turn and is just buffing/giving extra shots to the team.

Isn't that what an Officer is best at? Warriors and Soldiers are the damage dealers, Officers are buffbots.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, my MC was the Officer/GS combo and that was her whole deal. Who needs to shoot the enemy when you have people to do that for you?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I'm most of the way through chapter 2 now and experiencing the very Owlcat feeling of now knowing enough about the game to be spotting my suboptimal build choices. Not that it matters because the party has enough raw firepower to deal with anything I've faced this far quite easily, but my PC is an officer grand strategist who 99% of the time does not actually make an attack in his turn and is just buffing/giving extra shots to the team.

Your PC is the ideal version of that build, you can eke out more benefits and buffs via specific talents and playstyle but 90% of Officer/GS powergaming is just giving extra turns asap. Using 2 of them is just obscene, like Cassia and your PC, where you can get a dozen+ actions before the enemy even gets a chance to act and this is AFTER the major debuff from the last big patch.

There's a big change in combat going into Act 3, where for most encounters you can end combat in 1-2 rounds. Key to that is someone set up up mega-high damage, like Argenta, a Warrior/AM, using a high rate of fire weapon and abilities/equipment to boost critical chance, rate of fire, flat damage per attack etc, while swapping weapons to increase versatility.

I found the equipment and itemization to be pretty boring for the first half of the game, there's some key items you get that really make the game easier like the Heavy Bolter, which is reputation locked for one of the vendors, can't remember which one.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Officer/Master tactician can get surprisingly competent at killing people, but it's more complimentary sniping/killing people on different parts of the map than your main business. It's a nice thing to try now that the extra free actions and duration of turns given by officers has been nerfed. But I'd pick MT only if you have at least one GS consistently in the team set-up (Like Cassia, Pasqal or both to combine their modifiers)

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 26, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't that what an Officer is best at? Warriors and Soldiers are the damage dealers, Officers are buffbots.

Yeah but you are never quite sure when the game is going to drop the PC into a solo combat encounter.

I've now read a guide and am kinda agreeing that I should have gone Master Tactician for the PC and Grand Strategist for Cassia.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tbh Cassia became one of the biggest damage dealers in the party once I got Held in My Gaze and the talent that lets her use it twice each turn. Bounty Hunter Yrilet is keeping up but just barely

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cassia and then pre-combat rebalance plasma tornado Pasqual were my MVPs, with sniper Yrliet as a distant third

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Cassia and then pre-combat rebalance plasma tornado Pasqual were my MVPs, with sniper Yrliet as a distant third

post rebalance plasma tornado Pasqal was my late game GOAT.

I did not like it at the time but not letting the player create any alien/admech/Navigator mercs is definitely a smart balance choice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just got to the Forge World and was forced to take Henrix and over Yrliet and OH MY when he's buffed and hitting something with a force sword then he's a beast.

With the pathfinder games I always felt that party building was a bit easy - you picked around your PC. Here it is considerably less obvious - you want to get your key skills in and Cassia is obviously S-tier but there is a lot of choice in the 'generic frontliner who does something else' space.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but you are never quite sure when the game is going to drop the PC into a solo combat encounter.

I've now read a guide and am kinda agreeing that I should have gone Master Tactician for the PC and Grand Strategist for Cassia.

Once. Twice if you count Chapter 3 and don't bee-line for Argenta. And I guess 3 times if you count the tutorial.

The game really nails the "person who yells orders" vibe for the Officer archtype and I love it. I'm too important to be getting in there mixing it up with heretics. I yell at my crew to do that and every so often take a pot shot with my fancy rear end hunting rifle like the Imperial aristocrat I am/have become.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

My Commissar had a sword, but I never actually had to use it. Pretty much my only attacks were to apply At All Costs, I used a pistol from the very beginning of the game so I wouldn't do much damage to my subordinates when I shot them. God what a perfect 40k thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay yes, I'm in Chapter 3 and this is absolutely where the classic Owlbear 'I hope you are running optimal builds for this fight' trait comes out.