Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah 'dealing with bureaucracy is slow and boring' is not a particularly original joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yeah 'dealing with bureaucracy is slow and boring' is not a particularly original joke.

But it's also told infrequently enough to not become unfunny.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CRPG's need to borrow the common Visual Novel feature of "Skip Seen Text".

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
~37 years ago Bureaucracy the Videogame came out. The 12 year old me who played it still hates it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Warmachine posted:

Whoever said Ravor's voice was dog was absolutely right. I feel like the VA was given a different script and description of the character than they have the the game. The accent and cadence are just completely naff.

Whomst among us would read "Cap'n" as "Capt'n?"

I wish they had kept him unvoiced because whatever you imagine yourself from his portrait and his replies is probably miles better than what we get in the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm going slow through this game. It's not a comfortable world to spend your time in. And naturally this is how it's supposed to be. Here in chapter 4 I finally see what people talked about the game breaking apart. So many small bugs in addition to small bugs I saw from the beginning! Also by this point I probably got all of my combat abilities. The last archetype is all about passive improvements that don't affect my playstyle much, so fights become a chore. It's still OK but you very rarely see enemies doing something requiring me to improvise, I'm doing the same thing no matter who I fight.

Still bitter about how easy it is to be Space Anti-fascist. It's not like the game is afraid to punish you for your choices. I failed a companion quest with a seemingly unrelated (but obviously impolite) action. I've lost a companion after telling them I'm not going to do their dumb mission. I like that, let me feel the weight of my choices. With all these bugs I'm not sure if the triggers work correctly, maybe I've missed something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I also kept waiting for the moment where the game rug pulls you for trying to be a good guy in the world of 40k. I will tell you that it does kinda happen, but in an incredibly unsatisfying way.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I appreciate that there's a way to get a "Golden Ending" where you actually make the Koronus Expanse a better, somewhat less horrific place, but when I finished the game in January the ending slides were still really contradictory. For example, I decided against the Golden Ending and got things being better for a couple generations before getting slapped down by the Imperium for my heresy. Except that I had max relations with the Navy so apparently most of them defected to me when the throwdown happened and in those slides it said we won. Have they improved that?

I didn't get the golden ending because as space lib as my MC was she still wasn't gonna trust Nomos to absorb the power of a C'tan shard. I of course have a save in place to let Nomos do that if I wanted to see the "good" ending.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I was kinda hoping the game prepares me for a bucket of ice when the crew gathered for "we love our overlord" moment and put some... thing on my bridge.

For now there was an unsatisfying contrast between companion leaving you for good because you refused to help you VS deeply devout companions just grumbling when you go against everything that is right and good. Especially Argenta who revealed she's murderously intolerant to any act against the imperium. With the inquisitor guy you at least get a vibe of a spy who has been in a business for so long he understands you need to bend the rules sometimes..

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilitarist posted:

I was kinda hoping the game prepares me for a bucket of ice when the crew gathered for "we love our overlord" moment and put some... thing on my bridge.

For now there was an unsatisfying contrast between companion leaving you for good because you refused to help you VS deeply devout companions just grumbling when you go against everything that is right and good. Especially Argenta who revealed she's murderously intolerant to any act against the imperium. With the inquisitor guy you at least get a vibe of a spy who has been in a business for so long he understands you need to bend the rules sometimes..

Argenta definitely has her own problems but like with most games most of the grumbling from NPCs about your choices as the player come down to finger-waggling, Heinrix and Argenta being the biggest offenders. In my dogmatic game, after Act 3 everyone comes within hair's breadth of a mutiny if you keep someone alive. The situation is put to rest with a simple "I'm the boss, get back to work." No lingering consequences, no simmering mistrust.

Games in general just don't seem very good at or very eager to confront the player with things like that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The thing is, it happened right after I failed a companion's quest forever by being a prick (I broke the prod if you know what I mean) and another companion left me after I said we have more urgent matters than their personal quest. The reactivity is inconsistent. Of course you'd have to accept in a video game that a choice that looks like it'll result in your head on a pike will turn out to not be a big deal after all, and that the game won't allow you to make your campaign unwinnable because you alienated all the people. I totally get that, but not the inconsistency.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The ability to be iconoclast is directly proportional to how big your gun is. You can make choices for the betterment of humanity up to the point someone with a bigger gun shows up to enforce the standard rules.

Argenta's character definitely suffers from having to cut a lot of stuff. She was probably planned as the most detailed "convert/corrupt" party member before they had to scrap that idea, leaving in a lot of the bits and pieces of her character interactions that are missing that wider context.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The big problem with the game, at least for me, is that it has little to no replay value. At least for me.

Pathfinder: WotR has a whole bunch of mythic paths, all of which change the playthrough in a bunch of small ways, on top of giving you unique content. Even if you're the kind of player that only does "good" playthroughs, there are several interesting flavors of "good" to pick from for your subsequent playthroughs.

Games like Baldur's Gate 3 don't have discreet paths like this but since all choices are completely "freeflow", there are a bunch of interesting small variations that can propagate through your playthrough.

Rogue Trader has 3 distinct paths, and it punishes you heavily for straying from it.
Not only that but the 3 paths available are two types of complete assholes and one path for a reasonable human being, and as someone who doesn't particularly enjoy roleplaying an rear end in a top hat, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to do any other path.

Which is a real shame because I think the gameplay systems in this game are REALLY good. Especially compared to Pathfinder games, and I would very much like to have more of it. Ground and space combat included.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

True. I'm playing on a difficulty next to normal and from time to time I think about how cool would it play the enhanced edition on a higher difficulty where I'll have to make use of all the systems and also will not get angry over small bugs and UI problems. But in terms of story I'm not really interested in WH40k game in general. We all know how these stories go, and Iconoclast path is really the only one where I am not sure where will it go. On my second play through I'll probably get very bored from this story and will not finish it, and I've played every BioWare and Obsidian many, many times.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Was this door always here?

Going to add to this saying that it feels like the turn economy nerfs have made Cassia with a Devastator staff an even more auto-take. Argenta can still put in work, but vs. the Daemon Engine on the Event Horizon, I ended up relying more on my operatives to nerf it into the ground with various abilities (Pasqal focused on stripping armor and dodge while Idira set its WS and BS to 1 with Sensory Deprivation). With that out of the way, Cassia and Abelard did most of the damage off double Held in My Gaze strikes every time Cassia got to go, plus counterattacks from Abelard whenever he parried something--which was a lot when the thing had WS 1.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2024

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finished the game last night after figuring out how to proceed through Chapter 4 to finish all the quests I could find, though apparently I missed whichever location lets me translate the language later on. I can definitely see myself playing this again at some point, though I might try not giving anyone extra turns as a self-imposed challenge because it seriously breaks all late-game difficulty. Argenta is the worst offender because she can seemingly shoot forever and scales so well with gear, but Cassia/Yrliet and to a lesser extent the melee dps can still easily clear most maps within the first couple rounds. Melee suffers a bit from having to spend MPs and also dealing with dodge/parry, and if I don't have Idira along for her debuffs then the melee miss quite a lot; meanwhile ranged just get to ignore dodge and cover outright. Also I never got my boots back so I'd like to correct that.

Speaking of companions I appreciate that each of them can develop different personality paths depending on dialogue choices. Pasqal was very interesting to talk to in particular, by far the hardest to get a read on because his deflections are all cloaked in tech-priest jargon.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Is Jae's companion quest broken? I decided to come back after my coronation, but don't have the option at the start of Act 3, and in Act 4 she's mad at me for choosing not to do it, which seems a bit off.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Is it possible to change the name of your ship mid-game? Really should have given more thought to it than, "Dixie Normous"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

chainchompz posted:

Really should have given more thought to my ship's name than "Dixie Normous"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to a second playthrough when the expansion drops

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

chainchompz posted:

Is it possible to change the name of your ship mid-game? Really should have given more thought to it than, "Dixie Normous"

Only with ToyBox. Never saw a reason to change away from “Ludi Verba” though!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chainchompz posted:

lmao

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

chainchompz posted:

Thought this was the helldivers thread for a sec, good name though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chainchompz posted:

I don't want to change my ship's name, "Dixie Normous" is perfect as is.

:colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ilitarist posted:

It's a popular trope. Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams certainly had similar stories in their fantastical worlds. More recently Witcher 3 had a quest like this, but it concentrated more on absurd document requirements and less on the queue.

Yea like I say it's a commonly used trope but this was IDENTICAL
And it's PF adventure that get published monthly, plenty of turnaround time for it to be inspired by it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Taear posted:

And it's PF adventure that get published monthly, plenty of turnaround time for it to be inspired by it

They're both referencing an Asterix plot ("The Place that Drives you Mad")

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Agreed.

I'm playing through the fourth chapter of the game and was the icy hiveworld point of interest that lost its sun to dark eldar supposed to happen sooner? I've already gotten out of Commoragh, but it's fun to blast away at more BDSM Elves for putting me through chapter 3. This is different from the first time the game has this happen to the koronus expanse.
Haven't had a chance to complete the icy hive world stuff yet.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 12, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Taear posted:

You are greatly underestimating the turnaround time on adventure modules.

They had a revision come out in November, the details of which should have been internally available even earlier, and this month's adventure still hasn't taken any of the changes into account because the adventure needs to be finalized so far in advance of publishing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What's the state of the game with regards to bugs and playability now? I got it on release but it was super rough. Worth coming back to now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What's the state of the game with regards to bugs and playability now? I got it on release but it was super rough. Worth coming back to now?

Vastly improved especially on the back end, so many changes to the character abilities and skills that build guides aren't really optimized so if you want to play above normal you'll have to figure out what does and does not work for high level combat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pentyne posted:

Vastly improved especially on the back end, so many changes to the character abilities and skills that build guides aren't really optimized so if you want to play above normal you'll have to figure out what does and does not work for high level combat.

Awesome! So you'd suggest a fresh run then?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Somehow, end of chapter 4, Heinrix was never able to use any of his psyker abilities anywhere on Eufrates II. I reloaded to see if the latest patch fixed the final boss fight and holy poo poo is it a slog, still not past it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chainchompz posted:

Somehow, end of chapter 4, Heinrix was never able to use any of his psyker abilities anywhere on Eufrates II. I reloaded to see if the latest patch fixed the final boss fight and holy poo poo is it a slog, still not past it.

I think for me that fight really showed the all or nothing aspect of the combat. There was no attrition in it, I think first round Pascal died then nothing for a while then Jae caught a bad one and died. I never really went big into healing as folk always just seemed alive or dead. But with Cassia and Argenta you can got first, get buffed and make decent headway before they get a turn then fingers crossed they don't kill Argenta.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So far I feel like the changes have toned down how oppressive Argenta/Arch-Militants are, but functionally this means that Cassia is in the spotlight now. Start Cassia with the bonus turn, use Reveal the Light to buff willpower and Point of Curiosity to group up the encounter, then start the Grand Strategist turn and drop two lideless stares (devastating staff).

She's still effortlessly big damage and an auto-pick for her ability to turn a 20 enemy encounter into a 5 enemy encounter before initiative officially starts.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Does feel weird how in Act 1 you and the NPCs are basically playing the same game, then by Act 3 you’re playing Rocket Tag Combo Factory and everyone in your party is acting 3+ times/round and dealing 4x their base damage. Triggering convoluted Bring It Down->Finest Hour chains that have characters nested three deep in someone else‘s turn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

Does feel weird how in Act 1 you and the NPCs are basically playing the same game, then by Act 3 you’re playing Rocket Tag Combo Factory and everyone in your party is acting 3+ times/round and dealing 4x their base damage. Triggering convoluted Bring It Down->Finest Hour chains that have characters nested three deep in someone else‘s turn.

It's kinda comedic when you step back and think about it compared to other games, or even other Turn-based games, then consider the Owlcat Pathfinder games. In D&D and Pathfinder, a 'round' is about 6 seconds worth of actions. Almost everything in this space takes cues from this, and when you layer that onto the nested turns and actions of things like Rogue Trader or XCOM, things get really funny really fast.

At the end of the day, this is all trying to create an abstraction for gameplay reasons, and while not the smoothest in terms of verisimilitude, the player getting stronger and ultimately changing the way the game is played while NPC enemies haven't got the memo yet is a pretty valid way to show that the player has moved well beyond where they started their journey.

On a different note, any chance one of the DLCs they plan is Genestealer Cult related? Because the Wasteland Wanderer and Dargonus plots being basically relegated to epilogue slides is lame. Let me fight the heralds of the Four-Armed Emperor!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

4x base damage? Try 15x-20x more. The base damage of the weapons is basically flavour text.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Lack of balance and asymmetry is fun. Plenty of abilities you use would be extremely annoying if the enemies used them.

Plenty of cool RPG systems rely on enemies staying simple and predictable. It culminates in systems like Slay the Spire or Into the Breach or Griftlands (this one is especially cool because it simulates not just the dungeon, but the whole randomized world with NPCs and interactions) where most of the time enemies literally tell you what are they going to do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

4x base damage? Try 15x-20x more. The base damage of the weapons is basically flavour text.

It's also kind of a problem, reading it as written makes you think the heavy bolter is a big step done in damage potential when the numbers basically don't matter at the point that high rate of fire comes into effect much less all the abilities to boost WS, crit chance, and crit%. It's completely possible a new player not reading any outside information ignores repeater weapons when they see the 4-6 damage when compared to a standard bolter 22-26dmg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's also kind of a problem, reading it as written makes you think the heavy bolter is a big step done in damage potential when the numbers basically don't matter at the point that high rate of fire comes into effect much less all the abilities to boost WS, crit chance, and crit%. It's completely possible a new player not reading any outside information ignores repeater weapons when they see the 4-6 damage when compared to a standard bolter 22-26dmg.

I think one of the biggest UX problems in RT is how hard it is to get any information on game system interactions. Most games have this problem to a degree, but Rogue Trader has it real bad where it's really hard to figure out what all is going to be happening in a single action until the attack is done and you can review the combat log. Which is long after you picked your talents and stats and bought and equipped gear.