Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

pentyne posted:

No that's correct. If you explored as much as you could in Act 2 there's pretty much nothing new to find aside from a single system that is main quest locked.

The DLC packs are supposed to be 2 massive core game updates, hopefully filling out that 50% of the map that is empty with new places to explore especially for Act 4 tier stuff.

Lol no way. Not much of a spoiler, but that's a let down. Ch2 I was cruising through the map like, "oh boy can't wait to see the rest of this map opened up! There's all this space yet to be explored, they'll surely have stuff for it later."
I'm almost done with chapter 3 and reading that I almost feel bad slamming through it as fast as I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You get extra up stuff if you read all the rumors in your journal and a bunch of it is only available chapter 4. I explored every system in chapter 2 and still had about 20 or 30 hours of open exploration content in chapter 4.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also if you don't take any warp routes down to yellow you get a fight almost every trip, which will certainly make the game feel longer. I liked the demons that got empowered from las weapons.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

You get extra up stuff if you read all the rumors in your journal and a bunch of it is only available chapter 4. I explored every system in chapter 2 and still had about 20 or 30 hours of open exploration content in chapter 4.

Where was that? I went into act 4 and there were only 4 systems.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Aramoro posted:

Where was that? I went into act 4 and there were only 4 systems.

What you are describing sounds like act 5. Act 5 is everything that happens after you transit the dolmen gate into necron space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The last major patch changed some things so there are a few systems previously visible in Act 2 that are no longer there, the places like the 3 Chaos Marines and a Doombrute. Possibly others like the Dark Eldar turrent trap planet.

Rumors was also a pain in the rear end to figure out as the journal did not track them in the slightest and too many of the rumors gave you no information or context. They fixed it with the large ? areas overlaying the map but I traveled through those a few times and didn't trigger or encounter anything new. After see a few quests somehow failing automatically for no reason I kind of stopped caring about finding every little detail and just went through what remained of the main game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

The last major patch changed some things so there are a few systems previously visible in Act 2 that are no longer there, the places like the 3 Chaos Marines and a Doombrute. Possibly others like the Dark Eldar turrent trap planet.

Rumors was also a pain in the rear end to figure out as the journal did not track them in the slightest and too many of the rumors gave you no information or context. They fixed it with the large ? areas overlaying the map but I traveled through those a few times and didn't trigger or encounter anything new. After see a few quests somehow failing automatically for no reason I kind of stopped caring about finding every little detail and just went through what remained of the main game.

Moreover they don't remove the ? areas after you finish the rumor. The big offender is the one ship battle.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Preechr posted:

What you are describing sounds like act 5.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think Owlcat went too hard into the lore accurate map, you have all the big scary pictures drawn on to indicate places you just can't go, plus the bluish haze that I think indicates un-passable warp storms.

It makes sense in ttrpg standards but for a computer game all you see is a ton of empty map space expecting it to full in with interesting events and locations until it doesn't.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I presume they will put dlc poo poo in there but still yeah it stinks.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

pentyne posted:

The DLC packs are supposed to be 2 massive core game updates, hopefully filling out that 50% of the map that is empty with new places to explore especially for Act 4 tier stuff.

Where are you seeing reports/rumors/etc. about the DLC?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pentyne posted:

The last major patch changed some things so there are a few systems previously visible in Act 2 that are no longer there, the places like the 3 Chaos Marines and a Doombrute.

cowards

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pershing posted:

its on the season pass page

quote:

Gain access to the two upcoming major expansions for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader and save with the bundle price!

1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

The first major story expansion is all about the Rogue Trader's voidship, the life of its crew, and the threats lurking in its holds. Dive into a new epic story integrated into the main narrative, battle new enemies, and recruit a new companion — a death cult assassin. Explore new decks of your voidship, unlock new upgrade options, and master the mechanics of void combat. Meet new members of your crew on the bridge, such as the Astropath, the chirurgeon, and others.
The events of this story will be reflected in the game's epilogue.

This expansion offers 15 hours of gameplay.

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

The second major story expansion sees the Lord Captain join forces with a new companion — a member of the Adeptus Arbites. As the past of House von Valancius begins to present itself in a new light, the Rogue Trader faces difficult decisions that may affect the future of the entire Koronus Expanse.
Over the course of this story, you will get a chance to learn more about the collection of the Imperial Tithe, otherwise known as the Grand Harvesting. Interfere with this fundamental process of the Imperium at your own peril. Discover new areas, game mechanics, and archetypes — and of course, encounter new horrors of the Immaterium.

This expansion likewise offers 15 hours of gameplay.

Their community manager posted about taking the feedback they got about the Kingmaker and Wrath DLCs that people were not enjoying the rogue-like standalones or endless dungeon additions so Rogue Trader is going to focus on expanding the main game.

2 new companions and more character creation choice is a good start. They need to add literally any other races besides Eldar as potential enemies to mix it up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pershing posted:

The steam page for the season pass.

First one seems to be more stuff happening on the ship, the December DLC is the one alluding to new areas.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Decided to do a fresh start of the game rather than pick my, probably bugged to poo poo, Act 4 save. I really wish they had not added VO lines for the master Helmsman, they suck.

Also :lmao: at the character creator still having the ship selector look like a big list with a single entry for the Sword Class frigate.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They really saw me coming with

Part 1: spaceship minutia
Part 2: Space IRS

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

its on the season pass page

Their community manager posted about taking the feedback they got about the Kingmaker and Wrath DLCs that people were not enjoying the rogue-like standalones or endless dungeon additions so Rogue Trader is going to focus on expanding the main game.

2 new companions and more character creation choice is a good start. They need to add literally any other races besides Eldar as potential enemies to mix it up.

You mean, like Tyranids? :v:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They should add Kroot, Orcs, Rakghoul who are hilarious because they use nuclear bombs as engines, maybe a Slaagh (creepy worm monsters that walk like Men), just any of the xenos that've already been established by the TTRPG.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

You mean, like Tyranids? :v:

Genestealers, Necrons, and those snake dudes: Are we a joke to you?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Really disappointed that the main story is about some poo poo no one cares about, instead of being about your rivalry with an Ork Freeboota Captain who manages to outpace and outwit you at every step as you attempt to plunder the Koronus Expanse

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Really disappointed that the main story is about some poo poo no one cares about, instead of being about your rivalry with an Ork Freeboota Captain who manages to outpace and outwit you at every step as you attempt to plunder the Koronus Expanse

I dunno, I'm pretty ok with my C'tan Abominable Intelligence Son. My only complaint is the sudden swerve instead of there being a bit more foreshadowing as to what Act 5 would be about. Wrath was a nice, cohesive narrative, but each act of RT feels like distinctly separate adventures, and the final one is so short and sudden that it doesn't really have time to sink in.

I do hope they throw in Ork DLC at some point though. A comic relief story would be a good addition to the narrative. Maybe the Void DLC will set up Act 5 better.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Preechr posted:

What you are describing sounds like act 5. Act 5 is everything that happens after you transit the dolmen gate into necron space.

Oh, where was the point between act 3 and act 4 then? That all felt like act 3 to me, maybe I missed loads because I did think it was odd I wasn't even close to maxing out my level before going into the end stage.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I find those DLC release dates to be very optimistic given its been over 2 years and they still havent put out all the DLC for Pathfinder: Wrath.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

While waiting for the patch to come and fix what was a very nice game before Act 3, I played Wrath and then went back to play Kingmaker. Both have a lot of charm, and all three show Owlcat improving in areas ( and failing to change in others ). This game has been very fun so far and has some great storytelling, which with some gameplay/interface improvement would make for a killer sequel. What else would you be saving Space Orcs to do? This game was fresh and interesting as someone who never touched Warhammer 40,000 outside browsing a Wikipedia page, and I'm hopeful to explore it more.

pentyne posted:

I'm glad to hear this because I thought a lot of the Kingmaker and Wrath DLC was forgettable at best and boring filler at worst. Wrath's trippy one was good and all of the ones with companions were decent, so hopefully it's more of that but with DLC Companions fully interacting with base game companions.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 6, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Warmachine posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty ok with my C'tan Abominable Intelligence Son. My only complaint is the sudden swerve instead of there being a bit more foreshadowing as to what Act 5 would be about. Wrath was a nice, cohesive narrative, but each act of RT feels like distinctly separate adventures, and the final one is so short and sudden that it doesn't really have time to sink in.

I do hope they throw in Ork DLC at some point though. A comic relief story would be a good addition to the narrative. Maybe the Void DLC will set up Act 5 better.

Given how much of Warhammer 40k is the dieect result of the Emperor being a worthless dogshit parent, it feels appropriate that the best outcome possible in Rogue Trader is being a good parent to a nascent demigod

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

FrickenMoron posted:

I find those DLC release dates to be very optimistic given its been over 2 years and they still havent put out all the DLC for Pathfinder: Wrath.

I thought they did put out all of the originally planned DLC for Wrath, it was just so successful that they are doing another round of DLC.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warmachine posted:

Genestealers, Necrons, and those snake dudes: Are we a joke to you?

Yeah, basically
Frankly this game made me feel bad for xenos and chaos

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, basically

The Imperium will always be the worst, when written competently.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought they did put out all of the originally planned DLC for Wrath, it was just so successful that they are doing another round of DLC.

Yeah I think they're at the end of round 2 or something which considering the War and this game coming out it's probably a decent pace

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Small patch early next week, nfi what's in it.

quote:

We're working on a second major patch 1.2, and meanwhile, preparing some minor hotfixes to deal with bugs and performance issues. Closest hotfix is expected at the beginning of next week.

PC and Mac: Next week;
PS5: Next week;
Xbox: Next week;

Known issues:

Below is the list known commonly reported issues. Don't create new threads with this issue if you see it here. We are already aware of it and working on a solution.

High-priority problem list (to be fixed as soon as possible):

- Remaining issues with some quests;

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, basically

The Aeldari and Necrons get my sympathy, at least a little bit. The latter is more of a stretch for various lore reasons.

Chaos and Drukhari though... Rykad, Janus, Kiava Gamma, Euphrates II, Commoragh... nah. Especially Drukhari, who have alternatives but instead choose to do the exact things that got them into their mess but more rather than take the Craftworld, Harlequin, or more recent Ynnari solutions. To be frank, Drukhari are the one you can point to as an example of every Imperial stereotype of the 'perfidious xenos.' They are arguably the most awful of all the factions in 40k, including Chaos and Nids.

The only other xenos we really see are the Sslyth, who are a bit one-note and the only one we talk to doesn't really do much to give them personality beyond what we already know.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My favorite bit with Drukhari is when talking to your companion if you recruited him, and he asks why you decided to work with him and you can respond with "Because I pity you" and nothing anyone has ever done or said to him at that point infuriates him as much as your earnest empathy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This game is on sale on steam and I'm interested in playing it, but all the reviews I have read mention it having more bugs than the Tyranids. Has that largely been fixed over time?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It is definitely better than release but still buggy, YMMV. The longer you can wait on the game the better your experience will be, including waiting for the DLC(s). I got through RT fine on release, some companion content didn't start like it should have.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
game good, but getting better

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is on sale on steam and I'm interested in playing it, but all the reviews I have read mention it having more bugs than the Tyranids. Has that largely been fixed over time?

Vastly improved but to what a normal release 1.0 would be expected where you still see some weird bugs they promise to fix asap

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CuddleCryptid posted:

My current playthrough is nearly through act 2 and so far I've met three Tyranids and encountered two bugs.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've encountered a few but nothing gamebreaking so far through the 3rd chapter. One of them was less a bug and more a design oversight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Put it on your wishlist and wait unless you got a real hankering for wh40k rpg, which it's a really good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I played through 2/3rds of the game on launch and it was fairly bug-free and they've had several major patches since then.