Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ardryn posted:

Also as I understand it one reason new technology is either verboten or extremely slow to come out is that the adeptus have to inspect every square inch of it to make sure it didn't accidentally, or "accidentally", include a chaos symbol in its construction, which could lead to the aforementioned spontaneous tentacularing.

Yep, it's called a Logos Daemonis, which is also why the Mechanicus tends to look poorly on (as in, 'forget servitorization, just shoot the bastard') excessive creativity; not only is a creative outlook one that by definition looks outside the prescribed way of doing things, it's also one that is very vulnerable to warp taint (mainly by Tzeentch, but other Chaos Gods can stick their oar in too).

Another practical reason that development is so slow is because the Imperium relies on mass-production and ease of logistics rather than individual unit effectiveness, especially since it relies on standard-template factories and standardized education. Sure, your new body armour is twice as protective as regular Guard flak, but if it requires three times as many resources to make and/or specialized education only available to high-ranking techpriests, you'd probably be laughed out of the seminary (and then shot for excessive creativity/stupidity). Have schematics for a dune buggy that does excellently in deserts but moves like trash anywhere else? No chance in hell is a Magos going to retool (and risk damaging) a millennia-old factory that makes Chimeras just because you have a techno-fetish for dune buggies (in fact, he'll probably have you shot for excessive creativity/stupidity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zore posted:

They were just 'space dwarves' and their models were really unpopular so they just stopped making new ones and did a throw-away line in the lore about the Tyrannids eating their homeworld to explain it.

The other part was Andy Chambers taking on more of a senior role in the company and one of the things he disliked, at the time, was the armies crowding in on each other and blurring the faction lines. So squats, sisters and genestealer cultists got de-emphasized when they moved to 3rd edition. All three were basically 'Imperial Guard but with ...'. Sisters came back, sort of, about 4 years later but were an also ran until 2015, GSC about 20 years and squats finally this year.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

40k has two kinds of Skaven - Admech are skryre, the guard are everybody else

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While we're on the topic, it might be a good idea to get into Archeotech a bit, since this game might well directly touch onto it.

Basically, during the Dark Age of Technology, humanity's level of technology was really loving good, to the point where it could genuinely rival that of older alien races. But most of that was lost during the age of strife and at the current point in time, the Imperium's degree of technological sophistication is really rather poor compared to other players in the galaxy. They mostly compensate by sheer weight of numbers and industry. However, bits and pieces of that older, superior human technology are still scattered around the galaxy, commonly known as archeotech. Those can range from simply very good guns to advanced power generators to planet-destroying superweapons.

Unsurprisingly, the Adeptus Mechanicus very much likes to gets their hands on such pieces, in part to make sure nothing terribly cursed gets into circulation, but mostly to maintain their continuing stranglehold on all technological knowledge. Nonetheless, small bits and pieces of archeotech do get out and are often a highly sought-after commodity among the Imperium's nobility. Rogue Traders in particular can often be found chasing after rumours of Archeotech finds, hoping to beat the Mechanicus search parties to the punch. That's also one of the major reasons why you occasionally find Mechanicus priests riding along with Rogue Trader crews, exchanging their technological expertise in exchange for first dibs on any archeotech finds. For the same reason, you also see former Mechanicus priests on these crews, who have left behind the Adeptus (or were forced to flee) because they chafed under the dogma.

Perhaps the pinnacle of archeotech are the Standard Template Constructs (STCs), which were the thing that once allowed humanity to spread so quickly throughout the galaxy. Basically, an STC is a combination of an automated factory and a knowledge base of all human technology. A fresh group of colonists with a STC could just throw some raw resources in one end and receive reactors, vehicles, and whatever else they might need out the other, complete with blueprints and instructions on how to maintain and reproduce them. Unfortunately, all known STCs in existence have been either destroyed or have vastly degenerated (as they often included significant AI), and the best the Imperium can hope for is recovering small fragments that include blueprints or manufacturing instructions for individual artifacts. A lot of the most common pieces of technology used in the Imperium are based on such recovered fragments.

To give an impression on just how big of a deal these things are: At one point, two imperial soldiers stumbled upon an STC blueprint for an improved combat knife. It was functionally still just a plain old knife, but it was sharper, sturdier, lighter, and cheaper to make than what the Imperium was using at the time. As a reward, both soldiers were declared heroes of the Imperium, and were each gifted an entire planet. Suffice to say, finding a complete, functional, uncorrupted STC is basically the absolute holy grail for the Mechanicus, and arguably the Imperium as a whole.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Zore posted:

They were just 'space dwarves' and their models were really unpopular so they just stopped making new ones and did a throw-away line in the lore about the Tyrannids eating their homeworld to explain it.

Apparently they weren't unpopular but GW had no idea what to do with the faction.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

While we're on the topic, it might be a good idea to get into Archeotech a bit, since this game might well directly touch onto it.

Basically, during the Dark Age of Technology, humanity's level of technology was really loving good, to the point where it could genuinely rival that of older alien races. But most of that was lost during the age of strife and at the current point in time, the Imperium's degree of technological sophistication is really rather poor compared to other players in the galaxy. They mostly compensate by sheer weight of numbers and industry. However, bits and pieces of that older, superior human technology are still scattered around the galaxy, commonly known as archeotech. Those can range from simply very good guns to advanced power generators to planet-destroying superweapons.

Unsurprisingly, the Adeptus Mechanicus very much likes to gets their hands on such pieces, in part to make sure nothing terribly cursed gets into circulation, but mostly to maintain their continuing stranglehold on all technological knowledge. Nonetheless, small bits and pieces of archeotech do get out and are often a highly sought-after commodity among the Imperium's nobility. Rogue Traders in particular can often be found chasing after rumours of Archeotech finds, hoping to beat the Mechanicus search parties to the punch. That's also one of the major reasons why you occasionally find Mechanicus priests riding along with Rogue Trader crews, exchanging their technological expertise in exchange for first dibs on any archeotech finds. For the same reason, you also see former Mechanicus priests on these crews, who have left behind the Adeptus (or were forced to flee) because they chafed under the dogma.

Perhaps the pinnacle of archeotech are the Standard Template Constructs (STCs), which were the thing that once allowed humanity to spread so quickly throughout the galaxy. Basically, an STC is a combination of an automated factory and a knowledge base of all human technology. A fresh group of colonists with a STC could just throw some raw resources in one end and receive reactors, vehicles, and whatever else they might need out the other, complete with blueprints and instructions on how to maintain and reproduce them. Unfortunately, all known STCs in existence have been either destroyed or have vastly degenerated (as they often included significant AI), and the best the Imperium can hope for is recovering small fragments that include blueprints or manufacturing instructions for individual artifacts. A lot of the most common pieces of technology used in the Imperium are based on such recovered fragments.

To give an impression on just how big of a deal these things are: At one point, two imperial soldiers stumbled upon an STC blueprint for an improved combat knife. It was functionally still just a plain old knife, but it was sharper, sturdier, lighter, and cheaper to make than what the Imperium was using at the time. As a reward, both soldiers were declared heroes of the Imperium, and were each gifted an entire planet. Suffice to say, finding a complete, functional, uncorrupted STC is basically the absolute holy grail for the Mechanicus, and arguably the Imperium as a whole.

Yeah, I think the importance of the STC can't be understated. I'm thinking back 15-ish years when I was actually into this, but lots of guard equipment is basically STC-derived stuff, and is a major reason the Imperium can actually field such a large number of conventional forces. Somewhere there are STC factories churning out whatever the current pattern Lasgun is by the billions, which are then shipped off to whoever is due to receive new Lasguns this century.

Or am I misremembering just how much general equipment relies on STCs these days? Again, I don't think I've read a codex in 15 years, so I probably have some lapses.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Psycho Landlord posted:

40k has two kinds of Skaven - Admech are skryre, the guard are everybody else

Are the ratlings in the Guard supposed to be unofficially evolved Skaven?

As for the above post, I believe STC is still supposed to be hugely important. They Admech can build the hell out of an STC item, but falter, or at least take a hell of a long time, at developing new tech. Like how even Belisarius Cawl couldn't figure out how to make the Immortus Gland when developing the Primarus Space Marines, and could only figure out how to build half of it in the form of the Magnificat.

(I hate that word, GW. I know it means "soul" or something in Latin, but I don't need to be picturing magnificent cats when picturing the Primarus)

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 8, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I think the importance of the STC can't be understated. I'm thinking back 15-ish years when I was actually into this, but lots of guard equipment is basically STC-derived stuff, and is a major reason the Imperium can actually field such a large number of conventional forces. Somewhere there are STC factories churning out whatever the current pattern Lasgun is by the billions, which are then shipped off to whoever is due to receive new Lasguns this century.

Or am I misremembering just how much general equipment relies on STCs these days? Again, I don't think I've read a codex in 15 years, so I probably have some lapses.

The core essential stuff is derived from it, but it is like the lowest of the low.

Chimeras are repurposed farming machines. Lasguns were the equivalent of a cheap .22 hunting rifle you'd use to shoot rabbits. There's certain things that maybe 2-3 places in the entire galaxy can produce or repair, and something like the biggest Titans take centuries to make. AdMech are also insane about infosec, and constantly feuding with each other, so there are various "patterns" of things based on where they were made.

There's multiple stories of the Imperium finding a Dark Age civilization that never fell and a single planet is able to hold off the might of an entire Crusade Fleet, Space Marines, and AdMech just from turning on their STC settings to "high" and churning out top tier weapons and armor. The resulting outcome is usually the Imperium doing a colony drop on the planet and considering it a wash.

This also brings up digital weapons, actual named for being basically rings or something you wear capable of dealing out huge damage, that are/were made by a semi-sentient alien race called the Jokaero. Those usually only show up for nobility or Inquisitors, as a last line of defense/surprise attack thing,

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warhammer 40k is not satire and has not been satire since the 80s. It IS trying to say something about authoritarianism and theocracy being bad but that does not make it satire that just means it has a thesis. The satirical tone was, again, left back in the 80s. The modern tone especially if you delve into any of the Horus Heresy material is way more tragedy.

40ks problem is the age old “you can’t make an anti-war war film” problem. Invariably an anti-war war film will make war look cool or noble somehow and 99% of viewers will miss the point. It doesn’t work. It never works. 40k is no exception.

Resurrecting this topic for a moment, I think another problem is that the Imperium is the de facto protagonist faction in 40K. Space Marines are the poster boys for the setting, the 'in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war' spiel at the beginning of most 40K stories is told through the perspective of the Imperium, and in general humanity under this brutal empire gets the most attention. This limits how evil that you can portray the Imperium, since going too far would turn off a lot of potential readers, and limiting their worst aspects will invariably lead to moments where their agents are unambiguously heroic. We'll see how they portray it in this game, though I do think an RPG would give more opportunity to demonstrate how fascist the Imperium can be.

Thinking about it now, the best portrayal of the Imperium of Man - a murderous, xenophobic, fascist regime venerating a corpse - isn't even in 40K. It's the Holy Russian Empire from The New Order. You have to go outside 40K to get a good understanding of what it would be like.

Sierra Madre fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The only protagonists in 40k are the Lamenters :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are the ratlings in the Guard supposed to be unofficially evolved Skaven?

No, ratlings are just humans that evolved like they did because their colonies were high gravity high planets, same as the squats. The main difference between the two was the ratling planets were rich agricultural worlds so they're a bit soft and doughy.

They're just sci fi Hobbits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From Wrath and Glory here is a little thing on the Nature of Machine Spirits, from both Dogma, and a Tech Priest that no long cares much for it, and is teaming up with a Rogue Trader.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Aside from the tank sized weapons that can one-shot anyone at the drop of hat in RT, doesn't the w40k game in general emphasize melee? The tabletop game always seemed to have that RPS balance component where charging melee can absolutely gently caress up ranged units once in range, and why Tau having their ludicrous gun range was a big deal because they would straight up melt in physical combat.

I think it was posted that in RT melee is high risk high reward, but not any of the mechanics like "charging a lascannon is dumb but if you make it you effortlessly kill the gunners" vs "1v1 melee is dice rolls to see who one-shots who"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

pentyne posted:

Aside from the tank sized weapons that can one-shot anyone at the drop of hat in RT, doesn't the w40k game in general emphasize melee? The tabletop game always seemed to have that RPS balance component where charging melee can absolutely gently caress up ranged units once in range, and why Tau having their ludicrous gun range was a big deal because they would straight up melt in physical combat.

I think it was posted that in RT melee is high risk high reward, but not any of the mechanics like "charging a lascannon is dumb but if you make it you effortlessly kill the gunners" vs "1v1 melee is dice rolls to see who one-shots who"

40k is very much about melee being a big thing. The FFG's rpg melee system isn't so much high risk/high reward as it is really effective if the engagement range is suitable and due to the nature of the ttrpg, you're never really engaging at super long distances. Melee combatants want both strength (for damage increase) and agility (dodge and movement speed) to really make use of their skill set but they hit like a truck and can get access to decent weapons really early compared to ranged users being stuck with auto guns and lasguns for while due to the excessive cost of bolter ammunition. In Rogue Trader everyone can come out of the gate with some of the best stuff in the game so a melee user can easily start with a power sword/axe and virtually ignore an armour the enemy has.

The actual secret best melee option is to be a psyker of some kind though because Force weapons let psykers add their willpower bonus to their damage/armour piercing of weapons plus lets them roll for potential turbo exponential damage letting them have a single super stat. The game system hard caps how much you can ever put into one stat but it's still a handy thing to do.

In Rogue Trader Mechanicus characters can be built like absolute tanks and can start with a power axe, later getting a mechanicus special power axe, which makes advancing to melee pretty safe as their damage reduction will let them shrug off anything thats not got huge armour piercing or is essentially an anti-vehicle weapon.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only protagonists in 40k are the Lamenters :colbert:

Chaos are the frickin good guys, and Land Raiders and Land Speeders are named not for the terrain they operate on but because the dude who found the schematics for them was named "Arkhan Land". The only summary of 40k someone needs.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Considering the sometimes... interesting notions of alignment that goes into the Pathfinder CRPG's, I wonder if Owlcat's going to use a WH40K version of it in their conversations in this game,.

T'au Warrior: "Fine, human. We will join forces to get rid of this greater threat for the Greater Good"

1. (Diplomat) This will benefit both the T'au Empire and the Imperium.
2. (Guarded) Until such time as our greater foe has been vanquished. Afterwards.... is afterwards
3. (Heresy-Khorne) Actually, I changed my mind. SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! (Attack)
4. (Radical Inquisitor) Cool. Maybe you can give us some of your hightech stuff? My guardsmen is using a flashlight, I mean a lasgun
5 (Commissar) Foul Xenos! DIE! (BLAM, er.. Attack)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirFozzie posted:

Considering the sometimes... interesting notions of alignment that goes into the Pathfinder CRPG's, I wonder if Owlcat's going to use a WH40K version of it in their conversations in this game,.

I think the trailer implied you can turn heretic if you want, and Rogue Traders already have one foot in that particular grave anyway, having so much freedom. That said, I think a more detailed immorality system would only really be needed if they make a Black Crusade game.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

pentyne posted:

From an old post where a goon played out what would happen if an Eversor with a Halo Artifact fought a Bloodthirster using the FFG 40k rules:

The Bloodthirster Malathax roared in triumph. The puny rabble before it all lay dead or dying. Now, nothing would stop it from breaching the fortress walls. It cared little for the reasons it had been summoned, or why those who had called it wanted this fortress destroyed, for all it sought was blood for the blood god, and much blood had been shed this day. It knew that within the walls were more battles, and the skull of an Inquisitor, quite the prize compared to the chaff they had sent to delay it. All it had to was break the walls.

And, as fate would have it, the walls broke for it.

A meltabomb from within the fortress ripped a hole in its defenses, and Malathrax heard a strange keening from within. Before the smoke even had time to clear, a black blur flew screaming from the hole and was upon Malathrax before he could even react.

quote:

Eversor Initiative: 36
Bloodthirster Initiative: 8
The little figure almost moved faster than even Malathrax's infernal senses could perceive, but Malathrax felt more pain than its mortal shell had ever known as it crashed into his torso and ripped huge strips of flesh away. Its hide of brass and daemonic power were as useless as flak before its assault.

quote:

Eversor Round 1:

Berserker-Slaught grants 5 extra attacks on the charge

Lightning Attack w/ Power Sword 53/90, Lightning Attack w/ Neuro-Gauntlet 69/90, five attacks with Power Sword 6/90, 86/90, 18/90, 26/90, 11/90 for a total of nine powersword hits and three Neuro-Gauntlet hits.

Power Sword damage: 34, 32, 30, 32, 33, 35, 34, 36, 36, Pen 6 each vs Armor 13 and TB 16 = 95 wounds of damage.

Neuro-Gauntlet damage: 31, 26, 28 Pen 8 vs Armor 13 and TB 16 = 22 wounds of damage. Immune to Toxic.

Bloodthirster wound count: 80/192.
Malathrax screamed in fury as the thing danced around its swipes before finally catching it with one hand and throwing it to the ground. It looked like a man, but smelled like nothing it had ever encountered. Its helmet resembled a grinning skull, almost mocking his pain, as if the Blood God himself had sent an emissary of his contempt. Malathrax bellowed once more, and smashed his axe cleanly into the abomination's torso.

It didn't stop flailing.

quote:

Bloodthirster Round 1:

Bloodthirster attacks: 9/99. Eversor dodge attempt: 98/78.

Second attack: 14/99. Eversor dodge attempt: 23/78.

Axe of Khorne damage: 41 Pen 28, Felling 8, total of 36 wounds.

Eversor wound count: 18/54
The man - the thing - actually heaved the axe out of its chest with one hand and sprung up, pulling two small charges from its belt as it sheathed its sword in a single fluid motion. Somewhere in Malathrax's fury-addled mind, it recognized the threat these charges posed, but its pride and rage refused to let it give any ground to this insolent little mortal.

The Eversor, exploiting Malathrax's stubbornness, ducked under its swipes and stuck its melta charges on both of its knees. As they exploded, engulfing the daemon in flame and nearly ruining its legs, it slid out of range of the blast, letting out its maddening keening.

quote:

Round 2:

Eversor switches drugs to Auto-Coagulants, fails Regeneration roll.

Sheathe sword, pull out two meltabombs, throw/stick on

29, 46, both successes regardless of WS or BS

35 and 32 damage, Bloodthirster fails to dodge the first (80/50). 25 Wounds of damage. Bloodthirster is lit on fire. 55/197 Wounds.

Dodge to avoid first blast by Eversor removes him from radius.
This wasn't right. This wasn't fair. A pathetic worm had not only carved open its chest, but it had survived a blow from an Axe of Khorne Himself and blown most its legs to ribbons. As fire engulfed Malathrax's body, it experienced fear for the first time in millennia.

quote:

97/85 WP roll for being on fire, Bloodthirster runs around screaming.
The Eversor's mind ran at a thousand miles an hour, seeing the great daemon before it screaming in pain and trying to flap its great wings to escape. The Machine within it screamed with the same fury as the voice of the Emperor, both demanding the blood of the beast. He drew his sword and ran at the fleeing Bloodthirster, belting an inhuman screech.

quote:

Eversor Round 3:

Eversor activates Berserker-Slaught, gets three bonus attacks, charges once more.

Power Sword Lightning Attack: 95/90 rerolled to 81/90, Neuro-Gauntlet Lightning Attack 36/90, Power Sword bonus attacks 31/90 39/90 98/90 for a total of three Power Sword hits and five Neuro-Gauntlet hits.

Power Sword hits: 33, 33, 38 Pen 6 = 35 wounds of damage.

Neuro-Gauntlet hits: 28, 28, 28, 30, 32 Pen 8 = 41 wounds of damage.

Bloodthirster wound count: -26/197

FATALITY
The Eversor lept onto Malathrax's shoulders, grasping its great neck with its Neuro-Gauntlet with one hand, and sawing its head off with the Power Sword in the other. As the Bloodthirster's body dissolved into warpfire and blood, the Eversor screamed its praise to the Emperor and to the Machine at the heavens.

------

Inside the fortress, the Inquisitor watched as his little toy ripped its way through the hordes of daemons, never slowing in its eternal killing sprint. It had been quite a challenge to appropriate an Eversor from the Officio Assasinorum without them noticing anything was amiss. It had been even more difficult to bargain his way into possession of a Halo Artifact without the wrong eyes noticing. It had been nearly impossible to keep the Eversor controllable after fusing it with the Halo Artifact, even with cryostasis and hypnotic suggestions. And yet, as he watched a daemonic incursion that could break a thousand regiments fleeing before a single man, he knew that it had all been worth it.

_____
Melee gets a little nuts.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

It varies by edition. In some ranged is superior, in others melee. Last I checked, the current edition kind of fucks over the more ranged focused factions because it's incredibly focused on holding objectives to win, and it's generally far easier to shift an enemy unit off one and replacing it with your own in melee rather than with ranged. Plus, in general the ranged focused factions tend to be more fragile, and the objective focus very much favors those factions with extremely tough, hard to shift units.

Or you're Imperial/Chaos Knights, in which case you were initially hosed not only by those overall issues, but by being designed around extremely low model count armies and basically lacking any decent objective scoring unit in the first place.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Koth posted:

It varies by edition. In some ranged is superior, in others melee. Last I checked, the current edition kind of fucks over the more ranged focused factions because it's incredibly focused on holding objectives to win, and it's generally far easier to shift an enemy unit off one and replacing it with your own in melee rather than with ranged. Plus, in general the ranged focused factions tend to be more fragile, and the objective focus very much favors those factions with extremely tough, hard to shift units.

In other words, the Tau have been put into a massive trashcan, as they should be :smug: Sure, the Guard and the Sisters (albeit to a lesser extent) get hosed over, but this is 40K, that's their job.

Real talk though, does GW have any plans to rectify the above? I admit, I don't have much of a horse in this since I have neither the time nor the money to play the tabletop, but it must be real lovely for people who dropped paychecks on large tabletop ranged armies.

Preechr posted:

WRYYYYversor :words:

The best part is that (assuming the Halo Device has reached the third stage of fusion) the Eversor literally cannot be permanently killed short of dumping his ashes into a star. Even if the Bloodthirster killed him, all that would happen is that the Eversor would explode as normal, and one of the biggest bits would just regenerate back into the dude, at which point Khorne would probably admit that Slaanesh might be on to something (though never admit it; he's a little tsundere* that way) and elevate the Eversor to Princehood :unsmigghh:

EDIT: *Here's a little warp corruption for you: Khornii-chan :anime:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: *Here's a little warp corruption for you: Khornii-chan :anime:

go to Khornii-Horny jail.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing about ranged and melee is that past a certain point all notions of which is better fly out the window because everything comes down to "do you go first? If so, then win." once you have the right equipment, in the RT system. For instance, one of my players had an ork mek who was able to make a gun that wasted a Greater Demon of Khorne in a single round.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

NewMars posted:

The thing about ranged and melee is that past a certain point all notions of which is better fly out the window because everything comes down to "do you go first? If so, then win." once you have the right equipment, in the RT system. For instance, one of my players had an ork mek who was able to make a gun that wasted a Greater Demon of Khorne in a single round.
I see no problem with this whatsoever. Hell, it's pretty much on point for the life goal of an Ork Mek, if you ask me. :orks101:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos are the frickin good guys,

:hmmno:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
With the amount of bullshit you could get up to in Wrath of the Righteous with the Mythic Paths, I hope Owlbear just dials everything up to 11 aand let's you go nuts.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos are the frickin good guys honest assholes of all the factions. At least they admit that they are doing it for their own pleasure when they burn you to crisp and snort your ashes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

I see no problem with this whatsoever. Hell, it's pretty much on point for the life goal of an Ork Mek, if you ask me. :orks101:

It was his goal. The campaign ended soon after because he had nowhere else to go with it that I could reasonably run.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Presumably a companion or major NPC.

https://owlcat.games/news/72

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

So the one who will whine about the logistics of making a ship solely out of guns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

As the PC's Seneschal, odds are good that he's a companion, as the Seneschal was a PC class in the TTRPG, combining the skills of an accountant and a spymaster in one. One of the better classes too, IIRC, though of course nowhere as devastating as an Explorator.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Big paladin vibes from his character description. All about rules and order, belief in the nobility of the cause etc.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Big paladin vibes from his character description. All about rules and order, belief in the nobility of the cause etc.

Are you reading something about the character somewhere else? Because nothing in that link says anything like that - at least in regards to the character. His description is basically exactly what you would expect of a seneschal - one who manages and maintains the day-to-day running of their lord's (or in this case RT's) domain/enterprise, leaving their leader free to concentrate more on big picture items.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 11, 2022

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pentyne posted:

Seneschal players can be by far the schemiest and shadiest characters of the entire crew

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Are you reading something about the character somewhere else? Because nothing in that link says anything like that - at least in regards to the character. His description is basically exactly what you would expect of a seneschal - one who manages and maintains the day-to-day running of their lord's (or in this case RT's) domain/enterprise, leaving their leader free to concentrate more on big picture items.

Just the overall tone and appearance. Older, diligent, fiercely loyal, imperious, officer class naval background (so nobility more or less), comes off like one of those hardcore lawful letter of the law "greater good" paladin types. Being human but also a rogue trader would mean that it's probably not religious at all but heavily driven by trade success, "greater good" being whatever brings in more profit.

He's definitely a party member who will turn on you if you go heretic/chaos.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Just the overall tone and appearance. Older, diligent, fiercely loyal, imperious, officer class naval background (so nobility more or less), comes off like one of those hardcore lawful letter of the law "greater good" paladin types. Being human but also a rogue trader would mean that it's probably not religious at all but heavily driven by trade success, "greater good" being whatever brings in more profit.

He's definitely a party member who will turn on you if you go heretic/chaos.

Except it doesn't? Even the first paragraph, which is mostly a more romanticised view of Rogue Traders, and nothing about this character specifically, talks about Seneschals as basically handling the dirty work of keeping a Trader dynasty running. Like, most of those artefacts mentioned as the Seneschal being involved in efficiently selling are either going to be archeotech or xenotech, both of which range from very dubiously legal to INCREDIBLY illegal to sell in the Imperium. Not being concerned with the finer details of legality (unless it benefits his employer) is like one of the prime characteristics of a Seneschal, and involves significant interaction with the black market - that portion that caters to the super wealthy in particular.

The rest, so the part actually talking about this specific character, is just about how him being highly capable led to him joining your mother's(?) retinue, and now still works to hold things together (again, this isn't going to be by squeaky clean methods) during the dynasty's current difficulties.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I get how you could have that read in a vacuum but yeah Seneschals aren't really paladiny in any sense and I don't expect this guy to be either. A navy dude who goes Rogue Trader is already someone who jumped ship for profit in the first place, for one.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
From my read of the Rogue Trader core rules, Seneschals basically seem like just Accountants in Space, so I assume they're the overworked and underappreciated workhorses that not only keep everything running, but usually do half of everyone else's jobs when they gently caress up, and are fueled primarily by rage and coffee.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I take this to mean that your character's last name is von Valancius.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EclecticTastes posted:

From my read of the Rogue Trader core rules, Seneschals basically seem like just Accountants in Space, so I assume they're the overworked and underappreciated workhorses that not only keep everything running, but usually do half of everyone else's jobs when they gently caress up, and are fueled primarily by rage and coffee.

They can certainly start out that way, but any good Seneschal would soon graduate to having other people gently caress up and take the blame for them. Also remember that they're usually the ones who handle the Dynasty's finances, making them the shadows behind the throne, so to speak. And coffee? Like a peasant? If you're not humbling anyone apart from the God-Emperor and the High Lords with a single glass from your cellar, can you truly consider yourself part of a Trader Dynasty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

CommissarMega posted:

They can certainly start out that way, but any good Seneschal would soon graduate to having other people gently caress up and take the blame for them. Also remember that they're usually the ones who handle the Dynasty's finances, making them the shadows behind the throne, so to speak. And coffee? Like a peasant? If you're not humbling anyone apart from the God-Emperor and the High Lords with a single glass from your cellar, can you truly consider yourself part of a Trader Dynasty?

I'm more of a fan of the kind of character that humbles them with meticulously upkept spreadsheets, and who ensures anyone who doesn't properly fill out their timesheets and invoices finds their way out the nearest airlock. There's a certain level of excess at which point bureaucracy goes from dull to cool, and that's a vibe I enjoy. And nobody is too rich for coffee.