Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The most important things to understand about Warhammer 40K is
A) It was made by a bunch of gen x English dudes Who had a justifiably extremely negative opinion of governments. At a fundamental level, Warhammer 40K was never meant to be aspirational in any way.
B) up until the mid '90s where it started becoming one of the more profitable sci fi IPs it was written to be extremely silly and nonsensical satire.

My favorite anecdote illustrating the latter point is that one of the most important characters in the setting is named after the bouncer at one of the bars they all used to go to.

Angry Ron

Angryron
Angron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even the mostly dead emperor inert on the golden throne absorbing massive amounts of resources was a dig at the English monarchy according to I want to say Gav.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the emperor had just made 20 Vulcans they'd all be fine

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a little concerned about how the promo materials seem to be really digging into the chaos versus good boy narrative.

Maybe I'm by myself over here but I was hoping for more of a dynasty building colony/fleet pursuit rather than a big narrative story campaign.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's all well and good until you have 6000 snotlings and a couple dozen squigs in c deck.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My thoughts from about 5 hours of gameplay:
Good:
*Sound direction is incredible. This is by far my biggest takeaway, everything audio is great.
*The dialogue and world building is very good, like other people have said they nailed the tone.
*The absolute base mechanics of the combat are very satisfying. Movement feels good, shooting feels good, It avoids x-com line of sight bullshit by having a preview click that draws arrows to all the targets you can see before you commit to moving.
*Visual presentation definitely has all the foibles you'd associate with a WCRPG, But it's very capably done.
*I absolutely hate it when this style of game limits your party to two or three characters, It's at least six here which is very welcome.
Bad:
*Character diversity mechanically is less than I was hoping for and expecting. Character creation in general obviously is work in progress, But everyone kind of feels like they're doing the same style of damage with a different visual aesthetic. A lot of the level ups I barely read what I was picking because I had read through all of the options early on and only a couple of items had stood out.
*A lot of stuff visually is hard to determine. Sometimes the way skill checks are written out is very obtuse and in particular the trading mechanics are obtuse. It has like a little key next to your options that tells you how much everything is worth but there's no bar or anything to show how much you could potentially be trading, which seems like a confounding decision. I actually know and understand how it works from reading a guide and being familiar with RT but I still find it super confusing and I accidentally sold way more than I wanted to my first experience with it.
*Medicae is confusing to the point where I'm not sure if it's actually implemented or not. The way it's supposed to work according to the dialogue is if you do it within a certain point it takes away the post fight injuries you get. I've literally never seen it work though despite pumping one of my dudes full of the skill. I'm sure I misunderstanding it but at that point I've put a decent amount of time into the game and don't get a core mechanic so...
Meh:
*I'm only a couple of maps outside of the tutorial but the combat seems quite easy. I've only had a couple of close calls despite not being particularly engaged with the leveling system. I'm sure I'm doing the absolute opposite of min-maxing but I'm rolling just about everything. I will say thematically it makes sense for the routine combats to be kind of a power fantasy and they're only being a few fights that truly challenge you.
*This is really a personal opinion but I don't like having to hold tab to see interactable stuff. It's 2023, surely somebody has come up with a better solution than what they were doing in like Baulder's Gate.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 14, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I did find it funny they asked you to rate the attractiveness of the characters.

I was very positive overall but I definitely took the chance to comment on that in the first text box they gave me after that question:

Hey, about the attractive question. This may not be your intent and if I misunderstood I apologize. That said, I really don't like the idea of "romance" in this game. I don't know that that's what you are talking about but, please, either don't include that or make it so you have to go out of your way. The retinue of a rogue trader are basically indentured servants/slaves and the power dynamics make incorporating a "romance" really hosed up. It's bad enough that Mass Effect forces you to be space Bill Clinton, I really, really don't want to role-play space Thomas Jefferson.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

Oh lol I just assumed the attractive thing was a bad translation (survey was pretty iffy on that) and thought they meant, like, how much do you like each character

That's my hope

pentyne posted:

I get the intent but this reads like a Tumblr screed and it's going to a bunch of Russian gaming grognards who will have no clue why you mention US presidents or other video games.

There's at least 2 main party members on parity with the PC too, Henrik the Inq and the Navigator. Probably the Soritas as well if it's more of a 'teammate' then subordinate thing. The Tech Priest not sure how that works because if the Admech says no then it's not like they'll obey the RT.

I haven't ever been to Tumblr but I have been to Russia and you're making a lot of assumptions.

The sister and the navigator are absolutely not on your level. A navigator house itself doesn't have to necessarily answer to a rogue trader but an individual absolutely would. They go out of their way to talk about her being signed over to you in the game. I haven't run into the member of the Inquisition yet but my understanding is he's a member of the retinue not the inquisitor himself. Basically it's a whole bunch of people who directly answer to you but some of them maybe have other allegiances to other powers that are roughly equal to you or not far off

The Chief engineseer is the closest thing to a peer in RT fluff. This is in the sense that they would actually be paid a salary and would have the opportunity to leave the ship in some instances if they wanted to.

All in all I think there's a very good reason the majority of Black library stuff usually pointedly avoids these sorts of things.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Chapter one
The Space Marine was a bitch. Real sudden spike in difficulty. I ended up deciding to blow up the Fusion Reactor. There are definitely a few of those out there and letting a planet with no sun become a full on Demon world seemed like a really, really bad idea.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quick 2 gameplay questions:
I picked up a multimelta but I don't see a heavy weapon option in level-up. Is it just equipable by the space marine?
Have y'all noticed any particularly effective ways to prioritize the trading options. I gave a bunch of poo poo to the mechanicus because they seem like an obvious one.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of eldar I ran into a pretty fun bug where they decided they were literally going to have a hundred percent Dodge chance. The only way I could damage them was by using psychic powers. Even after knocking them down they were still dodging 100% of the time.

A couple of them didn't prox that bug though and got one shot by a burst from the sister.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a bad day in general for bugs. I was on a void ship mission that crashed to desktop every 5 minutes so I had to save every 3 minutes. I had a combat where somebody got stuck running on a treadmill when I asked him to move somewhere where I had to close the program. A gargantuan Palace kept disappearing, and then there's the immortal dancing eldar. I went from not reporting a single bug to reporting like 12 in one session.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like the ship combat but sometimes the facing for torpedoes and ships gets bugged out and it sends me every time

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I think the idea that Black Library stays away from certain topics because they feel like teenagers aren't going to read it is a really asinine thing to say. I know so many more 40K fans in their mid to late 30s than I do teenagers, It's an older hobby. I can't link any specific comments because it's poo poo from, like, podcast interviews But every established black library author I've heard talk is very aware of the challenges of the setting and wants to avoid something that actually trivializes real trauma.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

? I have zero clue how anything you just said connects to anything I posted. Did you quote the wrong person?

I'm agreeing with you there's another person earlier in the thread who said that I'm arguing against.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The direction of act 3 annoys me. I want to play a rogue trader game not tourism of the deadliest places in space. Going where you go in act 3 and surviving and getting out and coming back is about as believable as somebody getting their head blown off in one scene and then coming back and saying they got better in the next.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, but the thing that makes Rogue trader tabletop engaging is that it's a grim dark Star Trek. I didn't necessarily want to have like seven gameplay factions all pissed at me doing the universal studios tour of the 40K universe.

That said, The NPCs and the intrigue within the ship regarding the former Rogue Trader are compelling enough that I'm actively thinking about them from time to time weeks after playing the beta. I think it's going to be a good, compelling game

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just stumbled into op builds but I never felt tarpitted. Other than certain elves who had like 95% dodge chance while blinded and prone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the momentum system?

If you deal a lot of damage it goes up, if you lose someone or get hit hard it goes down. Every character has a one off special ability each combat of varrying effectiveness you can spend it on. It also buffs that character for the combat. If you suck you can get the same ability but with a debuff.

The Sister one, for example, lets her shoot like 5-8 extra rounds in her turn at different targets and (if I remember right) the ability to choose to move after her attacks if she wants.

It's much more useful for some classes than others, I rarely had a combat last long enough to bother using it on support characters. In my game Abby (seneschal battle grandpa) and Argie (the SoB) carried the squad. I started calling him Abby-Don after he soloed a chaos space marine in close combat. Got him down to 3 HP on his turn then reaction killed the guy when he tried to run away

Abby rules.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

So what are the special abilities by class? I'm afraid the pen and paper rogue trader class abilities are super lame and poorly balanced. Some of them are very good but not very fluffy, like the RT handing out 10% buffs or the arch-militant getting passive damage and accuracy, but some of the other classes have abilities so lame they rarely come up. I'm thinking these might be adapted to my pen and paper campaign but I don't know what they are!

The soldier classes just basically get to attack as many times as they have action points for and get mobility bonuses. The leader classes get to tell some other unit to do some poo poo and get essentially a free normal turn. I genuinely don't remember what the other classes get because you're using the special powers on your soldiers. The sister of battle special action can potentially take off 2/3 of a bosses hit bar or kill like seven or eight enemy combatants, same with the combat classes, generally speaking if you know what you're doing you don't get enough special actions to overlook those two or three.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately He sat in my chair and so he must die.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The beta was very stable. I only had a couple of instances I would consider bugs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I've been purposefully avoid looking up anything regarding this game but I watched the trailer and the fact that a Space Marine is a 2x2 unit is pretty funny.

They definitely make them scary. I will say the rogue trader retinue does feel a bit tilted. My old dude with a chainsword is a god of war.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hope they focus on exploration and trade on top of these set piece encounters. The Beta had good content but I hope it's not comprehensive.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't assume that you're going to dislike the ship combat. I'm not generally into that kind of mechanic and I really liked it.

It helps that I figured out the secret to elf bullshit in space.
early in your movement fire a torpedo turning in the opposite direction that you plan on turning, elf bullshit realies very heavily on them getting out of your firing arcs and it's basically impossible for them to stay out of your shooting arcs and torpedo arcs. For some reason they generally choose to open themselves up to torpedoes, which are more reliable damage and do more damage if they hit.

Probably my favorite moment in the beta was taking on three larger ships and just having a perfect combat encounter where I killed all three in less than two full turns. Torpedoes are definitely the secret to getting good.

I would actually say the colony management, ship combat, and economy are a significant strength of the game. I gather that's an unpopular opinion but I don't understand why.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's definitely a little bit of tweaking to be done before release. The biggest constraint by far I had in the colony aspect of the game was people.

Thematically that's about like having a dune RPG where Paul's plans are held up by not having enough sand.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More and more I'm becoming aware of the fact that what I really want to be doing with my time is playing the release version of this game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My biggest concern is that they don't greatly expand the open universe//colonization stuff. It's what I had the most fun with during the beta and what I'm most excited about for release. If it turns out the beta already had most or all of that content I'm going to be super bummed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean this is literally what you're supposed to do, you're meant to use other dudes as your HP.

There's exactly one piece of Warhammer 40K media that I think of more often than any other when it comes to the setting. It's a simple line, a humble line delivered simply.

"More corpses." -Avitus

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Corpse starch is supposed to be like 100% corpse. I think it's supposed to be corpse plus other bits.

I didn't find the space marine fight terribly difficult, I beat it on my second attempt. I just sent heinrich straight off to go deal with the sniper and focus fired The Space Marine with everybody else.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's a lot of video game logic. I can tell you right now If I was the captain of an imperial ship the navigator would not be getting off the plane with me. Well to be frank I probably wouldn't be getting off the ship either.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm relieved they didn't go whole hog on the "romances" considering the setting but lol at the only gay dude being the evil torture elf.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just send Abelard and some redshirts, by the end of the beta he absolutely could have soloed most encounters anyways.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd say if you know for sure you want to play at release and want to try to figure a build out for the main game, maybe. The leveling is a little wonky. If not I would wait.

There's no re-leveler for now and it takes a while to figure out how poo poo works.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah ok thank you for the clarification. Will probably wait cuz I wanted to play a Leader and since you said buffbots are also kind of not super well implemented, well...

No matter what you are going to have to play with at least one adept and their build was super confusing to me. I imagine you could get a lot out of watching a couple build videos though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I would hope I am wrong but it appears that attacking Eldar ships has a default 50% miss rate.

Torpedos.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Holofield as far as I can tell doesn't't work at all on torpedoes. There's a pretty simple trick to hitting eldar ships but I'll spoiler it in case people want to find it naturally.

Elder ships really want to be in your rear arc and that's their biggest concern. Before you start maneuvering with your ship launch a torpedo angled to the opposite direction from where you intend to turn. Then just move normally and position your torpedo to target whatever blind spot the eldar ship is closest to. They will spend the entire fight avoiding your guns, which aren't very good vs them, and basically driving directly into your torpedoes for a one hit kill. Typical elf hubris.

Also the ship abilities that you unlock are game changers

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Presumably you're able to corrupt some folks. My experience of the beta there were 1/2 characters I would consider definitively uncorruptible.

I was about 33/66 B/I. Obviously the beta is only the early/mid game But there were only two characters that had a major risk of getting booted. The treacherous eldar did some eldar treachery and the unsanctioned psycher had a major league gently caress-up.

There was an option to tell basically everybody to go away except for I think maybe the navigator and the magos for obvious reasons. Most of those opportunities were for very questionable reasons though.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I blinded an elf and knocked him over and he went from like a 95% Dodge chance to an 85% Dodge chance. I had one combat where all my psychers were down and I didn't have any aoe left and there was one vanilla elf still alive. The combat lasted another like 30 turns because he couldn't hit me and I couldn't hit him.

They are bullshit. At least their bullshit tends to go down as their spikiness goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You get the resource for exploring. My recommendation is to only bring routes you intend on using regularly past yellow. I had enough at the end of the beta that I made a vanity route from my AgriWorld direct to football.