Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Warhammer 40k is not satire and has not been satire since the 80s. It IS trying to say something about authoritarianism and theocracy being bad but that does not make it satire that just means it has a thesis. The satirical tone was, again, left back in the 80s. The modern tone especially if you delve into any of the Horus Heresy material is way more tragedy.

40ks problem is the age old “you can’t make an anti-war war film” problem. Invariably an anti-war war film will make war look cool or noble somehow and 99% of viewers will miss the point. It doesn’t work. It never works. 40k is no exception.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pretty sure they textually doubled down on NO GIRLS ALLOWED recently so I wouldn’t get my hopes up for them to slaughter the dumbest sacred cow any time soon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

frajaq posted:

wasnt that secret project being able to use Webway just like Eldar, that would have helped humanity immensely since no more warp travel risk/navigator guild influence

I would be pretty pissed too!

Yes but again, this was a problem and situation entirely of his own making.

The Emperor is cartoonishly incompetent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mulva posted:

Space Marines are only exceptional in the lore, and in comparison to some dirt farmer making GBS threads themselves in the boonies at that. Throw some juiced up assassin or a Psyker at them and entire squads get loving exploded. Nobody in a Rogue Trader's retinue is "the help", it's all insane badasses. In comparison a Space Marine is mostly a detriment. He can't even be anything but a giant rear end in a top hat in power armor good at killing things. Conversely anyone on your team can be a giant rear end in a top hat good at killing things, *and* have other skills.

It’s more accurate to say that Space Marines are only not exceptional in the miniatures game. Videogames and the books are pretty consistently on the same page of them being insane death machines.

I ain’t even fond of Space Marines but that’s just the facts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The Interex also, unlike the Emperor, figured that fighting Chaos was, long term, a losing game. You'd hold out as long as you could, but eventually you'd be overwhelmed.

The Emperor, by contrast, had a plan that could have worked to win against Chaos. It didn't work, it involved a lot of atrocities, and most of his closest friends had ditched him over the millenia for being a dick about it, but it does provide context for his dumb moves.

I feel like playing up the crappy aspects of the crusade era too much loses what makes it interesting. The Emperor was an rear end in a top hat, there were already hints at how the Imperium was going to fall, but it still needs to be a fall. That makes the story a tragedy with elements of farce, instead of just a bunch of assholes getting killed over nothing.

While broadly speaking I agree, as written yeah it's just a bunch of assholes getting killed over nothing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The minigames aren’t going anywhere and it’s a waste of energy to hope otherwise.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s part of their thing and either enough of their core demographic likes it, or they perceive enough of their core demographic likes it, that it is not going away.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not planning on touching this until it's properly out but I'm curious, what kind of system does the game use?
How grognardy is it compared to their very grognardy Pathfinder games?

Still very grognardy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just thought Navigators were Mutants with a weird power not Psykers is all.

Functionally the same thing in this case because the mutation is "is a Unique Psyker".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

normally she would be but I am the Protagonist in a CRPG so NBD

(I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case in this game tbh)

So uh, no reason but did you play Wrath of the Righteous and how did you feel about Camellia if so

Absolutely no reason at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basically all of the romances in The Old Republic are a nightmare of power imbalances. You are 80% of the time romancing your padawan, your military subordinate who MUST follow your orders , or your literal slave.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So what are peoples thoughts on character builds for the protagonist so far? I understand Psyker is pretty barely implemented rn which is unfortunate because playing one of those to replace the inevitably air locked Idira would be nice but still!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

WH40k has flirted with the odd human/eldar relations here and there for decades, this is nothing new or shocking.

I mean it would still be absolutely scandalous in both societies but yeah. Personally I’m expecting a Wenduag esque romance where the Eldar Ranger is a wildly hosed up person and so is the act of romancing them and there’s a billion failure points.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

More to the point, like a lot of things born in its era, Priestly's original WH40K Rogue Trader had a lot of satire of Thatcherite Britain. The original, original depiction of Space Marines was Just Cops. They were Thatcher-era cops, Orks were soccer hooligans, Eldar were metal punks (and, helmless, looked the part), et cetera. There were plenty of other influences in the blender (the original original original idea had been an RPG much closer to what this very game and the Rogue Trader TT of 2008 was) but the vein of unsubtle mockery of the direction Thatcherite Britain seemed to be trending in was there from the start. (The 'Nids and Genestealers are a weird example, having come along a bit later in development of the line; the Tyranids have always just been classic Bug War aliens, but the early Genestealer Cults were really unsubtle parodies of 80s/early 90s American televangelism, which was a somewhat different phenomenon from expressions of that grift that Britain and wider Europe saw. The OG Cults had the leaders rolling around in barely-disguised Rolls Royces, for example, if I'm remembering this right.)

They began walking back being too hard on the Marines as early as Book of the Astronomican, but until 2nd Edition, the current was still there. It was only 2nd where it started to fade a good bit, and I don't think it's coincidence that 3rd edition, which was when the Grim Darkness began getting played up unironically with the humor trimmed back, and which by happenstance hit the market just ahead of the changes that'd come to the culture of the anglosphere in 2001 and 2002, saw the first really enormous burst of wannabe fash interest in the game.

By that point, the satire could be gone, and it really depended, from writer to writer, how much they "got" the original concept of 40K and tried or bothered to implement it.

From preview footage and some of the review testimonials, it sounds like the Owlcat writing teams falls into the Gets It camp, and I'm excited to see exactly what they've done.

Yeah all of this can't be emphasized enough. When people talk about "Warhammer 40k is satire" ehhhh not really, not since the 80s. There have been satirical ELEMENTS, but by and large, for a very long time, you are usually supposed to root for and enjoy the victories of the Space Marines and to a lesser degree the Imperium in most public facing 40k media. That's not to say satire is totally absent, but I don't think satire can ever be effective in 40k except to someone who would have agreed with the satire regardless. Rule of cool and satire are incompatible. You are supposed to enjoy playing Space Marines, which is to say, you are supposed to enjoy playing as fascists. You are supposed to have fun with your particular bespoke army mans, and that means inevitably the setting is going to spend a lot of time portraying some of the worst motherfuckers imaginable in a heroic light. If only because the alternative is worse.

It's the no such thing as an anti-war war film problem. There's no real getting around it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

it would be more encouraging if this game's gay romance options weren't the slimmest pickings imaginable

It’s 40k dude I will be shocked it every single romance doesn’t trainwreck somehow

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

I am so, so, so eager to see what kind of absolute blazing trainwreck you end up with in the Heinrix romance as a kind, iconoclastic fellow psyker.

I’m all but convinced Cassia is going to be a Camellia level trap of some kind.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Further Reading posted:

I assume a relationship between a human and an Eldar is exactly like Omniman saying he loved Invincible's mum like he'd love a pet.

A bad comparison to make since the whole point of that scene is he’s lying to himself in saying that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah I think people have been confusing the phrases integrated and extended. The DLC is going to be part of the main story, as opposed to the weird one shots Kingmaker and Wrath were so fond of, not extensions after the ending.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mon-keigh is a good joke but it’s got the exaggerated mon-kay pronunciation so you have to think about it for half a second to go “waaaaait a minute”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

making the space marine mechanically consistent with the other characters was a bad idea. They should have just General Leo'd him up with special powers and OP poo poo and then also throw a lot of OP enemies at you for a brief chaotic section with him. Then kill him or send him on his way. It kinda goes against the whole idea of space marines and what people like about them to make him a normal rear end party member. It's why they just let the recruitable dragons be OP in Might and Magic 8. It's no longer fun to hire a dragon if they are balanced normal to everything else.

Eh, Space Marines are basically plot powered and are as super heroic or as chumpy as the plot demands.

Hell in tabletop they’re extremely unremarkable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I'm not that far into the game but I fully expected that at some point iconoclast path throws you into the hands of chaos.

The setting doesn't make a lot of sense to me if fascism isn't necessary to fight pure evil.

Edit: I get that this is satire and the imperial fascism is inhumane and inefficient. But it wouldn't make much sense to me if you could just behave like a good guy and kill Chaos gods with the power of friendship. I guess it would make sense if the Iconoclast path is especially difficult both gameplay-wise and narratively.

Fascism has never been necessary to fight pure evil in 40k. That’s the point. The Empire is a nightmarish machine that makes their primary problem worse, directly and measurably, by existing in the way that it does. It might as well be dedicated to Khorne.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

pentyne posted:

I expect Iconoclast choices to have lovely outcomes and endings.

I don't expect the game to directly say "you sold your soul Chaos fool!" and then flag future consequences with that choice.

It doesn't, normally. Your flags are just severely bugged.

Iconoclast is the only good ending/outcome and pretty much all but states "yes doing the right thing is hard and no one in the Empire will reward you for it but it's the only way forward".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty ok with my C'tan Abominable Intelligence Son. My only complaint is the sudden swerve instead of there being a bit more foreshadowing as to what Act 5 would be about. Wrath was a nice, cohesive narrative, but each act of RT feels like distinctly separate adventures, and the final one is so short and sudden that it doesn't really have time to sink in.

I do hope they throw in Ork DLC at some point though. A comic relief story would be a good addition to the narrative. Maybe the Void DLC will set up Act 5 better.

Given how much of Warhammer 40k is the dieect result of the Emperor being a worthless dogshit parent, it feels appropriate that the best outcome possible in Rogue Trader is being a good parent to a nascent demigod