Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

pentyne's highlight posted:

Finally, you roll d100 for every 5 days in the Warp, adding +20 to the roll if you succeeded the Per+10 roll earlier to spot potential random encounters, with a 25% chance of nothing happening (45% if you got that sweet +20!) and lots of chances of hauntings or spooky events or whatever that will hurt crew and morale. Also, most of the random encounters in the warp are vague and will rely on the GM to arbitrarily take their description and insert an adventure and are you seeing the loving pattern? It's almost like you roll a ton of dice just to arrive at 'The GM waves their hands and makes up some spooky poo poo and then maybe we get on with the real adventure'. Navigating is a ton of random, non-interactive bullshit that adds up to a totally pointless subsystem I'm sure a lot of players ignored after the first couple voyages, AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MECHANICAL THING NAVIGATORS GET TO INTERACT WITH.

I remember Grey Hunter's DnD rogue trader sessions, basically the only reason I even know RT exists, and they went without a full navigator for several sessions, which meant they ended up wasting all-told something on the order of several years to decades in the warp compared to normal time. Oh, and warp encounters, lots of "warp reefs" and other non-lethal but very annoying to dangerous random bullshit. They had more than one demon incursion due to geller field failures and whatnot.

fakeedit: their mechanicus adept player also made it their mission to become an unstoppable god of death and Grey's personal encounter defeater. A role I say they succeeded pretty well at.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

NewMars posted:

One time we directly translated into a warp storm without going through safety measures due to orks attacking. We were stuck inside it for months. And then when we got out, it was right into a hellish time loop situation.

This was all with the expanded warp travel rules, which have an entire book dedicated to them.

I won't lie, as someone who had very limited knowledge of 40k at the time, DoW was really my only exposure, those sessions kind of kicked rear end and made me like 40k a lot more in general.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

One thing to add is that even AI are susceptible to Chaos, so there's a very real chance that too-smart an AC unit could suddenly sprout tentacles and spikes.

Also as I understand it one reason new technology is either verboten or extremely slow to come out is that the adeptus have to inspect every square inch of it to make sure it didn't accidentally, or "accidentally", include a chaos symbol in its construction, which could lead to the aforementioned spontaneous tentacularing.