Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been casually following the updates and had assumed that this time Owlcat would be building their own system rather than trying to transpose Rogue Trader's ruleset. Gosh this one is going to be... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The subtext of how the Inquisition is described is that it is a conveyer belt of people being recruited, starting out as Puritans, gradually becoming more and more radical as the combination of total freedom and radical challenges pushes them to adopt novel solutions, and eventually becoming corrupted because knowledge of Chaos is inherently corrupting and getting hunted down and executed by a fresh Puritan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

Owlcat is also notorious for being extremely in love with the management aspects of the game despite them being regarded as the weakest part of the games, by far, and overly complicated for little to no benefit.

Their auto modes for said management systems also manage to be worse in almost every regard and potentially breaking the game.

Also unnecessarily obtuse puzzles and stories that are gated behind obscure decisions you took dozens of hours before. And an odd mix of extremely varied character options contrasted with encounter design that assumes you min-maxxed into a set of very optimal specs.

The thing is, while you can imagine someone coming along and doing better, they are good enough in this specific niche where there isn't any real competition that the advice is still 'buy the complete edition' rather than 'avoid'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nobody made Owlcat design encounters where enemies are given permament buffs by a bunch of off-screen wizards.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Perestroika posted:

The part about the Eldar ships made me go a bit :crossarms:. Traditionally, the gimmick for Eldar ships is that they can dodge attacks very well, but in return they have no regular shields at all (with a handful of exceptions) and have a super fragile hull structure to boot. So they might avoid 8 out of 10 shots, but those 2 that do hit will do lasting and quite possibly critical damage. Owlcat giving them (presumably regenerating) regular shields on top of their agility seems like a weird move that'll hopefully be addressed down the line.

Eh, the battle system is always going to be a secondary game system tacked onto the main one for reasons that only Owlcat can explain they think they need in all their games, so it'll be approximations rather than an attempt to copy Battlefleet Gothic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a bit left-of-arc right-of-arc because Space Marines are insane death machines but they also exist to fight insane threats that regular soldiers wouldn't have a hope in hell of fighting unless they were some one-in-a-million hero (which all the other characters are of course).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He made a literal pact with the devil to get the Primarchs but I don't think it's ever really been hinted at why he felt the need to make that deal. Unless the Primarchs were a necessary step to start mass producing Space Marines.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Rogue Traders are also a holdover from when the Imperium was the Holy Roman Empire in space so it made more sense that there was this group of people who were just empowered to run a fiefdom of a dozen or so planets and also just personally oversee a bit of colonisation. Also there was a greater focus on the fact that the Great Crusade was incomplete so there was still a whole load of human colonies out there that hadn't been incorporated into the Imperium yet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

Core fixes will do a lot to make everything up to Act 3 more fun and manageable. Act 3 is more of a unique set piece and Owlcat are the worst when it comes to setting up that kind of chapter/act and going too far deep into the technically complex and creative aspect at the cost of function. It also has vibes of their final dungeon in Kingmaker, one that was universally hated for the feature of splitting the party, forcing you to run around and hope you don't trigger any fights because they are balanced against a full party.

My biggest concern is the power creep on skill checks especially for anything tied to main quest progression. They set up a fatal one in Kingmaker that would deadstop progression in Act 4, and in general skill checks in Act 5 exploded in difficulty from mid to high 20s to high 30s and up.

As a game it seems overall easier then the Pathfinder ones, but the style of combat seems more designed for grand setpiece fight spectacles and not 10-15+ mobs of enemies crowding the screen. One easy feature that would make those huge fights more manageable would be some kind of special per encounter summon for the RT, get like 3-5 grunts with 10HP and lasguns, maybe a Sergeant with a bolter pistol and sword, and they can only move and do basic attacks.

Yeah the reason I'm holding back is because of Owlcat's historic 'just make the numbers ridiculously high' approach to encounter design.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay so I looked away and suddenly this thread had 800 unread posts which is usually a pretty good sign for a game that's just been released. What's the consensus view on release? Is this is a classic Owlbear 'wait a few months for them to patch it up?' case?

Is character building forgiving or are they once again balancing for optimisation?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm most of the way through chapter 2 now and experiencing the very Owlcat feeling of now knowing enough about the game to be spotting my suboptimal build choices. Not that it matters because the party has enough raw firepower to deal with anything I've faced this far quite easily, but my PC is an officer grand strategist who 99% of the time does not actually make an attack in his turn and is just buffing/giving extra shots to the team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't that what an Officer is best at? Warriors and Soldiers are the damage dealers, Officers are buffbots.

Yeah but you are never quite sure when the game is going to drop the PC into a solo combat encounter.

I've now read a guide and am kinda agreeing that I should have gone Master Tactician for the PC and Grand Strategist for Cassia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just got to the Forge World and was forced to take Henrix and over Yrliet and OH MY when he's buffed and hitting something with a force sword then he's a beast.

With the pathfinder games I always felt that party building was a bit easy - you picked around your PC. Here it is considerably less obvious - you want to get your key skills in and Cassia is obviously S-tier but there is a lot of choice in the 'generic frontliner who does something else' space.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay yes, I'm in Chapter 3 and this is absolutely where the classic Owlbear 'I hope you are running optimal builds for this fight' trait comes out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, in the end it didn't matter. Just finished the game, by the end of Act 3 I'd thoroughly broken the combat system with a mix of Cassia blasting/Crowd controlling things and Ulfar getting given turn after turn to build up versatility and murder everything, often in Round one. The Rogue Trader game system just isn't very good. I feel like the game really fell apart during/after Chapter 3. Everything gets very rushed, the maps get very small, quests lose all depth. The game follows very suspiciously similar plot beats to Wrath of the Righteous but the story is an absolute mess that's not satisfying at all and feels very rushed - it would be generous it feels like the game suffered a lot from Covid but these are classic Owlbear complaints.

I would like more 40k RPGs because the setting is so incredibly rich, but really I want something more like CDPR making an Inquisitor game than this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Give other folks turns and put out rear zones where they'll be shooting from while putting Frontline zones under the big enemies to be shot. Officer/GS is a giant multiplier to Arch-Militant and (to a lesser extent) overall damage output.

Yeah it's this. You have one class who's thing is 'I do exponentially more damage with every action I take in combat' and another class who's thing is 'here fellow party member, have some more action points' and together that's a hammer big enough to trivialise every combat encounter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I used frontline and the talent that lets someone standing in a zone move it so that Ulfar could run around the battlefield getting a 25+% boost to his dps wherever he needed to hit people.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Is there a resource for character builds/trap options/things that straight up dont work(the ol' owlcat special) the thread can recommend?
New to Rogue Trader and feeling overwhelmed by lists.

I avoided anything to do with status effects and just stacked up anything that was +damage, -armour, more AP.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah 'dealing with bureaucracy is slow and boring' is not a particularly original joke.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I also kept waiting for the moment where the game rug pulls you for trying to be a good guy in the world of 40k. I will tell you that it does kinda happen, but in an incredibly unsatisfying way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's also just annoying and unnecessary to have to take damage and do unnecessary spam fights in the ship all because I suboptimally distributed my nav points between nodes earlier in the game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An advantage to the game throwing you a level up every 5 minutes is that you really don't have buyer's regret, and there are only a few 'necessary combinations' that become evident as you play on - most level ups just add another stacking bonus to doing stuff. This isn't like Pathfinder where a sub-optimal choice at level 3 fucks your character over for the rest of the game.

The only firm advice I'd have is with the companions to lean into their unique class/background skills whenever you have the chance. Like if you build Cassia as an Officer and not as a Navigator then you are barking up the wrong path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For reference: I had a moment halfway through my game where I thought 'oh I understand what's important now, I can respec'. And I just never did because it was too much hassle. In the final act of the game I just didn't bother with the last 10 levels or so because they were so irrelevant and I was winning every fight in the first action turn on hard.