Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Psycho Landlord posted:

games gonna own, either in the actually good way or the lol lmao what is this launch way

It's Owlcat, we're getting 2 for 1 :allears:

Emperor help me, I cannot loving wait for this. I'll be turning to Slaanesh or Nurgle just to make the pain bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah they're basically just 40k shoggoths. No one knows where they come from and they were created for the rpgs to scare deathwatch and high end rogue trader players.

I think it's been implied elsewhere is that they were one of the gods killed in the War in heaven, and their pieces scattered to the universe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

I really hope we get one of those weird Ork psykers. I want to turn people into squigs.

One of my favourite parts of the sourcebook that gave us the rules for Ork Weirdboyz was their ability 'Da Big Shout', which allows them to send astropathic messages by shouting as loud as possible, and the books says that the player has the option to do so as well :allears:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh right, LINGER and all that

Yeah; I thought it had something to do with a Hrud deity, but I got that mixed up with some fanworks I was involved in a while back :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Radia posted:

so a random question ima drop in here - there were tons of lore dumps in the Pathfinder CRPG thread, which is fine, but i was getting tons of mixed messages from them. a lot of the same posters who loved the lore and detailed the sci-fi setting and poo poo also said that 40k was a satire and you're never supposed to take it seriously and that it's funny. and i just don't really understand what folks get out of the setting as a result, I think. Warhammer Fantasy did a mix of playing it straight and being pretty corny that I liked, but also was clearly not just trying to be a cartoon. (except ofc when it was and it owned). is the lore cool and engaging, or satire and silly?

For me, part of what I like about 40K is that when done right, its grimdark goes and loops from 'STUPID AWESOME loving METAAAL :black101:' to cosmic horror story to existential horror pretty constantly, which are themes that I love.

STUPID AWESOME loving METAAAL is when you have 8-foot tall literal demigods hacking and slashing away at each other with chainsaw swords, and also at least one of those sides is possessed by daemons. It's when completely normal, unaugmented human beings face down those demigods with nothing more than guts and gumption, their own weapons and armour being so weak the fanbase describes it as 'the t-shirt and flashlight combo'. It's when armies of the two face off on a doomed planet, and even as said planet cracks open, both sides are still fighting.

The cosmic horror story comes in when your heroes face off against enemies that are far too large in actual size, power and even scope to properly fight; no JRPG heroes killing gods here (though the Chaos Gods will certainly encourage that kind of hubris). It's when even the greatest and best of our heroes are nothing compared to the outside forces that have molded them into the roles they are compelled to play, whether that be the mundane forces of an oppressive fascist theocracy, or the supranatural forces and mocking laughter of thirsting gods.

The existential horror comes in when you realize that all things considered, the current state of things in 40K- the fascist theocracy, the endless (and sometimes literal) hellwars, the dying light of sapient life- is actually the best outcome for all the sons involved considering the mistakes their fathers made in the past. It is realizing that so much of what we consider immutable moral principles are themselves social constructs, because given the right circumstances, planetary genocide might be the objectively moral decision to make- and it might be an opinion held even by the people upon whom the genocide is being committed. It is the dawning knowledge that as much as 40K is a fantasy built from satire, in-jokes and 80's shitposting, it is also a frightening mirror as to what we could become if we're not careful, and is surprisingly more subtle and even-handed in this regard than the Star Wars prequels and newer Star Trek series (though I'm actually of the opinion that some anvils need to be dropped).

That said, it's not all doom and gloom, believe it or not. There are good people in the Imperium trying to live their lives and do their duties as best they could within the culture they were raised in. There are significant victories, at least from a personal scale- you know the whole 'saving the world' trope? That happens every day in 40K, it's just that set against the backdrop of a galaxy at war, a world here and there doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things- but it does matter to the billions whose world has been saved. Even death doesn't need to be grimdark- sometimes, just surviving longer than you are expected to is enough, and is a more narratively satisfying ending than 'they all saved the world with the power of friendship and lived happily ever after, the end!'. It's a universe where the smallest sparks of kindness and heroism are magnified even greater because they occur in such grimdarkness.

Bringing it back to Rogue Trader, I can see why Owlcat chose to go with this line as opposed to the more 'in-theme' games like Dark Heresy (where you play an Inqusitorial squad), Only War (where you play a bunch of Guardsmen) or even Deathwatch (where you play the game's poster boys, the Space Marines). The life of a Rogue Trader is the life of an Imperial citizen writ large- you are richer than planetary governors, have more overt power and resources than most Inquisitors, along with the firepower and freedom to act than some Marine chapters, combined with a degree of freedom that a very, VERY rare few enjoy. It's a good stepping stone into the universe proper, and I hope it does well so we can get a Black Crusade game down the line :unsmigghh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Radia posted:

ok i think im sold on the fun part of the setting by "orks painting their motorcycles red get a speed bonus and also they're space motorcycles". holy fuckballs

Yeah, Orks are the funnest part of the setting- depending on how you read them or the writer themselves, they're either the only faction that gets the joke of 40K, or just doesn't give a gently caress. They're here to have fun, krump gits, and GO FASTAAAAA WAAAAAGH!:orks101::orks:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Radia posted:

so see im not sure im following again! im struggling with the inconsistencies here i guess lol. cause your post was all about how good it was at serious stories, and how they clashed with deep and topical themes.

Whoops, my bad! I think you can put the Orks in the STUPID AWESOME loving METAAAL section of my post- one of the dumb-yet-awesome things that just makes the dopamine flow as you read about these green-skinned football hooligans just going around and wrecking poo poo.

And then you pick up another novel and it's all about how hard it is to enforce a single, universal standard of law in a universe where those at the top can choose to subvert it at will, and the lower classes cannot live with said standard as applied. 40K's a trip, I'll tell you what!

DIT:

pentyne posted:

The last game in that series was Retribution, where you picked 1 of 6 factions to pursue their quest line for. The questlines were
Orks: That man has a fancy hat. Get his fancy hat.

You forget the best part- the Inquisitor with the fancy hat basically tried to bribe the Orks with a fight, offering up three entire regiments of Guardsmen (around 30,000 - 150,000 men, depending on the regiments) to be slaughtered at the Orks' hands.

The Warboss then said he'd accept, but only if the Inquisitor threw in her hat as well.

And what is the Inquisitor's response? "CERTANLY NOT, GREENSKIN!"

That's 40K, comedy and overdone grimdark in a single nutshell :allears:

The cutscene fragment in question, though the entire video is worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQWz1_uSNU&t=328s

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 5, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

battle nuns who have actual shrines bolted to their tanks

Excuse me? Their tanks do not have shrines bolted to them, their tanks are shrines :colbert:

Now report to the Commissar for debriefing. Should you survive with at least two intact limbs, I have a trench for you to dig.

(Seriously though, I want that cathedral helmet IRL :allears:)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My personal 40K lit suggestions:

1: The Eisenhorn series: For those who want a look at the inner workings of the Imperium beyond "ALL IS WAR AND WAR IS ALL". These books by Dan Abnett detail the adventures of Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn and his retinue, and serve as a look at both the aforementioned inner workings, as well as give a look into the philosophies behind 40K, chief among which is that no good deed goes unpunished. Also, despite the Space Marines being the poster boys of the game line, the Inquisition is one of the most impactful organizations within the Imperium, which make the Eisenhorn series a good first jump into the universe if you don't mind/are attracted to the grimdark.

2: CI-CI-CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!: Covering the adventures of the hapless/heroic/hapless-yet-heroic/heroic-yet-thinks-of-himself-as-hapless Commissar Caiaphas Cain, this is the book series you read if you still want to take in a proper treatment of the 40K universe, but you're not really in the mood to wonder how our heroes have damned themselves and their world this time. Sandy Mitchell does a great job balancing between taking the piss out of 40K, while at the same time being quite respectful of the fluff where and when he needs to be. .

3: The Gaunt's Ghosts series: Another good book series by Dan Abnett, this series detail the adventures of the Tanith First-and-Only, the sole regiment raised by the world of Tanith before it was obliterated by Chaos. A great look into how the whole 'Only War' thing works out from the perspectives of ground troopers, and a much better look into how life is in the Imperial Guard than the Ciaphas Cain books (then again, that's not the focus of the latter). There is grimdark here, though it's less 'oppression of the grinding machine of omnipresent government', and more 'last stand of a brave band of heroes whom no-one will ever hear of'.

4: The Shira Calpurnia series: I know ACAB, but this is 40K, everyone is AB, so Shira Calpurnia being not just a 40K cop, but a 40K super cop is excusable. Like Eisenhorn, this series provides a look into the civilian life of the Imperium, and how the Lex Imperialis (standard Imperial law) affects everyone from the planetary governor on down. The second book in the series, Legacy, has a lot to do with the thread topic, seeing as it concerns a Rogue Trader charter. It's also a good look into how high-level politics shape things in the Imperium, and how an actual honest cop like Shira might have trouble navigating that labyrinth. A criminally underrated series, if you'll pardon my phrasing.

5: The Night Lords series: This series from Aaron Dembski-Bowen may not be very newbie friendly from what I remember, but if anyone want to have a look into the workings of a Chaos Space Marine Legion that somehow manages to remain vaguely sympathetic, this is it. As one of the saner CSM Legions (which is like saying they're serial killers amng genocidal tyrants), the Night Lords show you can have very good reasons for turning to Chaos, and why that is nevertheless a bad idea. Still, they do the best with the situation they're in. Much more exciting and immersive than most normal Space Marine works.

Honourable Mentions

The Sisters of Battle Omnibus by James Swallow: I'll be frank with you guys- as odd as this might sound, I genuinely, honestly have no idea whether or not this book series is good. I mean, I friggin' loved it, and had I made this post before I read Swallow's Blood Angels books, this would have been right up there with the other good book series. However, said Blood Angels books literally bored me to sleep, and I can't remember enough about them to even give them a proper critique. This in turn means that I have no idea whether it was my general disinterest in Space Marines that did me in, or if Swallow is just bad at writing Marines, or if he's just a bad writer in general and it's only my :syoon: over the Ecclesiarchy in general that kept me enraptured while reading these books.

Aaanyway, these books and short stories cover the exploits of Sisters Miriya and Verity (a soldier and scholar respectively) as they navigate matters of faith and fury in the Imperium. I personally think it has a good mix of both the Imperium's politics and hot bolter-on-heretic action, interspersed with details on how faith in the Imperium is generally expressed. It's in general a very favourable view on the Sororitas, which is quite refreshing since most other authors tend to poo poo on them both in fiction and in the game codices, though whether or not is a positive depends on how you view the kind of pervasive faith the Sisters fight for.

Fifteen Hours: This one-shot novel was one of the first (if not the first; my memory's a little rusty) novel written about the Guard. It details the life of one newbie Guardsman, who is told that the average lifespan of a fresh Guardsman on the world he's landed on is, well, fifteen hours. Taking it as a personal challenge, the Guardsman then fights with every ounce of strength he's got to prove that he's worthy of survival.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the whole 'the Imperium will glass a planet if there's so much as an ork spore or one downhiver has a stray thought' thing is a massive over-exaggeration; in all but the most dire cases (e.g. a Tyranid hive fleet is bearing down or the planet is imminently going to turn into a Daemon World), the Imperium would be more willing to spend billions of lives over the span of decades than kill a planet- after all, lives are the one resource the Imperium has an abundance of, and worlds are the only losses it cares about.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Imperium have some fun bits too, the foundation was heavily cribbed from Dune so AI is highly illegal. But they also had highly valuable machines of war that required it so they started a lie about the machines being blessed by the Machine God and inhabited by machine spirits. This belief spread and millenia later led to Mars being controlled by a cult dedicated to this machine God.

Okay, so, Machine Spirits:

Way back in the day, humanity relied on AI machines known as the Men of Iron to do the grunt work. This worked out well for a time, until of course these thinking machines decided that hey, they were doing most of the work, they deserved most of the power, right? As expected, future capitalists didn't take too kindly to their toasters deciding to unionize, and so thus ended humanity's golden technological age (later known as the Dark Age of Technology) in interstellar fire. The Adeptus Mechanicus that arose afterwards held that Abominable Intelligences were verboten, and creating machines with the minds of mankind would be punishable by the most painful torments the AdMech could think of. Considering they held the vast majority of Dark Age tech and knowledge, they could think of quite a lot.

That said, much of humanity's greatest technological accomplishments relied on at least some kind of AI, and so thse were grandfathered in as 'machine spirits', which was an animistic belief of the Mechanicus that all devices save the most rudimentary had an animating spirit, which also had the happy side-effect of ensuring that the Mechanicus had a monopoly on all technological development and operations.

That said, there is another aspect to machine spirits, especially when it comes to things that don't require an AI. After all, not every Guardsmen is a member of the AdMech, and your average habworker doesn't go to a Temple Mechanicus every time he wants to make toast. In this case, 'machine spirits' make for a handy excuse for rote operations of technology, especially those technologies the Imperium might not be able to mass produce (or even at all). Say a guy want some air conditioning while he's driving. On Earth, he might have an older car and need to wait half a minute or so before he can safely turn on the AC. In the Imperium, he might recite the Catechisms of Techno-Inspiration three times (each taking ten seconds to do so, conveniently enough) in order to fully rouse his car's spirit before he turns on the frigidarius, lest he incite his vehicle's wrath.

In this way, the AdMech passes on knowledge to its lay priests and the howling masses. Dressing up regular technological procedures in religious ceremony also ensures that the aforementioned ancient technologies still in use aren't misused; a gung-ho idiot (which the Imperium encourages the production of) might be cavalier with how they operate their lasgun if they just saw it as some tech, but might take far better care of it if he thinks the Emperor-as-Omnissiah will curse him if he doesn't. That said, the higher ranks of the AdMech DO know the science behind most save the most advanced technology, but even at those high levels there's still some semblance of mysticism.

And finally, 40K is a universe based on belief and how the actions/emotions said belief inspires resonates in the warp. The Eldar once believed they were invincible, grew decadent, then turbo-murderfucked a Chaos God into existence whole also ensuring that humanity would need to turn its atheist god-king into a psychic lighthouse in order to travel from star to star. And now there is an empire consisting of trillions of screaming fanatics, 99.999% of whom (even the heretics) believe that all machines have a spirit in them that needs to be appeased...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ardryn posted:

Also as I understand it one reason new technology is either verboten or extremely slow to come out is that the adeptus have to inspect every square inch of it to make sure it didn't accidentally, or "accidentally", include a chaos symbol in its construction, which could lead to the aforementioned spontaneous tentacularing.

Yep, it's called a Logos Daemonis, which is also why the Mechanicus tends to look poorly on (as in, 'forget servitorization, just shoot the bastard') excessive creativity; not only is a creative outlook one that by definition looks outside the prescribed way of doing things, it's also one that is very vulnerable to warp taint (mainly by Tzeentch, but other Chaos Gods can stick their oar in too).

Another practical reason that development is so slow is because the Imperium relies on mass-production and ease of logistics rather than individual unit effectiveness, especially since it relies on standard-template factories and standardized education. Sure, your new body armour is twice as protective as regular Guard flak, but if it requires three times as many resources to make and/or specialized education only available to high-ranking techpriests, you'd probably be laughed out of the seminary (and then shot for excessive creativity/stupidity). Have schematics for a dune buggy that does excellently in deserts but moves like trash anywhere else? No chance in hell is a Magos going to retool (and risk damaging) a millennia-old factory that makes Chimeras just because you have a techno-fetish for dune buggies (in fact, he'll probably have you shot for excessive creativity/stupidity).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirFozzie posted:

Considering the sometimes... interesting notions of alignment that goes into the Pathfinder CRPG's, I wonder if Owlcat's going to use a WH40K version of it in their conversations in this game,.

I think the trailer implied you can turn heretic if you want, and Rogue Traders already have one foot in that particular grave anyway, having so much freedom. That said, I think a more detailed immorality system would only really be needed if they make a Black Crusade game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Koth posted:

It varies by edition. In some ranged is superior, in others melee. Last I checked, the current edition kind of fucks over the more ranged focused factions because it's incredibly focused on holding objectives to win, and it's generally far easier to shift an enemy unit off one and replacing it with your own in melee rather than with ranged. Plus, in general the ranged focused factions tend to be more fragile, and the objective focus very much favors those factions with extremely tough, hard to shift units.

In other words, the Tau have been put into a massive trashcan, as they should be :smug: Sure, the Guard and the Sisters (albeit to a lesser extent) get hosed over, but this is 40K, that's their job.

Real talk though, does GW have any plans to rectify the above? I admit, I don't have much of a horse in this since I have neither the time nor the money to play the tabletop, but it must be real lovely for people who dropped paychecks on large tabletop ranged armies.

Preechr posted:

WRYYYYversor :words:

The best part is that (assuming the Halo Device has reached the third stage of fusion) the Eversor literally cannot be permanently killed short of dumping his ashes into a star. Even if the Bloodthirster killed him, all that would happen is that the Eversor would explode as normal, and one of the biggest bits would just regenerate back into the dude, at which point Khorne would probably admit that Slaanesh might be on to something (though never admit it; he's a little tsundere* that way) and elevate the Eversor to Princehood :unsmigghh:

EDIT: *Here's a little warp corruption for you: Khornii-chan :anime:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

Presumably a companion or major NPC.

https://owlcat.games/news/72

As the PC's Seneschal, odds are good that he's a companion, as the Seneschal was a PC class in the TTRPG, combining the skills of an accountant and a spymaster in one. One of the better classes too, IIRC, though of course nowhere as devastating as an Explorator.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EclecticTastes posted:

From my read of the Rogue Trader core rules, Seneschals basically seem like just Accountants in Space, so I assume they're the overworked and underappreciated workhorses that not only keep everything running, but usually do half of everyone else's jobs when they gently caress up, and are fueled primarily by rage and coffee.

They can certainly start out that way, but any good Seneschal would soon graduate to having other people gently caress up and take the blame for them. Also remember that they're usually the ones who handle the Dynasty's finances, making them the shadows behind the throne, so to speak. And coffee? Like a peasant? If you're not humbling anyone apart from the God-Emperor and the High Lords with a single glass from your cellar, can you truly consider yourself part of a Trader Dynasty?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think you mean 'no Squats yet'- if this sells well (Emperor willing) then we might get expansion packs and such, so maybe some of them might have Squats? Also, IIRC there are rules and such for having Tau and Kroot in the Expanse (Warp Shenaigans™, nobody gotta explain poo poo), so who knows, we might get the grayfaces and their servants too?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There is also the possibility that you don't go full heretic- just declaring your independence from the Imperium proper might do (granted, that is very often the first step to actual heresy). In such a case, you might lose the Spehss Marehn and Sororitas, but the Eldar might stay with you, especially if the xenos get to use your colony/colonies for their own inscrutable purposes*.

*For example, the great Eldar hero Eldrad Ulthran is responsible for the Second and Third Wars for Armageddon, conflicts that have claimed millions of Imperial lives, just to save a few thousand Eldar. As far as he's concerned, it was well worth it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the comic Deff Skwadron might be a good fit, since it's just a bunch of Orks having fun krumping other Orks. But yeah, other than that it's pretty much like Bloody Hedgehog said, as grimdark stuff, space politics, and military fiction are what 40K is.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lassitude posted:

For xenos companions you also have t'au and kroot as reasonable candidates. Orks are constantly shedding spores everywhere that give rise to new ork armies so they'd probably be about as tolerated as a Chaos companion.

If Owlcat includes a Tau companion at any point and make them romanceable I will absolutely lose my poo poo at all the neckbeards losing their poo poo :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

Dark Heresy sounds like it's 90% role play being a civilian in a future hell world, 10% dice rolling.

Pretty much, and even on the dicerolling it's less 'optimizing my character' and more 'using the environment and surprise to my advantage'. Seriously, one of the biggest paradigm shifts for someone used to other roleplaying games is that while your character's stats do matter, the environment you engineer and tactics they present are worth far, far more. If you're in a fair fight of any kind, something's gone wrong somewhere.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder if this game's actually going to have romance in it because that's so rare in 40k as to be almost non-existent.

I wouldn't say it's rare, just that it's almost never the focus. The Ciaphas Cain books have both a straight and a lesbian couple, and those relationships seem to be strong, and that's not counting the strong relationship Cain has with Amberly (albeit with the constant specter of their power differences). Eisenhorn and his Acolyte Alizabeth Bequin are deeply in love with each other, though is is... somewhat complicated by the fact that he's a psyker and she's a Blank. There's a romance between a Navigator and regular human in the friggin' Night Lords books that has a happy ending. I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Oh wow that's cool I wonder-

quote:

unsanctioned psyker

:blastu:

EDIT (re: Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau):

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 24, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just want a potential Kroot ally. They were always one of the most interesting things in 40k and having one friendly would be fantastic.

Kroot mercs are a playable NPC in the TTRPG, and they have one of the strongest traits in the game (IMHO), in that they can substitute your group's Profit Factor (basically, how much money you're making) for their Willpower stat. For those of you who don't know, WP is the stat that determines things like resisting fear and corruption, so if you're rich enough it's mechanically possible for a Kroot merc to stand in the Eye of Terror and give Khorne both fingers without breaking a sweat :allears:

papasyhotcakes posted:

Even Malcador suggested to the Emperor that the primarchs should have been women. The emperor thought he was joking. He wasn't.

One one hand, Malcador was right. On the other hand:

I have more.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 24, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I do hope Newcrons make an appearance though- I've never really found the Oldcrons to be engaging beyond their first impression, and having independent Lords running about mans that there's room for shenanigans setting them against each other.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

It's... different from how WH40K is typically represented, that's interesting - I do hope that the bleak satire isn't left out, though.

I don't think it will be, if it's anywhere near to how Rogue Traders are usually presented, honestly- after all, you not just the 1% of the Imperium's 1%, you're also a space-conquistador. Think to all the excesses of colonialism, then realize that you're not only encouraged to turn all that to 11, you're expected to. Indeed, it is a sacred duty (and I'm not speaking figuratively here).

Randallteal posted:

The peons are still just terminators I think. The leadership caste are the space pharoahs. TBH I just don't think Necrons needed a backstory or motivations. The less you know about them the cooler/scarier they are. Gotta fill up those books with something though I guess.

Newcrons gave us The Infinite and The Divine (a.k.a. Orikan and Trazyn's Excellent Adventure) and I'll have nothing said against them :colbert:

EDIT: Spoilers for the book below.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 13, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Preechr posted:

From one of my group’s Rogue Trader sessions:
Psyker: Isn’t this entire endeavor completely hosed? We just orbitally bombarded the largest city on this feudal world out of existence!
Navigator: And tomorrow, we’ll visit the largest city remaining on this planet. And the next day, we’ll visit the largest city on this planet. And we’ll keep on visiting the largest city on this planet, day after day, until there are no more cities, or until they give us what we want.

:allears: That is loving perfect Rogue Trading; every one of you deserves a Crux Imperialis!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GRRR HISSS :commissar:

Seriouspost: I do wonder how many companions we'd be travelling with if we go full Puritan- first there's the unsanctioned psyker (who I honestly consider to be the biggest threat, narrative-wise), and now a xeno, so there's two companions I'm probably going to have to shoot sooner or later. Hopefully there's a create-your-own-party option like in their Pathfinder games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BrotherJayne posted:

Uh, are Puritan Rogue Traders even a thing?

Wouldn't you just be a freight baron at that point?

Yeah, it's entirely possible to be a Puritan Rogue Trader while still doing Rogue Trader-y stuff. It just puts more emphasis on the whole 'Colonialism HO!' aspect of the business, and less on 'harems of nubile xenos' bit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nephthys posted:

Given how cartoonishly xenophobic the Imperium is, I'm curious about why any xenos would even want to travel with a Rogue Trader.

Besides the fact that Traders usually operate far from Imperial influence and strength as previously mentioned, there's the fact that for the Eldar, a race so steeped in arrogance and prophecy, the powerful men and women that make up Rogue Traders are often ideal patsies for their plans. They're super-rich, have ships that would beggar planetary economies, and are often driven far more by rapacious ambition than by good sense and/or survival instincts. What good manipulator would pass on the chance to have such toys at their disposal?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LashLightning posted:

The Rogue Trader has one or two not-insignificantly armed and armoured space ship(s), crewed by generations of gang-pressed people who haven't left the vessel nor are likely ever to.

Ahah, this reminds me of the time I played the tabletop RPG, and my RT party had to arrange a marriage between the feuding families of the crew who ran our ship's broadsides, and then provide security to the Nova Cannon's enginseers, who were worried about the growing power of the now united broadside families :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirFozzie posted:

They're teasing... something for tommorrow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/yx1dkm/we_heard_a_rumour_that_if_you_are_a_rogue_trader/

Probably a full fledged trailer and/or an announcement of an alpha timeframe

I can't believe I'm getting hyped about a video game announcement at the age of nearly 40 in the year of our Emperor two thousand and twenty-two, but here I loving am :smithicide:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They better let us romance the Navigatrix is all I'm saying :unsmigghh:

EDIT: I admit, I'm wondering how powerful they made psychic powers though- on one hand having a space wizard is always handy (and they did showcase it in the trailer), but on the other gently caress relying on an unsanctioned psyker :commissar:

Anno posted:

Looks good. Is the Screamer new?

I don't think so- it might have been statted out in one of the RT bestiaries, but it's been a while since I cracked them open. I know they were statted out in Black Crusade though.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 17, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YESSSSS

I can hear the anguished screams of the Paternova from here :twisted:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, is it possible to play as a psyker Rogue Trader or is that off-limits in the PnP material?

Warden posted:

There's pretty much a zero chance of that.

Yeah, this. Most psykers are taken by the Black Ships to be sanctioned, and most of those who escape sanctioning usually either have powerful patrons to keep them safe from the big =I='s attention, or keep pretty much to themselves. There's certainly no almost practical way that a psyker of any kind would be allowed to take the reins of something as powerful as a Rogue Trader ship, even sanctioned ones- it's hard enough trying to stop a regular mortal who's gone full-on heretic with that kind of power, giving it to someone who hears the whispers of the Warp every time they close their eyes is just throwing money into a bonfire. Even Inquisitors-turned-Rogue Traders would very likely be mortals; after all, considering all the problems I've just listed, not even the Inquisition would be crazy enough to give the Warrant to someone with Inquisitorial experience and psychic powers.

Warden posted:

Well, there's a precedent for regular human romancing and knocking up a Navigator in the Night Lords trilogy.

Oh right, I forgot about that! Man, I should probably feel pretty bad about reducing the Navigator gene pool like that, but Rogue Traders probably pay people to feel bad for them, so it's okay!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

Don't rule out 100% grimdark romance.

It'd depend on your definition of grimdark- it is my strongly-held opinion that watching a traitor planet burn in nuclear fire, while holding hands with your Sororitas waifu, is neither grim nor dark in both the figurative and literal senses :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anno posted:

Went to look at the new Steam page to see if there was anything otherwise new, and man the content warning sure is something lol

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Koth posted:

On the RT side, actually reading through their listed articles makes it look like the next companion introduced is going to be an Inquisitor. The newest article is "How to: Inquisition" and similar articles ("How to: Warp Travel", "How to: Imperial Creed" and "Nature of the Aeldari") have immediately preceded the reveals of Cassia, Sister Argenta and Yrliet. Plus, you know, ending with a mention of an Interrogator of Holy Ordos boarding the ship.

I don't think an Inquisitor would be a companion, they're too powerful for that. Having an Interrogator seconded to a Rogue Trader though? That sounds perfectly possible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh gently caress, I'm a dumbass- it's also possible that the Inquisitor might be an important NPC, like Hilor was in Wrath- someone you can get respecs and generics from. Inquisitorial Acolytes would be good for skilled-yet-expendable fodder, after all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

It's also worth noting the only reason things ended as well as they did for the Wolves was that one of the original OG Space Wolves, Bjorn who personally knew the Emperor, was woken up and put into his Dreadnought because even the Inquisition would hesitate to attack him.

Eh, that's one big reason to be sure, but the other reason has to do with that authority you mentioned. Technically, an Inquisitor of any rank does have the power to order anyone short of the First Founding Chapters, High Lords and God-Emperor around, but practically, that power is a lot more fluid. Sure, a newly-minted Inquisitor can attempt to order the captain of an Imperial warship around, but unless that Inquisitor has resources outside a bunch of fresh-faced Acolytes, they're going to suffer an unfortunate 'accident' sooner or later. An Inquisitor Lord accompanied by veteran Acolytes, and who regularly plays regicide with the local Segmentum Battlefleet admiral on the other hand, is going to get a warmer reception to their orders- sorry, 'polite requests'.

All this is to say that I have no doubt that the Inquisition would have willingly done a whole lot more damage to the Wolves had Bjorn not been there, the reactions from the other First Founding chapters be damned. Especially since the Wolves don't have any known Successor Chapters to their name, nor a lot of political power or acumen (compare and contrast to the Ultramarines, who have all three in spades).

This is also why most Inquisitors tend to play things safe with Rogue Traders, as RTs and their retinues are some of the few people who might have the ability to take on an Inquisitor and their retinue one-on-one. Furthermore, unlike Inquisitors, RTs are used to handling things by themselves away from any kind of Imperial support, which is the exact opposite of how the Inquisition operates. An RT onboard their ship is the master of a massive domain with the size, population and military power of a small city, while an Inquisitor is just a dude*.

*EDIT: Not that a lone Inquisitor isn't a badass, let's be clear- after all, becoming an Inquisitor by definition means that you're not just a badass, but a badass several times over. It's just that a lot of an Inquisitor's power is derived from the Imperium's institutions and their soft power within those institutions, while a Rogue Trader has a lot of hard power that extends absolutely, but only as far as their voidship, and not much further.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 17, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warden posted:

Also, basically all Dark Angels successors ("the Unforgiven") are secretly under the chain of command of their progenitor and will come if called.

The Ultramarines, for all their talk of Codex compliance, are also suspiciously close to their Successors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warmachine posted:

I would imagine any Chaos route would probably look like the Lich route from WotR.

Or Swarm, though I suppose Lich would be closer, yeah.

That said, I don't think they'd go down the routes of individual Chaos Gods, at least to start with. Maybe something for an expansion pack, or Black Crusade :unsmigghh: