Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I am in Chapter 4 on my first playthrough and it looks like I've finally managed to hit a softlock bug (doing Jae's quest disables the only exit from the bar) so I guess it's time to wait for another patch. Or maybe I could roll back to an earlier save and try resolving the main conflict on the station first, in case the order matters. Other than that I've been enjoying the game even through it has given me the most level-up paralysis in any RPG I've ever played.

If there are a bunch of buffs/debuffs I think the only way is to right click on them and read through the list. For Endure, the buff will actually say the duration is "1 round" so if you activate during an extra turn in round 1 it should fall off at the start of Abelard's full turn in round 2. Testing it now gives me the following:

Round 1
Give extra turn to Abelard
Abelard extra turn: activates Endure
Abelard full turn: pass (endure still active at end of full turn)

Round 2
Give extra turn to Abelard
Abelard extra turn: pass (endure still active at end of extra turn)
Abelard full turn (endure finally no longer active at start of this turn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finished the game last night after figuring out how to proceed through Chapter 4 to finish all the quests I could find, though apparently I missed whichever location lets me translate the language later on. I can definitely see myself playing this again at some point, though I might try not giving anyone extra turns as a self-imposed challenge because it seriously breaks all late-game difficulty. Argenta is the worst offender because she can seemingly shoot forever and scales so well with gear, but Cassia/Yrliet and to a lesser extent the melee dps can still easily clear most maps within the first couple rounds. Melee suffers a bit from having to spend MPs and also dealing with dodge/parry, and if I don't have Idira along for her debuffs then the melee miss quite a lot; meanwhile ranged just get to ignore dodge and cover outright. Also I never got my boots back so I'd like to correct that.

Speaking of companions I appreciate that each of them can develop different personality paths depending on dialogue choices. Pasqal was very interesting to talk to in particular, by far the hardest to get a read on because his deflections are all cloaked in tech-priest jargon.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's currently a pretty long post-release survey so you can put in some suggestions about stuff you like or dislike, which abilities are overpowered or useless, etc: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4177726963574861662?l=english

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
On one of my early dangerous jumps I got the event where you have to solo defend for a while and I couldn't manage it with my low level officer so I kept everything at least yellow for a while. Eventually I was strong enough to beat the event and from there on it didn't really matter, the other random fights mostly exist as a potential rep grind.

The game doesn't communicate it well but you never need to create new paths since new red paths will spontaneously appear to unreachable systems after finishing some story quests (they're even nearly invisible on the map unless you realize they've appeared).

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It's probably worth explaining the leveling system briefly since the tutorial doesn't tell you much about it.

You pick your first archetype at level 1, and from 1 to 15 you will level up in that archetype. The archetype determines what you can learn at each level. At level 16 you pick a second-tier archetype and level that up until level 35.

Characteristics - Strength, Willpower, etc. You will get 5 characteristic increases between level 1 to level 15, and you may only choose each characteristic at most twice total (and after the second archetype, at most four times). These are pretty straightforward since the archetype already restricts you to characteristics that are useful for it.

Abilities - These are activated hotbar abilities. You will get to learn 2 of these for the archetype (out of a selection of 5). If your character is a psyker or navigator, you get to pick those abilities in place of archetype abilities if you wish.

Skills - Athletics, Lore, etc. These are similar to Characteristics in that you can only pick each skill at most twice. This means for each character you should pick up to two skills for them to specialize in. Most skill checks in the game are made with the highest skill level of anyone in your active party, there are a few places where only the Rogue Trader's skill matters (mostly for Persuasion/Coercion), and very rare instances where a single companion's skill is checked. On missions you should make sure at least Athletics, Tech Use, and Demolitions (and later on Lore Xenos) are covered.

Talents - Passive bonuses. These are divided into Archetype talents, Common talents, and Background talents. When leveling you will get some number of "Talent" level-ups and some other "Common Talent" level-ups. For a generic "Talent" level-up you can pick from any of the three categories, while for "Common Talent" level-ups you can only pick from Common/Background talents. So if there are some archetype talents that you want, then make sure you don't miss your chance to get them. If your character is a psyker then there are also a bunch of "Psi Rating +1" talents that you need to take; those come out of the Background talent pool.

You have three free respecs per character so don't worry too much about messing it up, and it's far more likely for you to end up with an overpowered party than a weak one.