Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Just finished the game without minmaxing my Rogue Trader. Gonna do a new campaign with a down the line Heretic and really pay attention to my build. Any build guides y'all would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Gainsboro posted:

Having just breezed through the game on hard mode, all you need is a soldier/arch-militant, an officer/sanctioned psyker, and Cassia:

Take the obvious on the merc you make to replace Argenta (seriously, if you take her on missions she will interfere with your heretical decisions and you can't stop her).

On the psyker take Sanctic (cast Word of the Emperor and Hammer of the Emperor as often as possible), Telepath (for Pain Channeling and Aftershock), Bring it Down, and Pyro (just for Backdraft). Put everything else into origin perks and Master Tactician. Their primary weapon should be a bolt staff.

Load Cassia up with Navigator powers and talents, only straying to grab Bring it Down, Commanding Voice, and the ridiculous Master Tactician perks.

Also No Respite. Put No Respite on every character that can take it. By the end you should be seeing stupid numbers like these.

Thanks for this. My RT is a Voidborn psyker, I'm having him take Pyro and Telepath and Idira be more of a support character with Sanctic. Early bolt staff seems pretty weak relative to other weapons...am I missing something?

Just killing time until GTFO is an option for Argenta, I made a forge world crime lord soldier to replace her. Longlas rifle at range and chainsword/laspistol up close. Sure-fire plan, Concentrated fire and Run And Gun are working well together. Cassia is a beast and we've only gotten to the Rykia spaceport battles. Just defeated the cult in the warehouse with minimal difficulty.

Looking forward to chasing down the sword shard and becoming my crew's god

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Gainsboro posted:

It's because sanctioned psykers start with psy level 0. Idira will do significantly more damage with it in the early game because she starts at psy level 1, and this tradeoff will become less worth it over time as the sanctioned gains psy levels from feats and gear while Idira maintains a higher chance of exploding.

Yeah, I had my RT using the bolt staff and Idira using a divination staff for Consign.

Does unsanctioned increase the chance of Perils Of The Warp/summoning warp creatures? I had assumed sanctioned and unsanctioned were just story fluff labels.

Gainsboro posted:

Hammer of the Emperor (and its later combo with Press the Advantage) is core to getting those zap numbers up, because the flat damage boost applies to all targets hit by it.

But anyone can cast Hammer, not just the bolt staff user? Also, will I get to keep Heinrix in the party or does he create problems like Argenta?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Griddle of Love posted:

Problems are the spice of life. I'd be somewhat worried about having three psykers, though. Exacerbating the issue, unsanctioned does make perils more likely, that's the tradeoff for the +1 psy rating.

I'm keeping Idira around because I killed her off in my last playthrough. If I'm getting rid of anybody, it'll be Heinrix.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

- The camera is still atrocious though.

It's some iron law of 40k games that they have to terrible third person perspectives. Mechanicus was a little better but still...

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

- too many loving levelups, oh my god. I didn't even bother respeccing anyone the entire game because I dreaded having to go through it again.

I seriously don't understand why we have to go thru that poo poo...'granular' is an understatement. Is it a reflection of the TTRPG?

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

- I thought the combat was a blast because the combat is as broken as you want it to be.

Ancient Plasma Rifle still hasn't been patched and I'm thrilled. Bounty Hunter Pasqal with this is loving awesome.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Has anyone taken the Psychic Awakening skill as an Exemplar? If so, how'd you build it?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

pentyne posted:

The DLC packs are supposed to be 2 massive core game updates, hopefully filling out that 50% of the map that is empty with new places to explore especially for Act 4 tier stuff.

Where are you seeing reports/rumors/etc. about the DLC?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Mostly Lurking posted:

I'm in chapter four of my second playthrough. My first run I ran into a bug during a companion quest but I luckily had a save that I used to backtrack and, in the end, didn't seem to affect much other than 15 minutes. Just now I got ~2800 more profit factor when I was doing the territory management. I wasn't doing anything crazy and everything else seemed in order, so it was just odd all of a sudden I get a messed up amount of resources. Fun stuff.

If it's the same bug I ran into, it has something to do with the amount of people you have. The game suddenly starting giving me a big bonus because people were very rare in the Expanse they weren't actually.

You can mouse over your Profit Factor and it should tell you what's causing it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Aramoro posted:

That's because the combat zones mechanism is completely pointless. About halfway though the game I stopped using most of the abilities in the game. There's an incredibly complex system in there that just doesn't really work unless you're very disciplined in pushing all your buttons.

I tried exactly one GS character. After one combat I reverted to an earlier save. gently caress if I'm going to be moving zones around and pressing button after button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

pentyne posted:

You can sometimes spend cargo per encounter to equip your ship troops and resolve it that way but there's no real benefit besides time saved and you lose cargo which you pretty much need every scrap of.

One of the best parts of my Heretic playthrough was keeping one of the Forge Fiends from Kiava Gamma. It gives an option in warp encounters where the Fiend just kills them all. No battle no nothing.

Saved tons of Navigator insight after that.