Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Hopefully, they roll out the alpha relatively soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

If they stick too closely to the pnp rules the character builds are going insane, like clearing an entire room in a single turn insane.

I read the deep dive explanation into RT ruleset, and the original penalties for pyskers using their powers depended a lot on a GM deciding what bad thing happens. In fact, a lot of the criticism of the rules as written were about arbitrary GM decisions and how a lot of it was basically meaningless % increases to your "wealth" status.

This really needs to be the game where they dial back the rear end in a top hat GM design ideas. Melee combat seems like it's killed or be killed in a single round and ranged weapons can include anti tank weapons that per the damage stats can kill almost anything human sized per round.

So you are saying we could play literal rocket tag.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Presumably a companion or major NPC.

https://owlcat.games/news/72
So the one who will whine about the logistics of making a ship solely out of guns.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Anno posted:

Idk I feel like they’ve emphasized your trade empire enough that there’s no way there isn’t some mini game built around it.

The minigame is actually 3d version of battleship with rpg/progression elements

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The theme is pretty good, but a bit different than I expected

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

And of course, the reply to finding the first female character (I think) is "WAIFU FOUND!"

This is the 3d one they have showcased

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

It’s an Owlcat game; halfway through still leaves several normal games worth of playtime to get through.

Actually, is there a sign of how long it will be? The last two games benefitted from having entire published campaigns to build from, so I don’t know how much extra legwork will be needed here. Unless this game ends up encompassing a huge chunk of already published Rogue Trader material and they’ve just been keeping it on the down-low, of course.

If the 100 GB of min requirements in the steam page are any indication of game size and not just a random filler number of everything being uncompressed, it will be pretty big.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where's the info about the system? Cause the old Rogue Trader rpg is out of print since the rpg licence changed hands since. And Wrath and Glory is a better game than Rogue Trader imho.

Early info during the announcement. D100 Fantasy Flight Rogue trader, not a strict conversion.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Some Alpha footage here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxY8asSigdM

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I guess the article on the Dark Elder was leading to this.
Seems to be a recurring midboss rather than a companion.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1605896022881959936

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Judging from the Alpha and some things people have found out, everything that can go wrong and gently caress with you happens. So yeah, Orcs will attack at some point.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Why are those significant?

Commorragh is the Dark Eldar capital essentially, which means that poo poo keeps hitting the fan in the game

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Announcement about future reveal, maybe.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3700314962470150861
Possible hint
https://steamdb.info/app/2412890/

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Oh doesn't the Beta unlock today

One more day.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

should put it off and instead try to get back to it when the full game releases + 6 months

Trust me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I think it all depends on one's tolerance for the setting, honestly- I've restarted this about 4 times now, and I can definitely see myself doing further playthroughs. For those of you who played through and finished the WotR beta, did Owlcat slowly patch in the rest of the game (I understand that they didn't put in everything when that beta first came out)? Or did they just continually refine the bit of game that they did release?

Mostly fixing things and adding Textures (Top level of Alushynira in chapter 4 was just polygons)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Do we know who the writers are for this game?

I really loved the writing in Wrath of the Righteous but found Kingsmaker to be very boring, an I'm curious if the writing staff on this game is the latter or the former.

Kingmaker and Wrath had all the same writers, pretty sure(maybe a couple additions).

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Not according to the credits. There's some overlap but a big chunk of people are different.

Kingmaker:

Wrath:

It's a bit misleading. Avellone for example, did mostly editing work rather than character and quest writing. And he did that to an extent for wrath too (he is in the game credits, but if you remember, there were the allegations he got hit with that he got an apology for back in march so he was featured less prominently).
The official discord had the writers interacting a bit more and explaining what they wrote. The people who wrote the actual meat of the game (characters, quests and mythic paths) are pretty much the same. People who visited the discord more frequently would be able to tell you who wrote what exactly too.
What I remember is that Nika(who is the lady with the green stripe in her hair if I remember correctly) was the one wrote the tiefling twins, Jubilost (and his personal quest, aka the debates), Jaethal and Regill among others.
Thainen wrote Harrim(and he wrote a thesis on Suzumiya Haruhi once apparently).

Granted, change of editing policy, APO material and perhaps even attitude once they started doing a second game may have more impact than I can spot (wrath is certainly more bombastic and bit a more verbose in character interactions).

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Trailer with companions.
Peopel who played alpha/beta know most of the details, plus they hint the Deldar.
HOWEVER, two inetersting points.
Unknown . You just know.

Also, we get co-op on PC. Wonder how the gently caress that will work

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I really hope they weren't pressured into bolting on co-op because of BG3. It's absurdly janky in that game, and I don't see how it'd be satisfying here.

DOS 2 had co-op
Even BG2 had it. I guess they finally feel they can implement it without it blowing up your pc, your printer and your router.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Release date is December 7th. That's a lot sooner than I thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DfyGpQlMk

Matches up roughly with the alpha/beta/full release schedules of wrath. but the earliest possible date. I expected it closer to February. We''ll see if I have teh will to let it be for a month or two to get to a basic big patch.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

I’m guessing this game is majority text with VO reserved for choice scenes as with their other games?

And battle cries, yeah.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

Imperial World
Talents
- Doing my Part: if no other party member is from Imperial World, first use of archetype abilities cost 1AP less
- Stronger Together: All allies except xenos gain a +5 bonus to the Humanity's Finest selection

Sorry xenos, I need a supercharged party

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

Can't find any news on the mercenary system past a few scattered reddit posts, looks like it's currently just the same options as the player character, nothing special or exotic. The system is also bugged as well turning out mercs with 3AP and unlimited movement.

Meanwhile Owlcat is trying to drum up sales for their Collector's Edition with the statue, it looks cool but $200+ for an 8 inch statue is Japanese PVC figurine level prices. For those you expect it to be literally perfect, and Owlcat does not have a good track record with that kind of thing.

My head says ' wait at least till spring', my body needs it's crpg fix. Don't worry, I submit reports so stuff may be fixed 2 years down the road.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

the class I picked straight up didn't work and I had to start over and pick a different one after 10 hours

Mounted class, incense huffer or perhaps arcanist archetype beyond the standard one?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Having no experience with the system, what's a good starting MC build? Not necessarily for OPness but someone that doesn't overlap with the companions.

Like in the Pathfinder games I can take a quick glance at the companions and see what classes they are and fill in the gaps without digging into their details and running into spoilers but I don't know what to look at without digging into theory crafting and running spoiler risk.

I just don't want to create an MC and realize there's a companion that does the same thing.
This does not work that well for this game, cause birth world , origin and archetype are all very important for character creation (especially the later 2). and the archetype splits after lv 16.
And some companions have unique talents not accessible to you anyway.
Finally, with just 4 starter archetypes and 6 tier 2ones, there will be SOME overlap in that regard.
For example, if you wanted to make a full PEWPEWPEW character (like say Fortress World, Imperial Guard, Solder/Marksman), keeping marksman Argenta in the team to shoot things would still liy be optimal (you become Bounty Hunter and she goes arch militant later on).

Still, if you wanted an archetype not covered as much and that companions may not want to focus on, you'd probably pick Officer/Leader(Cassia as your navigator can focus more on unique navigator talents for example, so she would still have place in your team)..

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 29, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, from the beta AoE weapons were still effective for low BS characters, though I do think that importance might fall with the addition of all the new talents and abilities that Operative and Leader-type characters lacked before.

Also, with the reveal that Psyker attacks count as weapon attacks, I'm thinking of rolling a Psyker Marksman- being able to use my powers twice a turn with Run & Gun is sure to lead to *~*~FUN TIMES~*~*:unsmigghh:

EDIT: I've just realized that after watching this video, a Psyker Marksman who goes Arch-Militant can use their powers up to three times every other turn, and that's not counting the absolute carnage they can perform using their own Marksman Heroic Act (from what Slandered could tell, the AM is the only class that has the chance to use two Heroic Acts a turn). Tzeentch will absolutely be pleased :supaburn:

As long as you do not break the veil by yourself every turn

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Small update for the era of the game via discord.
Beta dates are apparently irrelevant or outdated.

Cicatrix Maledictum is already in place

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Zephro posted:

You know, sometimes I just kinda want to hang out in Generic Fantasyland and kill the BBEG.

Someone should really make another Icewind Dale game.

I'd buy an enhanced Temple of Elemental Evil with some good mods implemented in a heartbeat, really.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

After Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, I think I'll give this one a year to be actually playable from start to finish. As I recall, Owlcat's previous games also came out to rave reviews, despite being barely playable past the first few hours. Given the studio's shady behavior up to this point (releasing what could be generously called a beta, claiming it's complete, and then "re-releasing" it as an "enhanced edition" a year later in order to get back on the storefronts' front pages once they fixed all the game-breaking stuff and can actually call it finished without it being an outright lie), I wouldn't be shocked if the beta for RT was deliberately polished up to make sure it looks like "no really we've improved this time trust us bro" and then the whole back half of the game is, as in the last two times this has happened, barely functional. Definitely excited to play it once it's done, though.

Kingmaker critic and steam reviews were not rave, really.
It took like a year for kingmaker to go to mostly positive.
But waiting a year is probably a good choice. First 2 dlc will be out and they will not break too many things.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
One thing I can say confidently is no matter what, the OST slaps.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So what are the basic builds for your protagonist? Just as a general, vague overview for someone new to the system. I'm guessing there's the classic fighter/mage/rogue RPG trinity plus hybrid options, but a touch more detail (and mention of weird builds/classes that exist outside that trinity) would be neat.

I'm thinking of going for the stereotypical dashing, charismatic swashbuckler as my Trader. Leave the brute force and the space magic to my companions while I rely on a combination of quick wits and quicker blades (or pistols, as the case may be).

Generally, you decide on a role you want to do and try to synergize Archetype, origin and Homeworld.
A mass shooter to put Argenta to shame would pick Fortress World , likely Imperial guard and Solder.
A debuffer shooter/sniper who wants to use skills too can go Voidborn , Crime Lord Operative.
A buffer tactician would go Officer, then either Imperial world to boost Fellowship the most with no drawbacks, or perhaps hiveworld to help people next to him. Melee may prefer commissar, while ranged would go noble.
A standard melee build would pick Death or Forge world, Commisar or Navy officer and select Warrior.
Psyker depending on what you focus can work with multiple ideas . A melee pyromance sets hismelf and others on fire up close, a telepath screams and shoot from a distance.

There are of course more specialized builds to try like Priest Melee Death World, Dodgetank Operative Hive hive world Psyker Diviner etc or try to make a true melee/ranged switchhitter Arch Militant.

An easy and extremely effective build that compliments standard party is an Officer build. Pick the companion you like and let him cook. Just raise up your Weapon or Ballistic skill a bit to pepper shots in.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Iymarra posted:

I am stuck in the most terrible indecision (I know respeccing is a thing, but y'know.)
Voidborn.

Psyker-Telepath, Operative, Grand Strategist (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Pyro, Officer, Master Tactician (pros, cons?)
Psyker-Sanctic would be fine but it feels weird to be looking at a hereticus playthrough but screaming about THE EMPEROR'S WILL

Pyro on a non offensive archetype feels off. Minimal synergy with voidborn too. Unless Int counts two times for the grand strategist bonuses. A different psyker focus or criminal would work.

Telepath debuffer and operative works better. That one would possibly be better for Grand Strategist if the INT stacking works

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Emperor's Children are the biggest chumps from the heresy though unless you count the Word Bearers... or the Night Lords... or the iron warriors... or the alpha legion lol.

Horus isn't sending his best, folks.

The Word Bearers Won.
The battle for best theme in this game, at least

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
For Abelard, I took Combat Master to negate melee superiority. I tend to send him first in. I am considering dueling mastery.
I guess Nimble would be good for dodgier characters

Frrom all the weapon related talents, lowering heavy weapon requirement can open a new avenue for certain characters. And it gets further impactful common talents.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Are timers a thing here? Do I need to care about wasting days?

Seems to be solely order of visiting things now

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

How do you actually make a character that takes advantage of Voidborn's Be Smart?
If you're gonna make an INT focused character then picking any class besides Operator seems like a waste, since nobody else has proficiencies with INT Skills, and Operator can't seem to take advantage of Be Smart.
There's a possibility of making an INT Officer but then you're not using your primary stat for your skills so it feels like you're supremely gimping yourself.

Voidborn Int should in theory scale your ability from it instead of fellowship. So you can be a smart boy officer.
>Any time an ability or talent uses the Fellowship bonus, a voidborn character can instead use the Intelligence bonus
Wording is pretty clear.
And Grand Strategist would just scale its abilities from it twice.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

I want to make DPS focused psyker, is Forge World pyromancer psyker operative a good start?

If you go melee, I'd pick warrior.
If you want to be operative melee, maybe more doddgetank, I'd consider telepath/biomancer more.
If you want to sling fire on people from range, I'd pick soldier.

Operatives stacking exploits for big damage hits works better with a sniper or something equivalent, pyromancer mostly shits out instant damage and damage over time around him with everything he does on top of his normal hits

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

This turn of events has convinced me that this Emperor fuckin' sucks and I'm going full-on heretic from here on out :colbert:

Well yeah, a heretic would sympathize with somebody getting drunk and summonging demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game really wants me to flirt with Cassia but the only thing I want out of her is to make enemies adjacent to my Thunder Hammer run away so I get free opportunity attacks

Flag progression is bugged apaprently