Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
So I've started the game, had a few false starts, and am now slogging through act 1. Slogging because I suspect that my Deathworlder Crime Lord Iconoclast Warrior is hopelessly poorly optimized.

Act I spoilers

I've been working my way through the first system and I think I may have made horrible choices about the order to do things. I responded to the Penal Colony distress call first, on the principal it was an active distress call and not just radio silence like the Navigator station. Last fight was a little challenging but after a few attempts I worked out a strategy.

I've headed to the the system capital and the fights are just a mess. It's long open boulevards which sucks for a party with two melee combatants, plus they have snipers in that fight by the anti-air system and the best we have are some nice las-rifles from the prison colony and Argenta's Bolter. I have a Hireling officer and mostly she just gives extra shots to Idira and Argenta.

Should I have gone the Navigator station before the Capital,

On the plus side the Deathworld warrior is making a good dodge tank once he gets his buffs up and going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

So what is a good Origin for an Officer? Is Noble the superior choice or are there other origins that plays well into it as well?

Noble or Psyker. Ministorum only if you want to be in close quarters with melta, flamer, or melee. Crime Lord is awesome for a hands on killer but not good for an officer.

Naval, Comissar, and Militarum are not great origins; all their stuff works on their once a combat one off ability, then is useless. Ministorum also have a one off but can get some awesome passives. Crime Lords can regenerate the Surefire plan ability through the various upgrades making them very good throughout a combat. Nobles can keep boosting their servant through the fight. Psykers just their own thing.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Flirting Protocols on Pascal

LOL

No one is allowed to call Filtering Protocols anything but this.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

emSparkly posted:

For this machine ritual, I don my robe and wizard hat

Tips hat

M'Toaster

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I wish Homeworld/Origin had some more reactivity. Playing as Voidborn is wild when your High Factotum reminisces about hunting and killing Voidborn for sport, to your face. And there is no option to space him because the game doesn't have homeworld checks for dialogue.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What is the benefit supposed to be to traveling a yellow/unsafe route over and orange/dangerous one?

If you make a jump on the unsafe route you take hull damage that consumes some of your finite scrap. If you take a jump on an orange route your hull still gets damaged but you might get a combat encounter out of it, and accompanying cargo and xp. Is there any point in upgrading routes to yellow if you aren't taking them to green? Are there any actual good events that can get you scrap?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

No but you should be drowning in scrap in general, where is it all going?

Yellow routes are way less likely to cause major damage, plus you get the occasional event where if you trust the navigator you get 2 insight.

Getting my ship smashed up in every battle? Losing 6-7 hull on every warp jump while I backtrack trying to find a path to the next plot planet?
Edit: It took me awhile to realize that I could get enough Relations with the naval supplier by choosing the right high priest for Foulstone. Trying to fight space battles with the equipment you start with is nuts.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2024

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

RedSky posted:

I found that all my void trophies were going to my inventory, not the cargo section so maybe you have some void trophies lying around to give the naval guy.

I'll probably take a break from the game given how bad my act 3 worked out - but it's a good game, I'm just not up for that specific example of owlcat magic.

I worked that out. Eventually. The Act 2 learning curve is really rough. Part of me wants to keep with it, part of me wants to wait 6 months to see if the kinks get worked out.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Did all the animations for hammers and other bludgeons get cut in the last patch? They've stopped playing a little while back.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What advanced classes work well for Idira, Pascal or Yrliet?

Pascal can't use some of the active Assassin abilities at range because they don't have off-hand versions. Idira only occasionally uses a weapon so Assassin seems a bit of a waste for her. I was thinking Assasin Yrliet, Bounty Hunter Pascal, and Grand Strategist Idira. Idira has terrible stats for a grand strategist but getting her buffs and debuffs out before a fight starts is useful, particularly when there is a boss to keep Sensory Deprivation on. I could see swapping Idira and Pascal though, Pascal at least has the Intelligence to be a Grand Strategist, but his buffs and debuffs don't seem as useful.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone know what triggers the master of munitions losing their poo poo after the prologue? It is a free 3 alignment points that you just don't get occasionally. I'm thinking it is possibly due to your background but I'm not sure.

Illustrious Glory has Hime keep his cool. Feat of Greatness gets you 3 alignment points. Not sure about Apex of Brilliance, haven't used that in character generation yet.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Huh. I might just have been blind and didn't notice the path.

The red paths are incredibly faint on the map when you aren't in the system that has the path. I've missed Red paths and blazed new routes on two seperate occasion in one playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
My Warrior/Arch-Militant was terrifyingly good at carving up enemies. Better than Ulfar. With Argenta it was situational whether the Warrior/AM could outdo her Heavy bolter.

Don't sleep on melee characters as long as you have Yrliet or someone else with long reach to eliminate hard to get to enemies.