Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zeniel posted:

Why were they removed in the first place?

They were just 'space dwarves' and their models were really unpopular so they just stopped making new ones and did a throw-away line in the lore about the Tyrannids eating their homeworld to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the joke with Ciaphas Cain is that he is legitimately heroic and skilled, he just has a horrible case of imposter syndrome and internalized some dumb ideas about how people handle fear.

Much like Flashman who he's partially based on he's supposed to be a parody of the character type. Its just the character he's supposed to be parodying is the Imperial Commissar, aka the lovely dudes who shoot dissenters, are always incompetent and mostly make life hell for anyone who crosses their path because they're always sure they're right. So instead he's a chronically anxious wreck who's exceeding nice to people, good at his job without murdering people and terrified one day his whole life is gonna burn down. And in the process becomes insanely popular, powerful and wealthy without ever really internalizing it.

The narrative is about his long term girlfriend editing his memoirs and basically continually calling him a dumbass in footnotes and just generally being fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean, Caiphas Cain gets laid quite a bit and the books framing device is by his long term girlfriend who confirms they definitely were banging for like a hundred years off and on. And you have more explicit romance and sex stuff in the Eisenhorn series.

Its not in most books but its not entirely absent either even if they shy away from explicit sex scenes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Still think its bullshit we didn't get a Freeboota companion but someone got stuck with an even more party-unfriendly Dark Eldar.

Owlcat are coward :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
How effective would doing a Caiphas Cain Chainsword+Las Pistol and huge on leadership and social skills be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

that must be a bug, it's counter to literally everything they designed that class for

No its definitely a deliberate thing you can pick with your perks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

are there any classes or roles that aren't found in the party members? that is, is there a player class that doesn't double up?

Not really? I think the closest you can get is that there is no Pyromancer Psyker companion though you absolutely can eventually spec companions into it.

Being an Officer is good choice if you want semi-unique utility because they are the big OP base class and the only early officer you get also has a bunch of strong unique mechanics you can lean into for her to be wildly different.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What's a PF? I haven't talked to that one NPC since I first got to my bridge

Profit Factor, essentially how insanely wealthy you are. Buying most things doesn't actually cost any resources, it just requires a certain level of profit facyot. It also plays in to things like colony upgrade requirements etc.

You can spend/lose it in events or by respecing/creating mercs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

in the setting sometimes when ships enter the warp they don't exit it until like a thousand years have passed in non-warp time. Sometimes they exit the warp before they've left it. some weird poo poo happens in the warp

My favorite is when an Ork warboss ended up popping out of the warp right on top of... his own ship that was about to go on that trip. Naturally he killed his past self so he could get two of his favorite gun and managed to almost double the size of his Waaaagh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

emSparkly posted:

Can’t you just respec everyone for free? That’s probably gonna be a lifesaver soon when I realize my whole party sucks because I have no idea what abilities I was taking for the past 10 levels.

You get 3 free respecs in the base games and then it starts scaling in cost absolutely punishingly and doing it more than a few times after that means never being able to get any of the top tier stuff from shops.

Toybox has a free respec feature built in so I would suggest just grabbing that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I ought to have realized the Navigator would be a party member - I figured I'd give it a pass because it's not like I needed to warp out of the system yet and navigators just do their own thing on the ship in the lore, I'd thought :eng99:

Speaking of Argenta, is it normal for the hit percents on burst fire to just be total rear end? The first time I tried the first fight I positioned her to have 4 enemies in the line of fire; none were higher than 35%, every shot missed, and she got her rear end knocked flat out before any of the rest of my party got a turn at all. (Ditto the next go-round when Adelbard had the first turn; attacking one then charging another got him pulped right through Endure and everything else)

Her initial gun is like the single worst in the game for burst fire, recoil as a stat is just flatly subtracted from your hit rate and it has 40. Just give her a Longlas or Sniper Rifle for now and a better bolter/heavy bolter when you get them later, by level 15 or so she will be death incarnate with rapid fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mulva posted:

You're a Rogue Trader, you take over the places you visit so you can profit off them. You are only loving yourself.

Realistically you're loving over your descendants and really they should be able to deal with a Waaagh. Builds character.