Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lord Koth posted:

I would toss Farseer in here as well. Written by William King, of the original Gotrek/Felix books, it actually focuses on an extremely down-on-his luck Rogue Trader who suddenly finds himself dealing with an Ulthwe Farseer and their bodyguard. It's a pretty decent look at both a struggling Rogue Trader (which I imagine we'll start as... possibly not this bad though) as well as just how labyrinthine the plans of the Eldar can get. This one slightly unfortunate aspect in that it's not a complete story, as it was supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, but I feel it stands quite well on its own - you'll just never get to see the repercussions and fallout of the events happening in the climax.

Relatedly, though I'm unfamiliar with them, I'd toss in Andy Hoare's Rogue Trader series - consisting of Rogue Star and Star of Damocles (an omnibus release adds in Savage Scars as well) - which more conventionally cover a Rogue Trader house operating in area the Tau are starting to expand into. This, while still covering the exploration aspect, does also get more into the Imperial politicking the houses deal with.

And I'd add to this Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Betrayer, because although a lot of people here are highlighting the '40k can be fun when you don't take it seriously', this book's by far my favorite because it does the opposite and explores the relationships of a group that until then was largely considered mindless berserkers. There's fighting, sure, but effectively all the meat of the story is watching what's basically a broken family try to hold together and break themselves more because of that desperate attempt to understand each other. First 40k book that really introduced me to the setting too; first I read was Nemesis, but... I would not read that for a first book.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU