Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like there are a few legitimately well written stories in the setting, and there are the occasional bits of depth here or there. I always find it amusing that the entirety of the Horus Heresy kicks off primarily because the Emperor gives Lorgar poo poo for worshiping him as a god. That's it, that's the actual starting point of it all. And after everything is over and it all shakes out after the heresy? The secular humanism of the Imperial Truth is put away and the Emperor is worshiped as a god, while the religion formed around that idea is based on the writings of......Lorgar, first traitor Primarch. All that fighting to end up back where we started.

So they have a large cast of characters, many of them interesting, and the setting does things you can go deep on.....but you also just has some silly poo poo. Or some times they get a bit tryhard and go too grim. Because it's been like decades and they've done a whole lot with the setting over the years. I would say the current GW is "Mostly good I guess, certainly trending on the right side of things". AoS is good, and the new HH seems good, and 9 is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As orks are as said a fungus I imagine "Badly". There's a reason the answer to "Orks are on the planet!" is often "Well, time to destroy that planet.". It's not just Imperial brutality, once orks show up you are probably infected with ork spores forever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Of all the problems it has, and there are many, the main one would be pretending the Emperor isn't a giant loving loser that caused the whole mess through incompetence.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
For a certain type of Rogue Trader your freebooter companion causing an infestation on a planet that could use your help removing it is a bonus feature, not a detriment to his company.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

mechanically an unsanctioned psyker can put a lot more muscle behind their psychic powers than sanctioned ones

That's entirely wrong. Sanctioned psykers are soul-bound to the Emperor, and it gives them a bit of a cushion. It allows them to go further than unsanctioned ones, who are universally just the worst. Sanctioned psykers are the best of the best on top of that, because if you are just average they feed your soul to the Emperor. You are too much of a risk not to. So to be sanctioned is to be exceptional, and then there are degrees on top of that. A Primaris Psyker is the type of dude that can just drop a detachment with a mind-storm. An alpha psyker can just control an army or blow up a spaceship with their mind.

And most sanctioned psykers are totally sane [Ish, for their setting] because if they weren't they couldn't do their massively loving important jobs and everyone would die. They can seem a bit weird because they are denied the luxury of ignorance, and know intimately just how wrong things could go in an instant. If they slip up for a moment, a planet could fall. It makes it hard to crack jokes with the boys, who are probably all terrified of you on top of that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Basically he was an extremist psycho that played murder Batman for most of his life, which was the closest thing to liking something he ever got. Between growing up on a crime ridden shithole and constantly having visions of his own death? Life was not a fun time for him. In the end he allows the assassin to kill him because it's vindication. He dies as he lived, just on the other side of the equation. That doesn't change that it's showing what he did to be necessary. Sometimes you just need to get rid of a threat, and a shadowy figure striking criminals down is all the legacy he needs. Mostly he's just done, as he hates the monsters his legion has become, never cared much about Chaos, and his super power is seeing the worst possible thing that can happen. All the time. Man just wanted to tap out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Space Marines are only exceptional in the lore, and in comparison to some dirt farmer making GBS threads themselves in the boonies at that. Throw some juiced up assassin or a Psyker at them and entire squads get loving exploded. Nobody in a Rogue Trader's retinue is "the help", it's all insane badasses. In comparison a Space Marine is mostly a detriment. He can't even be anything but a giant rear end in a top hat in power armor good at killing things. Conversely anyone on your team can be a giant rear end in a top hat good at killing things, *and* have other skills.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Sounds about right, they have holofields. Makes it hard to tell what you are shooting at. In Rogue Trader, the PnP, it's a flat -40 to the test to hit them for lots of weapons, and really big weapons are still at -20.

This is why you always pack a Nova Canon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They are Abhumans from the Age of Technology that didn't lose their knowledge [mostly] and are largely made up of clones. Descendants of people that boarded generation ships from Terra a very, very long time ago. As a society still holding on to high technology, they both have a lot of true AI and consider them equal members of society. Also they gave the Tau technology, because the Tau are a poo poo race that accomplished nothing of value on their own I guess :shrug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Honestly it's extremely about corruption stuff and yet somehow far more intelligent with it than Blizzard corruption

Because it's not about corruption but extremism. Chaos is not "evil", it just paints in one color. So Khorne wants you to kill and kill and kill, because he is conflict and can't be anything else. Tzeentch needs constant schemes and plots and plans because he's change, and nothing can stay the same. And so forth and so on. That's the whole thing with the Imperium as Thatcher's Britain. It's satire of 'current' extremism by making it even more extreme, so you go "Man isn't this silly and stupid?" and are inspired to look around as it says "Yes, yes this very much is stupid.".

Now of course the setting kind of grew beyond that, but that's what the roots of everything that followed are. Satire of extremism. Chaos is sum total of sentient experience, but any given force in it lacks any complexity. It's just that one drive, forever. The Imperium is what the end of the "Hard people making hard decisions" nonsense leads to, as well as the end state of unchecked belief. God is the State, and God is dead. And you will follow the State in His name, straight into the grave.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been able to talk Abelard down from his fascist dogmatic stance a few times and he at least pretends to see the light of my iconoclastic revelations. Granted he's just some navy officer and not a zealous space marine or sister of battle but it seems like at least some of the companions have a bit of flexibility, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to corrupt companions to heretical. Space marines get corrupted all the time in the lore, right?

......Abelard is the Iconoclast option. Everyone else is generally way more fundamentalist than him. He is, by and large, as nice as it gets.

Also most of the combat in this game is so loving boring, it's just a dozen dudes that can't stand up to an attack running around for three minutes throwing 18 automatic fire shots at me. Either the odds play out normally and they all die having wasted my time, or someone goes down and gets -90000 to all their important stats.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

I never really liked stupid runs in RPGs. Just couldn't get into them. Like the Chaos uprising in Act 1. Good job morons, you accomplished a very photogenic suicide as a I Exterminatus the planet you are on. That'll show me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In a game that includes a Space Marine he may not be the biggest bruiser, but the only ride or die on my team is Abelard. If only because of the man's perfect ability to respond to "Abelard, announce me." as like 30 people are dead and a demon has popped into reality or some such.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Give Argenta 5 Strength.

Give Argenta the Heavy Weapons Talent.

Give Argenta a Heavy Bolter.

Continue to feed Argenta Heavy Weapons Talent upgrades.

Argenta go brrrrrrr and waves of dudes fall over, often dead. Best part is it has way better ammo scaling than regular bolters, so you can go burst way more often. Considering the insane number of extra attacks you can get this actually matters. Is she dropping the biggest numbers? Often not. Is she just making entire directions not fight anymore? Yes she is. She is also, occasionally, dropping the biggest number. I don't know if there is a better named Heavy Bolter down the road, but if there is it's going on her. I'm running into regular bolters with twice the damage, but considering the armor and deflection reduction I get off the heavy it's just not worth using them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Hey.

They aren't all men!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

So, I did a little youtube searching to see what the bosses are like.

The Act 4 boss, Doomscream on Unfair has THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED SIXTY FOUR WOUNDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1AdZY9hd0

When I did that fight my Argenta was regularly doing around 1 to 200 damage a hit. And do about 26 hits an attack. And do about 5 attacks a turn.

What I'm saying is it's not a problem that late in the game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Seriously why does every single conversation with Cass have a "m'lady do you... do you like me???" option

She's a massive loving nerd *and* nobility, this is how it's supposed to go in her world.

Kobal2 posted:

That being said, the standard Heavy Bolter is pretty disappointing in practice, IMO.

The issue is that it's fundamentally easier to get flat damage than flat RoF, and flat damage favors the Heavy. By mid-game you can stack any drat bolter to like 200 damage a shot, and the Heavy will be shooting more and ignoring slightly more armor doing it. In a situation where most of your damage comes from bonuses, having more instances of damage lets you pull ahead. Conversely it's harder to get flat RoF, so the gap between the RoF of a Bolter and the Heavy will never really close. It'll always be about double the number of shots. If you aren't doing double the damage from each shot, the Heavy wins. It doesn't matter that much though, beyond say one incredibly broken gun 99% of people will probably never use [Hi, if you really want the Improved Heavy Bolter give basically everything you can to the pirates as early as you can, namaste.].

It really, truly does not matter though. You can stack the number super high either way if you know what you are doing, and if you don't neither approach is being all it can be. Just have fun. The Heavy approach also lets you use the Heavy Flamer though, and turning an entire direction into a field of flames is really funny to me. Like there are absolutely higher damage flamers, but by God nothing that has that much AoE. Hell if you are putting it on Argenta her Flensing Faith means like half the enemies of the game don't even have good armor against it, eliminating one of the big weaknesses of a flamer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

The thing is, many of those stacking bonuses rely on kills. Revel in Slaughter for instance needs 6 kills to reach its peak. Which is fine when you're going CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA at hordes of gibbering idiots, but on a boss fight with like A Big Dude and 3 Sligthly Less Big Dudes it doesn't really work.

I'm late in the game, so I always have to remember what you can get when. Like some of my gear that feeds into what I'm doing is absolutely based on chapter 3 stuff and later, so that's kind of useless for early build discussion. In GENERAL though?

Fired Up, Rapid Fire, Muzzle Velocity, Overpower...these are all things that don't require mobs to exist and die. Just keep shooting. Breaking point makes the damage of the Heavy Bolter go up 2 all the time and the damage of a regular Bolter effectively go down 2 against boss level mobs, at which point the difference is even less meaningful. With Unpredictable and Overpower alone you are at like 25% Crit Chance early on just for existing. Once Versatility enters the picture, that rises rapidly. Both because you'll have had more time to raise BS naturally, and because it's raising with each stack of Versatility. All of that is pretty early stuff that just negates the raw difference in damage between the two. Versatility starts adding more things that scale, like flat damage, and at this point the only difference between a HB and normal one is one spikes slightly higher numbers and does less overall damage. The only time that the normal bolter is better is in short encounters that don't have a lot of people, and if you ever find one of those it was probably a developer oversight.

Really though it comes down to the fact that a HB crits easier and more often, but there are ways to build the other direction too. It's all roughly the same at any stage of the game if you build for it right. If you don't, stick with a Bolter. It's harder to gently caress up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Warmachine posted:

...so you're saying it is POSSIBLE to get to 96 round bursts in this game?

Where can I learn this power?

It's possible with either really low RoF guns that have burst, or conversely with the Improved Heavy Bolter. Which only has 60 bullets, so it's much more achievable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Welp, played the vast majority of the game and now every time I enter combat it black screens. Love this jank company, hopefully a patch fixes it soon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Well it explicitly says it fixes my issue, but people are saying it breaks saves.

Lets roll some dice!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm also seeing no mention of Argenta getting her power armor, is that late game? I assume since power armor proficiency is a talent it must be a thing you can build towards, just super low dodge but sky high armor & deflection.

Her special power armor is Act 5. Basically nine seconds before the game ends. In theory if you give every single thing to the Tech-Nerds their vendor gives you one other option slightly earlier. To be fair at that point of the game you are getting messages on your power armor that are like "You will block 115% of damage this chapter". And it's like.....ok game, I think I'm good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Having put this to bed I would say it's better than Kingmaker, worse than WotR. Wrath has a strong driving narrative from beginning to end, this is more a disparate mix of events that just sort of ends. Now, some of those events are cool...but it's just not as strong a whole.

All the bugs and poo poo are just Owlcat and kind of irrelevant at this point. In six months this'll be a much better game, but the overall story should be relatively the same.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Caidin posted:

Okay i finally went to that planet Argentia talked up wanting to go in like, I dunno, very late act 4 or something I think and did I miss something, or a lot of something? for a start that was more of an act 2 fight at best, considering the absolute fuckfest fights of the dungeon I had to go through before the system unlocked it was absolutely nothing. Then we don't go in the holy temple boat, Argentia freaks out and runs off, and we pick back up a day later with her saying shes a Sister Repentia now and nothing else has changed. She doesn't have any new dialog.

Also? Forceswords? What happened to those? I've found 2, a few dozen hours ago, and they are kitten slaps now.

Having done that quest, whatever vague metrics of actions I took left her jazzed up. She went in, we had to leave because of a storm, she comes back a few days later with some spiffy new power armor and her faith bolstered.

Neat right? You could legitimately beat the rest of the game in like a half hour from that point, give or take depending on how fast you read and how broken your team is. Same for the Space Marines final quest of nothing, you finish it roughly a half second before the game is over. On the one hand it's easy to bend your game over your knee by the end of act 2, on the other there's so many cool things they give you no time to play with. Oh well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I love how *ending spoilers* you have to harness the power of the oldest enemy with your own pet star-god to have the slightest chance of building an empire that isn't total poo poo. And even then, with the nearly limitless power of the C'tan on your side? The best you can do is block off your empire from the rest of the Imperium, otherwise they'd have smoked you. Not even like you are doing big heresies, just making life somewhat tolerable for folks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

Is it viable to play the game without a rapid fire bolter character?

They're so effective that I'm assuming that in the ttrpg there's some kind of restriction/cost to bolters in a way there isn't for other weapons.

In the ttrpg you aren't doing a million attacks a turn, 1d10 is the default damage type for most things including bolters, and armor rules are a little different. There's also way more types of weapons, so you could have a bolter....or you could have two archeotech pistols. Or some weird alien gun. Or just a plasma pistol, which has waaay the gently caress more armor penetration. Not getting into Navigator and Psyker powers that just ignore armor and do crazy poo poo at the same time. Things are a lot grittier, and there's less massive itemization advancement.

Also it's fairly simple to get what you want. Not always easy, but simple. Roll to see if the place has it [The bigger and more advanced technologically the location, the more likely they are to have things] and roll to see if you can afford it [A bunch of modifiers versus your Profit Factor, equal or under you buy it.] And you can just start the game with power armor. Common quality Power Armor for 1 person is a +0 modifier, of which you are totally allowed to start the game with any one item you can use at that level.

So Power Armor isn't this gee wiz end game thing you work 100 hours to get. It could just be a thing you have, moment one, because that fits your character. And if not, it's something you can get relatively quickly if you care about it and the GM doesn't think it breaks anything. Which it doesn't, because conversely someone else could start with a melta gun that completely negates that armor. Really big armor and really big guns are as present as the GM wants them to be, and in the face of that the bolter is cool but not ground breaking. You are a Rogue Trader and their retinue, you are not chumps. You have the best of all possible gear that humanity [And others] have to offer. You are not dicking around with a flashlight and a sharp stick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Runa posted:

Yeah it's not like you're required to take an orientation course in the perils of heresy, warp or xeno, in order to inherit a Warrant of Trade. You can be as dumb and hubristic as you want, once you get that thing you're the ultimate free agent barring someone with a big capital "I" badge rolling up and telling you you've been recruited under pain of death.

You are totally free to kill that Inquisitor if you are a big enough badass to get away with the reprisal the rest of the Inquisition would want to drop on you. Or if they are just an unpopular Inquisitor. The Inquisition has no authority over you. Well the Ordo Malleus might, the Malleus Remit is one of the few things handed down by the Emperor that gives unilateral authority over any Imperial citizen. As far as Xavier goes, for instance, he doesn't invoke it so you are within your rights to tell him to gently caress off.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Not only will you emphatically NOT max out 2 factions, you can't (since getting one to 3 means you can't increase the others anymore).
But also, mechanically, there's only a fixed amount of Faction Choice Points available in the game, and on tempo. Doesn't matter if you've now become Iconoclast enough to make that one critical choice a few hours earlier.

Factions as in your vendors. Not ideological stance points.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

emSparkly posted:

Because god forbid some people in the galaxy know how to actually use computers and mop their floors.

It's more that they were like 3 planets and a stool and all the horrific nonsense mouth loving every inch of reality just...doesn't touch them. Like one good Chaos Grand Cruiser and the entire Tau Empire would fall. And that just...doesn't happen. Why? To have anime mech suits. Which is all entirely true.

It's just that the sane response to that is "Ok, let people have their mech suit faction.". And not "I hope a Hive finds them and the entire species gets mpreg'ed.". Just let people buy their little toy mech suits and play pew pew laser men, Jesus Christ.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In the grand scheme of thing they are like 3 years newer than the Necrons, and ain't nobody bitching about the-this is I lie I know it's a lie, there were people saying "They are just Tomb Kings but science fiction, what is this bullshit?" even back then.

e: Literally everything has been hated at one point or another. "gently caress these Ultramarines in the new Space Hulk, it's supposed to be Blood Angels!".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 19, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah but that’s in the places you’ve already left so who cares?

You're a Rogue Trader, you take over the places you visit so you can profit off them. You are only loving yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zore posted:

Realistically you're loving over your descendants and really they should be able to deal with a Waaagh. Builds character.

You're a Rogue Trader, if you aren't living for centuries stretched over thousands of years what the gently caress are you doing with your life?