Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Book suggestions.

I would toss Farseer in here as well. Written by William King, of the original Gotrek/Felix books, it actually focuses on an extremely down-on-his luck Rogue Trader who suddenly finds himself dealing with an Ulthwe Farseer and their bodyguard. It's a pretty decent look at both a struggling Rogue Trader (which I imagine we'll start as... possibly not this bad though) as well as just how labyrinthine the plans of the Eldar can get. This one slightly unfortunate aspect in that it's not a complete story, as it was supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, but I feel it stands quite well on its own - you'll just never get to see the repercussions and fallout of the events happening in the climax.

Relatedly, though I'm unfamiliar with them, I'd toss in Andy Hoare's Rogue Trader series - consisting of Rogue Star and Star of Damocles (an omnibus release adds in Savage Scars as well) - which more conventionally cover a Rogue Trader house operating in area the Tau are starting to expand into. This, while still covering the exploration aspect, does also get more into the Imperial politicking the houses deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd say that decent chunks of 40k are satirical, but the universe as a whole isn't satire, and hasn't been for a long, long time. Particularly if you're reading the novels - not just because of writer quality or whatever, but because the way you write a straight satire and the way you write a normal story with satirical elements are rather different. Like, even something like Ciphias Cain will poke fun at aspects of the Imperium, but as a story you're still basically meant to read it straight. Gaunt's Ghosts doesn't even really do the first, but most people would still say it's a fairly good 40k novel series.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Aside from the tank sized weapons that can one-shot anyone at the drop of hat in RT, doesn't the w40k game in general emphasize melee? The tabletop game always seemed to have that RPS balance component where charging melee can absolutely gently caress up ranged units once in range, and why Tau having their ludicrous gun range was a big deal because they would straight up melt in physical combat.

I think it was posted that in RT melee is high risk high reward, but not any of the mechanics like "charging a lascannon is dumb but if you make it you effortlessly kill the gunners" vs "1v1 melee is dice rolls to see who one-shots who"

It varies by edition. In some ranged is superior, in others melee. Last I checked, the current edition kind of fucks over the more ranged focused factions because it's incredibly focused on holding objectives to win, and it's generally far easier to shift an enemy unit off one and replacing it with your own in melee rather than with ranged. Plus, in general the ranged focused factions tend to be more fragile, and the objective focus very much favors those factions with extremely tough, hard to shift units.

Or you're Imperial/Chaos Knights, in which case you were initially hosed not only by those overall issues, but by being designed around extremely low model count armies and basically lacking any decent objective scoring unit in the first place.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Big paladin vibes from his character description. All about rules and order, belief in the nobility of the cause etc.

Are you reading something about the character somewhere else? Because nothing in that link says anything like that - at least in regards to the character. His description is basically exactly what you would expect of a seneschal - one who manages and maintains the day-to-day running of their lord's (or in this case RT's) domain/enterprise, leaving their leader free to concentrate more on big picture items.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 11, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Just the overall tone and appearance. Older, diligent, fiercely loyal, imperious, officer class naval background (so nobility more or less), comes off like one of those hardcore lawful letter of the law "greater good" paladin types. Being human but also a rogue trader would mean that it's probably not religious at all but heavily driven by trade success, "greater good" being whatever brings in more profit.

He's definitely a party member who will turn on you if you go heretic/chaos.

Except it doesn't? Even the first paragraph, which is mostly a more romanticised view of Rogue Traders, and nothing about this character specifically, talks about Seneschals as basically handling the dirty work of keeping a Trader dynasty running. Like, most of those artefacts mentioned as the Seneschal being involved in efficiently selling are either going to be archeotech or xenotech, both of which range from very dubiously legal to INCREDIBLY illegal to sell in the Imperium. Not being concerned with the finer details of legality (unless it benefits his employer) is like one of the prime characteristics of a Seneschal, and involves significant interaction with the black market - that portion that caters to the super wealthy in particular.

The rest, so the part actually talking about this specific character, is just about how him being highly capable led to him joining your mother's(?) retinue, and now still works to hold things together (again, this isn't going to be by squeaky clean methods) during the dynasty's current difficulties.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, if you go full Ruinous Powers I really don't see characters like the Space Wolf and the Eldar sticking with you. I guess you could theoretically do a plot about corrupting the Space Marine, but even goddamn Dark Eldar don't work directly with Chaos (for fairly obvious reasons). It's definitely possible to justify some characters sticking with you though - particularly anyone actually directly connected with the dynasty like that seneschal shown off.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That was one thing I never understood about who the Emperor chose to become Space Marines, the protectors of mankind. Sure, Ultramarines, great choice, noble upholders of the empire of man. But then why did he choose poo poo like Konrad Curze and the world full of murderers, rapists, and murderer-rapists to create the Night Lords?!

Like, have some discretion dude.

In very simple terms, the reason why the Primarchs were scattered over various planets all over the place was that Chaos somehow managed to dump them all into the Warp from wherever they were initially created, resulting in them all landing on different planets. They all had differences of one sort or another to begin with (as exemplified by minor differences in each Legion before coming under Primarch control), but they were exacerbated by where they ended up. And once in command of a Legion, they moulded the doctrine and training around themselves. Angron's probably the ur-example, given he had a rage-inducing implant shoved in his head by the world he landed on, and once in command of the World Eaters proceeded to demand they all be fitted with copies of the same implant - shockingly, this did not result in a particularly stable Legion after that little detail was added.

Ignoring all the simplistic "he was an idiot" comments, the Emperor's biggest flaw in this department was simply that he was incredibly hands-off with the Primarchs and how they managed their Legions, apparently viewing them the same as before their scattering (see: that human interaction aspect again). Warp fuckery was about the only place he stepped in, due to really loving hating Chaos, and had led to a declaration banning Sorcery (among other Warp-related things). Which was the OTHER half of why he was so angry at Magnus - not only did the message wreck his little project (and kinda created a permanent Warp Rift on Earth instead), but Magnus and his legion had completely ignored that ban thinking they knew better.

edit: Regarding the Night Lords in particular, their specialty under Curze was pacification of unruly planets. He'd basically brought said planet of murderers to heel via terror - he was the Night Haunter, the one who'd flay you alive if you committed murder (or whatever) and then hang the skin on a lamp post as a warning to anyone else thinking of doing so. That sort of thing. This is the philosophy he brought to the Night Lords, and was simply turned towards making planets loyal subjects of Imperial rule (though he did continue targeting criminals as well). He himself also never really degraded from that position, but the Legion itself DID degrade over time from those teachings (and falling to Chaos massively accelerated that). Because, shockingly, when you're a mere mortal and not Murder Batman, abuse of that kind of thing starts to become tempting. Plus, while they switched to drawing troops from Nostromo, the terror he'd instilled in them didn't last so as time went on it went from "new recruits from a planet where such crime has been brutally stamped out" to "new recruits from a planet that's fallen back into a murder and crime infested spree, and bring said inclinations with them" - and he wasn't exactly the most hands-on leader at the best of times. Incidentally, seeing the planet had fallen back into it's old habits is also why his first action after committing to Horus's cause was to shatter the planet.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 26, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

In general the Inquisition/Church is going to be the only real problem if you are dealing with Xenos in any capacity beyond murdering the poo poo out of them.

I'm sure some nosey Inquisitor will show up for some side quest or another. The whole region+trading houses precludes most of the typical Ecclesiarch and Ordos Xenos from really getting up to too much trouble for anyone with enough $$$ to throw around.

The only portion of the Inquisition guaranteed to go ballistic over any Xenos interactions would be Puritanical Ordo Xenos members. More centralized ones, and particularly Radicals, are very much going to take it on a case-by-case basis (or even potentially actively encourage it in the latter case), and other segments of the Inquisition are generally only going to care inasmuch as it pertains to their own focuses. The Ecclesiarchy is a different matter, but has far less official enforcement power in the first place.

From the description the SIster will likely have conflicts with any Xenos people you recruit. Said conflicts escalating to lethal levels certainly isn't impossible (shades of certain Baldur's Gate party compositions, for one example), but probably won't be inevitable. Ultimately though you're a Rogue Trader and have very large degrees of latitude in pursuing your job - an Inquisitor has the right to officially sanction you, but a random Ecclesiarchy member does not.

Unless there's a way to corrupt her though, she's absolutely going to try and shoot you if you go the full Chaos route (same with the Space Wolf and likely the Eldar Ranger).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.

They're referring to Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines, who was healed from his near death state in a stasis tube by the combined efforts of a radical member of the Mechanicus and a group of Eldar. And the combined group proceeded to have many adventures fighting together against Chaos to get back to Terra (ultimately reaching it via a Webway Gate on the Moon), where Guilliman proceeded to become Regent of the Imperium.

As such it's likely become more politically and doctrinally acceptable to make temporary alliances with certain groups of Eldar (or in this case, pick up a Ranger crewmember) - particularly the actual group involved, the Ynnari - but there's no formal alliance in place. For one, each Craftworld (or Troupe) is a separate polity with their own goals so it'd be kind of hard to make a formal alliance with them as a whole. And for two, just because the now head of of the Imperium has said it's more acceptable, doesn't mean every group in the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Imperium actually agrees - or has even heard about it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 21, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's also important to note that as you get into the fringes of the Imperium you're more likely to find the upper classes dealing with xenos under the table anyways for various cool toys. And while it usually doesn't get lower down the societal chain that's not remotely guaranteed. Xenos are also not usually wandering around openly on planets, but even that can happen - and Eldar in particular are one of the races that can just flat out get away with it if the powers that be don't really care.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I'm really interested in the turning to Chaos stuff since it seems to feature so prominently in the advertising but theyve been pretty mum about it.

It's not terribly surprising they're keeping somewhat mum about that. As opposed to a bit of minor heresy like getting somewhat friendly with xenos or finding and using unsanctioned technology (or psykers), actually turning to Chaos is a whole different kettle of fish and likely to have far, FAR more severe story consequences.

Like, to go to an Inquisition or Mechanicus example, you can certainly find examples of both who'd generally be fine with what you're doing in the case of xenos partnerships or sanctioned technology. But even the most radical of Radical Ordo Malleus is either going to shoot a loving Chaos corrupted Rogue Trader in the face or else put extremely tight safeguards in place (like implanted bombs or whatever) and force you into their employ.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This Wenduag line of talk is confusing me, as I've never seen her viewed as the fan favorite character or the fan favorite romance. She might be more popular than Lann - and even that feels like a stretch - but it very much feels more like a very vocal minority rather than most fans actually liking her.

On the RT side, actually reading through their listed articles makes it look like the next companion introduced is going to be an Inquisitor. The newest article is "How to: Inquisition" and similar articles ("How to: Warp Travel", "How to: Imperial Creed" and "Nature of the Aeldari") have immediately preceded the reveals of Cassia, Sister Argenta and Yrliet. Plus, you know, ending with a mention of an Interrogator of Holy Ordos boarding the ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As said above, Squats (or rather their new name, Leagues of Votann) were brought back and released with a full codex in late September/early October. The army list was also immediately nerfed, because it was released with some ludicrously broken OP poo poo as core mechanics.

People have known they were coming for most of the year, because there was a joke video with one in it on April Fools, and they were confirmed the next day.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lassitude posted:

At the end of the day though, if the Imperial Navy decides any particular rogue trader or rogue trader dynasty(ies) need removing, it's game over, though. Unless you do something like what Severus XXIII did and prepare for years and secede in the event of a massive ork Waaagh that also occupies the Imperium, there's no way a rogue trader could stand up to the Imperium at large. Although it might take years before they finally get around to crushing you.

Actually the Severan Dominate -- the secessionist worlds of Duke Severus -- would be a good faction for this game. It's also in the Calixis Sector, where the Koronus Expanse this game is set takes place. The Dominate aren't Chaos-aligned, still technically worship the Emperor, but they don't recognize Terra's authority and instead listen to their Duke alone. They're also willing to cut deals with drukhari, ignore Chaos to allow Chaos to strike at Imperial weakpoints, trade with T'au and other xenos, and so on. It might provide an interesting contrast to the Imperium in a way.

Reading the articles on him and his Severan Dominate, let's NOT go working or making deals with the guy perfectly happy to employ a Dark Eldar Kabal to help him take his fiefdom. Given, you know, what kind of things they would have wanted for that that he was fine giving them. :stonk:

Seriously, the Imperium may be terrible but I'll still take it over someone extensively working with Drukhari.

VVV: Glancing into that it also looks extremely dumb, but I will note it wasn't some sanctioned operation: It was a conspiracy of extreme Radical Inquisitors (Xanthites, which honestly seems bizarre - they couldn't have come up with a similar Ordo Xenos faction?) and a few (3 out of 12) High Lords that mostly got smoked by more mainstream Inquisitors and Custodes. Though yes, some did manage to sneak to Commorragh and make an unspecified deal. I'll secondarily note that this seems to have taken place after Guilliman had assumed regency, so those High Lords REALLY didn't have the authority to do this.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 24, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It does bear remembering that high ranking Inquisitors have authority and privileges far in excess of any Rogue Trader, despite the Rogue Trader themselves already having enormous power and privileges. Like, it doesn't matter how powerful they are, if a Rogue Trader gets caught with a Daemonhost they're just flat up dead as soon as a force to crush them can be mustered. On the other hand, Inquisitors can get away with it, though they sure as hell better be some combination of extremely powerful, high ranking, and/or have very good connections if they don't want unofficial sanctioning coming their way as it is extremely frowned upon, even for them.

And speaking of those, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Chaos path lets us sacrifice our unsanctioned psyker to get one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Out of idle curiosity, is anyone here in the alpha, given it's scheduled to drop tomorrow? There will absolutely be Youtubers covering it, but I'm wondering if there will be more personal impressions in the thread. Particularly about the combat system, given just how much is being ported from tabletop versus being a completely new system is still up in the air at the moment.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I will. I never play RPG alphas, but a rogue trader CRPG has been my dream game for a very long time and I couldn't resist. Never played the tabletop though so I won't be able to compare to that system.

Posting an overview and your own impressions of the combat system will let other people pick it apart for comparison perfectly fine. :v:

I'm still waffling on the alpha/beta issue here. Beta in particular isn't too much more than the base game so I suspect I'll eventually cave on that (and only $10 more than the cost of a standard AAA game, so really not particularly excessive), but for alpha it's more a matter of if I break down and get the collector's edition. It's really tempting, but that is not a cheap price tag. Seeing first impressions will probably contribute to my ultimate decision.

VV edit: ...So it does. Misread them just now. Doesn't really change the decision making, but nice to know the premium bells and whistles are optional.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 6, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

oof, that looks rough. Starting the alpha as level 15 characters rather then low level isn't great. If the combat is a problem at that point it makes low level combat sound dire.

Hearty lol at the ship based battle mechanic being absolute trash so far. It looks like they just tried to massively upscale the square grid turn based stuff.

It looks more like a take on putting psuedo-Battlefleet Gothic (the tabletop game, not the computer game) in the game on a grid. For instance, in both brief battle examples the relevant shield quadrant entirely absorbed the first barrage while further ones in the same quadrant did actual HP (hull) damage. Whether this game mode turns out good or not is a different matter, and could of course be somewhat subjective as well.

HP being inflated isn't really a surprise, as the base game can devolve into super rocket tag incredibly quickly and unlike D&D systems there are no resurrection mechanics - while you're not quite expected to lose a character, as mechanics for "your character didn't really die, just got horribly maimed" do exist, it's definitely something you should be prepared for. Particularly Psykers. And that's just not something that's really going to work in a long form CRPG with established companions*. The question is how said HP inflation interacts with the rest of the combat system changes, and that's not particularly well-illustrated from that one brief video.

Levels I assume is some way of converting the whole "you gain 2000 exp, now spend it how you see fit, unlocking new tables once you've spent certain total amounts" into a more understandable to the wider audience system. Without having any context on just what the level cap is I'm hesitant to make any real judgement on that yet. Like if it's level cap 40, then the characters there really aren't that far into the game. Hell, it could be something like a level is roughly equivalent to 1000exp, and your choices on level up are a selection of things you'd be allowed to spend exp on in the base game. With more options being available at higher levels (representing unlocking new tables).

*: Admittedly, playing with pure mercenaries (if available) using full bore Rogue Trader gameplay combined with Owlcat encounter design would be funny to see just how many you could go through by the end of the campaign.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 7, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So yeah, I caved and picked up the dev pack. It's been pretty fun so far, though there's definitely janky bits and places where balancing has clearly taken a back seat for the moment. Will probably have more to say later, but for the moment I'll just say that all the characters have been good so far.

SirFozzie posted:

Quick update: There's no tutorial AT all right now, so the first battle which sees you take on like 12-15 scum (this is the beginning of Chapter 2 btw), you're looking at all these buttons going "huh wha? What's momentum, and how does everyone make that number go up? How are things calculated.."

You will likely bounce off a bit at first because of it

There actually is, but it's not in-game (because of aforementioned "it starts in chapter 2"). There's a link to a word doc guide right underneath your alpha key.

Also, given that characters are supposedly overleveled for the alpha, there are some ludicrously brutal fights you can wander into even at this supposedly inflated level. Case in point the loving daemon engine you can run into at a certain location (it's the scene from the trailer), which apparently gets multiple AoE reaction fire shots for every single action used to hit it. Maybe there's a way to avoid/disable that little feature, but it was extremely painful face tanking that - particularly given it had ~100 hp.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

- The two psykers in the party will probably be the main ones to turn to chaos, Idira and Cassia.

The two psykers in the party are Idira (Unsanctioned Psyker), who will absolutely be available on a Chaos path, and Hendrix (Sanctioned Psyker... also a member of an Inquisitor Lord's retinue) who almost certainly will not.

Navigators aren't really psykers*, and all the stigma of those isn't really attached to them, though I suspect you will indeed be able to corrupt Cassia to stay with you if you go Chaos. Even ignoring her character and personality, you'd kind of be up poo poo creek without a Navigator on your ship.

*: Technically the abilities of their third eye is basically a psychic power, but they never possess any other than that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I think this has more to do with Typhus being a Main Character and plot mechanics than not needing a navigator if you're chaos aligned. The Night Lords, Black Legion and various other chaos warbands need navigators and there are consistent references to navigators and fighting over them like resources in the lore.

I think that was more a joke about the Death Guard ending up becalmed in the Warp, where they'd eventually beg someone, ANYONE to save them - and said salvation came in the form of Papa Nurgle. Typhus had slaughtered the fleet's Navigators on charges of treachery during the jump, claimed that he and his compatriots could substitute, and then deliberately becalmed the fleet. Whether he could actually have safely led them out had he wanted to is very debatable, as the whole incident was by direct design of the Chaos gods.

And yeah it's possible to journey through the Warp without one, but it's extremely hazardous. Most Chaos ships still use a corrupted one, because it generally requires direct favor from the Chaos gods, a ship so daemon-infested it's basically a living ship at that point, or things just as difficult to acquire as a Navigator (cabals of sorcerers) to reasonably substitute.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 10, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

5: Yrliet Lanaevyss, Ranger

Your first (and best) dedicated sniper. Give her a good las weapon (more on that later) and spec her as an Assassin, you're welcome. She's probably been sniping for centuries, and definitely shows it. The only reason she's so low on the rankings is that, well, sniping is all she can really do. She doesn't have psyker powers, being a Ranger, nor does she have the weapon skill or strength to be good at melee. That said, ranged characters have a lot of movement-enhancing skills, so it shouldn't be too hard to instead give her a good lasgun (again, you'll thank me for this) and have her go mid-range. Once you can, spec her as an Assassin and have her take down bosses. I usually take her and Cassia along as snipers, and they can synergize quite well together.

Storywise, she's certainly arrogant, but no more so than you'd expect an Eldar to be. Surprisingly reasonable too; she joins your crew out of a desire to shoot Chaos, and that is certainly a goal I can get behind. Apart from that though, nothing really stuck out for me, but at least she's inoffensively boring like Abelard, unlike Jae, and much less dangerous in-story than Idira. You might also annoy some of the more strait-laced characters if you speak to them with her in your party too, which might be a plus for certain people.

I haven't remotely finished yet so there might be some superlative lasguns later on, but you don't even need to get off her starting planet to find a great burst fire weapon for Yrliet if you want to use her as more mid-ranged firepower. Because one of the enemies you fight shortly after she joins drops a Shuriken Catapult. 12-15 damage, Pen 4, Burst 3 is really bloody nice compared to most other ranged weapons I've come across so far. Also the comically absurd 100 ammo - which admittedly makes sense if you know anything about them, but does mean reloading is basically irrelevant. It doesn't have single shot mode, but that's presumably what the sniper rifle's still for.

Hell, she's not even really competing with anyone for it, as it requires Aelari Weapon Proficiency, which none of your other companions have - my Rogue Trader has it for some reason, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's slimmer, yes, but an average Space Marine is still far superior in combat to something like a Tempestus Scion, who are the elite of "normal" human combat troops - and they've generally been significantly augmented so they're not exactly entirely human themselves anymore regardless. Obviously there are even better troops who come from base human stock, but they're generally directly linked to other powerful Imperium groups that not even a powerful Rogue Trader could reliably get access to - stuff like Officio Assassinorum agents or Skitarii.

That's not to say Space Marines haven't been extensively favored by GW in their writing in general, because they're generally treated as the protagonist and, well...

Skippy McPants posted:

Space Marines are strong, but precious few things in the realms of reality or fiction are stronger than a Protagonist.

There are absolutely threats that are equivalent or better than Space Marines, and do tear through them in the fluff when it's their turn in the spotlight - they just get the spotlight far, far less. Genestealers and Aspect Warriors would be examples of that, where they're at a minimum on the same level as an average Space Marine, and with similar scaling potential for named or more experienced ones.

Issaries posted:

There was a Chaos Space Marine on one of the random warp encounters and he was kinda a pushover.
Bit tougher than my average retinue member, but went down in a concentrated round of attacking.

Didn't feel like he had an unnatural toughness + Power armour at all. Didn't drop his armour either, which was sad. #Roguetraderproblems

I mean, you can run into a Daemon Engine too and take it down with the basic weaponry you start with. Regardless of how badass you think your entourage is, that really should not be reasonably possible. Particularly in the circumstances in which the fight happens. It's just gameplay and cool enemies takes precedence over fluff accuracy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

I think the underlying premise is that absent the insane chaos (lol) of the massively regressive Imperium all those enemies would barely be a blip.

They're not even bothering to genocide the Tau, despite it being a tiny, tiny island of systems compared to the Imperium because it's not worth the cost of a Crusade fleet yet.

Commonly referenced is that during Humanity's ascent, 10k-25k, they saw multiple empires rise and fall that make the modern Imperium look like a peasant village. Literally no alien empire encountered could threaten the collective humanity and Orks were like a fun little distraction for bored military dudes to go fight.

Chaos and psykers kind of upended the whole thing, but during the Great Crusade the Imperium encountered several human civs that were aware of Chaos and aggressively defending against it quite successfully. Of course Compliance dictated they be wiped out to lessen the amount to people who knew about it to try and 'starve' the chaos gods.

The Tau DID have a crusade fleet launched against them. The Damocles Gulf Crusade. They just managed to survive long enough that the Imperium called a halt to it because the resources were needed elsewhere due to Hive Fleet Behemoth starting to show up. Which was very convenient, but then the Tau have had a lot of very convenient events and stories in the lore (see also: the Tyranid splinter fleet they killed in deep space with no losses because it never woke up).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those not particularly familiar with Eldar lore - or possibly 40k in general - the Chaos god Slaanesh was birthed out of the utter hedonism and debauchery the Eldar Empire had fallen into. Its birth annihilated the empire as well as instantly killed the vast majority of the race and devoured their souls. While the Craftworld Eldar had realized the horrible course they were on and fled before the Fall - and in the aftermath adopted an extremely regimented lifestyle as well as wearing Soul Stones to protect themselves, the Dark Eldar are basically the remnants of the portion that was fine with everything going on. And in the millennia since have gone "clearly we didn't go far enough." Admittedly their horrific cruelty isn't entirely for the fun of it (though it certainly is fun for them), as they way they've discovered to protect themselves is basically to throw Slaanesh other souls to eat instead of their own - with the unspeakable agony inflicted upon them basically acting as flavoring.

Commorragh itself is entirely located in another dimension and is hilariously massive - it's actually located in multiple interconnected pocket dimensions, at least some of which have literal suns in them. Incidentally, this is also why (plot shenanigans excepted) the city is basically unconquerable - the overall leader is entirely capable and willing of literally closing off and jettisoning entire sections of the city into the Warp if need be. Somewhat relevantly to Rogue Traders - and related to Wrath - the city also functions very similarly to Alushinyrra in being a gargantuan trade hub for those unscrupulous and arrogant enough to think they can successfully deal with the Dark Eldar and make it out with their own skin intact.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A few seem to have kind of had a change of heart recently, as presumably those who joined the Ynnari aren't committing the same excesses any more, but given the Eldar in general and Ynnari in particular have basically fallen off a cliff in terms of new lore for a few years now, who knows what's going on there for certain. Hell, the most recent story arc had in the ending a surprise "It's been about the Webway this entire time" - again - and Eldar of any variety were basically a no show for the entirety of it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I do have to wonder how the Conviction system is going to work - specifically the Hereticus section. Mainly because that's a fair bit broader than being pro-Imperial or being a nice person, including both pro Chaos and Xenos opinions - and those don't necessarily correlate. So, like some of the WotR paths, wonder if those three generic sections will have more radical subdivisions later. Unless being cool with Xenos stuff will fall more under Benedictus.

It'll potentially be evident by the time the beta is over, so this is just thoughts before I actually boot it up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, was definitely starting to get the occasional t-posing sliding here too after a while. Also the first boss really doesn't have their mechanics well-defined. Talking about the Chaos Spawn here, and for whatever reason it was making multiple attacks whenever it got a Devour interrupt, which isn't mentioned anywhere in the description of Devour or anywhere else on the boss sheet. This was really loving annoying, because I've been trying out a melee RT, and he got a whole 1 round in the entire fight. Knocked down on the Chaos Spawn's second round, and then ate like 6 attacks while downed because it just kept whaling on him whenever it got the Devour proc.

Feels like Devour should be an action it has to take, rather than being an interrupt where it somehow eats a minion a huge distance away in the middle of someone else's turn.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Naval battles are fun but I got one match against three Aeldari cruisers and it fuckin sucks. They're all super maneuverable, spam torpedoes at you, and your combat log against them goes like this: MISS MISS MISS MISS hit for 10 damage MISS

Lore accurate, but kind of brings up the question of why they're throwing three Eldar cruisers at you in a single battle. Like, that's the kind of grouping that could kill an Imperial Navy battleship that got caught out alone, let alone a (admittedly buffed) cruiser. Hell, squadrons of Eldar frigates can devastate solo capital ships, let alone their larger cousins.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Unless you get demon NPC party members it also heavily restricts some of your best abilities against the toughest enemies. While it is absolutely lore accurate, there's also tons of blessed/holy stuff in the lore as well specifically for combating agents of the warp and I don't know if that is in the game.

Given the Ministorum Priest occupation (Argenta has this, and it's a PC option) has available talents that specifically grant anti-daemon bonuses, I'd be highly surprised if there aren't weapons or items that do the same.

The veil is also really not an issue unless you're somehow running like a pure psyker composition with no mitigating effects or something. With just one, you can spam a psychic power every single combat round and not even come close to even hitting the first tier, and adding in a second (particularly if it's your Navigator) should be fine too. There will probably be locations with a higher base veil value, but in general it's entirely fine.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 3, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I like them pretty well too so far. A little note that I liked was that Abelard's background has him being a father (well grand-father even) and widower. A pretty small thing but I like seeing things like this in characters rather than like the stereotypical RPG bunch of young orphaned outcasts (probably more typical of player characters in tabletop games than computer games but still) and what have you.

Rogue Trader's interesting because stuff like backstory age is so much different from more normal fantasy or even sci-fi settings. Haven't looked through all of them, but in terms of age the PC likely really can vary - the criminal background probably isn't that old for instance, but if you're coming out of Noble you could be anything from young to having quite a few years while still appearing young due to the rejuv treatments many of them use. Commissar is sort of a waves hands one, as it doesn't really specify if you're an experienced one or one that's only been out of the Schola Progenium for a short while. And then there's the Astrum MIlitarum Commander background, where you're a goddamned Lieutenant General. Even assuming you advanced incredibly fast due to super competence/connections/whatever, you're still likely talking late 30s to early 40s, albeit with likely access to rejuv treatments there as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

anyone find the space marine companion yet? where's he at?

The Space Puppy is apparently picked up in Commorragh, and thus is in Act 3. Which is in the beta, but not sure if anyone here has actually reached it yet. Or if they have, no one's talked about it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clearly not enough Exterminatus.

edit: In terms of my own progress, recently finished up the first chapter. The Chaos Marine wasn't the real problem in that fight, it was the Emperor-damned sniper hiding in the back.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 8, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It sure does seem like Idira really is going to be one of those characters along similar lines as Wenduag. In that yeah, maybe they do have a good story and character development in their arc, but even playing as a fairly reasonable, open-minded and benevolent PC I'm really, REALLY going to struggle to justify keeping them around.

Or in other words, just reached the macro cannon battery warp event. Xenos? A-okay. Mildly heretical trader? Sure, welcome onboard. Unsanctioned psyker losing their marbles in the middle of a Warp incursion? Are you goddamn insane?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heinrix is actually great to keep around in your party. Not necessarily for his in-combat abilities (which are decent), but because you can use Invigorate(?) outside combat with no limit.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are awkward issues with the presumable Cassia romance, but to me it seems more a matter of how naive she is rather than the power dynamics of positions. Given she personally agreed to the contract rather than it being one signed with her house where she was assigned, there's nothing really stopping her from ending it on her own either. There's also the further minor issue that it's a REALLY bad idea to play power dynamics with your Navigator, given that they can, you know, instantly murder you and your entire ship by just not doing their job. Hell, Cassia's doing a drat good job murdering parts of your crew already by just being some super special Navigator House experiment, so upsetting her seems like even more of an absolutely horrible idea than it would be normally.

Of the remaining companions, apparently Argenta, Pasqal and the Space Wolf are all confirmed as not being options, so no worries about power dynamics in that sense for them. On the other end of the spectrum, the Yrliet was apparently confirmed as an option, and I don't even want to try and figure out what the power dynamics of dating the itinerant 1000+ year old xenos who mostly joined up due to wanderlust is. I don't think there's been any confirmation one way or the other for Heinrix, Abelard or Idira, but logically the first two at least are likely to be options. Heinrix was seconded to you, but he's also acting as an observer for his Inquisitor Lord so he could likely get you killed by just damning you enough with his reports, so that seems like a fairly even dynamic even if he is technically your subordinate. Assuming they're options, that really makes just Abelard and Idira as the companions who are your actual subordinates rather than various other things going on.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Quick 2 gameplay questions:
I picked up a multimelta but I don't see a heavy weapon option in level-up. Is it just equipable by the space marine?
Have y'all noticed any particularly effective ways to prioritize the trading options. I gave a bunch of poo poo to the mechanicus because they seem like an obvious one.

The specialty is not currently available as a selectable option in the game, so file it under "Still To Do." Thus, that weapon is currently unusable unless the Space Marine has it inbuilt (dunno, haven't reached him).

For the latter question, there doesn't currently seem to be any real difference. Presumably the various factions will eventually have preferences for certain categories, but at the moment they don't - they all use the same points gain table.

VVV edit:

It's not, you're likely mixing it up with Heavy Armor Proficiency:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 15, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's hard to truly tell yet, since so many of the background and occupations (not just Psyker) aren't remotely complete yet. With that said, I do think the Astra Militarum Commander's unique ability and related talents are potentially very useful.

Core Ability
Combined Arms: Commander and their allies deal an additional +20+(PER bonus)x2% damage to enemies that are adjacent to the Commander or their allies until the end of the Commander's next turn. All Commander's allies also take no damage from Friendly Fire attacks. Once per combat.

Optional Talents
Distraction: While Combined Arms is active, Commander's Single Shot and AoE attacks get +20% Dodge Reduction, Parry Reduction and Cover Penetration against affected enemies.

Drown them in Shots!: While Combined Arms is active, all allies gain +5% RoF for every attack they've made since the beginning of this effect.

Friend in Need: While Combined Arms is active, killing an enemy adjacent to an ally grants the Commander an additional +10 Momentum.

Unflinching Heroism: Every time the Commander's allies use a Heroic Action, the Commander gets a stacking +5 bonus to all their stats until the end of combat.

Shoulder to Shoulder: While the Commander is adjacent to an ally, the Commander deals an additional +10+(PER bonus)% damage to any enemy adjacent to an ally. Stacks with Combined Arms.

So a significant damage amp to the whole team when active, potentially a very silly number of shots for a single ally if you stack turn order and effects right (via the second talent), theoretically up to +30 to all stats (realistically probably not, but even +10 is nothing to scoff at), and another moderate damage amp that's reasonably easy to set up and is always on.

Obviously the Astra Militarum Commander background is more set up for ranged combat, but there are certainly ways to make a melee character with it too via other options (like Death World background).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

That seems broken unless the stats get into the dozens early on. You can easily get a +5 or even a +10 then a melee Commander could just pulp everything in range.

???

It's not a +5 to your bonus, just a +5 to the stat. So your, say, STR goes from 50 to 55. For contrast, one of the Biomancy powers Heinrix starts with, Iron Arm, gives 20+4x(Psy Rating) to STR and TGH until the end of combat. Voice of Command, the Leader core ability, gives a boost of 5+2x(FEL bonus) to all of someone's characteristics for a round. So a +5 to +30 boost over the course of the fight is nice (and again you're unlikely to get it over +10 - +15 in most cases, if that), but I'd certainly not call it gamebreaking or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Designwise your ship looks somewhat like a mix of a Firestorm and a Sword, but in terms of loadout it's realistically just a somewhat upgunned Dauntless-class light cruiser.

Like, we've got:
-Port/Starboard weapon batteries + an additional light dorsal weapon battery
-Prow lance
-Prow torpedo tubes
-Ram (despite this generally being mutually exclusive with torpedoes for, uh, self-evident reasons - this is likely here just because ramming is fun, rather than really making sense)

That's basically just a Dauntless that's got both its (generally mutually exclusive) weapon options installed plus a few extra weapon batteries bolted on. It's way, WAY more weaponry than any actual Imperial frigate carries.

With that said, particularly given how many Eldar ships they're tossing at you, I really wish they'd mostly just stick with the enemies being frigates/destroyers of various descriptions, rather than tossing in cruisers. Like, just sticking to Eldar corsairs, their cruiser options are the Shadow and the Eclipse. One of these is a light carrier that's also mounting dual Pulsars, and the other's mounting a forward weapon battery that's basically a battleship's broadside but on a cruiser. These are absolutely not things a sole frigate or light cruiser - even an upgunned one - remotely want to fight.