Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What are the chances of any campaign map stuff being optional?

Really bounced off Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous because of the map stuff even though you can automate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The problem in Wrath is that the management stuff is too shallow and the UX so tedious to use. Like It doesn't seem to matter at much and it's just in the way of the actual game. It's a lovely battle and a lovely settlement management bolted onto and otherwise fine game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played some of the beta and it's very 40K which is good. It all seems pretty nice if slightly jarring coming from BG3 its vastly reduced options. Like theres a box on a walkway and I just can't workout how to get it because I can't jump.

But overall feels fun and grimdark

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I hope they tighten up the encounter design a bit. A few times now if entered a fight and people 3 screens away have gotten in on it, so after the first fuseilade of fire it just a few turns of running towards each other.

That and let me peek round cover, there's a few police squad moments where I'm opposite people in cover and we can't see each other, or worse they can see me but I can't see them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

This spaceport area after the prologue is dire. As an intro to the game it's just nothing but trash fights against 10+ enemies at a time who, when getting crits, can basically one-shot anyone in your party.

I think is is accurate to the ttrp rules, but it's such a slog, and I came across one terribly designed fight where a huge chunk of the floor was blocked off, so half my time was spent moving around via cover in order to just get close enough to the enemies, including a sniper picking off the party as he could.

The reason is sucked more then it should was an idiot npc follower was on the right side, triggered the encounter while my entire team was basically in the middle by an unpassable turret that also offered no cover, and for some reason that loving sniper just would not miss. The whole fight was a bunch of enemies I could essentially one shot kill that took 15 minutes just because of how I had to navigate the map.

Even on normal with a 20% increase to hit enemies it's pretty hard, and the fights are all feel meaningless. I'm starting to make sense of how to use the abilities, and that stacking clues on enemies is the way to go, but I'm so limited by starting powers and equipment, much less barely any grenades, that every fight feels like a save or die moment. The wounds themselves from falling in battle are such a detriment that I can't really see how you could have that happen then continue on playing without returning to the ship to recover.

I played Kingmaker and Wrath on Daring mode, the one step below 'core' (which is hardcore) with build guides for all the characters and being very familiar with that style of rpg. It was hard but understandable. This is so new I don't think I'll try anything harder then one mode above story.

Psyker powers also went from highly useful to marginally good in the space of 1 hour of playtime as my lighting spells no longer one shot kill the enemies, meaning repeated castings and cranking up the Veil damage.

That's exactly the fight that made me mad. The mooks aren't mooks so they all move individually so if takes forever for a nothing fight.

Can you return to the ship to recover? I couldn't see how.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've straight up executed everyone who's failed at anything and it's going fine. If people want to leave I should get to execute them as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I dont know posted:

I thought perfectionism and obsession are Slaneesh domain. Wouldn't single mindedly focusing on mastering one discipline be the kind of thing that drives an individual to embrace Slaneesh?

Only If you enjoy it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's a few folk saying the beta is a pale imitation of the release and it better be because the game is borderline unplayable in its current state. It's incredibly buggy, encounter design is awful, skills are completely inscrutable. The clues thing is like Hunters Mark from BG3 designed by a crackhead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Based on the beta no. But folk seem really convinced it will be significantly better than that but I don't know what that's based on to be honest.

Personally I would wait for bit after release to see if the problems shake out

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I think it's going to be good, they really get the 40k vibe and all the problems seemed fixable. No harm in waiting for reviews though.

I think the bugs are fixable etc but a big one for me is the encounter design which is more of a design ethos thing, owlcat might not want to fix it because they don't think it's broken?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me BG3 had set a high bar for encounters. Whatever else you think of that game I could describe a fight and you would know which fight it was and why there was a fight.

Theres no, walked 5 meters and found 6 absolute randos who pose no threat, have nothing useful and waste my time. Then move 10 more meters and get another trash mob but this time they have a sniper rifle? They're just time sinks in the game which maybe throw some wounds on your guy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah all those needle blight ambushes and generic zombie/wraith encounters in Act 2 were super memorable. Also can't forget the "ambushed by a half dozen doppelgangers" fight at the circus no wait under the temple no wait at the harper hideout no wait the wine tasting festival no wait the barber's no wait

I pretty sure I know every fight you're talking about there. So yeah I am right.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

"I remember the fight so it's good" is not really something worth arguing so good on you I guess

That's not what I'm saying though? The fights are memorable, some of them are awful like the Power Word Kill dudes in act 3. But they are intentional and theres always a reward, be it plot progression or treasure. Pretend I said Divinty Original Sin 2 if you just dislike BG3. It's been years since I played that and I still remember the set pieces. That's good encounter design, there's often a little fun trick to the fight for you to discover.

Right now in the beta you land on the planet and there's folk fighting for some reason. You have to run from your little landing craft to to place you're going and there's I want to say 5 distinct groups of dudes? Just grunts that you fight, they don't seem to have any good loot, they don't really pose a threat. I've got loads of abilities that I just don't need to use, you just shoot and end turn. Its just a time sink until I get to the set piece where the guy turns into a warp horror which is good. It's frustrating because there's so many good things in there like setting up your dude before combat starts.

I really want to love this game because I love the Rogue Trader RPG and CRPGs in general. Maybe it will improve with the full release. The only owlcat game I've played before was Wrath of the Righteous and it seemed better than this, though it did have a little of here are some monsters just hanging out on the map for no reason.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The power word kill guys were a good encounter. They reward mobility and initiative. That fight is the opposite of plowing through trash mobs.

Depends who you have in your party and what you have prepared for me. I went in with Dimension Door prepared and it was fine certainly not my favourite and I'm not sure how it would have gone had I not prepared the way I did. But lots of folk seem to hate it so picked as an example, I think you might be the first person I've seen say they liked it. Trying to think of one I hated, the fight up the stairs before the final fight because I kept getting blasted off the side to my untimely demise.

A really fair criticism that you can level at Larian in all their games is sometimes you have to lose a fight to work out how to beat it.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 10, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

Game desperately needs double movement at the cost of attacking.

Theres a tabletop game called Decent that brought out a new edition that had lots of fancy bits and pieces in it. But the best thing to do every turn was move and attack twice every turn.

I feel this is where Rogue Trader is just now. I've got loads of abilities, getting tons of clues etc etc. But the best thing to do is just move and attack. There's no fun way to resolve these encounters. I'm not dropping a pillar on some fools or using some movement trick to get all up in their faces. You always have all your abilities so there's no real trade offs happening and you can't run or anything like that so even if you wanted to make a trade off you can't.

I guess getting wounded is a problem, but again it's a problem solved by wasting time running back to the voidship if you can or just softlocks your game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In the tabletop the summoned demon tries to kill the psyker first. Hopefully that's what happens in the game

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^^^^
I don't consume enough games journalism these days to recognize that as an obvious dogwhistle but I could see it. My immediate assumption would be this guy has some sort of problem with Owlcat specifically, but if that's a criticism commonly used against other Russian game developers, yeah, fair enough.

But overcomplicated systems IS Owlcats whole shitck. No one picked up the Pathfinder games and thought 'This is simple'

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

Weirdly enough 40k as a brand is now wildly unfriendly to the casual fascist and after a deluge of hate for some minor pride social media post the compnay basically said "lol get hosed" to the people mad about wokeness and gay rights.

People still cosplay as Nazis at 40k Tournaments. Not space Nazis, literal ones.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh man, character creation screen...

Thinking about a pyro psyker, but I saw theres that veil tearing mechanic in the game when psyker powers get used. How limiting does that end up being in practice? Does using a staff also count towards that?

In the Beta is had exactly zero impact, milage may vary

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The cover thing happens in the beta as well, for me at least. Standing behind cover police squad style and they can shoot me, but I cannot shoot them, like they're unelectable as targets

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The advancement screen is just amazing UX work in this game. One screen let's you filter abiliies by your class/background etc but other don't. Also the recommendations for upgrades to take all seemed designed to make your character worse. Should a psyker take psyker talents? No Ballistic skill upgrade please.

I feel sorry for someone not scrolling through the 50 options every level and just thinking the recommended ones will be good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Double Bill posted:

Has anyone else been soft-locked in combat? As in can't do any actions, move or even end turn. It's happened to me a few times now and it's getting annoying.

I had bit where I couldn't walk in certain directions for not apparent reason but nothing like that so far

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That's unfortunate to hear.
Is there a good place to figure out what level up options are not poo poo?

I was using guides for tabletop Pathfinder when I played earlier Owlcat games but I don't know if the same would be viable for this game.

It's a bit dizzying. I've got a Crime Lord, Void Born Operative and levelling up I have 92 options to choose from on the talent list. And it's just a big ole flat list so if I want Sniper Expertise I need Perfect Spot for that, but it's not an Archetype Talent so I need to search through the big ole list. The list is not sorted alphabetically and cannot be searched..

I'm looking and I don't seem to be able to get Perfect Spot so maybe that Talent is locked for me forever?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

you can sort categories from the tabs up top

How do you sort them? I can filter to the categories but nothing seems to sort it. Sometimes the categories aren't even there though so something else might be going on there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

How do you sort them? I can filter to the categories but nothing seems to sort it. Sometimes the categories aren't even there though so something else might be going on there.

Quoting myself here. Someone said you can sort the talents but I can't work it out. Can anyone help here?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Further Reading posted:

When you have the option to only choose a common talent the sort options vanish. When you have an option to choose from the entire talent list you get a little bar over the list that let's you filter by types of talent.

I know how to filter them, I'm looking to sort them or better yet search. Someone said I could sort them.

I have Sniper Expertise as a talent but I need Perfect Shot for that but there's no indication where that talent or ability is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm on Rykad Minoris and everyone is injured and it seems I can't leave to heal up on the ship. Is healing mid-level just not a thing in this game?
I don't like to save-scum fights that I won but didn't do perfectly

Can you not just run back to the void ship?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Can you set the first one you get to 'Always send to cargo' Or does this send them to the neather realm.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I like the complete change your dude has once he's a rogue trader.

Ah yes I'm a void born crime lord who came up from the streets........ What's that I'm a rogue trader? Bow before my nobility peasants!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Am I missing something here? This has happened a few times but you can just see here

Abelard here can move 6 except he can't see to move round the thing right infront of him. A bad guy just ran that way so I know you can, but I can't seem to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Had a fun bug here in the spaceport.

This guy ran into corner and just ran at the wall for a bit. Doing that made him unkillable. He doesn't act but cannot die even though he's on 0 hp.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm going to soilder on because Owlcat has made most of a good game here and once he finishes it I think it will be great.

But jesus the space port is draining my will as I've had multiple breaking bugs, the guy running into the wall, my dudes turn not ending so couldn't proceed etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I took one that makes people fight, seems OK doesn't trigger that often.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I really regret picking operative because I have two already and it's terribly fiddly, but I can't be arsed doing act 1 again

Same I've got 3 operatives and I've just stopped using their abilities because they just seem tedious and don't do anything of note. I guess I mount come to an encounter that requires abilities but haven't so far. The Longlas and Arc Gun solve a lot of issues.

I told myself I wasn't going to toybox things but we will see.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Staring at the character creation screen, probably going to be a Noble/Commissar Officer from a Hive World for the +10 Fel. From what I understand of the system (nothing), Commissar is for screaming at your team, and Noble is for screaming at one person specifically. Both seem fun, but I'm not sure which is funnier: Slapping my team members to make them go fast like I'm playing Dungeon Keeper or using the fat gently caress in the powdered wig avatar.

If you need a tip Commisars are the one cosplaying as Nazis in the portraits if you want to look the part.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The combat in this is really swingy. I got to the Chaos Space Marine and first round he downed two people and then the sniper downed someone else. So I reloaded and then just beat him hollow, he barely did anything.

I think the AI broke because I just spread out and he only used single shots.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rookersh posted:

It's broken, it'll get fixed, it basically has to get fixed at some point.

It doesn't really have to get fixed because it's a single player game, who cares if something is broken. You can choose not to do it. I'd prefer Owlcat spent the time fixing the bugs not trying to balance things and breaking it more.

Can confirm that operative /assassin is extremely tedious.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Speaking of LOS issues, the strategist perk that enables everyone to move to a designated zone seems to think there is an obstruction 99% of the time and I've barely gotten it to work.

I've just learnt to live with my guys simply not being able to walk in certain directions in combat. Hope it doesn't matter later in the game

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just loaded my game from last night and it's completely broken. I can't scroll around the map, there's no sound, I can go to a different area because the transition is where I'm standing but that's it and it's the same story on the others side.

Oh no

Edit : All the option sliders on all the screens were set to 0% including scroll speed and volume. What the christ

Edit 2 : all the text from my journal is missing now. I still have quest markers but no idea what they're for.

Edit 3: wait my font size got set to 0 and we're back in the game.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Change yout text size slider from 0 too :D It is a known bug they promised to fix. Why would they even have an option for 0 sized text?

I just noticed this. It's an incredible bug