Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

games gonna own, either in the actually good way or the lol lmao what is this launch way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

I wonder to what extent the game will feature the more minor xenos races, the ones without army books but have lore or art. Your Hrud or Jokaero or Rak'gol.

Given they called it out as being in Koronus as a marketing point I'm sure Rak'ghol, hrud, and umbra will make appearances. Halo devices too.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

Is the Umbra that weird orb from the Astartes web series?

Nah they're basically just 40k shoggoths. No one knows where they come from and they were created for the rpgs to scare deathwatch and high end rogue trader players.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I think it's been implied elsewhere is that they were one of the gods killed in the War in heaven, and their pieces scattered to the universe.

Oh right, LINGER and all that

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

so a random question ima drop in here - there were tons of lore dumps in the Pathfinder CRPG thread, which is fine, but i was getting tons of mixed messages from them. a lot of the same posters who loved the lore and detailed the sci-fi setting and poo poo also said that 40k was a satire and you're never supposed to take it seriously and that it's funny. and i just don't really understand what folks get out of the setting as a result, I think. Warhammer Fantasy did a mix of playing it straight and being pretty corny that I liked, but also was clearly not just trying to be a cartoon. (except ofc when it was and it owned). is the lore cool and engaging, or satire and silly?

I'm one of the "you flatly cannot take 40k seriously" people and what I get out of it is that as stupid and ludicrous as the setting is it owns. It's just a bucket of cool ideas thrown together into a metal album cover and wrapped in a layer of the purplest prose that has ever been laid to paper. This is a setting where space huns ride warbikes out of passing dropships to lay into demons and robot space Egyptians with swords made out of chainsaws.

Like "The planet broke before the Guard did," is a loving badass line and the story its a quote from is just one absurdity after another leading up to a bunch of dudes fighting a desperate hold out action against a horde of literal demons while the planet they're on explodes around them and the galaxy is being visibly torn in half in the sky overhead. That's a cool fuckin image, and images like that are why I care about warhammer despite my inability to ever take it seriously.

Also orks.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If we're recommending hams media for new people, you have to throw in the Gaunt's Ghosts series - it's also by Abnett, it's consistently good, and it's nowhere near as long as the heresy stuff. It also was the series that proved to me you could write a fairly serious story in the warhammer universe and play it straight almost the whole way through (its basically space band of brothers)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that 40k is still a Satire. Satire does not need to be silly or humorous. It can be, but exaggeration and ridicule are also parts of it.

It started as satire and then from editions like 5-7 it was no longer satire and that was Very Bad.

I don't think "Hire Fans" has ever backfired as spectacularly as it has with 40k tbh.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's still satire as they pointed out pretty recently even if it's taken a bit more seriously.

Well yeah because we're in edition 9 and post several people at GW being made aware they had hosed up, as mentioned above. I'm pointing out that Radia getting conflicting ideas about 40k's status as satirical over the years isn't really surprising.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can't suggest reading them in good conscience, but The Beast series did probably have the best bit of Orkiness. They developed their own deathstar. It was a giant ork head that yelled so loud it ripped apart localized gravity.

Someone gave me a plot synopsis of the war of the beast poo poo once and I was actually offended at how truly awful it sounded. Like the thing you described sounds funny on its own but it comes with all the baggage of Ork concentration camps and turning them into grimdark uruk-hai who do totalitarian genocide on everyone and also for some reason they can become godzilla sized? Like there's actually a special king of the orks who is the size of a gargant for some fuckin reason.

Black Library has a lot bad fuckin fiction under its belt but that one's up there from the sounds of it.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 6, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Deff Skwadron the black and white comic is the best bits of orkiness.

Genuinely agree

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Anno posted:

Does the TTRPG have much in the way of modules that Owlcat is likely to follow here? Or are they more likely to be writing their own stuff?

There were a couple very broad campaign outlines but nothing like paizo's adventure paths, and the trailer's hooks already don't match anything those suggested, so the plot is likely wholly original.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ardryn posted:

fakeedit: their mechanicus adept player also made it their mission to become an unstoppable god of death and Grey's personal encounter defeater. A role I say they succeeded pretty well at.

Yeah explorators are real easy to turn into unkillable beatsticks. Every FFG system has to have that one class that rapidly overpowers the others and fucks with encounter design.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

In the FFG rpg if you play an ork you can get grots and while you can only have so many with you at a time the actual supply of them is infinite

Like if you lose a grot to shenanigans/the grot blows itself up via shenanigans/you get hungry and become minus one grot, a new grot just pops out of a nearby vent and starts following you around

no rules for how this affects the air filtration systems sadly

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

40k has two kinds of Skaven - Admech are skryre, the guard are everybody else

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The only protagonists in 40k are the Lamenters :colbert:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos are the frickin good guys,

:hmmno:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I get how you could have that read in a vacuum but yeah Seneschals aren't really paladiny in any sense and I don't expect this guy to be either. A navy dude who goes Rogue Trader is already someone who jumped ship for profit in the first place, for one.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

The funny thing is I seen relic is now working on Company of Heroes 3 too. Given the state of DoW3 and CoH 2 I can't imagine it's going to be any good.

Actually based on feedback to the open beta they did it was pretty solid. So, you know, hope lives.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

They're referring to Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines, who was healed from his near death state in a stasis tube by the combined efforts of a radical member of the Mechanicus and a group of Eldar. And the combined group proceeded to have many adventures fighting together against Chaos to get back to Terra (ultimately reaching it via a Webway Gate on the Moon), where Guilliman proceeded to become Regent of the Imperium.

As such it's likely become more politically and doctrinally acceptable to make temporary alliances with certain groups of Eldar (or in this case, pick up a Ranger crewmember) - particularly the actual group involved, the Ynnari - but there's no formal alliance in place. For one, each Craftworld (or Troupe) is a separate polity with their own goals so it'd be kind of hard to make a formal alliance with them as a whole. And for two, just because the now head of of the Imperium has said it's more acceptable, doesn't mean every group in the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Imperium actually agrees - or has even heard about it.

I know. Hence point 1

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah current space Tomb Kings Necrons (which own) is here to stay. Oldcrons have already been accounted for as just specific dynasties of the greater empire. The only real retcon is the state of the C'Tan.

Also the Silent King's model is probably the best model ever made tbh.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Alien merc race I can't remember the name of. They were from the rogue trader tt game, I don't think they were too fleshed out beyond a pic and some stats though

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They're already getting rid of it, so I doubt it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I ran a full iconoclast run and had none of the issues you appear to be having so whatever broke for you isn't a 100% thing, at least. Curious what might have busted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Pasqal is like hands down the best companion.