Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Where did they confirm there's no RTWP feature?

If it's exclusively a turn based srpg style game it has to have way less combat with less trash enemies in general otherwise it bogs down the entire experience something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If they stick too closely to the pnp rules the character builds are going insane, like clearing an entire room in a single turn insane.

I read the deep dive explanation into RT ruleset, and the original penalties for pyskers using their powers depended a lot on a GM deciding what bad thing happens. In fact, a lot of the criticism of the rules as written were about arbitrary GM decisions and how a lot of it was basically meaningless % increases to your "wealth" status.

This really needs to be the game where they dial back the rear end in a top hat GM design ideas. Melee combat seems like it's killed or be killed in a single round and ranged weapons can include anti tank weapons that per the damage stats can kill almost anything human sized per hit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ideally humans can use some xeno or archeo tech to balance the odds. Or hopefully you can hire alien mercs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

sorry im sure i'm coming off more argumentative than i intend. my takeaway from that sort of description is just that it's.. another really grimdark "look how GRITTY our storytelling is" sort of thing, where people take the piss out of it occasionally, and that it's as a result.. just kind of skindeep. i dunno.

There are evil Chaos marines call Noise Marines who shoot blasts of energy by using guitars that were turned into plasma rifles, or maybe it was magic and their sick riffs just set the air on fire.

Official game rules allow for red painted Ork machines to move faster because all the Orks collectively believe red things go fast.

A huge amount early on had been in service to what they perceived would make it attractive to spend $60 on 5 plastic miniatures you had to assemble and paint yourself. From early on there was always sense of not taking it too seriously especially when they would constantly reference real world people like a massive Ork warboss named after Margret Thatcher.

A massive, massive portion of the "lore is serious" comes from the book sales, which didn't really take off into mainstream until 2006 with the Horus series, set in 30k, is the super serious dark and gritty epic saga of revenge and war. Around the same time GW began letting go on their IP license after having been super restrictive on what they would allow to be made. A lot of W40k stuff has come out in the last 15 years that does make it look and a serious grim darkness of war, but that was mostly to sell a video game or book series, and has created that sense that it's a grim, humorless setting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dawn of War 2 was a excellent game series for a taste of how good W40k stuff works.

The last game in that series was Retribution, where you picked 1 of 6 factions to pursue their quest line for. The questlines were

Chaos: Fulfill a promise to the dark gods in pursuit of epic revenge
Tyranids: Rebuild your shattered hive and feast on the flesh of your enemies to grow stronger
Eldar: Follow the leads of an ancient prophecy to fight a hero who brings light to the darkness
Space Marine: A tale of honor and doubt as two brothers clash in their mission to restore the integrity of their chapter
Imp Guard: Gather intel, defend against the hordes of evil, the Emperor protects
Orks: That man has a fancy hat. Get his fancy hat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If you talk about 40k you also have to talk about the fan culture that built up around it.

For a long time, it was dominated by a lot of pasty white dudes, and as you can imagine when that is the majority of your fan-base you get certain tendencies. The kind of people who lose their loving mind over the idea of female space marines and start yelling about lore accuracy for starters. Then you get into the more garden variety fash enthusiasts who treat it all very seriously and are huge fans of the Krieg Death Korps and I hope you can tell from that spelling just exactly what famous fascist military their uniform design was based on.

So, it was a problem, and since GW was in the business of selling plastic toys to a niche audience it wasn't something they were particularly aware of or cared about. As social media became more ubiquitous however, you started seeing it become much more prominent as the face of the fandom.

About 2 years ago, there was finally some major call outs of the hardcore unironic fascists in the fan-base. One of, if not the most popular W40k dedicated youtube channel, Archhammer was run by a real piece of poo poo and some others highlighted how just from popular search results alone this youtuber would be a lot of people's first impression into the franchise and how he was a racist neo-nazi.

Thankfully, GW responded with a social media post about how they wanted everyone to feel welcome and that racism/sexism/nationalists had no place in their fandom. When the predictable response of "you're losing my business" started GW simply said "good, go gently caress yourselves."

How much of that was sincere and how much was carefully planned corporate PR is up for debate, but GW has gone out of its way in the last few years to very publicly repudiate any alt-right adjacent behavior as being allowed.

If you want a deep dive, this is the video that got linked to me when it was happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3Q_HzUVZg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone more knowledgeable then me can explain the details but it seems like in general there was massive turnover and a huge shift in directions and priorities in the 2010s that resulted in the current situation being a big improvement over the previous editions.

It's a trend you see with any grim dark esque IP where the core writers get too drunk on the lore and want to push it to extremes.

White Wolf, which got bought out by Paradox, literally had their publishing permission revoked after they released a Vampire TM 5th edition book with some extremely bad taste vampire lore linked to real life pogroms of LGBTQ people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, in the TTRPG colony building and travelling freely between systems loving around is part of core gameplay. Hard to imagine a linear or restricted Rogue Trader map.

I read a lot of the massive, massive wall of text explaining the game in detail.
https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/night10194/warhammer-40000-roleplay-rogue-trader/

Some highlights, specifically for that question

quote:

Finally, you roll d100 for every 5 days in the Warp, adding +20 to the roll if you succeeded the Per+10 roll earlier to spot potential random encounters, with a 25% chance of nothing happening (45% if you got that sweet +20!) and lots of chances of hauntings or spooky events or whatever that will hurt crew and morale. Also, most of the random encounters in the warp are vague and will rely on the GM to arbitrarily take their description and insert an adventure and are you seeing the loving pattern? It's almost like you roll a ton of dice just to arrive at 'The GM waves their hands and makes up some spooky poo poo and then maybe we get on with the real adventure'. Navigating is a ton of random, non-interactive bullshit that adds up to a totally pointless subsystem I'm sure a lot of players ignored after the first couple voyages, AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MECHANICAL THING NAVIGATORS GET TO INTERACT WITH.

The possible systems are

Winterscale's Domain: 'charted' in the sense that someone explored it a while ago, but a lot of the maps are lying. It's still the easiest place to explore and has tons of riches so has the most people fighting over stuff, mostly human vs human, rogue trader against rogue trader

Foundling Worlds: Cursed, full of warp storms. Has a crime planet, a ~mysterious ruins~ planet, and a hub for Chaos forces.

Accursed Demense: Location of maybe Necrons, lots of Chaos, and ORKS. Massive ship graveyard of ships from all races ripe for plunder, is a major ork battleground where one ork will eventually get big enough to launch raid on the rest of the systems

The Heathen Stars: Tons of "Dark Age" (i.e super advanced human societies that the Imperium hasn't taken over/wiped out), so lots of human contact who don't give a gently caress about your god and the average cop is probably so tech'd out they could take on a Space Marine and win.

The Unbeholden Reaches: Sort of the strange and weird, one planet that is a massive alien computer.

Rifts of Hecaton: Dead empty place full of ruins and dead stars.

Races

Eldar: Corsairs and Dark Eldar only

Chaos: pirates, cultists etc.

Orks: Biggest thread in the region, can still find ork mercs working for humans as long as they are promised better hats and bigger fights

Kroot: cannibalistic nomadic mercenary bird-lizard-men. Mostly chill and willing to work for a good wage and things/people to eat.

Disciples of Thule: Admech who will fight you at the drop of a hat over archeotech

Unique to RT

Rak'Gol:big, tall, four-legged (and often four-armed) lizard-insect monstermen with primitive technology and a hard-on for evil cybernetics.

Yu'Vath: an alien race of warp-worshipers who enslaved human worlds with their powerful sorcery. Dead in the setting, but a huge mystery that was never explained. Seems analogous to some Cthululu-esque stuff.

Stryxis: horror-ewoks and are a race of wandering stellar nomads, specfically not Roma stereotypes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I think the importance of the STC can't be understated. I'm thinking back 15-ish years when I was actually into this, but lots of guard equipment is basically STC-derived stuff, and is a major reason the Imperium can actually field such a large number of conventional forces. Somewhere there are STC factories churning out whatever the current pattern Lasgun is by the billions, which are then shipped off to whoever is due to receive new Lasguns this century.

Or am I misremembering just how much general equipment relies on STCs these days? Again, I don't think I've read a codex in 15 years, so I probably have some lapses.

The core essential stuff is derived from it, but it is like the lowest of the low.

Chimeras are repurposed farming machines. Lasguns were the equivalent of a cheap .22 hunting rifle you'd use to shoot rabbits. There's certain things that maybe 2-3 places in the entire galaxy can produce or repair, and something like the biggest Titans take centuries to make. AdMech are also insane about infosec, and constantly feuding with each other, so there are various "patterns" of things based on where they were made.

There's multiple stories of the Imperium finding a Dark Age civilization that never fell and a single planet is able to hold off the might of an entire Crusade Fleet, Space Marines, and AdMech just from turning on their STC settings to "high" and churning out top tier weapons and armor. The resulting outcome is usually the Imperium doing a colony drop on the planet and considering it a wash.

This also brings up digital weapons, actual named for being basically rings or something you wear capable of dealing out huge damage, that are/were made by a semi-sentient alien race called the Jokaero. Those usually only show up for nobility or Inquisitors, as a last line of defense/surprise attack thing,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Aside from the tank sized weapons that can one-shot anyone at the drop of hat in RT, doesn't the w40k game in general emphasize melee? The tabletop game always seemed to have that RPS balance component where charging melee can absolutely gently caress up ranged units once in range, and why Tau having their ludicrous gun range was a big deal because they would straight up melt in physical combat.

I think it was posted that in RT melee is high risk high reward, but not any of the mechanics like "charging a lascannon is dumb but if you make it you effortlessly kill the gunners" vs "1v1 melee is dice rolls to see who one-shots who"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Big paladin vibes from his character description. All about rules and order, belief in the nobility of the cause etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Are you reading something about the character somewhere else? Because nothing in that link says anything like that - at least in regards to the character. His description is basically exactly what you would expect of a seneschal - one who manages and maintains the day-to-day running of their lord's (or in this case RT's) domain/enterprise, leaving their leader free to concentrate more on big picture items.

Just the overall tone and appearance. Older, diligent, fiercely loyal, imperious, officer class naval background (so nobility more or less), comes off like one of those hardcore lawful letter of the law "greater good" paladin types. Being human but also a rogue trader would mean that it's probably not religious at all but heavily driven by trade success, "greater good" being whatever brings in more profit.

He's definitely a party member who will turn on you if you go heretic/chaos.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/games/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader

No squats confirmed.

Sad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some other choice bits.

quote:

“Some subsettings are more colourful, some are more grimdark. There are horror novels in Black Library, and there are ones with more humour and life to them. Our game will feature some elements of all of them. There will be locations that are more horror-like, and locations that are more ‘slice of life’.”

Seems like they definitely get that the game experience needs to be a healthy mix of skull thrones and levity.

quote:

You’ll be causing and suffering these bloody deaths, as with Owlcat’s Pathfinder games, as a party of six. Characters fulfil somewhat familiar RPG roles, but with a 40k twist. Among the available party members are psykers, effectively casters, or pure melee characters, like the Space Wolf already shown off in the game’s key art - although Gusev says that’s not the only path you can go with him, and you might prefer to go ranged or ranged with melee. There will also be tanks and support, with what sounds like many options to create hybrid roles. And, because it’s 40k, ranged weapons will play a big role. Gusev lists them off: “AOE weapons. Snipers. Auto weapons for crowd control and great damage on single targets.”

Indeed, we’ve already seen an Eldar Sniper in the party in the game’s announcement trailer. So will there be any other playable aliens - known as xenos - in the game? Yes, says Gusev, although they can’t reveal exactly what types just yet.
6 party members, so I'd guess the same amount of npcs as KM and Wrath, 10-12 maybe? The setting lends itself to hired mercs really well to fill out party comp, especially Orks.

quote:

This character sheet is influenced by Fantasy Flight’s version, but more as inspiration rather than a hard interpretation. “We’re not directly transferring all the mechanics from Fantasy Flight,” says Gusev, but those who played that companies’ series of 40k tabletop RPGs will find some familiarity.

Hopefully this leans more towards "make a game" rather then "make spreadsheet simulators"

quote:

Owlcat is keen to reveal more about the game in the coming months, but before I go, I have to ask if the unique approach to choice and consequence in a 40k setting will allow our Rogue Trader to make some nefarious deals with the ruinous powers. Can you go full heretic? “Can you commit full heresy?” ponders Gusev, “Yes, considering that definitions of heresy vary. I can tell you that in the trailer it mentions heresy - and that’s not just to mention it.” So, more info soon, and an official ‘gently caress the emperor’ run confirmed! You heard it here first.

Going full dark/ruinous powers would offer a lot of options, but unless they get real creative I don't know how you could maintain the same party members who would be willing to work with you while you aren't a mass of twisting warp tentacles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone curious what W40k is like, the best W40k game series made is on sale on steam for 85% off.

Dawn of War 2 is a squad based RTS where you play as a space marine chapter, and Chaos Reigns is the expansion that lets you dip into heresy as well. It has a lot more rpg elements to it then most RTS, more like an Xcom as you pick which squad to start the mission with and will upgrade their abilities and equipment as you progress.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is the one that lest you pick 1 of 6 races to play as and follow their story. Orks, Elder, Imp Guard, Chaos, Space Marine, Tyranids.

The original DoW 1 was more of a starcraft base builder with some outstanding expansions as well.

Dawn of War 3 is trash, don't bother.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dawn of War 2 is three games, the base game and Chaos Rising, which are one continuously story, and Retribution which I think is all the DLC you are seeing.

The DLC doesn't matter for any of them. Just buy the master collection for $8.24.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dark Heresy sounds like it's 90% role play being a civilian in a future hell world, 10% dice rolling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

He absolutely would waste resource on enhanced dongs. The emperor was an enormous idiot.

The same person who, while being 12 feet tall, glowing, and waving his hands to wipe out enemies by the dozen went "lol no one is dumb enough to think I am a God"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tbf the Emperor was completely right about it and the warp warning created a massive demon incursion on Earth he and his super duper special space marines had to put down.

Horus was also meddling enough to manage to change the wording of the order and send the Wolves, which meant they were going to come thirsty for blood giving Magnus no other option.

I think Magnus was planned to be the warp beacon battery or something. His legion being a ton of psykers was only a problem because he kept recruiting from planet of the sorcerers.

The story of Magnus falling to chaos isn't nearly as interesting as Lorgar or Angron, two people the Emp turbofucked in all the ways by forgetting, you know, human emotion exists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes but again, this was a problem and situation entirely of his own making.

The Emperor is cartoonishly incompetent.

"Hey dad, Angron is refusing to leave because the rebellion he's leading is going to be wiped out, and since it's 100% his fellow slave brothers in arms the only family he's ever known he cares more about them then literally anything you could ever give him"

"Teleport him up and make him watch them all get slaughtered. He'll get over it"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Curze and the Night Lords due to their extreme actions had been getting along poorly with most of the other Legions for a while. Curze is actually notable in that he and his Legion went rogue and abandoned the Crusade before all the Chaos stuff started going public (Lorgar fell to Chaos before Curze deserted, but he had not actually made a move yet). It was like 10 years or something before they were located again and asked to help Terra cause they needed help instead of being treated like the deserters they were. However Curze had met with the traitors first and agreed to take their side cause Fulgrim and Horus were Primarchs he had kinda liked while he hated everyone on the Loyalist side, so his forces backstabbed the Loyalist ones.

Curze is notable however that he never fell to Chaos or worshiped it. He was a traitor, but Chaos never really came up for him. He was just crazy, vicious, and fatalistic. His Legion fell to Chaos, but Curze chose to die over joining them.

Curze had some weird thing where he could no poo poo see the future, not warp related, and still let everything play out because what he saw otherwise might've been worse?

I don't know if they've embraced that aspect of him past that original fluff. The Night Lords trilogy, some of the actual best writing in the franchise, brings it up as a fairly important plot point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

A new 40K TRPG is coming out. I wonder if there is any link between this and it.

https://cubicle7games.com/announcing-warhammer-40000-imperium-maledictum/

That's a d100, which was too confusing for me to every get a handle on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frajaq posted:

holy poo poo Owlcat dont gently caress this up :kiss:

I'm not worried about them loving it up, I'm more worried the game actually works at launch. They're 2/2 with games that release 1.0 in an unbeatable state, and I think that Kingmaker took several months for them to fix after launch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Of all the things they overreach for and make too complicated, it's the Managment stuff.

Kingmaker was too complex with too many moving parts that could gently caress up your game long term.

Crusade mode was a poorly designed HM&M that had no real strategy or flexibility. Your only reasonable options for combat were to stack archers like crazy and focus exclusively on DPS characters because high defense characters didn't really have the ability to draw aggro or do anything that mattered. The unique units were trash too because you weren't going to get them in a stack large enough to make it worth replacing anything. Also you pretty much had to take a general with a magic attack, or that act 2 battle against gargoyles would be impossible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just fail to understand how they realized the problems in Kingmaker with the Auto mode possible causing a game ending state, and then managed to do the same with certain mythic paths for the Crusade mode. If anything, they should just left the battles only on auto-win and let you handle all the decision management choices.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

But what led the young sister away from her duties as a guardian of the reliquary? Was it a holy epiphany or a fall from grace? This remains a tightly held secret…

Sister of Battle is an odd choice for a game that is going to let you recruit non-human allies. Space Wolf not as much because they're really only in it for the fight and loving hate the inquisition so that wouldn't be a hindrance. How they're going to work in the Eldar sniper and the Tau Ethereal(priest-ish looking one) will take some creativity.

The whole human party members part of this game is going to be an interesting aspect of this game if they really do let you go full chaos. As a note, I'm going to assume Owlcat knows that evil and chaos don't have to be synonymous and as a Rogue Trader you would be able to do a ton of 'evil' stuff that is still completely allowed by Imperium law and practices in the heartlands of the empire much less in the wild west equivalent.

Or, you know, full Ork merc party.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In general the Inquisition/Church is going to be the only real problem if you are dealing with Xenos in any capacity beyond murdering the poo poo out of them.

I'm sure some nosey Inquisitor will show up for some side quest or another. The whole region+trading houses precludes most of the typical Ecclesiarch and Ordos Xenos from really getting up to too much trouble for anyone with enough $$$ to throw around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It kind of begs the question, if you go full chaos do the companions either leave/fight you or will there be a way to slowly 'taint' them during the playthrough before you go full mask off Chaos god worship.

Otherwise it's either generics to fill space or maybe you just get chaos themed versions of your party members in the form of chaos daemons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

once in a while you get an Inquisitor who was given a Writ of Trade as a very expensive "please get the hell out of my house and go be someone else's problem." there are very few points of agreement between Rogue Traders and Inquisitors, and one of them is god, gently caress those guys.

Given a writ by who?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Guilliman/Fall of Cadia thing is fairly recent, and seems like it was the first major change to the lore in a decade as they kept dancing with advancing the lore past the actual 40k year. You've basically got 2 actual imperiums split apart by warp rifts and new things like buffer Space Marines etc.

The game codex is like 10th edition now I think, and Rogue Trader was written during 5th/6th edition. It will be interesting to see which version of Necrons they use if at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

She's literally in the game's website banner, not sure you need to hide any spoilers.

Just realized the blue-ish person in the back isn't actually a Tau but a human NPC, so it seems like there's only one confirmed Xeno so far.

A distressing lack of Orkz in general.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LashLightning posted:

The Space Marine appears to be of the Space Wolves chapter - one of the canon ones who are happier to bend the rules at times, even coming to blows against people who are effectively the active hand of the Imperium and representatives of Terra/the Emperor. Very easy to do a "ok, I'll work alongside the xenos witch for the mean time, but once this is over we fight each other".

I don't know about the Sister of Battle, though, she'd maybe be a Puritan route-exclusive kind of thing.

Or most probably the inevitable conflict involving The Great Enemy that is Chaos will get everyone to play nice while it needs to be dealt with.

Not only that, but they hate hate HATE the Inquisition and have banned them from entering their home system, and are generally seen as difficult/barely loyal to the Imperium by the purists.

A Space Wolf would be 100% down to join up with a Xeno "one of the good ones" to wreck some poo poo. Psykers....not so much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

idk when this game is set but all the big wigs of the Imperium straight up teamed up with a Pan-Eldar millernarian movement to revive Roubuoute (forgot where the U was so just covered all my bases) Guilliman so Space Marines, even the Ultramarines, are fine just bending their own rules and going "ehhhh gently caress it" if it behooves them.

Eh, there's major factions of the Imperium that would've been 100% down to kill everyone involved including the Space Marines for that affair had it not resulted in an active primarch returning, including many other Space Marine chapters.

The biggest thing about Imperium lore is that the only reason they aren't declaring Exterminatus on each other at the drop of a hat is there's always something else non-human to direct their attention at. The Inquistition has 3 main factions that will happily murder each other for putting a toe out of "line", the Ecclasiarchy will purge planets for someone going "man, I don't know about going to church 5x a week", the AdMech will turned everyone into cyber slaves, and the state sponsored Assassins are just loaned out to everyone and everything thing with enough money/influence to murder the poo poo out of whatever they are pointed at.

The Rogue Trader lore in general seems to be almost exclusively might makes right, with a healthy dash of money=power to the disregard of classic Imperium attitudes. The above mentioned comment like "what, a xeno? lol sorry you're such a backwater you don't know about blue blood humans?" is spot on that it's either that, or "gently caress off or I glass your city". A devoted servant of the Imperium is going to be like the weird kid who wants to tattle over the lightest of offenses but there's literally no one they can go to who cares.

I hope Owlcat does get it, and I really hope there's an Ork NPC character and also Ork mercs you can hire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Issaries posted:

Owlgames got your back:

:wink:

For $200 you should be able to gently caress the statue

I don't know too much about the model/figure industry, but the ones they make in Japan that cost hundreds of dollars are usually literally perfect, like not a single missed spot of paint or unfinished edge, from the best quality material possible.

That may be the case for this limited item, or it's one of those knock-off quality ones with a really dodgy looking face and the paint colors bleed into each other.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The thing about Chaos corruption is when you go deep into it, it's everywhere, and literally tears open holes in reality around you at it's worst.

A RT who dives into chaos has 1 of 4 options, and very few of them lend themselves to trying to mask your Chaos worship. If you meet with a planetary governor there could be 4 outcomes.

- Khorne: kill everyone in the room, make a display of their bodies
- Slaneesh: have sex with or kill everyone in the room, in no specific order
- Tzeenthch: weird cosmic horror body manipulation stuff
- Nurgle: Papa loves all, just give everyone some special gifts

I guess they could go for some basic Chaos Cult stuff where you aren't aligned to a specific god, and keep it on the downlow for a while before going full heresy. That doesn't really seem like Owlcat's MO though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's also harder to underemphasize the authority an Inquisitor has. Literally everyone except Space Marine chapters have to accept the orders of an Inquisitor without question, including things like "Hey, Battlefleet officer, go glass this planet"

The key source of conflict for the Space Wolves wrt the Imperium is solely due to them pissing off some Inquisitors and having a fleet sent to attack their homeworld, and the only way it ended was the Inquisitors agreeing to leave, telling the Wolves "don't ever expect help" and the Wolves promising to shoot any Inquistor ship on sight. Meanwhile the ruling council of Inquisitor power brokers decided "lets just be slow when it comes to responding to any Tyranid/Chaos/Ork attacks on Space Wolves territory"

It's also worth noting the only reason things ended as well as they did for the Wolves was that one of the original OG Space Wolves, Bjorn who personally knew the Emperor, was woken up and put into his Dreadnought because even the Inquisition would hesitate to attack him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I would imagine any Chaos route would probably look like the Lich route from WotR.

You'd have to take to 100x further. Canon Lore is now (I think) that Chaos is so powerful that a single person exposed to it could bring about the ruin of an entire planet given enough time. It's like a psychic meme, but it takes over and corrupts like a literally 100% effective virus.

The lore has been pretty inconsistent in the past. The Cain novels have the protagonist as being educated and fully aware of the Chaos gods, to the point of knowing that they fight each other all the time, and the troops should stay back and let the opposing Chaos troops fight it out before stepping it. It's treated as a big deal and even some of the other Commissars try to execute him for knowing about it/talking about it.

Then you get the Space Wolves thing, where literally everyone that comes into incidental contact with Chaos is purged, and Space Marines are mind-wiped. The story had the Inquisition Leader glassing an entire planet because the Wolves stopped to refuel at a orbital space station due to "risk of chaos contamination". Then you have the Grey Knights, who are specifically trained to fight Chaos, but also so secret that learning about them gets you killed or mind wiped.

I'd prefer more of the Cain novels lore, where the educated/upper class is aware of Chaos and it's a thing but not like, "Hey, ever heard of Khorne" results in the planet getting sterilized days later.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Owlcat will single handedly redeem the W40K franchise as a whole if they reveal a planet of space dwarfs i.e Squats.

Ogres, ie. Ogryns are still canon but BL killed off the Squats in the 80s/90s for some dumb reason.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I kind of want to check out the Alpha but I don't even know how you get in, I'm assuming paying like $80 or something for the backer edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The only thing that would be really hard not to break the lore would be letting the PC be a psyker of some kind.

Every other possible background and skill set would work save that one.