Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also squats are BACK

Why were they removed in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I forget who but someone was asking light-humored game/books about WH40K orks, there's a sidescrolling shooter called: Shootas, Blood, & Teef that appears to be exactly that. No idea if its any good but probably worth checking out.

Anywho, my hope for this game is that you can have an encounter with a genestealer so that during the planet management sections you can help prepare everyone for the coming of the star children.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Space Marines just seem like wunderwaffens to me. Totally impractical on anything but a very local scale. I feel like the first dawn of war kind of illustrates this, as you progress through the levels, despite all your victories, the orks just keep taking more and more of the campaign map.

Like the milky has about 10^11 stars at the lowest estimate and probably about 9 times as many planets. There aren't nearly enough chapters or marines to make much of a difference. But sure whatever, suspension of disbelief and all that.

When you implement this sort of stuff into a game system though, then it gets interesting. Like what happens to a lot of high level spells in some games. They do a lot of damage, but they tend to cost too much, take too long to cast and or come too late in a game to be practical. Where a cheaper more reliable spell would end up doing more damage for less cost.

Or kind of like in some space games where everyone guns for the big fuckoff battlecruiser spaceship that is aesthetically cool, but it practice it's just a giant, slow moving target, that's easily out maneuvered.

That's how space marine seem to me, or I guess more egregiously the war titans, they've got all the theater and aesthetics that make them seem awesome. But functionally all they can do is secure a small region on one of 500 billion planets.

The Imperium isn't going to win the war by way of its Space Marines.