Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I couldn't bring myself to pay for alpha access. At least beta will probably have a semi-playable game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Brutal Kunnin' is a good book.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warhammer 40k is not satire and has not been satire since the 80s. It IS trying to say something about authoritarianism and theocracy being bad but that does not make it satire that just means it has a thesis. The satirical tone was, again, left back in the 80s. The modern tone especially if you delve into any of the Horus Heresy material is way more tragedy.

40ks problem is the age old “you can’t make an anti-war war film” problem. Invariably an anti-war war film will make war look cool or noble somehow and 99% of viewers will miss the point. It doesn’t work. It never works. 40k is no exception.

I like to call it the Wow Cool Robot paradox.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I take this to mean that your character's last name is von Valancius.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Owlcat was not afraid to make party members gently caress off or die in WOTR I imagine it'll be much the same here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder if this game's actually going to have romance in it because that's so rare in 40k as to be almost non-existent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

frajaq posted:

another one lol? whats going on

sounds like it's a completely different style of game from W&G.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Newcrons are over a decade old and have consistently featured in every spin off media to include necrons of any kind. I can't imagine they'd change that here.

yeah it's extremely clear that is what GW considers Necrons to be and have always been.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad romance is going to be a thing because it shows the game isn't going to be 100% grimdark bullshit

wonder which of them is going to be the runaway fan favorite like Wenduag

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how's the character creation or do you just get dropped in with premade

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Aw man I really wanted to play a charisma character since that's usually what I do in these games but looks like its unfinished?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

Honestly, there's a lot more trash fights then you should have for a turn based rpg like this.

Every fight should be meaningful in some way, either as a barrier to entry almost like a skills check, or some importance in the people/things you are killing.

Mowing down a bunch of no name gangers for the 5th time, combat taking 5-10 minutes since there's 10+ enemies to deal with, isn't fun. With rtwp it at least goes a lot faster.

I don't know if I've played a single CRPG where every fight was meaningful. Like most games do not have trash to the degree Owlcat's do, but plenty of them have encounters with enemies that only exist to be a pain in your rear end or walking XP sacks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's zero chance there's not going to be romance in this game and I can't imagine it's going to be difficult to find. You're just going to have to not engage.

Also I don't think the reason Black Library stuff generally doesn't have romance is because of power dynamics I'm pretty sure it's the belief that the core audience for those books don't give a gently caress about anything other than grim brooding and poo poo blowing up.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 15, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're the protagonist so you are, by definition, built different

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually like the ship combat more than the ground combat but I dunno how extensively they've changed that (hopefully a lot)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's non-grognardy but also extremely basic and poorly balanced.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wrong 40k game thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hooting and hollering

guess I know what I'm doing for my first character

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SpaceDrake posted:

Virtually every other review is far more glowing, and in the 80-90 band range. The game indeed appears to be Good.

I'm just accusing the PC Gamer reviewer of being an outright racist who inserted an absolutely inane and absurdist dogwhistle into their review to make it clear to readers who they thought "real" game developers were.

"I don't like the way Owlcat does combat or how they fill their games with over complicated systems" is not a dogwhistle or in fact an uncommon opinion. Like I enjoy their games overall but I'm also not wild about either of those things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

Weirdly enough 40k as a brand is now wildly unfriendly to the casual fascist and after a deluge of hate for some minor pride social media post the compnay basically said "lol get hosed" to the people mad about wokeness and gay rights.

it would be more encouraging if this game's gay romance options weren't the slimmest pickings imaginable

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Should I make a psyker or a melee/ranged leader person

I've thought so little in advance about what to do in this game because I forgot when it was coming out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

Psyker seems like the most popular choice, the companion options are a bit restrictive compared to what is possible for a PC.

What should I go with to not overlap with them?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not super far but everything seems workable so far. It's important to have some tanky melee but there are multiple companions that can cover that. Psyker feels like my overall most useful damage dealer currently because it's not constrained by chance to hit or enemy positioning nearly as much as gun-users.

yeah melee tank was what I was going to do in the beta before I realized your literal first companion does that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I might have settled with Hive World Crime Lord Warrior into Arch-Militant. Maybe. I've been staring at this character creation screen for a while.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Picked up a longlas for my officer and now I can support my team and also blow people away from across the map

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arglebargle III posted:

So in the early fight where you bring Cassia to Felek is your whole party supposed to be reduced to 1 AP for 8 turns? Seems like a party wipe.

Think the optimal way to play that is figure out Felek is the traitor and kill him before you even go to get Cassia

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zore posted:

How effective would doing a Caiphas Cain Chainsword+Las Pistol and huge on leadership and social skills be.

Melee Officer into Vanguard (melee tank) is specifically what the Commissar origin is built for, but you don't get access to Arch-Militant which is the archetype that gets big damage out of alternating attack types. You could go Warrior or Soldier into that, but then a lot of Commissar's Fellowship stat boosts are wasted.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bussamove posted:

Okay yeah Cassia loving slaps when you get more Navigator powers on her and use the Guardian staff. Just endlessly stacking buffs for someone (usually Abelard) and endlessly stacking willpower for her. Most of the companions so far seem quite good in their own right, though I’m only done with two of the areas in the first system so I don’t have them all— the worst is Argenta but she’s more feast or famine than anything. When her burst fire hits it obliterates poo poo, but when only one or two do she feels anemic. Hoping there’s some talents I haven’t noticed yet to help with that, or that I get access to some different weapons soon.

The game is just continuing the long, storied tradition of 40k games somehow making bolters feel awful to use. :v:

You need the ability that makes burst fire fire a bunch more shots and then the one that removes the damage penalty from rapid fire, and bolter weapon expert for the additional penetration.

You're going to miss its how burst fire works in this game but the point is to pump out enough bullets that it doesn't really matter. She's capable of clearing out entire groups on her own especially with officers giving her extra turns.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My Iconoclast is a Noble so I'm playing them as someone who has completely bought into a noblesse oblige thing, helped by the fact you can literally just tell Cassia "nobles should be responsible for the welfare of their people" after she suggests de-tonguing every servant on the bridge. I'll have Abelard announce me to randos but to anyone I want a closer interaction with I'll be directly personable.

For the Depot 4 thing I agreed to stopping the punishments but not to letting them self-govern because having a part of your massive spaceship that is completely detached from the command structure and also armed seems like a really bad idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Iconoclast is explicitly not about "maintaining the status quo":.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah my longlas-using officer is currently the most dangerous member of my party, entirely off the back of how good that gun is.

Once I get Yrliet as a proper sniper and I start getting Master Tactician stuff I'll probably switch to plasma guns so I can dump big buffed AoEs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My Argenta blows away 3 or 4 people a turn with bolter burst fire after getting rapid fire and the buff that makes rapid fire not reduce damage so her or guns being bad has just not been my experience

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cythereal posted:

I started looking into this game a bit, and one thing I discovered that the thread hasn't talked about yet is that when the game materials call the Eldar ranger a platonic love interest, that... may depend on your definition of 'platonic.'

Especially in the context of a female PC, methinks the Eldar doth protest too much.

This is encouraging I was really afraid GW wouldn't let them go even that far

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cuntman.net posted:

finally got the book on a stick :buddy:

congratulations on acquiring the suitcase nuke

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Deliberately started over as a non-officer and limiting myself to only Cassia so I don't end up doing the OP Officer Extra Turn Circle Jerk and actually engage with some of the systems

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For those curious who the secret companions are and what conviction they're tied to

Dogmatic: Incendia-Bastaal Chorda
Iconoclast: Calligos Winterscale
Hereticus: Uralon the Cruel and you lose Argenta, Heinrix, Yrliet and Ulfar

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Rigorous Training and Psalm of Heroes still being broken stinks. Weird they hit most of the non-functioning stuff and not those two.

e: apparently rigorous training will randomly unbug itself and start working???

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 14, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cuntman.net posted:

looked these up and i found a reddit thread about the first one from 6 months ago lol. dont hold your breath for these ones folks

No Rigorous Training works after all it just...doesn't the first few times you would trigger it for some reason

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, the game was just straight up unfinished in the final acts and there's no way they didn't know that was going to be the case on release. I guess they were really hurting for money or they needed to get this out by the Holidays?

This isn't even the first Owlcat game that launched like that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

evilmiera posted:

Yep, but at this point they are well aware of how their games are perceived at launch. I doubt they're ok with that and its based on them having to do it rather than some rationale that its a game ready for release.

Given how WOTR sold I imagine they're fine enough with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eifert Posting posted:

People hate the Tau because they are ripping off '90s anime rather than '80s American action movies.

yeah guys screaming about anime is the biggest complaint I remember about the tau