Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

frajaq posted:

what...what kind of monster would pick a dialogue option like this?!?

a cold calculating forgeworld born crime lord who hasn't taken the skill that lets you use intelligence instead of fellowship yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Buschmaki posted:

Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

you want Iconoclast, Chaos in the game is explicitly about making things worse for fun and Profit Factor

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

deep dish peat moss posted:

Argenta just cemeted her role as Worst Companion Imaginable when I chose the Dogmatic option to let her act during a Chapter 2 event to deal with Idira in the ship's Macrocannon Hold.

She shot and permanently killed Idira, who has been my most useful combat companion by a mile :stare:

That's the last time I'm letting one of these weird zealots do anything at all, and the last time I'm choosing a Dogmatic action :colbert:

which path are you on? if you've already committed keep pursuing that path because the best rewards are at the end and dabblers do not get rewarded

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Buschmaki posted:

The guy working within the framework of the Imperium, but just "nicer", is NOT good.

:wrong:
the imperium can be reformed and salvaged in a way that chaos simply can't
you're not really recognizing someone's humanity when you try to figure out what God they'd be the best sacrifice to

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Black Griffon posted:

How does dual wielding work in the game? If I equip another sword in Abelard's off-hand, it it just another weapon in my hand? Does it penalize attacks with my main weapon?

there are ways to use both weapons but you have to pursue them
if you don't have those talents you're better off mixing and matching for armor penetration vs damage types and special abilities
for instance, the crude handaxe you find in the tutorial is excellent as a secondary melee weapon when you want to make a target Bleed, something your sword doesn't do

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bussamove posted:

Yeah if you really want to get down to it any option not Dogmatic is either Heretical or Diet Heresy With Half the Calories because of what an awful, stagnant theocracy the Imperium is. You just get to get way with it and not have Argenta put a bolter round in you because you’re a Rogue Trader and that Warrant carries a lot of weight.

at some point I'm going to end up having to kill the good sister and i've made peace with that
i had her take Ignorance is Strength so her Knowledge of the Warp and Xenos is at -175

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

I always find it weird when writers put an Imperial hive world in the Expanse. Surely if it's a hive planet it would have gotten that way before Imperial compliance, given that the Imperium only showed up in the Expanse about 1000 years ago?

it has been a hive world since Old Night or whenever it got settled

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

40k has room for everyone and everything, even Objectively Good people and xenos things.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

at some point it's going to be revealed that one of the factions i was Iconoclastic with are actually genestealers and i can't wait

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CommunityEdition posted:

If the iconoclast ending ended up being “while the crusade against your worlds was being mustered, your domain enjoyed centuries of peace and prosperity. Which promptly ended with the death of your entire line and most of your subjects once the Imperial fleet arrived,” I would not at all be surprised.

extremely canon with a side-order of look we can't let what you do Matter but at least while you were alive things were better

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah snipers are great, but they don't synergize well with Soldier skills. But even with a crit-stacking build a gun needs to hit virtually every single shot in its volley to do comparable damage to a 2-handed melee weapon or a psyker attack. My Psykers and melee consistently kill multiple targets every single turn but whenever I use Argenta she struggles to kill a single target each turn.

are you using the hymn? all she has to do is tag people for that,not kill them so you can easily tag 4+ your first turn, hymn up and then after killed 2+ next turn your Even More Murder ability turns on and you can just obliterate entire groups in one salvo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Necrons are the good guys.

their thanatophobia led them into a blind alley and they all have body dysmorphia bad enough that some of them try to have screaming fits but aren't able to because they don't have lungs
e: they did figure out how to deal with Chaos though

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I've been playing an Operator as a sniper to kill high value targets because my BS is still only 35 but once you stack a bunch of operations it doesn't matter

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Verisimilidude posted:

While I am enjoying this game for the most part, it has some serious issues. I am enjoying it purely because of the Warhammer-y aspects.
complaints about keyboard navigation

You use TAB to highlight and the mouse to scroll and rotate the screen, as has been universally true in CRPGs for decades

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Verisimilidude posted:

I stand corrected, you can rotate the screen by holding down the middle-mouse button, something I genuinely didn't know you could do, and isn't pointed out in the controls menu. Perhaps it's in the controls basic tutorial?

It's been standard on CRPGs as long as mice with a middle button have existed

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I also appreciate that you can't miss anything, any Goods you find but don't click on will be offered to you when you exit an area

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This game is my first solid exposure to WH40k lore outside of memes. Just finished Act 1 and, uh, welp.

Couple Qs for the loreheads:

If the emperor's biological remains are still around why doesn't he just clone himself?

How did Aurora come back to life and turn into a space marine lol ?

Why are people constantly going heretic when it seems *blatantly obvious to everyone* the best case scenario is turning into some sort of monstrosity after a bit of fun?

Who is in charge of the empire, wait sorry, THE IMPERIUM, if the Emperor is off in lala land helping Navigators through the warp?

The Emperor is plugged into the Golden Throne, trapped between life and death by the sacrifice of a thousand Psykers every day.

The best case scenario with Chaos is becoming an immortal exemplar of your God and getting to revel in your chosen vice forever

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sekenr posted:

Can someone spoil a thing for me I went with heretical choice at the very start but since than was very idiosyncratic with my choices. Most notably I hidden the blade hilt from Hendrix but then for some reason gave him the blade itself, dont ask. Will not sticking to the chosen path bite me in the rear end later? Will I be dissapointed story-wise?

mechanically and lorewise you're going to be heavily rewarded for picking a side of the triangle and sticking with it
nobody likes a fencesitter

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol the "excess damage from your psychic power rolls over to the next closest enemy" is a sweet perk

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kobal2 posted:

Oh come on, you can say "orc", the Tolkien estate is not that hung up o

:rip: to this poster and their family

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nessus posted:

The Archenemy devours the centrist. Say one of these iconoclastic, dogmatic or heretical things or gently caress off.

The Emperor refuses to devour the Centrist's soul, Chaos refuses them, they spend eternity alone.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fat Samurai posted:

Staring at the character creation screen, probably going to be a Noble/Commissar Officer from a Hive World for the +10 Fel. From what I understand of the system (nothing), Commissar is for screaming at your team, and Noble is for screaming at one person specifically. Both seem fun, but I'm not sure which is funnier: Slapping my team members to make them go fast like I'm playing Dungeon Keeper or using the fat gently caress in the powdered wig avatar.

You can almost immediately get double monocles and they look extremely funny on the guy with the powdered wig

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sab669 posted:

Can't really answer your question but I just wanted to comment that Furibundus has to be one of the dumbest planet names I've ever heard.

there's only so many cool names to go around and koronus is at the rear end end of nowhere, all the good names were taken

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Janissary Hop posted:

To balance out all the "you're a loving monster, I hope you loving DIE, btw plz keep piloting my ship" options.

I've played two games of the ttrpg and ran one for a couple of years and nobody was ever as mean as the game keeps trying to get the player to be. At one point a player decimated the captured rebels and that still doesn't measure up to the casual suggestion to remove all the lower decks vocal cords.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

Warp damage is just a special kind of damage that ignores non-magic defenses.

Can anyone explain how Notch of Purpose is supposed to be good?

You can make enemies move to a spot, moving does damage to them sometimes enough that they explode which means any extra damage goes to the nearest enemy, they move out of cover to a spot you choose it's hilarious

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Melee is fine I guess, if you're not running all BS like the God Emperor intended. Killing a veteran of the Long War with a bunch of bolter fire and navigator powers is great.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

I think you start out at 18 which is appallingly low for a Rogue Trader but you did just get cut off from all your holdings, take over the Warrant, and get your ship trashed so people are understandably not clear on whether you can actually pay them.

Where it gets weird is when you consider that buying a new macro-cannon broadside for your ship can be easier than a fancy boltgun, but the system is highly abstract.

in the ttrpg your profit factor is basically the opposite of your ship, if you've got a shitheap they assume you're going to get rich or die trying but if you've got an ancient storied vessel wtf are you doing out in Koronus and your pf starts at maybe twenty

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, I thought 3 was fine and was a cool look at a pretty underutilized part of the setting. It's not too long and the combat in it was fun. The Yrliet stuff in It too probably cements that relationship as the best one in the game. Nobody else really gets that kind of depth in them. Honestly wish there was more party interaction stuff of that nature, where somebody is very vulnerable and bearing their heart to you, everybody else is usually really guarded. I wanna know more about Abelard.

Abelard has at least eleven grandkids last time he talked to his family, loves being Seneschal and trying to make your holdings better places to live, and will follow you naked into the Warp if you're an Iconoclast and don't have him torture people for funsies. He is by far the brightest point of light in the game.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Eifert Posting posted:

The loot you get seems to be a little lopsided. I'm drowning and stuff that Heinrix can use for example But other dudes I'm struggling to find a single thing that really benefits them in act 4.

that's part of the tabletop experience as well, you can perfect your build in terms of items fairly quickly because even the rarest items aren't that rare
unless you need to have ripped it out of a tyranid you can probably find even xenos weapons fairly easily

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

pentyne posted:

Is it viable to play the game without a rapid fire bolter character?

They're so effective that I'm assuming that in the ttrpg there's some kind of restriction/cost to bolters in a way there isn't for other weapons.

the tabletop system is so vastly different from this one as to be incomparable
for one thing there's no extra turns, for another there's only one action per turn though some things only take half an action so you can do two different things

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jack Trades posted:

What the gently caress is this game?

was that the last enemy of the combat? because i've had that same thing but afaik only with the last enemy, Argenta was closest and got flattened by the residual damage
psychic powers do a poor job differentiating between friend and foe which is flavorful and in Argenta and Indira's case clearly correct

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah the damage just rolls over to whichever party member is closest at that point

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

also rogue traders are explicitly chartered in this case by the Emperor Himself to do whatever they want

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Inquisition can kill you but that isn't the same thing as having authority over you. Ultimately you answer to Him and Him alone.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

good thing our character has an original one

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I was really hoping the Mercenaries you can hire could be Orks or whatever. The Last Stand mode of DOW2 is the only WH40k game I can think of where you can have all different races working together and it was cool as hell. Hopefully someone mods in some xenos Mercs.

take an Ork Mekboy and hotwire a Necron troop detachment

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kobal2 posted:

Passes, DLC, mods - I will not put this game to rest until I've hosed an ork.
Well, to be absolutely specific, until an ork has hosed me.

It's all in your hands, Owlcat. You can profit from it, or you don't want to. Choose wisely.

Iconoclast: Orks can get hosed
vs
Dogmatic: Orks can get hosed

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pwnstar posted:

Yrliet: Not many can say that humans are hosed up and poo poo with no redeeming qualities. I can. I say it and I say it out loud everyday to people aboard the Rogue Trader's ship and all they do is prove mon-keighs can still be immature jerks. And I've learned all the insults and I've learned how to make myself and the ship less lonely by shouting them all.

...and also the mon-keigh keeps flirting with me and i have no idea how that would even work and oh no they have illustrated diagrams

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

does the game ever tell you about how to change formation or does it just rely on everyone being crpg fluent enough to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lmao
good for that kabalite tbh, centuries of combat experience paying off