Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The alpha was really fun

Eifert Posting posted:

The most important things to understand about Warhammer 40K is
A) It was made by a bunch of gen x English dudes Who had a justifiably extremely negative opinion of governments. At a fundamental level, Warhammer 40K was never meant to be aspirational in any way.
B) up until the mid '90s where it started becoming one of the more profitable sci fi IPs it was written to be extremely silly and nonsensical satire.

My favorite anecdote illustrating the latter point is that one of the most important characters in the setting is named after the bouncer at one of the bars they all used to go to.

Angry Ron

Angryron
Angron

Lion'El Jonson and his secret base at The Rock are even better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

At least we don’t have to worry about Owlcat failing to understand that the Imperium are also villains.

That angle being missed is always the biggest worry I have with Warhammer media so it's nice to see them being unambiguous. I didn't get a sense of them pulling any punches in that regard in the Alpha either, especially with some of the dialogue and actions you can choose.

Issaries posted:

No Necrons on that video is bit disappointing.
I hope they're included in the final game.

I hope to see them as a full -fledged force but if not, they (and the T'au) seem obvious for expansions later on. Not ideal but not the worst option either imo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat yeah that's what's really missing, where are the orks? Smh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They've done previews for some Dark Eldar who seems to be a secondary antagonist? Or maybe party member? Either way I imagine it's related to them

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Looking forward to the Darven plotline in Rogue Trader

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm modding out ship combat the second I can. It was so boring in the Alpha.

Trailer looked cool. Who was that snake guy with the Dark Eldar

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh doesn't the Beta unlock today

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

We're live! FYI I couldn't get the platform select button to work on Chrome but it did on Edge

Zodiac5000 posted:

I wonder if I'll be able to tell when it rolls over from Alpha to Beta? It's not like Steam marks the current game as alpha.

It should be a whole new key, check Digital Downloads on the account page

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I wonder how far down the heresy path you can drag some of these companions. The Inquisition guy seems like he can go Radical easy, but the Sister and probably the Wolf might not be so... flexible

sebmojo posted:

you can be such a dick, i'm enjoying it so far

I feel like they did a great job capturing the tone in general. From the stupid big scale of everything to the zealtory and brutality of the state to the insane arrogance of the noblility. It's some really great Warhammer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Argenta is such a beast lol, wipe entire squads in a single turn

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Holy poo poo how many reaction attacks does this Daemon Engine on the Mechanicus ship get lol. Rinsing me

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They're out there... and I will find them

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm actually liking ship combat a lot, had some tense fights. Also unlocked a perk that shocks ships in range with warp lightning, but it's bugged and you can use it am infinite amount of times per turn lol. Sorry Eldar but you're annoying so it's time to abuse this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Keep getting a crash on Kiava Gamma, I think it's one specific guy causing it. Looks like I'm not the only one so hopefully thsy do a hotfix soon

Arglebargle III posted:

So is it good?

Yup!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I do really wish there was a pre-made levelup path like in Wrath so I don't need to tediously do it myself. I like combat fast and plentiful personally, but agree that I haven't felt threatened by basically any fight. I am on Normal though maybe Core is the real game

Also I've played enough Pathfinder to know that I absolutely do not miss doing the math to figure the optimal way to stack eleven buffs and debuffs and prebuffs on each character before every single fight. In fact, it can go to hell

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol there's already a Toybox on Nexus. Modders work quick

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spacebar during an enemy's turn puts them in fast mode too. Not yours though, just ends it which I learned the hard way lol. Annoying since it did both in Pathfinder iirc

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Found some four-armed friends while exploring. Glad to see them in the game

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

evilmiera posted:

Pondering what my favorite companion quest is and it's probably got to be Jae's so far. Getting to tangle with the toughest enemy in all of 40k, the Imperium's bureaucracy (even in what amounts to a backwater with nowhere near the issues of the main body of the Administratum).

That bit in the backend of that quest where you're waiting in line to do space paperwork was really fun. Literal lol when I chose the option to clear aside the benches and set up some comfy couches for my party to lounge on while waiting. Also the fact that you can just shoot randomly into the crowd to get to the front of the line, very appreciated touch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Personally I feel like they nail it. There's no halfassing in their presentation of the Imperium as a vile, militantly zealous, racist, inhumane and pointlessly cruel regime. And you can play along with that with some very fun dialogue choices lol. Owlcat has a better understanding of the the Imperium than some Black Library authors imho

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Colony Ship rules

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even stuff like 'oh I'll spare this guy from being executed by an angry mob and he can serve on my ship' is horrible because the ship crew are slaves who live lives of constant terror broken up the occasional bought of brutality lol. Amazing

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's annoying because you can do the colony building projects from anywhere but you have to go seven systems out of the way to do a one-line text event

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh lol I just assumed the attractive thing was a bad translation (survey was pretty iffy on that) and thought they meant, like, how much do you like each character

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Psychic Shriek and Assail got pretty powerful once I levelled up a bunch. Helps that Perils of the Warp never triggered despite maxing out a lot

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

evilmiera posted:

How is a planet claimed by a Rogue Trader outside of the Imperium's official borders though? Isn't it part of the Imperium by definition?

Rogue Traders have a lot of leeway to do whatever they want. And since they exist mostly to push out past the frontier they're far enough away from the central government they can get away with a lot, helped by the bloated, barely functioning nature of Imperial bureaucracy which might not even notice the Rogue Trader fiefdom exists for decades or centuries after they're founded

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also while I'm not sure what the date is in Rogue Trader it's probably 999.M41 so the Imperium's going to be a little too busy in a year or so to do anything about a Rogue Trader not paying space taxes on their unregistered Gloriana-class ship

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Aha I knew I was getting 'companion option' vibes from them

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Obviously went full Heretic since I was playing a good guy. Didn't get to do too many funny things though

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Eldar have an insane inherent dodge rate. Which feels kinda fitting imo but it makes fight them a bastard sometimes

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I hope they make it much easier to trigger Warp trouble. Even using psyker powers constantly it was hard to make anything happen

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I had to stop myself from using Cassia too much because of how powerful her default powers were lol. Argenta too

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I feel like it'd be very hard to miss if this was set post-Cadia. That and everything that came with it was such an overwhelmingly devestating calamity that the Imperium basically collapsed for a while

SirFozzie posted:

2 DLC already added to the schedule (starting in June), two new companions (death cult assassin, and an Adeptes Arbites). Both add about 15 hours to the game, and are folded into the main campaign (not seperate secondary campaigns this time?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/189qe2p/starrok_posted_this_on_discord_dlc_plan_for_rogue/

edit: apparently, Owlcat has heard the community's request for no more of such things.

edit:2: Season Pass for DLC will be available for sale on the 7th

Oh good. I mean the standalone campaigns are always fun enough in their own right but I want more stuff for the main story, hence Sarkorians being the best Wrath DLC

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol I already forgot about the Lion coming back

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buschmaki posted:

This AND Colony Ship? Space rpg gamers eatin good

Yup. This is our time, right here

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

JamMasterJim posted:

Small update for the era of the game via discord.
Beta dates are apparently irrelevant or outdated.

Cicatrix Maledictum is already in place

Oh. Feel like that should come up more lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I get all that. Still, considering they're on the wrong side of the Rift it seems like a hard thing to only mengton in passing

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

I skimmed through it without reading too much text. Final confirmation for something we've all been dreading.

No Orks.

I'm getting a refund

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I believed the line now is that the votann are entirely seperate from squats. The squats of old still existed and still got owned but the votann are their own thing somewhere else. I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Full Benevolentia (Khorne aligned) playthrough