Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

pentyne posted:

Anyone curious what W40k is like, the best W40k game series made is on sale on steam for 85% off.

Dawn of War 2 is a squad based RTS where you play as a space marine chapter, and Chaos Reigns is the expansion that lets you dip into heresy as well. It has a lot more rpg elements to it then most RTS, more like an Xcom as you pick which squad to start the mission with and will upgrade their abilities and equipment as you progress.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is the one that lest you pick 1 of 6 races to play as and follow their story. Orks, Elder, Imp Guard, Chaos, Space Marine, Tyranids.

The original DoW 1 was more of a starcraft base builder with some outstanding expansions as well.

Dawn of War 3 is trash, don't bother.

DoW 1 and expansions even had a gimmick where you took over a whole planet by battling on different maps against the different factions. I'd like to see that gimmick more in RTS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Warden posted:

Persistent legend goes that they came up with the name Angron from a bouncer at a local pub called Angry-Ron.

Be great if Angry Ron was actually totally cool and fine with having a main character named after him.

Like,
Angry Ron *shrugs* "Yep that's me, what can ya say? Those boys nailed it."

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

CommunityEdition posted:

Owlcat IS Russian, after all.

They're based in Cyprus, though?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Well poo poo, today I learned something. Either way can't wait for this to get full release.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I haven't had as much time to play this as I'd have liked and oh man does it not hold your hand in the starting area. I tried to do the starport first and kept getting my rear end handed to me. it wasn't until I did the navis first then the prison, and then the starport with a fuller party complement that I finally was able to handle it.

I reckon there's folks who are already near the end of the game and here I am still in the starting area.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

a7m2 posted:

Now that two months have passed since release, are the most serious bugs resolved? I really want this game and it was hard not to get it on release. I realize that with Owlcat the longer the wait the better but if the game is in decent shape, I'm willing to deal with not-gamebreaking bugs.

Without giving too much away there's a bug in the second chapter where due to a cutscene you get teleported to a new location and so you don't automatically know the way out of the zone unless you happen by it later on, but meanwhile if you've done all of the quests for that planet you're spending a lot of time retracing steps to figure out how to advance the story and get out of there. I was on the verge of rage quitting, uninstalling, and waiting until more patches came out until I saw a single line on a steam discussion about what to do and where to go to get out.

Footfall. Have to leave to open up the quarantine zone but you don't know where your shuttle berth is unless you went back and knew it was at a different spot than the one you saw in the landing cutscene.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Magni posted:

Wut? Your shuttle in Footfall is in exactly the same bay you first land in.

The icon on the map isn't there until you trigger the cutscene with the inquisitor on your way out.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I dunno what to tell ya, I went back to the spot where the cutscene took place and there was nothing. It wasn't until I went to the other end of the docking bay that anything happened to advance the story and even let me leave Footfall. At the very least, I wasn't the only person to be thrown for a loop at that point in the story as several other people posted about it on steam discussions and Reddit.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 5, 2024

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Naramyth posted:

Allegedly BG3 did it well and it has destroyed the studio. It’s probably not worth it.

What?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Naramyth posted:

I thought I read they lid off a bunch of employees and were almost bankrupt but I can’t find that info again so uh hearsay nonsense I guess

Gotcha yeah that was a ton of other studios, big corpo studios, who did that so their quarterly earnings could look great for shareholders.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
JUST got to the start of chapter 3.
No spoilers, but am I doing this right by not making any warp routes better than 'unsafe' so I can get random battles and level up more frequently?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

pentyne posted:

No that's correct. If you explored as much as you could in Act 2 there's pretty much nothing new to find aside from a single system that is main quest locked.

The DLC packs are supposed to be 2 massive core game updates, hopefully filling out that 50% of the map that is empty with new places to explore especially for Act 4 tier stuff.

Lol no way. Not much of a spoiler, but that's a let down. Ch2 I was cruising through the map like, "oh boy can't wait to see the rest of this map opened up! There's all this space yet to be explored, they'll surely have stuff for it later."
I'm almost done with chapter 3 and reading that I almost feel bad slamming through it as fast as I could.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is on sale on steam and I'm interested in playing it, but all the reviews I have read mention it having more bugs than the Tyranids. Has that largely been fixed over time?

I've encountered a few but nothing gamebreaking so far through the 3rd chapter. One of them was less a bug and more a design oversight.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Is it possible to change the name of your ship mid-game? Really should have given more thought to it than, "Dixie Normous"

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Agreed.

I'm playing through the fourth chapter of the game and was the icy hiveworld point of interest that lost its sun to dark eldar supposed to happen sooner? I've already gotten out of Commoragh, but it's fun to blast away at more BDSM Elves for putting me through chapter 3. This is different from the first time the game has this happen to the koronus expanse.
Haven't had a chance to complete the icy hive world stuff yet.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Somehow, end of chapter 4, Heinrix was never able to use any of his psyker abilities anywhere on Eufrates II. I reloaded to see if the latest patch fixed the final boss fight and holy poo poo is it a slog, still not past it.