Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

turn off the TV posted:

is this game super easy at the start compared to later chapters?

I've only played on daring. Act one was a fun puzzle but required zero reloads and never had a risk of failure. The boss died in a single round.

The second fight in act 2 had my main damage dealer one-shot because I was getting complacent and was playing poorly. It was completelyavoidablein hindsight. I was still able to win but it was noticeably more challenging and less forgiving than anything I previously dealt with.

I've heard a lot of complaints about later acts being even harder, so this might be one of the few RPGs that gets the difficulty curve right. Other Owlcat games were similar in this regard, which is part of why I like them so much. Character building and tactical decisions actually matter, unlike most RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've found operatives really powerful. You can rapidly scale Pasqal with the operative talents that let you scale harder with intelligence and perception, and get a giant stack of tactical knowledge to make your team super tanky and improve his damage if you take talents that accelerate analysis.

Once you become a grand strategist I'd go back and pick up the tech priest specific talents.

He can hard carry act 1 with the longlas, you can wait on the plasma talents.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 19, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nessus posted:

Ah OK. It's probably in my inventory somewhere then.

It might not be. The crate it hides in is invisible. You can see it on the map or its label when you hold tab.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Would burst-fire arch-militants still be broken if they fixed it by not counting burst-fire as an area attack? It seems like an unintended bug that they work with concentrated fire and create two stacks of versatility each burst without having to actually use an alternate attack (because the attack is a burst and an area). Never having to perform suboptimal actions is huge, getting your scaling at double the intended speed is a huge factor in how busted burst-fire is currently, and the flamer talent is currently better for bolters than rapid fire.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Where are you seeing this in the patch notes?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

That isn't the most recent patch. It hasn't been fixed.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

Aside from a RT built for the role, who are you all using for the following skill checks

- Lore Imperium
- Commerce
- Persuasion
- Coercion

I just landed on Janus and even with the +30% bonus to skill checks from the difficulty option slider (which I don't even know if it's working properly) I'm suddenly seeing a lot of skill checks 70% and below, including a bunch of -30 dialogue choices that are pretty low if not impossible to succeed in.

I did get the vibe that even for normal or story mode the skill check numbers jump sky high so you have to take those specific skill talents in your character builds.

My main character does Persuasion and Coercion. Jae does Commerce and Lore Imperium. Jae can pretty easily crush her checks with gear. I'm where you are and my RT's coercion is at 120.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Carcer posted:

I'll do a second playthough as a psyker eventually but I'm not very interested in the other classes except officer, which I'm doing for my first.

If you want a non support psyker officer is the worst archetype you can pick. Soldier's Run and Gun lets you make a second attack of any type, including psyker powers, while operative will passively much more than double your damage.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

Are there any colony projects that are sort of traps? The Janus project for replenishing high level medkits that cure traumas gets locked out by a project that gives 5% bonus damage to xenos.

I see the value in both but the ability to remove traumas between combat rounds seems like a vastly better option.

5% damage seems better though? I've never suffered a trauma since alpha strikes are so obscenely powerful. I guess you can sell the medkits for rep?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Did they change the base strength of argenta in a patch or something? I haven't played since last monday but today, loaded it up and played a little bit, got into a fight and she'd unequipped her heavy bolter I bought last time I played and had definitely used on her. Can't equip it anymore because she's under the requirement even with the perk.

There is gear that boosts strength. You probably switched out her gloves on accident

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

Why does the ship not face the way it's.projected to in combat anymore

There is a bug where the ship will turn at the end of projected movement if you are running at higher than normal combat speed. It'll even interrupt planned broadsides that should have worked.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

So I’m still just at the beginning and I’m wondering is there a particular order to worry about doing things in or is it fine to do em in any order? Thinking about going to the Navigator station first as that seems most important

Also more generally it sounds like I should probably preemptively download toy box as it’s more or less capable of resolving any potentially annoying bugs / overcoming poor tuning for quantitative components like rep or alignment points or whatever? I’ve never played an OC game before so I’m still getting used to their particular level of buggy nonsense juxtaposed next to excellent writing and seemingly decently considered mechanics

Navigator first (make sure you strip the station of all its valuables for the profit factor), the unidentified ship is a merchant you can visit whenever, visit the penal colony after getting Pasqal at the main planet. Don't finish up the main planet (you can leave after destroying the artillery) until you've finished the penal colony.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

but it’s the kind of baffling balance decision I didn’t anticipate being implemented suddenly when the game has already been out awhile

There hasn't been an update this year. I don't know what caused you to not be able to use your gun (my guess is you used toybox to respec and now have lower strength), but it wasn't Owlcat loving you over with a balance pass.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ccubed posted:

What are some good ways to debuff armor on enemies and/or gain armor penetration? Preferably from characters like Pascal and Cassia. Only in chapter 2, but this Heavy Stubber from Kasballica looks amazing on Argenta except for the low bass damage and lack of armor pen.

The ability all operatives get at level 3 or 4.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

So earlier on the prison planet I was nice to someone and he told me to seek out a merchant in footfall’s shadow quarter but I can’t find him/a reference to it online, am I just crazy?

It might be fixed, but last time I played that discount was bugged and greatly increased the cost of all goods from that vendor. I'd save and double check.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

It sure is weird how people enjoy rping a fascist in 40k game threads when there are actual self identified nazis complaining about the iconoclast ending being unrealistic online.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

i would simply not read the video game opinions of actual nazis

The problem is I can't tell which posts are ironically pro genocide and which are nazis.

Complications posted:

Having not seen that ending I can only assume that you lighten up on the fascist oppression by about 1.5 degrees and it's still something that will only last right up until an Imperial crusade or Ork Waaugh or Tyranid fleet rolls in and obliterates all involved because Warhammer is where good things go to get murder-rape-hosed by the writers.

You'd be wrong. It is optimistic enough to make people really upset.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 8, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

If people want the thread to be filled with white noise about how murdering the other is cool and good instead of game mechanics, plot discussion, and how to work around bugs I'll duck out until there is something worth talking about. Sorry for making GBS threads up your fashy circle jerk.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

The thing I've noticed mainly is more a lot of people posting with sadistic glee how much they love executing the few non white characters in the game.

Both here and elsewhere.

This was what I was trying to get at without coffee or breakfast but then everyone came out of the woodwork farting and saying that they are, in fact, nazis.

The number of people who proudly talk about murdering all the non-cis white characters in this game is disturbing. I can't tell who is just really into the lore (whatever that means) and who is just a nazi.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

So is 40k an exception to the rule "if someone tells you they are a nazi, believe them."?

I actually thought the Idira decision was fairly nuanced. Sure, she is useful, but it also isn't her fault that she wasn't ever sanctioned, and she spent who knows long hanging out with a an extremely heretical RT who kept telling her that whatever harm she was doing to the rest of the crew (or anyone else) didn't matter. She's been heavily indoctrinated into a cult and I would argue that she'd normally deserve at least an attempt at deprogramming, but that isn't an option, at least in the immediate term. She's wildly dangerous and unremorseful. The game also doesn't have any path to redemption for her, that I've seen at least.

But that's not how a lot of people present those kinds of decisions. There are a lot of people who think it is a funny joke that you can put a bullet in the head of the black woman. Those same people talk up instantly killing the diaspora Xenos the second you determine they aren't the white woman they were passing as. They hate Jae because she's uppity or some bullshit. People are angry that Iconoclast even exists, let alone has positive outcomes more often than not.

40k isn't satire making fun of fascism if the fascist answer is always the correct one. Owlcat gets this, which is why being dogmatic isn't always the best path. Sometimes this thread reads like how I'd imagine the Disco Elysium thread would read if people unironically loved the fascist playthrough though. In a world where literal self-proclaimed nazis are making the same lovely jokes as goons, and fascism is on the rise worldwide, maybe you all could not loving sound identical to people who want to murder me? Because I'm sure most of you aren't nazis, and maybe you didn't realize how many loving Nazis love 40k and make the same lovely jokes you all make every couple of pages.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

Nazi's don't own Warhammer 40k and its pretty lovely of you to imply anyone making jokes about the game is nazi-adajcent because you're apparently seeing tons of Nazis also making jokes.

Also gently caress off with that "diaspora" comparison for a space elf she's not a real person and Eldar aren't some kind of Jewish analogue.

I agree that 40k isn't owned by Nazis. The problem is that Nazis are actively working to culturally assimilate 40k. It has taken active pushback from GW and the community for them to have not taken over.

I don't agree that literature and fiction doesn't hold any meaning because they aren't real though. Especially for a property renowned for being satire.

Edit: I'm not saying they are a stand-in for the Jewish people. The background for her and the rest of her craft world, which has been destroyed, makes it clear that they are refugees trying to find a new home.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Taear posted:

Honestly yea levelling in this is awful. Pillars 1 had a sort of similar issue where about half way to max you'd be "done" and just picking randomly and I almost feel like that here.

I thought Pillars had a really great leveling system. Have you considered that maybe the rest of your life is too exhausting to also want to engage with new, dense rpg mechanics? Sometimes, people just want something comforting after a long day, and reading paragraphs of rules text isn't what they need.

I've been there. Other times, something crunchy like this is exactly what I want. It really doesn't sound like you are in the headspace to enjoy an owlcat game, and that's OK.

If the idea of googling for help is too much, maybe take a break?

Edit: I understand wanting to beat a game, but you are clearly not able to interface with its systems right now if you can't beat fights on the easiest difficulty while thinking you've taken all of the good abilities. Even if you drag yourself to the end, what have you proven?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 10, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

Patch Notes

Does that AP cost fix completely wreck the Pasqal plasma build? With the AP recharge talent on an Officer's HM he could attack 11 times.

1ap flamer attacks were costing 0ap with the talent, despite it saying minimum 1 on the tooltip. You could take dozens of shots with an officer ult.

The Lone Badger posted:

The notable one I think would be AM’s Wildfire?

Wildfire isn't a talent, but maybe?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Tolth posted:

I wonder how many people finally gave up on 3.5 because of the Owlcat games. I'd been a holdout for at least a decade, but then I did the Playful Darkness fight and I was finally able to process that 3.5 doesn't need to be run ever again. It really helped me to move on

I enjoyed kingmaker and Wrath, but it really cemented that I never want to play 3.x ever again. Especially in person. The extremely bad npc builds perfectly replicated my experience carrying other people's poo poo builds in pen and paper games. The buffing was less obnoxious than pen and paper because the computer tracked everything (and adjusted automatically when someone casts dispel!) yet was still annoying busy work. Encounter design felt like one of the GMs I played with back in the day. The really nailed the entire experience.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

40k is satire if the fascists are wrong despite being in charge of the setting.

40k is nazi propaganda if the fascist/dogmatic approach is the correct one.

The game is satire but a whole lot of people wish it was propaganda.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Does anyone know what triggers the master of munitions losing their poo poo after the prologue? It is a free 3 alignment points that you just don't get occasionally. I'm thinking it is possibly due to your background but I'm not sure.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Servetus posted:

Illustrious Glory has Hime keep his cool. Feat of Greatness gets you 3 alignment points. Not sure about Apex of Brilliance, haven't used that in character generation yet.

Thanks for this. I wonder if it evens out later on. I wouldn't worry so much but my last playthrough made it clear that there aren't enough points to max anything out, so it feels like every point you can get is important.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

He's an Operative though, and they're the worst class by a large margin.

Lol, lmfao at this take

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

I find those DLC release dates to be very optimistic given its been over 2 years and they still havent put out all the DLC for Pathfinder: Wrath.

I thought they did put out all of the originally planned DLC for Wrath, it was just so successful that they are doing another round of DLC.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is on sale on steam and I'm interested in playing it, but all the reviews I have read mention it having more bugs than the Tyranids. Has that largely been fixed over time?

My current playthrough is nearly through act 2 and so far I've met three Tyranids and encountered two bugs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ilitarist posted:

I have a growing suspicion that Bounty Hunter bonuses do not work at the moment. I can't see anything on character screen about effects from bounty hunting. Also every enemy icon is marked with "VII". I think it's supposed to be rank for the bounty hunter and I think they should be more varied?..

It works fine. Right click your attacks in the combat log, it'll show up there.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Mordecai posted:

I don't use another psyker except Cassia who I think doesn't count, and actually has a talent to lower degradation when she uses offensive powers. By the way, Cassia's suddenly able to use those twice, but the second time triggers a small amount of direct self-damage. I have no idea why; her origin and homeworld are weird (not sure if the latter's supposed to be an in-universe redaction for some reason). When she got Held in My Gaze it came with a passive talent, which I don't think is right?

https://imgur.com/a/THK9OR7

You equipped a staff that lets you attack twice. Read the item description to learn more.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Who do people prefer to take to Commoragh? Any stand out companions that make the experience more pleasant or add more story lore than the others?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My GS just drops down the zone that reduces enemy dodge reduction (and action point cost for attacks once you get the talent) and doubles its effectiveness with the active ability so my sniper assassin one-shots even more things while standing in it. It's Pasqal, so he spends the rest of the fight hanging out in the zone murdering enemies with plasma.

The talent that refunds action points when you use multiple abilities on a zone is also pretty nice. Pasqal can use every single buff and debuff while also making an aoe attack.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Advancing the bureaucracy scene by opening fire into the crowd was perfect lmao

Anyway I always dump the strategist zones on the first turn then forget. The extra damage is good for Yrilet who rarely if ever has to move anyway. I probably would do more but by the time Pasqal is through his attack, mechandrite, ability loop I'm out of points for the turn anyway

The talent that refunds your ap when you buff the same zone multiple times works multiple times per turn, so you can get all of the buffs for a single ap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Taear posted:

Yea like I say it's a commonly used trope but this was IDENTICAL
And it's PF adventure that get published monthly, plenty of turnaround time for it to be inspired by it

You are greatly underestimating the turnaround time on adventure modules.

They had a revision come out in November, the details of which should have been internally available even earlier, and this month's adventure still hasn't taken any of the changes into account because the adventure needs to be finalized so far in advance of publishing.