Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I never listened to Serial, but everyone says it's a big deal, hugely important for the history of true crime dramas... but no one ever says if it's *good*.

Still worth listening to in TYOOL 2022?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it isn't important to me either way

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Izzhov posted:

I never listened to Serial, but everyone says it's a big deal, hugely important for the history of true crime dramas... but no one ever says if it's *good*.

you could listen to it and decide for yourself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

s1 he did the murder

s2 is about a stupid us marine or something and is really funny and bad

s3 was about some random court cases poo poo, absolute bollocks

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I've listened to the first "case" a few times, it'll leave you unsatisfied because real life sucks and is muddled. Can't remember the second, or if I finished it even.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ya its pretty good OP, i like golden grams :classiclol:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm biased because I'm Asian but a small segment of the first season really bothered me. The host was so surprised and delighted that the girl, Hae Min Lee, was such a normal teen girl. Like she expected Asian girls to lead compeltely different lives even though they live in the US. Yeah she liked boy bands and hanging out at malls. Why is that a surprise. It's like when white people are amazed that minorities can speak English.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

They’re bad, OP. it’s like how they turn what would be a tight/good 30minute-1 hour documentary into a bloated incomprehensible 10 part “mini”series with lots of unnecessary faux drama and worthless interstitial interviews with a lot of “hmmm? Hmmm!”blabber. Honestly, just read the wiki entry for each event and you’re just as well informed but saved yourself about 10 hours

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Nope, it gets soggy really quickly hahahaha. Get it? like the cereal food? lmao oh jeez

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

They’re bad, OP. it’s like how they turn what would be a tight/good 30minute-1 hour documentary into a bloated incomprehensible 10 part “mini”series with lots of unnecessary faux drama and worthless interstitial interviews with a lot of “hmmm? Hmmm!”blabber. Honestly, just read the wiki entry for each event and you’re just as well informed but saved yourself about 10 hours

Serious post: I noticed that Serial started a trend where the narrator tells the story of how they discovered and felt about the story and it's about the experience of the narrator rather than the story itself.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bar88537 posted:

Serious post: I noticed that Serial started a trend where the narrator tells the story of how they discovered and felt about the story and it's about the experience of the narrator rather than the story itself.

:agreed:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I love season 1, I think it's great, I've listened to it three times

but I accept that reality doesn't make sense and I feel no need to impose the illusion of order or meaning onto a stochastic universe
if that's not you, you might not like it

if you can reconcile with the simple reality that cause cannot be retroactively determined by examining effect, serial season 1 is a compelling exploration of how messy and nonsensical real world mysteries actually are, where (minor, vague spoilers) the man who discovers a dead body turns out to be a serial sex offender with a history of indecent exposure, but this has nothing to do with the murder, an emotional and evocative clifftop confession turns out to probably have never happened, an extremely important phone call was placed on a parking lot payphone that might never have existed, a child witness with a very specific and unlikely story bullishly recants and denies that he ever made such a claim, a famously competent defense attorney appears to have quietly been consumed by her own mystery drowning in debt and neglecting her casework for unknown reasons, and federal agents solemnly affirm to the reporter investigating that the truth has almost no bearing on the outcome of a case.

I like to compare it to the movie Mulholland Drive- it has all the feel of a mystery, but none of the satisfying answers

if you prefer concrete answers, the good version of Serial is an hbo documentary called The Jinx, and it's satisfying because the people making it knowingly sat on evidence and willfully obfuscated information to make the audience believe that the reality was more uncertain than it actually was

Cubone fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brother Tadger posted:

housewives LOVE it!!!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I listened to the first season and they never said if he really did it or not

I also listened to their offshoot about the racist school district but dropped it around episode 4

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Id' be kinda like this matters to me and then making life choices so it didn't any more.

like just bad news, bad poo poo to be caring about this literal poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bar88537 posted:

it’s narcissistic navel gazing shite

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there should be a podcast where they discuss different kinds of oranges called 'navel gazing'

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

there should be a podcast where they discuss different kinds of oranges called 'navel gazing'

this is a good joke

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm biased because I'm Asian but a small segment of the first season really bothered me. The host was so surprised and delighted that the girl, Hae Min Lee, was such a normal teen girl. Like she expected Asian girls to lead compeltely different lives even though they live in the US. Yeah she liked boy bands and hanging out at malls. Why is that a surprise. It's like when white people are amazed that minorities can speak English.

Yeah, as a fellow Asian the entire series might as well be "Brown people have inner lives and dual personas whaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Why are people always gettin’ the hots for their research topics?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its the story of liberal arts white lady falling in love with tough prison brown man even though he is a legit murderer

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Cereal is better.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
I continue to listen to S-Town the whole way through every couple years, that's some of the same people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cubone posted:

if you can reconcile with the simple reality that cause cannot be retroactively determined by examining effect, serial season 1 is a compelling exploration of how messy and nonsensical real world mysteries actually are, where (minor, vague spoilers) the man who discovers a dead body turns out to be a serial sex offender with a history of indecent exposure, but this has nothing to do with the murder, an emotional and evocative clifftop confession turns out to probably have never happened, an extremely important phone call was placed on a parking lot payphone that might never have existed, a child witness with a very specific and unlikely story bullishly recants and denies that he ever made such a claim, a famously competent defense attorney appears to have quietly been consumed by her own mystery drowning in debt and neglecting her casework for unknown reasons, and federal agents solemnly affirm to the reporter investigating that the truth has almost no bearing on the outcome of a case.

This is a good summary, OP, inasmuch as if you find any of these factoids super interesting Serial is probably for you, but also you're just factually wrong

I live in the neighborhood season 1 is all about so every NPR totebag I meet hears the name Leakin Park and goes through the same little dance where they want to talk to me about Serial and then immediately realize there's nothing to say about Serial

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 6, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bar88537 posted:

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Why are people always gettin’ the hots for their research topics?

These two are pretty good sentiments on my memory of Serial. I don't remember the weird Asian novelty fawning, but I'm white as hell so that's probably on me.

If you want a good season-long crime drama, OP, try American Vandal.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Serial Mom? For some reason I watched that VHS like a dozen times as a child. Probably hosed me up. One of Johmn Waters' best

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
always felt a kinship with the alcoholic streaker school janitor

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hear this wall movie has toads in it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it is, thank you.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

olylifter posted:

I continue to listen to S-Town the whole way through every couple years, that's some of the same people

I did like this one.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I heard an ad for a true crime podcast where a guy talks about the death of his sister in law, and the ad had this dramatic lurid music. It made me kinda sick that this guy would try to use the death of his brother's wife to create some lovely sensational story and try to make some money broadcasting his lovely podcast to so many people, Serial is really to blame for that pathetic nonsense.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
This American Life got really bad after she left to do serial, not that it was very good before but it had a good story once in awhile

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hot date tonight! posted:

This American Life got really bad after she left to do serial, not that it was very good before but it had a good story once in awhile

TAL just can’t hold my interest anymore. I don’t know if I outgrew it or if it just became worse.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Caesar Saladin posted:

I heard an ad for a true crime podcast where a guy talks about the death of his sister in law, and the ad had this dramatic lurid music. It made me kinda sick that this guy would try to use the death of his brother's wife to create some lovely sensational story and try to make some money broadcasting his lovely podcast to so many people, Serial is really to blame for that pathetic nonsense.

But before we get into the details of my sister-in-law’s death I want to take a moment to talk to you about MeUndies.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
to catc a theif

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Sometimes you need a break, and sometimes that break is a clean one and you never look back

Homo Biden
Jun 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
I need 2 or 3 people on a podcast or youtube video to tell me about the movies I will never end up watching.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Izzhov posted:

what's with your shithouse of an avatar

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Caesar Saladin posted:

its the story of liberal arts white lady falling in love with tough prison brown man even though he is a legit murderer

My wife is listening to Season 1 for the first time and asked me if they end up dating. I never picked up on those vibes the first time I listened to it, but they must be pretty strong.

I loved Season 1 the first time I heard it, dropped out of Season 2 almost immediately and never went back. Season 1 is still pretty good from the bits I'm listening to again with my wife, but there have been better true crime podcasts since then. There's also the assumption that the listener knows nothing about the legal system. I think that was probably true at the time, but nowadays people devour true crime stuff and could definitely skip through a lot of the basics that get discussed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I thought it sucked and didn't finish it op