Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I glanced through the posts here, did...everyone miss that Syed's conviction was overturned and he's being released?

https://apnews.com/article/baltimor..._source=Twitter

The person bumping a months old thread didn't, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Eh. Whatever. He served twenty and probably isn't gonna murder again. That poo poo mattered alot more a hundred years ago when Serial aired and we weren't starring down World War III and the next super plague.

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Thundercracker posted:

Eh. Whatever. He served twenty and probably isn't gonna murder again. That poo poo mattered alot more a hundred years ago when Serial aired and we weren't starring down World War III and the next super plague.

Uh, we have never not been doing that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I personally think he's guilty or, at the very least, knows something vital to the case and refuses to speak about it for some reason. And Sarah Koenig is either infatuated with Adnan or views herself as his white savior, either way it didn't let her be objective on a LOT of facts in the case.

But this is still absolutely the right move; Adnan was definitely a victim of the state wanting to close a case quickly through whatever methods were available.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the truest crime here is your posting op

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A Fancy Hat posted:

I personally think he's guilty or, at the very least, knows something vital to the case and refuses to speak about it for some reason. And Sarah Koenig is either infatuated with Adnan or views herself as his white savior, either way it didn't let her be objective on a LOT of facts in the case.

I don't buy the infatuation (although it's not great journalism to discuss with a suspect that you to believe them), but there's no story if it's not a miscarriage of justice. I wonder what the production history of Serial was like - did they go in sure they'd uncover injustice and then had to try and make a story out of it?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yeah, plus it’s a mighty big hand wave to gloss over how the victim’s family refused to participate in the podcast and they went forward with it anyway as an entertainment product. In stories about Adnan’s release the victim’s family is obviously enraged that her murder was turned into a career maker for Koenig and is associated with Best Buy pay phones and Mail Chimp.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Adnan accidentally killed her in a consensual choking encounter but was embarrassed to tell the true story.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Strange Poon posted:

I had zero interest in Serial and never listened to it but watched the HBO documentary. Why are so many people convinced here so convinced he did it?

People love to be contrarians, any time anyone’s conviction is overturned a bunch of online morons go “he actually did it though”, and the more famous a case is, the more people do it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Listening to it now, and lol that multiple people being talked to were like "well the justice system found him guilty so he must have done it".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Listening to the new episode that was just released about him being released...

https://twitter.com/wemetintheair/status/1571963358601162754

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The new episode is up, BTW. Looks like the prosecution behavior was even worse than we knew and there is another suspect who is in jail now for a sexual assault he did after the trial (who is probably about to get doxxed by reddit detectives any minute now)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Strange Poon posted:

I had zero interest in Serial and never listened to it but watched the HBO documentary. Why are so many people convinced here so convinced he did it?

most people are familiar with the details of the case from Serial, a podcast which did very little to cast doubt on the evidence he got convicted on, and presented the whole thing like a little parlor mystery where there was only one possible character who coulda done it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The police stopped looking after catching the killer? Not a good look, detectives!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i remember being all in on the adnan innocence train til they got to the episode where they interviewed his friend who i think had allegedly helped him move the corpse or something? and the few episodes before that ol' sarah was going on and on about how this fella was the missing link that would help explain everything, but he's being evasive!

and then they got in touch with him, did an interview, he sounded completely credible offered reasonable explanations for things and concluded that adnan did it. oh.

on top of that the fact that he was never able to recall the details of where he was the day she went missing never sat right. i think on the show they say something like "but if you're just going about your life, normal boring day, and you were asked about it two weeks later you probably wouldn't be able to!" i'm one of the most forgetful idiot knuckleheads ever, and i could totally sit down for 5 minutes and figure it out

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s overpriced but the generic stuff is actually tastier.

:mods:

Ban this poster for spewing this mom propaganda bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Strange Poon posted:

I listened to the podcast and watched the HBO documentary. The HBO doc is a collaboration with Rabia Chaudry, the attorney and family friend who is convinced of his innocence.

So many parts of the story are really sad because ACAB and the justice system is a racist mess, but the fatal flaw is that they use that to overshadow the actual murder. A girl was murdered and her family hates us for even talking about it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, plus it’s a mighty big hand wave to gloss over how the victim’s family refused to participate in the podcast and they went forward with it anyway as an entertainment product. In stories about Adnan’s release the victim’s family is obviously enraged that her murder was turned into a career maker for Koenig and is associated with Best Buy pay phones and Mail Chimp.

They had moved back to South Korea! Their statement said it was horribly painful for them to talk about and that a 6 hour podcast about the murder of their daughter with a bunch of gotchas and what if's doesn't change what they saw in the hundreds of hours they spent in courtrooms.

Put another way, by the family of Ron Goldman (the other guy OJ Simpson murdered) when the FX show came out a few years ago:
"I don't know what the probative value is of the show—it's everywhere all over again and people are all, ‘Oh, the acting is riveting and this is such a great plot line,' and I'm thinking these are murders. It's very confusing to us because this is not entertainment…This show just kind of ripped the Band-Aid right back off, poured gallons of salt in it,"

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
Yes, it is good that we are getting a re-trial here, because the original proceedings were awful & a clear miscarriage of justice.

Yes, Adnan Syed in all likelihood *did* do the murder.

https://theintercept.com/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/ **

Jay Wilds did not come to the conclusion that Syed did the murder, he seems to be quite certain of it. He was upset that Syed revealed the body-in-the-trunk in to him front of his grandmother's house, blackmailing him into helping him bury it. Once Wilds got reassurances from the police that they weren't interested in his petty weed dealing he went ahead and threw Syed under a bus. If someone was pretty clearly grooming me to take the rap for a murder they'd committed I'd get irked also!

It looks like there's some energy in getting someone already stuck in prison to take the blame for the murder, which is usually the easiest way out in a situation like this. Syed is something of a public figure now and unlikely to straight up murder anybody.

As far as the whole discussion goes, the thing that really bugs me is this notion that a murder committed as a teenager-- "in a fit of rage, c'mon!" -- shouldn't ruin a young man's entire life. I kinda think that it should. Like, where the hell are we getting this notion like "Who amongst us *hasn't* strangled their high school girlfriend in a fit of rage?" Dude got an unfair trial, he gets a new trial. That was the only miscarriage of justice I'm aware of. The actual murder was unforgivable, right... right? I'm not really aware of any mitigating circumstances to justify the killing, no matter who did it -- she wasn't, like, traffiking minors or anything as far as I know.

**Sorry to link to anything vaguely related to Glenn Greenwald, the Intercept just happened to scoop this one a few years back.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i assume none of us knew her personally, so we can only really speculate as to how much hae min lee deserved to be murdered

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

mmmm posted:

It looks like there's some energy in getting someone already stuck in prison to take the blame for the murder, which is usually the easiest way out in a situation like this. Syed is something of a public figure now and unlikely to straight up murder anybody.

Yeah it’s super easy to get out of a situation like this, just find a guy who is in prison for a similar crime and has his dna all over the victim. It’s what these “wrongfully convicted” guys always do!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Why is it called Serial if he only killed one person, that's like the lamest serial killer of all time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She knew he was going to get out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Serial season one was a very addictive and maddening listen, I felt icky afterward to have craved entertainment from someone's murder. Sarah Koenig is an awful person, and murder entertainment is made by awful people for other awful people.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

doctorfrog posted:

Serial season one was a very addictive and maddening listen, I felt icky afterward to have craved entertainment from someone's murder. Sarah Koenig is an awful person, and murder entertainment is made by awful people for other awful people.

A particularly bad one was the HBO series on the Golden State Killer, where a large amount of the content was Patton Oswalt discussing how he met his wife. They then recapped every detail from a crime scene in a creepy voyeuristic way and you got the vibe if the show creators could make the murders interactive in VR they would.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the best cereal is crispix

i bet i could eat a whole box of crispix (in bowl w/ whole milk obvs)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

kntfkr posted:

Crispix is P good. Shredded Wheat is awesome too.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Really, the season they did (or I guess they just produced but considered an independent entity) on the Trojan Horse Affair in the UK was equally frustrating. They weren't able to get interviews with some of the most key people, and they unfolded the story in a way that was more designed to keep up the hook than to elucidate the issue. There was a tremendously clear thesis for that series, about how racism in the UK can cause people to accept outrageous lies about Muslims, but the way the story was told kept on adding "but then again..." moments that diluted their point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Serial was good, but then they milked it for too long, and now it is just mushy crap!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

most people are familiar with the details of the case from Serial, a podcast which did very little to cast doubt on the evidence he got convicted on, and presented the whole thing like a little parlor mystery where there was only one possible character who coulda done it.

canyoneer posted:

I listened to the podcast and watched the HBO documentary. The HBO doc is a collaboration with Rabia Chaudry, the attorney and family friend who is convinced of his innocence.

So many parts of the story are really sad because ACAB and the justice system is a racist mess, but the fatal flaw is that they use that to overshadow the actual murder. A girl was murdered and her family hates us for even talking about it.

They had moved back to South Korea! Their statement said it was horribly painful for them to talk about and that a 6 hour podcast about the murder of their daughter with a bunch of gotchas and what if's doesn't change what they saw in the hundreds of hours they spent in courtrooms.

Put another way, by the family of Ron Goldman (the other guy OJ Simpson murdered) when the FX show came out a few years ago:
"I don't know what the probative value is of the show—it's everywhere all over again and people are all, ‘Oh, the acting is riveting and this is such a great plot line,' and I'm thinking these are murders. It's very confusing to us because this is not entertainment…This show just kind of ripped the Band-Aid right back off, poured gallons of salt in it,"

Ahh okay, I think I understand now, thank you.

Pony Jabroni
Feb 27, 2016

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever
i mean, them overturning the case doesn't mean he's innocent. in this case, it was found that the prosecution withheld evidence that COULD have helped the defense, which doesn't necessarily mean they withheld something that completely exonerated him. its a technicality and certainly doesn't make the prosecutors look good, but they have a month to decide if they want to try him again. even then, if they don't try him it doesn't mean innocence, only that prosecutors don't have enough to prove he did it without reasonable doubt.

that said, i never did listen to serial or know much about the case despite partaking in some true crime media.

i will say a much better podcast would be in the dark. specifically because they tend to cover cases of true crime where the police and prosecutors gently caress up everything they can. the curtis flowers seasons was especially infuriating, and evidence that they gathered for the show was used to finally exonerate him with prejudice after being tried 6 times. its excellent journalism and really fuels the ol' ACAB engines.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just listen to last podcast on the left, it's garbage but at least it's entertaining.

I tried a Canadian true crime podcast before but had to quit it cause the lady running it was smooching cops too much

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thranguy posted:

Someone had to have done it and there are no other plausible suspects.

Which shouldn't be enough to convict, but is enough to draw a conclusion.

There are two other suspects that they didn't really look into. Remember kids, cops don't want to solve crimes they just want to close cases.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 21, 2022

Womblemania
Sep 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

kntfkr posted:

this is very true

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

TAL just can’t hold my interest anymore. I don’t know if I outgrew it or if it just became worse.

IMO it's been ungood for a real long time. I mean, I dunno what it's like now because I stopped listening like seven years ago, but it was at its best when it was a mostly light, charming collection of fiction and nonfiction related to how idiosyncratic Americans can be. When I left the show, it had transitioned to poo poo like Ira solemnly intoning:

"15 men, all veterans, abandoned by their families and country alike, all dying of cancer, formed a community in an abandoned mall. What happened next was all too predictable; the mall flooded, driving the veterans out, out into world that had exiled them, where it was quickly discovered they were all convicted pedophiles. Then the mall burned down because the flood water was so polluted that it could do that; Wet-Blaze the locals called the phenomenon, until they also died of cancer caused by carcinogens in the mall smoke. Now no one calls it anything. No one but their orphaned children, and the lone surviving pedophile veteran who has sworn to take care of them all. But that's just where the story begins; for the next three weeks we will be following it through to the bitter end. I'm Ira Glass and this is... White Yuppie Bummer Hour."

Like, the older episodes could get heavy too, but they'd sandwich that poo poo between a story about a man who is getting into the highly competitive tortoise lookalike circuit, and a David Sedaris story about a small clown named Borfo.

E: Also season 1 of Serial was ok.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 21, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It was the first podcast ever to exist so it is important in that sense.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It was the first podcast ever to exist so it is important in that sense.

it came from the first website, so this makes sense

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Did adnan do it? He had a clear and compelling motive, was the last person to see the victim alive, had a witness who alleged he helped him bury the body, had no other people with anything close to a convincing motive except for some nomadic serial killer they never caught and aren't sure even exists and doesn't fit the MO but some girl in the library vaguely recalls seeing him and the dude who was a witness was black and sold weed a couple times so who knows?

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 21, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
what I remember about Serial was in season 2 they interviewed some black ops guy for like 3 minutes about cool black ops poo poo then just dropped it

i used to like this podcast called This Is Actually Happening because it was stories about wild poo poo people went through, like escaping a cult, or surviving pirates attacking a cargo ship you're working on. But now it is just stories of people telling about profound and horrible abuse and tragedy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Casefile was nice, dry, and factual true crime, but I haven't listened to it in a couple of years. Is it still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Serial Mom? For some reason I watched that VHS like a dozen times as a child. Probably hosed me up. One of Johmn Waters' best

WHITE SHOES

AFTER LABOR DAY