Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Polly Pickpocket posted:

First para - the police went after Adnan and found out Jay borrowed his car and phone that day. He's stated that he was scared the police would arrest him for dealing. I don't know about anyone's motivations after that, all I'm saying is the circumstances are dodgy AF.

Second para - I don't know, but that particular force was proven to be institutionally corrupt and we already know they withheld evidence from the defence. So I don't trust them.

Ultimately, either Adnan did it and he's been let off because of lovely policing, or he didn't do it and the real culprit has never been put in prison. Neither option means Hae's got justice, which is disgusting.

I don't think that you have a plausible theory of the crime. I don't see a likely reason why Jay would falsely implicate himself and Adnan in the murder of Adnan's ex-girlfriend.

Alternate Theory 1: I don't believe that e.g. Jay killed Adnan's ex-girlfriend and was trying to pin it on Adnan. Where is the motive for Jay to kill Adnan's ex-girlfriend?

Alternate Theory 2: If you believe that there is absolutely no truth to Jay's testimony--it was 100% made up by the cops and Jay was forced under coercion by the police to implicate himself and Adnan in the murder of Adnan's ex-girlfriend, then you also have to believe things like:

1) the below sequence of police interviews in the case files was a false flag operation

silence_kit posted:

- Police pull Adnan's cell phone call logs, and find a call to/from Jenn.
- Jenn was approached by police, and first didn't say anything
- Jenn came back with a lawyer, and said that Jay told her that Adnan killed his ex-girlfriend
- Police interview Jay, who says that Adnan killed his ex-girlfriend

2) Jenn's personal lawyer advised her to potentially implicate herself in the crime, to lie, and to go along with the police conspiracy to frame Adnan

3) Jay did not actually lead the cops to Adnan's ex-girlfriend's car. Multiple people in the Baltimore police department earlier found her car, conspired to hide the car, only to have Jay reveal it at an opportune time to support the case

I'm sorry, but I don't find that believable at all. You've really got to be ideologically committed to Adnan's innocence to believe stuff like that. If you do believe stuff like that, then why didn't the police just plant Adnan's DNA all over the crime scene? If you believe in stuff like that, there is no amount of evidence that could convince you that Adnan committed the crime.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm starting to understand why true crime "community" is universally maligned as weird freaks, thanks thread!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think you should be a little more honest about why you do not like my posts. I suspect that the real reason why you don't like them is because they aren't unambiguously anti-cop.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
no you've resurrected the worst part of Serial, bored white people coming up with labyrinthine theories and using it to argue about politics!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I absolutely think he did it, because the podcast and Sarah Koenig's unrequited love are a lot funnier that way and I'd prefer it to be like that.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

no you've resurrected the worst part of Serial, bored white people coming up with labyrinthine theories and using it to argue about politics!

I think their objection (not yours, but theirs) is that my posts have the WRONG politics, not that they involve politics.

My speculation about why Adnan was released is indeed speculation, but it can easily be disproven if more information about the investigation gets released. I am very skeptical though that we will hear anything more about the investigation when the press about Adnan being released dies down however.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

silence_kit posted:

I think their objection (not yours, but theirs) is that my posts have the WRONG politics, not that they involve politics.

My speculation about why Adnan was released is indeed speculation, but it can easily be disproven if more information about the investigation gets released. I am very skeptical though that we will hear anything more about the investigation when the press about Adnan being released dies down however.

I haven't mentioned a single thing about politics in this thread. You're posting multi-page screeds with elaborate point-by-point breakdowns on your personal theory about this murder, based on what even you admit is an incomplete amount of information. That's gross and weird. This woman's murder was a tragedy, it isn't some argument you can actually win. Hence...

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm starting to understand why true crime "community" is universally maligned as weird freaks, thanks thread!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Me in this thread: People still remember things from 2015 somehow? Completely wild

I feel bad for the dead teen's family.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LanceHunter posted:

You're posting multi-page screeds with elaborate point-by-point breakdowns on your personal theory about this murder, based on what even you admit is an incomplete amount of information. That's gross and weird. This woman's murder was a tragedy, it isn't some argument you can actually win. Hence...

Caring about a thing enough to articulate specifics? What a sick loser!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

LanceHunter posted:

I haven't mentioned a single thing about politics in this thread. You're posting multi-page screeds with elaborate point-by-point breakdowns on your personal theory about this murder, based on what even you admit is an incomplete amount of information. That's gross and weird. This woman's murder was a tragedy, it isn't some argument you can actually win. Hence...

You made a post about how it is politically incorrect to create narratives surrounding Adnan about how he was an honors student and his mom thinks that he is a great guy, so how could he be capable of committing the crime?

It’s not my own personal theory about the murder. It’s the theory of the prosecution of the original case.

If you REALLY believe that Hae Min Lee’s murder was a tragedy, then I think you should be a little disgusted in the way Adnan was released. Hae Min Lee’s family is objecting to it, as they should be.

The new prosecutor is basically just stopping short at saying that he was innocent but is offering extremely flimsy justifications for it. They didn’t find his DNA on a pair of shoes and instead found 4 other people’s DNA? What? Was it other suspects’ DNA? “No comment.” I question whether they are really investigating alternate suspects.

They should have just honestly said: “Adnan has done enough time for his crime, given that he was only a juvenile” and released him. I would have been ok with that.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gas and ban imo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
what in the sam hell is going on in here

is there any news or is it people just theorizing stuff

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The news says you did it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

some guy cracked the only case he's heard of from a neighborhood that sees a murder or two a year and is now triggering us all with facts and logic, I'd say that's newsworthy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Who killed her?

Was it the recent ex-boyfriend who told people he was going to kill her? The one who's friend saw the body and helped bury it and told multiple people about it and how he was scared of Adnan before the police talked to him and knew where the car was before the police?

Or was it someone else?

:iiam:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jose Valasquez posted:

Who killed her?

:iiam:

Alec Baldwin probably.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Something something information that will lead to the arrest of Hilary Clinton something.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

what exactly were people expecting the discussion to be about

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dude almost assuredly did it, but spent over 20 years in the american prison system and the prosecution commited some pretty clear Brady violations. Release seems like the right and ethical decision.

Edit: Though I agree that framing it as due to emergent exculpatory evidence reeks of rear end protecting.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

I absolutely think he did it, because the podcast and Sarah Koenig's unrequited love are a lot funnier that way and I'd prefer it to be like that.

She's embarrassingly horny for Adnan during the podcast; and her producer(intern?) is like, "gross"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Crespolini posted:

what exactly were people expecting the discussion to be about

I don't know, but it's loving tedious and stupid that people who don't like true crime podcasts feel the need to let us all know that, in a thread about a famous true crime podcast

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

fishing with the fam posted:

Edit: Though I agree that framing it as due to emergent exculpatory evidence reeks of rear end protecting.

Yeah, Adnan's 'exoneration' is very likely a publicity stunt.

edit: It could have been a ploy to look good for a jury. The State's Attorney for Baltimore is currently indicted for federal fraud and perjury charges. Initially, her trial was scheduled for Sept. 16, and got postponed to March 23rd 2023. The motion to vacate Adnan's sentence was filed right before the jury selection was scheduled to take place for the now-delayed September 16th trial.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 16, 2022

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Devils advocate: If they don't have enough evidence to keep him, even though he probably did it, isn't it worth throwing out this alternate DNA theory to give him some chance at rehabilitation and a normal life?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Idk, do a pod abt it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

Devils advocate: If they don't have enough evidence to keep him, even though he probably did it, isn't it worth throwing out this alternate DNA theory to give him some chance at rehabilitation and a normal life?

After the trial you don't need extra evidence to maintain a verdict.

Plus he's never going to have a normal life because he's a murderer.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I don't know, but it's loving tedious and stupid that people who don't like true crime podcasts feel the need to let us all know that, in a thread about a famous true crime podcast

sorta my point kinda

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

moths posted:

After the trial you don't need extra evidence to maintain a verdict.

Plus he's never going to have a normal life because he's a murderer.

please, he's going to have his own hit podcast within a year

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Crespolini posted:

sorta my point kinda

I was agreeing with you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he's definitely learned some new and exciting techniques from his 20 years in prison to murder his next girlfriend, I can't wait to see what he does next

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
To the people saying 20 years is enough if he did it…no?? He took someone’s whole rear end life!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i mean she could have gotten hit by a car later that day and lingered on in pain for a few months. we cant ever know for sure, seems messed up to take 20+ years from a person just because they took a few weeks from someone else.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

remigious posted:

To the people saying 20 years is enough if he did it…no?? He took someone’s whole rear end life!

On top of that the murder very much was first degree murder. It was premediated and deliberate.

On the other hand, Adnan was only a 17 year old kid when he killed his ex-girlfriend. I tend to agree that we should not treat the actions of minors with the same level of culpability as an adult. They don't have the same level of judgment as adults. Serving 20 years in prison for the crime I don't think is unfair.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

Him spending his entire life in jail isn't gonna bring Hae back. If he has been rehabilitated and is unlikely to be a danger to society he should be released.

Considering he hasn't admitted to doing it there isn't a lot of evidence he's rehabilitated though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

She could have gone on to kill five people so Adnan just answered a trolley problem, which is to get an exonerating podcast

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

love adnan or hate him, you have to admit that thanks to the butterfly effect 9/11 would have gone very differently had he not did what he did. maybe better, maybe worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
20 years isn't unreasonable, from a quick search in the UK someone under 18 could be out in 12 years for murder. Maybe a bit more for premediated but not by much:

https://fullfact.org/crime/how-long-do-murderers-serve-prison/

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Average jail time for first-degree murder in Maryland is 17 years according to this website:

https://bflawmd.com/average-maximum-jail-time-common-crimes/

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I was agreeing with you

oh yeah? well i was agreeing with you, tough guy

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
We should make him promise not to do it again.
If he does, we'll let him know we're very cross with him and he's not allowed McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Crespolini posted:

oh yeah? well i was agreeing with you, tough guy

Them's agreein' words, mister. You wanna take this outside, it's a really nice day and we could get coffee