Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

season 2 was very funny because of how stupid bergdhal was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

apple doesn't even make ipods anymore. why the h*ck are they called podcasts????

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
get this

now they're called podcasts, but they're recorded as video and broadcast on youtube

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Has anyone listened to the new one in the feed with the antivaxx family?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hold up these nuts :smug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hold up these nuts :smug:

nice

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Here's an article on the piece of evidence, interview notes supposedly withheld from Adnan's defense team, which purportedly would have totally changed the outcome of his trial. This evidence is claimed to be the basis for the vacation of Adnan's conviction--it was claimed that his trial was was unfair because the defense was not made aware of this piece of evidence.

The note is actually pretty ambiguous and has other stuff on it which suggests' Adnan's involvement in the crime. It's not clear that it actually establishes a motive for an alternate suspect.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/...HPJW7KJLWZGCIQ/

I feel pretty confident now in saying that there never really was any reinvestigation into the murder of Adnan's ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, and Adnan's release was purely a political stunt by Baltimore State's Attorney Office. The press releases about the DNA tests and alternate suspects were just to provide cover for their decision to release him.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0328/1366907-adnan-syed-murder-serial/

ladies and gentlemen.... we got him... again

quote:

Murder conviction of 'Serial' subject Adnan Syed reinstated

A Maryland appeals court has reinstated the murder conviction of Adnan Syed, who was found guilty of the 1999 killing of his former girlfriend in a case that drew attention after the podcast "Serial" raised doubts about his guilt.

After an investigation identified problems with the case, a circuit court judge last year vacated Syed's conviction in the murder of Hae Min Lee and ordered his release. He had served more than 20 years in prison.

The judge left it to prosecutors to decide whether to retry him and they decided to drop the case.

This evening, a Maryland appellate court panel, in a 2-1 decision, ordered a new hearing into the matter, saying the lower court had violated the right of the victim's family to attend a critical hearing in the case.

"This Court has the power and obligation to remedy those violations, as long we can do so without violating Mr Syed's right to be free from double jeopardy," the panel said in its ruling.

"Accordingly, we vacate the circuit court's order vacating Mr Syed's convictions, which results in the reinstatement of the original convictions and sentence," it said.

The panel did not specifically order Syed back to prison, but allowed for a two-month delay in the "mandate" of its decision to allow the parties "time to assess how to proceed."

Syed has maintained he was innocent and did not kill Hae Min Lee, who was 18 when she was strangled and buried in a Baltimore park.

The podcast "Serial," produced by Chicago public radio station WBEZ, drew national attention to the case in 2014.

An attorney for Syed could not be immediately reached for comment.

Prosecutors filed a motion last September to vacate the conviction after conducting a year-long investigation alongside a public defender representing Syed.

Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Melissa Phinn subsequently ordered Syed to be released from prison, where he was serving a life sentence.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

He’s so guilty, lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adnan did it, you say?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I didn’t realize that having the victims’ family attend the court hearings was like, a vital part of the legal process

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's no way they had enough evidence to convict, but also, there's no way he didn't do it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Serial dropped 8 episodes into their feed all at once this morning. I thought Sarah Koenig was having some kind of meltdown, but it turns out it was their re-hosting of the New York Times podcast The Coldest Case in Laramie. Not great timing on their part, particularly since the episodes didn't have titles or descriptions when they were first added to the feed.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

ElGroucho posted:

There's no way they had enough evidence to convict, but also, there's no way he didn't do it

This is exactly where I fall now. He did it, but everyone was eager to get the case closed as quickly as possible, so he became an easy scapegoat.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I didn’t realize that having the victims’ family attend the court hearings was like, a vital part of the legal process

The big takeaway from this and also every other high-profile trial is that laws are fake

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you think about it, the real victim here is Sarah Koenig, who never got the murderer cock she so clearly longed for.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah. That's the only conclusion that fits all the pieces. I dunno. He served time. Isn't likely to murder again. gently caress it, let him out. Far worse people with blood on their hands is free.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Give Adnan & OJ a podcast called 'Well, Technically..."

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I'm into the great grains date and rasin one recently. But you k kw I'm always down for some

Recees PUFFs

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn, having someone you love be viscously murdered, the murder becoming a spectacle, and never knowing what they went through, and who is responsible.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

This mf said viscous

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ElGroucho posted:

The "I forget" alibi was less effective than you'd expect.

Also people vastly underestimate courtroom demeanor, which doesn't make it into transcripts. His only recorded behavior is threatening Jay in front of the jury, but nobody suggested that was atypical.

Acting like a smug prick for weeks will influence the court more than any amount of evidence.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is the new serial worth a listen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. That's the only conclusion that fits all the pieces. I dunno. He served time. Isn't likely to murder again. gently caress it, let him out. Far worse people with blood on their hands is free.

It's a little silly that Adnan has become a symbol for people who are for reform of the criminal justice system in the US. Couldn't they have picked someone else who ACTUALLY was wrongly convicted?

It really makes them look stupid. Adnan almost certainly either strangled his ex-girlfriend in a fit of rage, or ruminated on it for a while and planned to murder her by strangling her to death, both which are pretty despicable crimes.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 1, 2023