Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Copy and Paste a Dog is the most exciting thing in this entire presentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Agile Vector posted:

i guess this is better than the ipad's multitasking now

external display support makes it a basic mac, which has been a long time coming. kinda cool and a bit lol?

mostly looks like an advantage over what we had before. i mean i’m still emailing things to myself to see them on another device

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
overlapping windows on ipad is cool but that stage manager thing on the left takes up a lot of space for how useful it is

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this is not a flattering camera lens for tim

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

lol okay apple we believe you that you were safe about covid thanks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Good Sphere posted:

mostly looks like an advantage over what we had before. i mean i’m still emailing things to myself to see them on another device

oh yeah, it's definitely an improvement in most every way. i do a cloud shuffle, myself, and that's not exactly fluid despite years of opportunities to fix the process

i already use a trackpad for my ipad as a second device/video call/spare screen so adding a real screen and keyboard would replace my light desktop use

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Core M2 has no surprises, but at least 24 GB is a better max than 16

So basically M1 -> M2 feels like one of the better Intel generation jumps

Can't wait for refreshed 14/16 inch MBPs with the M2 Pro and M2 Max though

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

so the 13” MBP has the M2, but the others don’t?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im late because i had a meeting but i just needed to share that the japanese resident evil guys beard was absolutely not working for him

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

so the 13” MBP has the M2, but the others don’t?

yeah but the m1 pro is still faster

poty
Jun 21, 2008

not sure who is supposed to buy the 13" mbp. i guess theres a very small amount of people who need slightly more power than an air but for who the new-design mbps are overkill?

poty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 6, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

poty posted:

not sure who is supposed to buy the 13" mbp. i guess theres a very small amount of people who needs slightly more power than an air but for who the new-design mbps are overkill?

it's not even more power though, it's the same chip just with a fan that it barely needs, like I used to think ok maybe there's a niche for the 13" pro but now the air has the same squared off form factor as the big boy pros I just don't see why they're still bothering, especially when they're charging $1400 for it

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

njsykora posted:

it's not even more power though, it's the same chip just with a fan that it barely needs, like I used to think ok maybe there's a niche for the 13" pro but now the air has the same squared off form factor as the big boy pros I just don't see why they're still bothering, especially when they're charging $1400 for it

yeah i was just looking at that. kinda strange, but i guess they needed something for the market

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

rotor posted:

im late because i had a meeting but i just needed to share that the japanese resident evil guys beard was absolutely not working for him

i liked the beard, and he looked apple-ly, but the game looked sort of meh?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it was a Bad Beard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

perhaps on someone else that beard would have looked good, but it wasnt on someone else, so it didnt.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Good Sphere posted:

yeah i was just looking at that. kinda strange, but i guess they needed something for the market

they are probably just stuffing new logic boards in old unsold macbook pro 13 stock to avoid having to bury them all in a new mexico landfill like so many atari 2600 cartridges

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

they are probably just stuffing new logic boards in old unsold macbook pro 13 stock to avoid having to bury them all in a new mexico landfill like so many atari 2600 cartridges

i think this is right, looking at the gallery on the apple site it's identical in form to the M1 13" pro, it doesn't even have the notch

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

poty posted:

not sure who is supposed to buy the 13" mbp. i guess theres a very small amount of people who need slightly more power than an air but for who the new-design mbps are overkill?
Especially since the MBP has a 720p webcam vs. the Air's 1080p one...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i told you guys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
who’s excited for swift distributed actors

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lmao regex is the solve for string parsing????

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

idk i feel like the actors i know are fast enough, not sure why we want them to be faster

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

eschaton posted:

... i haven't used actors at all yet.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh my god swiftui halfsheets. that's so good.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

making charts for no reason.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
gotta keep the PMs occupied somehow

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s deffo a top five

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Good Sphere posted:

my guess is stock havers would riot if they cancelled the 13” mbp since it’s “the second best selling laptop” so by making the MBA better it will increase its sales and then next year they can point to how the MBA outsold the MBP in the 13” market and throw it out, leaving the 16” MBP as the only option for the pro line and the air for everything else

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

App Intents is the poo poo, it’s like the right way to expose behavior from your app to the rest of the system

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

eschaton posted:

App Intents is the poo poo, it’s like the right way to expose behavior from your app to the rest of the system

i thought that API already existed with Siri but either way both the old and new ones are much nicer than android’s Intent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Siri Intents was the first step but App Intents is next level, it’s like AppleScript support but easy to implement

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

eschaton posted:

Siri Intents was the first step but App Intents is next level, it’s like AppleScript support but easy to implement

that’s right

yeah that’s really loving nice then

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

boo ads.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

eschaton posted:

it seemed really slick. did they say if it was tied to swiftui?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

hell yeah love to virtually swap

virtual-swap.avi

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

it seemed really slick. did they say if it was tied to swiftui?

it’s not, as Ari said you can even use it with ObjC

the API itself is Swift-only but since you can just call ObjC from Swift it’s no big deal to expose pretty much anything you want in any language as an App Intent

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that weather service is definitely replacing what's currently in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Apple should have paid Capcom to port Monster Hunter Rise to iOS/tvOS/macOS. Probably would have done more to boost Apple gaming than RE8 and NMS running sub 30fps looking far worse than a launch PS4.