Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

1pm Eastern.

It's WWDC, so the focus will be on software. New MacOS, iOS, etc will be announced. Don't expect much in the way of hardware. There have been some rumors of new Mac related hardware, but those are just rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

C'mon MacOS Weed.

edit: gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

No no this year we're SERIOUS about gaming.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I can't imagine being bothered enough to hook a dongle up to my phone to hook it to the top of my laptop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That desk view could cause some.....problems.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holy gently caress. iPadOS weather.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

...did the iPad not have weather before?

It has a widget and you can ask Siri for weather info, but never a proper weather.app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

Finally, iOS16 supports swap.avi

Gonna download the beta and test this out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dev betas today. Yay. Gonna install it on all my poo poo and complain about broken apps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anton Chigurh posted:

No new Mac Pro announced. drat you Apple!

I think it's manufacturing constraints impacting a lot of this. They could easily do silent refreshes on a lot of their products, just using the M2 instead but it's those constraints. I work in an enterprise environment and we buy right from Apple. Even just a base model of an iPad or MBA has a ship time of several weeks. Any CTO models can take months.

Edward Mass posted:

wheres the one more thing

I can't remember the last time they did one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

$200 more.

These look to be all the features you get with M2 on a Macbook Air

-M2 Upgrade which is 20% Faster?
-10 vs 7 core GPU
-1080p vs 720p camera
-4 Speaker Spatial Audio system vs 2 Speaker Stereo
-13.6” Liquid Retina display vs. 13.3” Retina display
-Media Engine w/ hardware acceleration for ProRes, H264, etc. (this is missing in the Mac Comparison tool, does the old M1 not have this?)
-New design w/ a noth
-Configurable up to 24GB of RAM
-Headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones
-Fast-charge capable with available 67W USB-C Power Adapter

Basically... that's a lot of stuff the average person probably doesn't need. I find it fascinating that they are still selling and supporting base M1 Macs though for a $200 up sell. Wouldn't it be easier to release all the base M2 machines at once and then just discontinue the base M1? It seems like they've abandoned the M1 MacBook Pro, and I assume they'll do the same to the M1 Mini. Maybe they felt like this was enough new features to justify two tiers of Macbook Air

njsykora posted:

Or they just are going to keep selling them while they have stock like the Intel macs.

They'll keep selling the M1 at $999 for a while. Apple has always had a sub 1K laptop in its lineup for enterprise and EDU (it's 899 for EDU) in particular. This is the same reason they still have the base iPad for $329 (309 EDU).