Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Puss in Boots in the theater, loved the new animation style and the plot was adorably charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
School of Good and Evil, on Netflix. Good concept, good cast, fun visuals, but could tell within the first few minutes that we were dealing with an adaptation from a book for Young Adults. Just don't think too hard when watching.

Abugadu

The Princess, on Hulu.

Solid action choreography, but kinda absent on everything else. Like if two people were blazed and pitching ideas back and forth and one of them was What If John Wick but a Medieval Princess, wrote that on a napkin, and then discovered said napkin with twelve hours before their pitch was due and needed to come up with a script and actual plot. Costumes and use of color in the film also decent.

Abugadu

canyoneer posted:

a thread in which every day, Abe gets owned really hard

looooool

Abugadu

Hugo

Hadn't heard much about it before now, but so many big names attached to it. Directed by Scorsese, produced by Depp, supporting cast of Kingsley, Christopher Lee, Sasha Baron Cohen, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jude Law.

It's a love letter to the beginnings of cinema, beautifully shot. Apparently it was a 3D film, though I watched in 2D, but I could see how it would enhance the experience. It tells the largely factual story of Georges Melies, an early film pioneer, within a fictional story of a boy secretly living in a the train station where Melies worked later in his life during a downturn.

It was a box office bomb, and my guess would be because the pacing is slow. Glacially slow. Beyond the Black Rainbow slow. The supporting cast is given little to work with, though Kingsley does a great job with what he has. The two young stars are given the majority of screen time, and while they're not bad, they're one-dimensional, and the pacing makes this all the more apparent.

It's based on a book, and I'm guessing it adhered to the book's plot fairly closely, but it feels like a waste. Melies' actual life and story was fascinating, and the parts of the movie that focus on him are fantastic. The surrounding story, not so much. You can only watch a boy elude a bumbling station guard for so long, and if I had to guess, it took up about 30-40 minutes of the film. It was formulaic to the extreme, which, again, is exaggerated by the pace.

It's still worth a watch. I'm sure it would be a visual spectacle on a 3D TV. And learning about Melies and early cinema was a treat. Just feel free to check your emails or surf the forums during the slow chunks.