Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

I just watched this last night for the first time the way I assume the director intended it to be seen, on a phone screen during a flight.
I liked it and I have sorta a weird connection to one of the plot elements in that my dad grew up on the same street as Moe the Chimp. my grandparents lived there, and so when we'd visit we'd be kept up to date on the "FREE MOE" campaign, where he was unjustly imprisoned in chimpanzee jail for biting a woman's finger. then we heard that Moe's dad got mauled by a different chimp when they went to visit Moe in chimp jail for Moe's birthday, and Moe escaped and to this day has never been found. there's a really good article online about the whole story from i think esquire or gq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer

Twenty Four posted:

I've seen this movie at least a dozen times, couldn't say exactly how many, but I was flipping through the channel guide and The Jerk (1979) with Steve Martin happened to be on and I still maintain it is one of the funniest movies ever made. It's stupid humor but it just nails it, and Steve is perfect in it.

whenever I'm leaving the house grabbing a few last things on the way out I always say in my mind "and that's all I need"

canyoneer

The Swimmers on netflix. the story of two syrian refugee sisters who are swimmers. the preview on netflix shows a scene in the third act where they get involved in swimming in the country they've fled to, which was very cute and uplifting.

that is NOT the tone of like, 2/3rds of the movie, which follows their true story and all the misery they experienced in the crossing. it's an extremely moving story but oh man is it very sad most of the time.

canyoneer

Buttchocks posted:

The 10 Commandments (1923). Quite a bit different than the Charleton Heston one. Only the first half is the Biblical story, and the second half is a morality tale set in (1920's) modern times. There's a lot of thematic bleedover from the first half to the second, and both halves would be fine on their own, but it felt weird to jump tracks like that in the middle. It's like when sci-fi movies start out on an alien planet and then make excuses to get everyone to modern day LA.

I had to look up if that's the one with the flood scene where some extras actually died but no, that was Noah's Ark (1928)

1923 Ten Commandments was the one where they left the giant set pieces in the California desert and they were later excavated in the documentary Lost City of Cecil B. DeMille

canyoneer

itry posted:

Doesn't Kylie Minogue play an absinthe bottle in that one?

somehow still less weird than starring in Street Fighter: The Movie

canyoneer

Areola Grande posted:

Water for Elephants. Good dust bowl circus poo poo. especially if u liked Carnivale

i watched The Elephant Whisperers on netflix, which won the oscar last year for best short documentary film. follows a couple who live in a nature preserve in India working for the forest service taking care of orphaned baby elephants and it is beautiful. the elephants are like gigantic toddlers and the people are so sweet with them.

canyoneer

Ominous Jazz posted:

i watched Shin Godzilla and The Raid
Shin Godzilla owns bones and really got me invested in the politics around Godzilla

this dudes dead as gently caress so i can't make fun of him for missing the point of the movie so hard

a thread in which every day, Abe gets owned really hard

canyoneer

Once upon a time in Hollywood is maybe my favorite with Leo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer

Three Amigos! is on amazon prime right now and that movie is so great