Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Piss off, Hamlin. It takes a delusional level of gall to follow someone into their ruined home and then be like "by the way, I took a job to steal what may be a very personal memento of your family."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
It is weirdly incompetent writing that the game forces you to throw in with the group that killed your father. It was literally the inciting incident, and framed as dramatically as this game can pull off. Having Aldnar on the council itself is stupid for the reasons outlined, but also because having him not be there provides much better motivation: you could justify throwing in with the rebels as infiltrating them to find your father's killer.

But no, I guess we just join the rebels because the king is a dick and took the property we only just learned we had the rights to anyway.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I really like that so far nobody's given a plot-related reason to decline this. :v:

Fine, I'll give it a go. Inasmuch as this game has a plot at all, it seems to be about trying to find out what mysterious and dark force is manipulating this war for their own ends. Thus, accepting help from a mysterious and maybe dark force is maybe not the wisest decision if we're pretending we care about the stated goal of the game at all, and we should reject the offer.

That said I do not care about the game's stated goals at all, and if our character has any real personal motivation, it lays in claiming enough power to destroy our half-brother. So I say ACCEPT, because as scammy as it sounds it really isn't any worse than any other pitch we've received so far, and maybe something suggesting we have SOME kind of authority or backing will actually help us.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 21, 2022

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Simping for Jade seems like the way forward imo

I mean, when she's the only party member that has displayed anything resembling a character beyond their class/race archetype...

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
A better written game would have done something clever like, say, only have you lose one of your mages if you tried to romance both of them as a punishment for your greed. At the very least it wouldn't have one of them be grateful that they're a normal person after all if you choose them and then leave the party in a huff for not choosing to give them their destiny over probably saving the life of the other one if you don't.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
If the game had at all made a case for both sides of this war (as opposed to placing all the blame on the kingdom's end on the king being cursed and having the rebels be entirely the cause of their own downfall) this scene could be a good roleplaying moment. And if you had any incentive to try and get the east a spot at the table. And if they didn't do the lazy "one stat being high enough gives you the best answer" schtick (as opposed to having a number of options for different stats and skills, or having party members contribute).

I guess what I'm saying is that the peace talk scene would've probably been great in a better game, which is still more than can be said about most of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I cannot fathom how horribly awry someone's sense of storytelling must have gone for them to state that it's a good idea to foreshadow the opposite of your major plot developments.