Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Bloodborne is a 2015 action role-playing game released on the Playstation 4. Developed by the (in)famous FromSoftware it is considered to be adjacent to the similarly (in)famous Souls series, taking many of the aspects of those games and transposing them into a Gothic, Victorian setting.

Players are dropped into an expansive Metroidvania style gamespace and asked to explore and understand the mystery of what has happened to the city of Yharnam, fighting a myriad of humans and monsters along the way.

Bloodborne was released to near universal acclaim with critics praising its setting, gameplay as well as its unyielding difficulty and vision. In the seven years since, millions of players have entered the streets of Yharnam and found themselves giving it similar praise.

As of 2022 the game has not seen a release on any platform beyond the PS4 and there's been a growing outcry for a remake or port of the game elsewhere. Even though the response on these requests remains unclear, what is clear is that even after all this time this game is absolutely adored by its fans.

About the LP

I am Natural20 and I am a living god of videogames. (Ignoring ridiculous mechanics like Space Jumping, or dealing with Spikes, or that insanely difficult corridor in Aria of Sorrow.) Despite being an avatar of game supremacy, I have never played a Soulslike. Unless you count Hollow Knight, which I don't think does count? I'm not really sure.

In any case I am going to slap this game around despite the fact that I've never played it before because that's how good I am. If I do die, it's because I'm playing on a Playstation controller and has nothing to do with my failure to adapt, understand or read. The purpose of this LP is to show you that this "hard" game is actually super easy and everyone else needs to get good.

This, as with many of our LPs will be a Guided Blind LP, where I will play with no foreknowledge of the game and my erstwhile colleague and best friend Yorkshire Tea will guide me through the world, ensuring that I don’t go too far astray. (Without good reason)

Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11pm BST, 6pm EST (or as close to that as I can manage) with cheeky Patreon early episodes for those who are really invested.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Natural20's Notes On Game Design

1. Items and Hoarding
2. The Run Back
3. Bloodborne and World of Warcraft - How I stopped caring and embraced the grind.

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

:munch:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, this is going to be interesting.

This game is like a strange nightmare of being in England. It is also never coming on PC, ever.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 9, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
From the exactly 3 days I have spent in the UK, it looks exactly like London to me, depressing murderhobobeasts and all

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

It is also never coming on PC, ever.

This will be my first experience with Bloodborne for that exact reason. This is gonna be good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Let's purge the night of these beasts, 2HP at a time!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fie, it rises quite quickly after a few trivially cheap level ups.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ah another Nat20 LP.

:krakentoot:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, this should be good.

e: Yup, first episode and Nat is already being brilliant. Great comic timing, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 9, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's what you get for not paying attention.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

This hurts.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

This is already amazing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can't believe Nat missed getting a weapon.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

theenglishman posted:

SIGSEGV posted:

It is also never coming on PC, ever.

This will be my first experience with Bloodborne for that exact reason. This is gonna be good.

This is also why I have never played the game, though I have watched more LPs of it than I can count (my thumb confuses me).

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, now a top tier god gamer is taking this game on, maybe I'll finally come to understand it. :munch:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We're off to a good start :allears:

Where's the first weapon supposed to be, in the dream? I guess we'll discover next episode.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Omobono posted:

We're off to a good start :allears:

Where's the first weapon supposed to be, in the dream? I guess we'll discover next episode.
it's actually more complicated than that:

_______________________________________no it's not______________________________

___________________he's just blind and impatient______________________________

buddy of mine missed getting the Estus Flask in Dark Souls 2 as well because you have to talk to an NPC that's just standing there and he didn't see her

Only thing that would have been better than this start was if the beast had grabbed him in a way to push Nat through a gate that's supposed to be locked, skipping a huge chunk of the game

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Finally, someone I can learn how to "get good" from.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This is a subgenre of game I have only ever enjoyed from the outside, but something about these sorts of games makes them very entertaining for me to watch. Bloodborne, in particular, is one I'm forced to enjoy vicariously due to not having any of the Playstations, which is too bad because the trick weapons and how they define one's playstyle seems like my kind of jam for the sort of gameplay found in Soulslikes. I'm curious which one you'll end up sticking with. Assuming you ever find one, of course.

Me, if I ever get a chance, I'd go straight for the Kirkhammer, it just looks rad as hell.

EDIT: By the way, the word "milquetoast" is actually a reference to the character, Caspar Milquetoast, from a 1920s comic strip, The Timid Soul. The character was named for milk toast, which is toast in warm milk, and was generally given to children and the infirm, as it was considered easy to digest (as we all know, nobody anywhere has difficulties processing dairy products or wheat). Thus, the character was timid, ineffectual, bland, and that's why we now use the word to refer to anyone who displays those same qualities.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 10, 2022

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Can't wait to see a legendary god gamer do a fists only run of Bloodborne.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for not saving Natural 20 from himself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

This is a subgenre of game I have only ever enjoyed from the outside, but something about these sorts of games makes them very entertaining for me to watch. Bloodborne, in particular, is one I'm forced to enjoy vicariously due to not having any of the Playstations, which is too bad because the trick weapons and how they define one's playstyle seems like my kind of jam for the sort of gameplay found in Soulslikes. I'm curious which one you'll end up sticking with. Assuming you ever find one, of course.
Personally, I hope they stick with Arcane since I haven't seen an LP like that yet. Not sure when you get your first magic thing, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 10, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Personally, I hope they stick with Arcane since I haven't seen an LP like that yet. Not sure when you get your first magic thing, though.
First tool: bone in Workshop

First offensive tool: gauntlet in Cainhurst

First possibility to make weapon arcane scaling + elemental: fire gem protected by brainsucker in the streets down in Cathedral Ward

EDIT: bottom line, you should know what you're doing if you're going into Arcane, so obv Nat should do it

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 10, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man Tea one can already hear you gritting your teeth to tiny stubs as you accompany the world's leadt observant man lol

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Wonder how many updates it will take for Nat to remember that he has a gun.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
That's just disappointing. I was counting on a full weaponless run.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

Wonder how many updates it will take for Nat to remember that he has a gun.

What's a gun?

Epicmissingno posted:

That's just disappointing. I was counting on a full weaponless run.

Tea tricked me into picking up a weapon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Good choice on the threaded cane, I enjoy seeing that one in action, probably because it's the classiest of the starter weapons.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Having never played the game or seen a nat 20 lp. I get the feeling I'm in for a ride.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
hell yeah he picked the correct one

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

Tea tricked me into picking up a weapon.

You can always unequip it, can't you? If you don't challenge Lady Maria of Cainhurst (the DLC final boss I think?) to a bout of fisticuffs we'll be very cross.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYcXh3be3n0

Largely just highlights for everyone here. But I had fun making it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Extremely ready for this :) A blind Arcane run is going to be interesting, though with the level of skill already on display, Nat probably doesn't even need stats.

Also, in case you haven't seen it yet, it's recently been confirmed that Silksong will be released within the next 12 months.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 12, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYcXh3be3n0

Largely just highlights for everyone here. But I had fun making it.

This highlight reel inspired me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The prompt is pretty clear that the Messengers are offering you a trick weapon. Nat20 was smart not to fall for it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

A round of :golfclap: for Yorkshire Tea who somehow managed to refrain from either fits of giggles or exasperated yelling.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

One mechanic I'll point out because it appeared in the video, and apologies if it's out of line to do so, but you might notice if you keep whacking an enemy after they're dead, there's actually a brief window in which hitting them will still recover your health, if you have any pale red bits on your health bar. Good way to mitigate the game's attrition mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I know nothing about this game that hasn't already been covered in the OP, but I can already tell this is going to be an absolutely wild ride :allears: