Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty far behind (like partway through episode 25) but I just want to say I love the Rifle Spear and I'm glad to see it get air time. Simple weapon, but that charging R2 feels too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, Nat, what did you think about Hemwick? I really like it, personally, and make a point to go there while it's still sunset. Looks much nicer.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Amygdala took me a good thirty tries and 2 blood vial farming sessions to finally beat. Such a brick wall for me. I did enjoy how the Nightmare changes your sound during the boss though. It really adds to the creepy dream feeling.

And Henwick is one of my favorite areas. Can't get too lost, fun enemies and the boss is easy but fun to fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Amidala is such a weird fight. I would just die because the lock dropped or simply be unable to target attacks where I wanted them to go. Eventually I realised if I just attacked the base, the arc of the cane would sometimes hit one of the lower arms and broadly none of his attacks actually do anything if you're at his feet.

Hemwick felt like what this game should be like all the time. Mowing through mooks and eviscerating giant dudes. It had an environment that was good for 20-25 minutes of game, I got through it in that time and got out. Probably the best bit of the game so far.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Art will be up shortly!

Oh and Patreon advance content is back on schedule as well.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 24, 2022

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I believe you already have the item for that tentacle move the other hunter was using. (but you'll need more arcane points, unfortunately)

Is that hunter just a big bag of hitpoints, or was that a bad weapon matchup?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That hunter has a lot of health

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Some hunter NPCs can have more hp than bosses and be more dangerous.

*stares at Bloody Crow of Cainhurst*

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Brutal Garcon posted:

I believe you already have the item for that tentacle move the other hunter was using. (but you'll need more arcane points, unfortunately)

Is that hunter just a big bag of hitpoints, or was that a bad weapon matchup?

As the others have said I think the hunter just had very high stats in general. As we saw in the Nightmare, whip loses very hard to dual blades when things are more even. (Also from this where I was stringing together multiple full stamina combos)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah she's just a bag of health and defense.

Pains me to see you go "oh I'm just R1ing, it's boring" when the BoM have so much more to offer. Don't forget the L2 disengage move, perfect to end a combo with when you can see you stamina getting low. You're never using sidestep R1s anymore, which deal insane damage, and could have easily killed Yuria on your penultimate attempt.

Brainsuckers are insanely weak to piercing damage, by the way. Which the sidestep-dual stab is doing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah she's just a bag of health and defense.

Pains me to see you go "oh I'm just R1ing, it's boring" when the BoM have so much more to offer. Don't forget the L2 disengage move, perfect to end a combo with when you can see you stamina getting low. You're never using sidestep R1s anymore, which deal insane damage, and could have easily killed Yuria on your penultimate attempt.

Brainsuckers are insanely weak to piercing damage, by the way. Which the sidestep-dual stab is doing.

Eh, L2 disengage just seems a bunch worse than cancelling an R1 into a roll, you get more iframes and less recovery.

Dodge stab on the other hand is going to be used extensively.

I do wish there was more skill expression when attacking, like cancelling a weapon attack into drawing a second weapon and attacking with that. Or being able to cancel into gunshot for extra free damage. Or just like, any combos at all.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There are combos - transform attacks imo count, so do sidestep attacks, and finishing your attack chain with an L2 imo also counts. I get what you want is like in Monster Hunter getting different attacks for dunno R1L1L1 vs R1R1L1, yeah that's not in the cards here.

Good thing, too. I loving hate combos. The depth of BB's combat is knowing when you can commit to an attack chain and for how long, watching your stamina and dodging in time. The true skill is doing stuff like attack attack dodge through their hit into what you know is a safe spot for their follow-up, keep attacking, then dodge away from their final combo hit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slight typo on the episode number, will have it fixed up in a jiff.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Here's a bit of fun: If at any point before killing Rom, you'd had 40 or more Insight, you'd be able to see the Lesser Amygdalas even before the blood moon phase. You'd likely need to down a bunch of Madman's Knowledge to get there, but if popped a bunch for an upcoming shopping spree, you'd be in for quite a shock.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Welcome to England, you've finally arrived. Be sure to be nice to the lady in white, by the way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon posted:

Overall, a key problem is however that you seem to just be insanely pissed off by the game killing you outright, and that's a mindset thing that can't be argued away. I personally do not care about dying in From games at all, and I care less if the game just goes "lol you're dead now". I think it's actually insanely funny and cool that the designers put a deadly trap here. Too few games are bold enough to risk pissing their players off. If this weren't an LP, they'd lose you here - they'd have lost you long ago, honestly - and the people at From basically say "that's fine by us, you'll never buy another From game, but we are absolutely willing to accept that". I'll buy this poo poo until I die because I LOVE this boldness. I LOVE seeing a clear vision that purposefully includes "we are going to attempt to kill you", because that also includes a) me coming back with knowledge on the second attempt, tripping the trap and avoiding it and going "heh, fool me once", and b) the option of me seeing it coming, or getting got but not dying because I react properly in the moment, and feeling like a champion.

If you do not like these moments nearly as much as I do, if you do not accept that in order for them to exist you sometimes just need to eat poo poo, then yeah, this game will sometimes be extremely unfun for you.

I wanted to come back to this post because I think it's well written, thought out and deserves a response.

One of my favourite platformers of all time is I Wanna Be the Guy. That game wants you to die far, far more than Bloodborne does. It wants you to be absolutely fuming about poo poo that happens in it.

But the reason I love it and forgive it for what it does is because of two aspects.

The first is humour. The ways you die in that game are genuinely hilarious. When Ryu just randomly popped out of a fan and killed me with a Tatsu is probably one of my favourite moments in gaming. I loving hurled my controller into the air in surprise and then broke down laughing afterwards.

The death in the nightmare frontier was pretty much the opposite of that. It was humourless, it wasn't fast, it was just something brought on because I dared to explore in the game and if I just go left instead of right there's a good chance I don't even die.

I don't even know, even now, who exactly did that to me. It's not oh lol Ryu is a fan, it's just, we pushed a button and you died.

The second is that the recovery in IWBTG is near instant. You die, the music plays, you reset, you go again. You're back in the game inside 5 seconds of your death, playing away and it's fine. With Bloodborne there's a minute of a loading screen as you get respawned, there's running all the way back to your corpse, which has, at least to me, completely undermined the threat of the game when it's just woefully apparent that you can ignore every enemy and just run past everyone because fighting does absolutely nothing for you.

And I suppose there's that third one in that sentence there. The gameplay of IWTBG is an instant, fun, bouncy platformer where I'm always moving and doing something. The gameplay of Bloodborne is a slog. Gigantic sacks of HP that deal too much damage to be autopiloted through but not enough to ever really threaten you when you're paying attention. There's nothing to attacking them beyond mashing away at the attack button so maintaining your concentration as you R1R1R1R1 at something is basically impossible.

The way I've played the game from when I started is so significant. Going from single pulling enemies with pebbles because I took them seriously, to just mashing attack because if I die, screw it I can just run back, to now where I don't bother to fight anything since I can just grind the levels I missed in half the time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I mean there's a very significant point at the end there, you do not think that playing Bloodborne is fun, apparently? For me, slicing through fools with ever-dumber weapons is the time of my life, if I die whatever, I just get to slice some more while I make it back to where a trap killed me and I went "oh, you". If the fundamental gameplay doesn't excite you at all, then yeah, redoing bits of it obviously will feel like a terrible chore. That's a fundamental issue that cannot be argued away, and I won't attempt to!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

poo poo finally begins to get real.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

I mean there's a very significant point at the end there, you do not think that playing Bloodborne is fun, apparently? For me, slicing through fools with ever-dumber weapons is the time of my life, if I die whatever, I just get to slice some more while I make it back to where a trap killed me and I went "oh, you". If the fundamental gameplay doesn't excite you at all, then yeah, redoing bits of it obviously will feel like a terrible chore. That's a fundamental issue that cannot be argued away, and I won't attempt to!

Yeah, for me the souls games are fun because the I find the combat engaging, the game is constantly keeping you on your toes with tricks and traps in its level design, and there's a real sense of challenge and danger because even the early-game mooks can kill you if you're overconfident or fail to see/react to something in your surroundings. I guess if this doesn't gel with you, and you don't like the vague environmental storytelling style, then there's probably not much there for you. And that's OK too.

Personally, I think it would be better if the plot was a little more explicitly explained. Like just enough to give us a stronger idea of where we should go next plotwise besides "this area opened up, let's explore it" - a clearer sense of "what you currently seek is in this direction/location" wouldn't go amiss.
At this point in the game my understanding from what we've seen is Yharnam went nuts after deciding it was a great idea to mainline a bunch of shoggoth blood that they found in a spooky tomb. So now there's a slumbering eldritch god, possibly an infant one, whose nightmares are blending into reality and and turning everything into monsters. The mensis ritual, whatever it is, might have summoned it and/or is otherwise preventing us from getting to and stopping it somehow.

Anyway, I really liked that the amygdala's "attack" is kinda just picking you up and taking a good look at you before putting you back on the ground - it's on brand to act as if they don't realise that being in the literal grasp of an elder god drives you insane to the point where your head actually explodes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Breaking out the ole Tentacle Arm now

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Finally rounded up some of those stats eh? I'm so glad. Everytime you leave a stat not on an even number or number divisible by 5, a squidman kicks a puppyman. Why did you hate puppymans so much that it took this long? :(

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lolling at Tea's slowly dawning realization of how loving busted the Augur is

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Eh, that I get. At least, I have mental scars from early-patch Diablo 2 where spending a few points early on to try stuff out was a permanent investment in lategame pain, where those earlygame points in the healing aura and shield bash skill spend the entire rest of the game laughing at you every time you open the skill tree. There's no way to really know how effective a weapon or spell is going to be (or how much you like them) until you drop those points in, which is pretty daunting in a game without respecs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Eh, that I get. At least, I have mental scars from early-patch Diablo 2 where spending a few points early on to try stuff out was a permanent investment in lategame pain, where those earlygame points in the healing aura and shield bash skill spend the entire rest of the game laughing at you every time you open the skill tree. There's no way to really know how effective a weapon or spell is going to be (or how much you like them) until you drop those points in, which is pretty daunting in a game without respecs.

How many points did I spend on getting a Valkyrie buddy?

Enough to scar me forever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You couldn't visceral attack it because you were hitting it in the other head. I'm also not sure you can actually visceral attack it, but you certainly do more damage hitting the part with the human body sticking out that looks like it's active as a human body and not as a glued together component.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

You couldn't visceral attack it because you were hitting it in the other head. I'm also not sure you can actually visceral attack it, but you certainly do more damage hitting the part with the human body sticking out that looks like it's active as a human body and not as a glued together component.
You can't visc the boss, you're otherwise correct.

TOR is a boss where I couldn't tell you poo poo about how it works. What are all the various attacks it can do? Unno. What's the effect of the purple poo poo the bellmaidens shoot into it? gently caress if I know. Does it stagger better when you hit it in the underbelly, or should you aim for the legs instead? Eeeeh?

The thing is, this is the most "just get in there and slice, it's probably fine" boss in the game, so whatever!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm really curious about your audio mixing, cause it seems very different from the default. I'm hearing things enemies and npcs are saying that I've never experienced before but the music isn't as enthralling.
I swear I heard the one reborn say "You were a good man" which is just :magical: and also I've only heard incoherent screaming in my own playthroughs

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious about something that was mentioned in the commentary - is your plan for the LP to actually kill all the bosses or are you still planning to skip optional areas?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm really curious about your audio mixing, cause it seems very different from the default. I'm hearing things enemies and npcs are saying that I've never experienced before but the music isn't as enthralling.
I swear I heard the one reborn say "You were a good man" which is just :magical: and also I've only heard incoherent screaming in my own playthroughs

I believe the music is set to like 3-4 and the voices are set to 8-9 on the settings. The reason we did this is because we couldn't hear each other speak over the music prior to the reduction. And we speak so frequently that typically a ducking solution doesn't really work that well. Absent subtitles I turned up the voices high so I could hear what people were saying.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm curious about something that was mentioned in the commentary - is your plan for the LP to actually kill all the bosses or are you still planning to skip optional areas?

I never really planned on skipping the optional areas and just wanted to approach this game as a new player would. But at this point, we're very much playing to get to the end. I'll go and do optional stuff that I find naturally but otherwise I'm going to kill what's in front of me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Much as I wish Nat woiuld explore more of the game, trying to exploit his arachnophobia like that was just low. Shame on Tea.

e: Oh, okay. Tea and bourbon helping. That'll teach me to comment before finishing the video, I guess.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 6, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nat20 posted:

I have no idea what's going on

The whole game is based around one theme: living in England is a literal maddening nightmarel so either run or begin The Purge

Slaan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 6, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And that's why getting that VR mission training will be useful for you in the future, nat20, it's valuable life experience condensed as much as possible.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you don't have a problem with spiders, there's something super hilarious you can do in that room: you picked up Shaman Bone Blades in it, which are one-use items you can use to stab an enemy for very minor damage.

After that happened, every other enemy in the room will do their best to murder the stabbed one.

There's one huge spider in there and a bunch of small ones. Do the math lol

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
It must be so satisfying to eventually mulch this guy into a paste! I know From Software like their NPCs who cackle and giggle evilly, but having a boss who is constantly rambling on the entire time must be very annoying...

A pity you're not planning on doing the DLC as I'm enjoying watching you murder everything while Tea vainly tries to steer you in other directions, but if you're not enjoying the overall gameplay then fair play that you want to put it down once the main game is done. Hopefully the next thing you LP clicks with you more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Give us eyes~