Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
As I recall, my first playthrough of the game I think I ended up having to farm for blood vials about...three times?

However, I think there's a key thing to recognise from how the game is structured: there are basically two ways to gain blood vials: drops from enemies, or buying with echoes. And occasional solid blood consumables aside, there's basically one way to get echoes: drops from enemies. That means all the blood vials you're going to get come, directly or indirectly, from the enemies you kill. Blood vial usage that lets you keep killing more enemies and avoid losing your accumulated echoes is a profitable investment in that sense. So the time when you actually need to be saving vials isn't when you're killing enemies, it's when you're failing to kill enemies, and that's when you're stuck on the harder bosses. If you're practicing on a boss and run out, that's not really because you spent too many vials while you were out in the world progressing, that's because you spent too many vials practicing, and it's that part players do best to get a hold of--if you're dying a lot to a fight, you most likely need to get better at avoiding damage, rather than trying to tank through it with vials. Once you can start dodging with at least some degree of reliability, then you can use your vials to get you over the line.

However based on Hollow Knight I'd not be surprised if Nat gets through the game without needing to farm once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Natural 20 posted:

So let's contrast to another game, Hollow Knight.

Healing there is tied to attacking in a similar way, soul accumulates on a per hit basis. You spend soul to heal HP.

But notably, it's capped much lower. You can store enough soul to at most heal around half your health. And you have a way of converting excess soul to offense via the Hadoken attack.

I think that this is probably a better system for achieving the same effect. Through both the lower cap encouraging frequent use and the ability to be rewarded for not getting hit by allowing you to generate more offense.

I can absolutely see this point based on the way you handled Hollow Knight, but anecdotally having seen many people play through that game, very, very few made any sort of frequent use of spells on their first playthroughs. Tying the spells to the same resource as healing made them very reluctant to use spells, basically ever.