Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Most other From games and Soulslikes agree, and instead of consumable healing potions they'll give flasks, stimpacks, or something else that refreshes at every savepoint encouraging you to use them to push farther.

I haven't played it firsthand, but if I've parsed other people's play correctly Elden Ring goes a step further and restores consumable weapon buffs and such if you die while trying to use them on a boss? Either that or the people I watched had farmed up a buttload of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't play Souls games and don't often play Souls-likes (I'm oddly quite fond of Jedi: Fallen Order, which shares some DNA including the runback), but listing to how others have talked about it I see it as Phase 1 of a bossfight where your goal is just to optimize resource use as you get to Phase 2. People tend not to talk about runbacks in general, they'll say "the runback to Gascoine" or other bosses in the same way they'll say "I hated needing to do the first phase every time before I could get to the fight proper."

That doesn't make a bad one suddenly good, but it's a view I found interesting when I first noticed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I will say that it has been excruciating to watch switching weapon discussion knowing that I did switch weapon immediately after this recording.

Sure, you did NOW. Pay no attention to file timestamps...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

Edit: on the specific subject of penalties for death, this is one of the precise issues I have as well, especially when I compare this to something like Celeste (which is often praised specifically for how little it penalises you for dying, and how quickly it gets you back into action so you can keep practising). I have a friend who praises the penalties to the skies, precisely because it increases tension and anxiety in the player, and he enjoys that ("it makes your decisions feel like they matter"). Meanwhile I have an anxiety disorder and absolutely do not come to my pastimes to be given more stress. I do think this is ultimately, a matter of taste, but it's made it very difficult for me to talk about game design with him (and has seriously impeded our progress on some mutual projects, because we're often working at cross-purposes).

I'm stumped for examples right now, but something I've noticed with this particular sort of thing is how granular it can be in effect. I've played games where I don't mind the runback at all and others where it felt like a slog, where the actual difference between the two isn't much.