Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, this is going to be interesting.

This game is like a strange nightmare of being in England. It is also never coming on PC, ever.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fie, it rises quite quickly after a few trivially cheap level ups.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I trust God Gamer Nat 20 to roll all over those punks at SL1.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh yeah, losing a single run of souls isn't much but once you need to bank more than that to upgrade or buy or level something, it quickly becomes a different matter.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, blood vials and so on are so plentiful and easy to farm that you should think of them entirely as blocks of health that aren't yet in your health bar, just shove them back in at earliest convenience.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Omobono posted:

Isn't the problem that he's used it but didn't realize it needed a followup?

Yeah, he paried with the gun properly and then used a dodge lunge attack to try to exploit it, but since it can't start the actual riposte and he wasn't standing in the sweetspot either, it staggered Gacoigne out of the parry stagger.

BTW, GodGamerNat20, I entirely share your opinions regarding that loving lockon, the way it refuses to lock on properly and the way it randomly drops if there's an obstruction to the target. It's bad and it's something that about 15 years after Demon's Souls, is still the same piece of poo poo. I love From games to bits but I have a couple longstanding grudges against them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's pretty funny watching you theorycraft about stats from like three neighboring data points. (Other stats are also good to get to equip more equipment, and also have more stamina to not get stamina starved and die to a stunlock.) Also, in terms of spending souls, I generally find that spending to the very last soul like that is, well, there's this saying in computer science, that you should avoid premature optimization, I propose you just shouldn't care about so few souls, just let them hang around in your pocket, it's no big deal, soon you'll lose a few hundred thousand from a bad fall while distracted, it'll be alright.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To be honest I'm basically in the same boat you are in right now when it comes to all early souls bosses, even after playing most of From's output, I only start to get it right significantly later in the game, after a lot of victories through flailing about, said flailing about got me past a number of bosses apparently meant to be serious gatekeepers and yet I squeak past.

Then again, I suppose darksydephil also got past those hurdles so maybe a less grandiloquent description should be used for them.

Then I reach the big nasty fights that come later on, the obligatory "kinda peer sword-waver", the nightmare rear end in a top hat duo, and whatever else and I actually enjoy those, and then I roll back around in new game plus and absolutely paste those early bosses.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I've just had a flash of insight, there is a delightful stained glass window inside my skull spelling out "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS".

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Elden Ring is a lot better about it even if some interactions are only ever told in item descriptions, at least they are told.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The "one more strike" thing is not the whole of stamina, after all in this game aggression is turned up significantly and you'll know the joy of having to dodge while you're trying to recover after placing in a few swings, slapping in a blood vial, fleeing an AoE, and so on. Even a few points of extra stamina mean you don't get pasted while backing off, basically the same marginal effectiveness theory you have for health.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, let's start with AC4A, that one is good, clean fun.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I will say that I enjoy the fact that ER has regular estus style healing, and also got rid of weapon durability entirely, which I would argue the game never needed, it's not like it's Fire Emblem 7, which made me keep all the fancy stuff in the wagon and solve everything with iron weapons and first level spells and staves only.

Wait, maybe that wasn't that good then either. (I agree with Nat regarding blood vials, however, I love that the parries can make an enemy vulnerable and also still have them ram your face. "I parry the boulder." "Noted, you even succeed, it doesn't care much though.")

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They are also really dependent on your favorite approaches, the most famously hard ER boss was far easier for me than the second instance of a specific gatekeeper boss for that reason.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

You keep blaming the game when many of your issues come down to your refusal to use a different weapon. The threaded cane has comparatively little reach when untransformed, and does next to no hitstun, and here you are, whiffing tons of attacks because you overestimate the length of the weapon, and getting hit back because enemies aren't taking enough hitstun. Seems like there might be a connection, there. The threaded cane's intended playstyle is "whack, sidestep, repeat" because it does nothing to prevent foes from smacking you around. If "aggressive" to you means "murder them before they get a hit in by mashing the attack button a bunch", you're going to want a heavier weapon, period.

Don't teach him the from secret so early! The from secret is that most of the time a jumping R2 with a heavy strength based weapon held with both your hands is easy and powerful and pretty often makes short work out of everything since it generally solves things with only one opportunity to make a mistake.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think that will have you appreciate that both the numbers and the animation sets are pretty important. Also the stagger you can inflict, but that's a straight up number so it's defeating my point.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm thinking of other skill weapons and I think I'll be happy, also the screaming and pain to get them will be funny.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am so happy they eventually made quests and such far less finicky, with summoning and specters and whatever, to let the player iterate until they don't gently caress up, oh sure the style at the time heightens the tension and furthermore: I'm glad it's over.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gunshots also do pixel health damage so that tracks.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We've gotten a good way in but we should say it is very important in souls games to make sure you exhaust the dialogue of everyone you talk to.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You really nicely handled the shadows but keep in mind that summons and co-op and useables and such are in the game for a reason, it says "PREY SLAUGHTERED" all the same.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The one fight in which co-op is mandatory for full experience is the Old Monk fight in Demons' Souls, and that's not even needed to finish it or get extra items or anything.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As I said,

SIGSEGV posted:

This game is like a strange nightmare of being in England.
Then you slowly wake up and realize that, to your growing horror, you are, in fact, actually in England.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ram Ranch is an eternal classic for a reason. Probably not the one you are looking for though.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

By the way, these are called Winter Lanterns because, IIRC, it's the Japanese name for physalis / groundcherries, and the heads look kinda like them.

Also you will eventually learn how to beat the poo poo out of poison swamps. For example, getting an idea of the layout, or the design behind the layout and just loving book it past everything. From games are games and, in the end, want to be beaten.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am so happy to hear you went for that solution for the sound effects.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Welcome to England, you've finally arrived. Be sure to be nice to the lady in white, by the way.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You couldn't visceral attack it because you were hitting it in the other head. I'm also not sure you can actually visceral attack it, but you certainly do more damage hitting the part with the human body sticking out that looks like it's active as a human body and not as a glued together component.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And that's why getting that VR mission training will be useful for you in the future, nat20, it's valuable life experience condensed as much as possible.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Don't worry, sometimes you don't like a game and it's just that way, I like Spiderweb games but Queen's Wish and Geneforge (including the remake) really annoy me, I like From's souls games but Bloodborne really annoys me (It's the way it massively reduces the number of playstyles, both in offensive options and in defensive options), I really like From's Armored Core games, except the last two, I really like Chris Taylor's RTS's, except Planetary Annihilation really misses something the previous two had (it brought in interplanetary warfare and, ironically, I'd say it misses scale and speed). I disliked the first the last of us, and hated the second, both of which are apparently held in high regard by at least one human being each, something which makes me sad for the concept of sapience.

Sometimes you just don't like a thing, doesn't mean you'll dislike its cousins, but it just didn't work out that time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

You should play Armored Core though Nat,

You really should'

It has giant robots

Actually watching nat20 learn to murder AC4A would be very funny, also it's a good game, also there's a lot of fun history about it to explain to bewildered people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll say there's a lot about the game that's in realizing that it's in some ways basically a fighting game, things like the actual animations and mix-ups are really important compared to HZD (I haven't played HFW yet) and this can be both infuriating (dogs and rats, worst enemies since Demon's Souls, and probably before) and feel extremely good (clowning on a boss proclaimed as "hard" because You Have Its Address, And It Is Your Sword) and there's avoiding getting your rolls caught and so on.

On the other hand the extremely reduced option set of Bloodborne is very ehh for me, and I can't fault anyone for not being a fan, then there's what I think as genuinely bad decisions, like still having weapon durability and having to farm or buy basic healing and gunmagic charges.

Either way, I do hope there isn't a national mourning period ban on LPing because apparently there is for football, stay safe in hell island.