Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Let's purge the night of these beasts, 2HP at a time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can get what Nat is saying about the bloodstains at this specific point in the game. It'll change once you reach the point where the upgrades you might want to buy cost more than you earn in a run so you can't meaningfully bank your echoes at each checkpoint, but until then it doesn't really matter if you beat a stretch the first time or die repeatedly and lose your echoes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has it ever been said why Bloodborne went with this blood vials system rather than the flasks worked in the Dark Souls games? Having your healing be a known quantity that resets at every checkpoint has always been very good for these kinds of games. Most of the differences Bloodborne has to the Souls games are built around forcing you to play more aggressively and decisively but I have no idea how this serves that purpose.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Very much appreciate that Elden Ring actually added checkpoints to go in front of boss doors.

I find it interesting that you're happy to freely use blood vials (presumably to get more time learning the fight) but very hesitant to spend your bullets learning the interrupt timing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

I think the clear point in Nat's favor is that From have, while not generally making the games easier, drastically reduced runback time in their games over time. Elden Ring usually has a respawn point either right outside the boss room or within a minute's run to it.

Elden Ring, in particular, added a new kind of checkpoint in front of every boss and major encounter that doesn't have a nearby grace site that you can respawn at when you die. It doesn't give you access to a level ups, warp points and your customisation stuff, so there's still a run-back in those cases, but only if you want to change up your strategy or go and do something else - if you just want to take another stab at the boss just like before and try to get the hang of it, you can go right back in. It's a pretty good system, but it does mean that whatever they were trying to achieve with the run-backs, the benefits of convenient checkpoints won out in the end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that's a bloodtinge gimmick build!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think a podium is for people to stand on while a dais is for presenting objects. But that might just be in my own head rather than a proper definition.