Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kwyndig posted:

Well there's upcoming events too, like little ladies day and the second mogtomes hunt.

And the ff16 crossover (and a rerun of the 15 one iirc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Beef Hardcheese posted:

And dig into musical motifs

I just wish I wasn't such a basic bitch in the realm of music so I could comment on more than the general thematic vibe of the song, my occasionally ability to actually pick up a motif/reference to another piece, and whether or not I felt like it was in synch with the gameplay and writing. :negative:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Just dropping in to say i love reading it all! (except for the job quests and content I havent done yet; sav ing it for later)
I am always eagerly waiting to read the next chapter and the wait is killing me. bug ignore me and take You're time :)

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Honestly, reading this may actually be better than playing the game. You make even things I neglect or find boring incredibly interesting. Always a highlight of my day when I see a new update.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the LP and an opportunity to really look closer at the game. Your posts have been wonderful.

I gotta wonder how all this felt to people who were playing through the patch cycle of this expansion. At least ARR was just one cliffhanger, this was Scions dropping everywhere and you're left hanging for months on end.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thanks for the LP and an opportunity to really look closer at the game. Your posts have been wonderful.

I gotta wonder how all this felt to people who were playing through the patch cycle of this expansion. At least ARR was just one cliffhanger, this was Scions dropping everywhere and you're left hanging for months on end.

It was genuinely tense and borderline traumatic, honestly. All my buddies dropping to Mysterious Soul-Snatching Sickness one by one, that tremendous rear end in a top hat talking about the 'Gates', the war with Garlemald coming to a head... They really tightened the screws. I saw the new MSQ alert after patching and just immediately started worrying about who I'd lose this time.

It absolutely owned in the worst possible way.

And then... Shadowbringers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the final wait for the expansion launch was excruciating

much like the wait for the start of the shb LP!!!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Kerrzhe posted:

In relevant response to this, I wouldn't expect the launch of the LP for at least a couple weeks. I'm job hunting and I need time for all that garbage while I'm on vacation. Also taxes. I'll keep this thread open until I'm ready to launch the next one. Feel free to use it to share your thoughts on Stormblood, the LP, or ask me any questions so I can pad my post and view count for the sake of my ego

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
my thoughts on Stormblood: I should probably be more mad about Yotsuyu but I'm too busy headbanging to Wayward Daughter.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Slight promotion for a friend: We were chatting recently and our discussion turned to how we're actually one of the few surviving adventurers of "Our" generation. Most are dead or retired with a few in the scions like us. Anyway she did this neat piece. It feels very fitting for the end of Stormblood too, especially with having lost our friends with the Scions.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Onmi posted:

Slight promotion for a friend: We were chatting recently and our discussion turned to how we're actually one of the few surviving adventurers of "Our" generation. Most are dead or retired with a few in the scions like us. Anyway she did this neat piece. It feels very fitting for the end of Stormblood too, especially with having lost our friends with the Scions.

If your friend has socials or whatever, feel free to link them, or at least give a name to credit them. I'm going to be going through the thread to collect all the fanart/memes/funny pictures so I can add them to the OP (and the next thread), since that's a thing I should have long since done.

Speaking of OP thingies, thanks to the generosity of the readership, I reached my annual goal of paying for my Grammarly sub again, and then some! Tremendous thanks to anyone who's tossed into the tip jar to help make doing this easier. <3

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

If your friend has socials or whatever, feel free to link them, or at least give a name to credit them. I'm going to be going through the thread to collect all the fanart/memes/funny pictures so I can add them to the OP (and the next thread), since that's a thing I should have long since done.

Speaking of OP thingies, thanks to the generosity of the readership, I reached my annual goal of paying for my Grammarly sub again, and then some! Tremendous thanks to anyone who's tossed into the tip jar to help make doing this easier. <3

nice

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I see what you did there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sanguinia posted:

Sure, she's Khulan Goro on Excalibur in game. She does have a twitter but she posts NSFW on it of her character and does post current game spoilers, so I don't know if I should link it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
In light of today's announcement that from the 24th March they are temporarily enabling data center travel to Oceania for everyone, I was wondering if Sanguinia might be up for some kind of LP meetup in game to celebrate the completion of Stormblood?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

lines posted:

In light of today's announcement that from the 24th March they are temporarily enabling data center travel to Oceania for everyone, I was wondering if Sanguinia might be up for some kind of LP meetup in game to celebrate the completion of Stormblood?

Oooh, that sounds like a fun idea

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Sanguinia posted:

Oooh, that sounds like a fun idea

Any opinions as to where? (We can sort out the when and what server later.) Somewhere appropriate for StB (Kugane?), or around the gates to the Crystal Tower to set you on your way to the First?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sending off Sang to Shadowbringers or greeting their arrival may be nice.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'd certainly show up to flex and show off congratulate and celebrate a bit.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kerrzhe posted:

I remember the day before Shadowbringers launched when all the players started lining up outside the Crystal Tower. This was some time after the FF15 event, so everyone had their big 15 cars, and there was just a huge line of them stretching from the tower entrance to town. It was awesome.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This has been an amazing LP, Sang. It's been helpful in helping me remember bits and detail that I missed when I played through.

And like probably everyone here, I'm in full :sickos: mode waiting for your reaction to Shadowbringers.

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017
In celebration of the end of Stormblood, a video.
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2F7CJ8OLsRWcc%3Fsi%3DIDBGBcFluztqLlIu

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the normal release timeline, this is just about when I got back into the game. I burned out in either ARR or early Heavensward, deep in the Coeurthas "only one aethercyte and then you need to run south to the Observitarium" slog. My brother kept playing though, and for the ramp up to Shadowbringers he was getting really hype and filling me in. Seeing the launch trailer (confusing naming, not the "trailer" that's the opening title cinematic but one of the ones where they cut a bunch of scenes/dialogue around to hint at stuff while still being coy) was when I knew I had to come back. So I was going through the old stuff, eating it all up while my friends were gushing about things in Discord and basically getting more hype than Tom Holland did.

This point in the story holds a special place in my heart. It's when I came back to a game that I wanted to love but thought wasn't for me and discovered all I needed was the ability to breathe and look at the story with fresh eyes instead of a hurdle getting to the "good part."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What a great LP and what a great ride!

I only (semi-)recently came back to the game, and I didn't hear Stormblood was bad until after I was finished with it. I didn't agree with that, and I personally rank Heavensward below it, but only slightly. Maybe all of the changes between it launching in 2017 and me playing it in 2022 improved things? I dunno. I enjoyed it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
There are aspects of the FFXIV community that can drive me up the loving wall. Hitting people with "ARR and Stormblood suck!!!" before people experience themselves is near top of that list. Not saying Goons frequently do that (though I've seen it a handful of times).

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

arr is good actually

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
When I was describing ARR to a friend, I told them "You know how the first season of a TV show can be rough, and the writers are still finding their feet and tone for the show? That's ARR. And Stormblood has the misfortune of being sandwiched between Heavensward and Shadowbringers. So it's merely very good as opposed to how well regarded HW and ShB are."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ivypls posted:

arr is good actually

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've been replaying ARR on an alt, partially inspired by Sanguinia as it happens, and even though I liked it the first time upon replaying it, I've discovered that I still like it and it's good. I'm certainly not mad about the editing and I'm not feeling any sort of rush to get to HW like I did the first time; not due to impatience with 2.XX or anything but because I was so excited to see what came next. It's just a good, solid story even if it doesn't reach all the many heights that would come later but it's a quality foundation on which the rest of it is built.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's always funny hearing people say to skip or rush through ARR, I started playing before HW because I'd heard so many people talking about how good the story was.

Also I saw screenshots of the World of Darkness raid. The fact that they were translating some of the classic Amano designs for the bosses was super exciting, especially since the mainline games have gone in the opposite direction re: stylization.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly I’ve always felt that part of the reason people dislike ARR so much is because they’re trying to rush through to get to The Good Stuff and I personally think ARR is more satisfying if you take it slow and marinate in the world. That might be colored by the fact that FF14 is my first MMO and obviously it’s different if you’re having a great time with MSQ and want to see what’s next but I think a lot of my enjoyment was based around trying out the different jobs and wandering off to do job storylines or sidequests when the MSQ wasn’t doing it for me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I come from FFXI so having the quests actually tell you where to go and what to do make them not even register close to the definition of "slog" for me :v:

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
I think the ARR story is just dragged down by too much exposition and not enough voice acted cutscenes. In terms of gameplay it's perfectly fine, its an MMO with MMO gameplay. While the fanbase has turned Shadowbringers into "the fireworks factory", I think the game as a whole picks up right after you fight Garuda.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
ARR just needed some more visually exciting dungeons, I think. Before Castrum Meridianum, most dungeons are just "cave with slightly different window dressing from the others" or eventually turn into "cave with slightly different window dressing from the others".

Give me more Haukke Manors and less Dzemael Darkholds.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Kazy posted:

I come from FFXI so having the quests actually tell you where to go and what to do make them not even register close to the definition of "slog" for me :v:

Big same. :hfive:

Would also like to send Sang a big congrats on finishing the free trial! :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Big same. :hfive:

Would also like to send Sang a big congrats on finishing the free trial! :v:

While exceedingly unlikely, it would be really funny if Sang took long enough doing the Shadowbringers LP that the free trial consumed it into itself, thus putting Sanguinia back into the free trial.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NachtSieger posted:

While exceedingly unlikely, it would be really funny if Sang took long enough doing the Shadowbringers LP that the free trial consumed it into itself, thus putting Sanguinia back into the free trial.

It's wild to me that everything Sanguinia has done thus far is all within the scope of the free trial.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God the end of Stormblood here is so good. I'm honestly kinda glad that I didn't start playing till after Shadowbringers because waiting for the next expansion after this would have been torture.

Looking forward to the next thread!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

And yet somehow the two wikis still don't have complete information. 22 years. I'm dying.

Anywho I gushed about the dungeon the other day but I didn't say thanks for the LP, so thanks for the LP! Welcome to Shadowbringers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

choopercabra posted:

I think the ARR story is just dragged down by too much exposition and not enough voice acted cutscenes. In terms of gameplay it's perfectly fine, its an MMO with MMO gameplay. While the fanbase has turned Shadowbringers into "the fireworks factory", I think the game as a whole picks up right after you fight Garuda.

Before that, really -- post Titan and having to deal with the aftermath of the attack on the Waking Sands, then the trip into Coerthas was where the worldbuilding started getting kinda interesting for me.