Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm saving Samurai to be the last job I take to 90 in the hopes that they'll revert that first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm saving Samurai to be the last job I take to 90 in the hopes that they'll revert that first

It’s still very playable and fun, just lost a bit of the flavour.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Stormblood's intro movie has some cool sets and slick action sequences, but it's definitely the one I like least. I think the overtly story-focused style suits this game far better and never understood why it was framed this way -- I mean, the main plot is mostly a dense and heavy story about war. But this game's creators put a lot of thought into decisions like this. I think Sanguinia is on to something with the theory that it's referencing military propaganda.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Forsythia posted:

I think Sanguinia is on to something with the theory that it's referencing military propaganda.

It's something I hadn't considered before but makes sense and I think in that regard the Stormblood trailer is a much clearer follow-on from the Heavensward trailer. The first half of that was all spoilers/recap/welcome to Ishgard but the latter half went heavy on "The enemy is at the gates!" "Enlist in the Dragoons today!" "I'm doing my part!" vibe.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
All the animated XIV trailers try to balance "here's hints of the plot to come" with "look at this gorgeous new stuff we've put into the game, like god drat". The HW trailer leans pretty heavily into the former (although that gorgeous retreating shot of Ishgard into the Sea of Clouds is definitely the latter) and the SB trailer goes entirely in the opposite direction. There isn't a whole lot about the expansion plot in the SB trailer as it's more excited to show you the new places you'll be going to and one of the new jobs you can be.

I'll avoid talking about details here this early but I feel the trailer complements an overarching feel for the expansion plot, something worth discussing once credits start rolling over it, and where SB fits into the entire 10-year arc plot that XIV runs through.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Lyse, I would like her better if she had an outfit that PCs could wear from the cash shop but apparently it clips too much for PCs to use.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kwyndig posted:

I like Lyse, I would like her better if she had an outfit that PCs could wear from the cash shop but apparently it clips too much for PCs to use.

eShop: https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/product/870

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Still counts as ground floor, no? Either way congratulations on reaching Stormblood, hope you enjoy the road to come!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah Lyse's outfit/hair got added last Tuesday. Great timing for the thread.

Also I forget. When does BLU become available? After StB or after Shb? Is it already a available and Sang hasn't done it yet?

Cause BLU rules.

Also also, I really hope you like the viceroy. He's... divisive... but I think he's a great antagonist.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
BLU becomes available as soon as you clear Ultima Weapon, I believe.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it opens up right after finishing the 2.0 stuff. It's even on the free trial, unlike the "just be level 50" jobs!

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
While that is technically true, BLU is not kind to people on the free trial. After all, you need to have paid for the game to use party finder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

One thing I’ve realised might be interesting is seeing a comparison of the new MSQ duties and the old ones. Now that the two 8 man-dungeons have been changed into 4 man-dungeons with a 4 man trial against just the Ultima Weapon added.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sadly there's no way to see the very good new solo duties without doing NG+ that starts with the aftermath of Titan.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If you're okay with secondhand experiences (and hey, we *are* in an LP thread), it's a lot easier.

I do wish that the Unending Journey included solo duties in addition to the cutscenes.

New cape Westwind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNW8GbOVFm8

New Praetorium ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437rcB-KqjY

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

You can, thankfully, speed through that content in like... an hour. I went through it in NG+, skipping all cutscenes, just to get to the new content.

Other than travel times, the only slow bits were Stone Vigil (which I still tore through) and the... two? solo duties beforehand.

I do think new Cape Westwind is excellent, as is the Lahabrea fight.

But yeah they really should make the ARR ending it's own NG+ part :V

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd really love a way to replay MSQ solo duties anytime because there are so many cool fights hidden deep inside NG+ chapters.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Then, when the movie is done, as the last echo of our army’s war cry fades along with the final notes of music, we’re taken to the Start Screen. There we’re treated to "Long March Home," whose musical core is an instantly recognizable sound: military marching drums.

All of this made me think of two things. The first was the Attack on Titan Season One Opening Credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkpRK2_gVs
The titles of those songs are similiar as well.
The Stormblood song is 紅蓮のプレリュード (Guren no prelude), "Crimson Prelude", the Attack on Titan one is 紅蓮の弓矢 (Guren no yumiya), "Crimson Bow and Arrow".

The FFXIV expansions have color words in their titles that got lost in translation:
Heavensward is "Azure (蒼天) Ishgard"
Stormblood is "Crimson (紅蓮) Liberator"
Shadowbringers is "Pitch-black (漆黒) Villains"
and finally, Endwalker is "Finale of the Dawn (暁月)", if you squint a bit and count Dawn as a color.

The japanese players usually use just those colors to refer to the expansions instead of the full title.

e: no, the title of the game is not a spoiler, you people are silly

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 13, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Edit: yeah sorry in retrospect, didn't register expansion titles could spoil some meanings.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 13, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Y'all should spoil/delete those last two replies. Sang has said they want as little outside/info preexisting knowledge as possible and even though they presumably couldn't avoid the English names of the next expansions they probably have managed to avoid the translations of the Japanese ones.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Separately, to give the OP something they can actually read:

Sang, I'm curious about what you think of the title 'Heavensward' itself. Which of the lawns you can find throughout the game do you think most deserves the title 'heaven sward'?. Clearly the name is not unrelated to the 12 knights with pretty much the same name, but I think the more interesting reading is as an adverb denoting upward movement, with connotations both physical and spiritual. 3.0 has a whole key section where you and your best friends classic FF party companions physically climb up a mountain and then up a giant fantasy ruin to talk to Hraesvalgr, and it certainly does a good job taking you to some island which is floating way up there by its end! And the titular final quest of 3.0 literally starts with you automatically mounted on Midgardsormr ready to go fly up to the central flagship of Azys Lla.

But I wonder what you think about it as it relates to the expansion on a more thematic level. In particular, if the story of HW is about you, or Ishgard, or whoever, moving heavensward (and in the lyrics to the expansion's theme song 'heavensward' is the direction that "ever do our aching souls" both 'point' and 'march', "as they've done for so long"), what does that say about what heaven is?

Two other data points that I'm sure you thought of:
-When you finally defeat Nidhogg in 3.3 his line (at the 3 minute mark of the cutscene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKljaRvrLvE&t=180s) is "Undone by mortal will. Whither now...?"...as his spiritual form/aetheric/ghostly form is clearly ascending upwards.
-How the journey of the Warriors of Darkness, ultimately returning both to their home and to what they expect will be their deaths, fits into all of this.
-Oh, and I guess you might as well throw in the contrast between Ilberd's death by falling downwards and Papalymo's almost literal ascension into the sky.

Bonus question, of course: given the relation between HW's title and its plot/themes, what do you expect from an expansion called 'Stormblood'?

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 13, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

King Thordan posted:

Let us take leave for Azys Lla, my friends. We must ascend Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward.

I still can't believe Koji Fox got away with that one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I loved that "Heavensward" took on multiple meanings by the end.

On the topic of Koji Fox crimes, I think HW zones still have the best FATE names.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

jalapeno_dude posted:

The meaning of "Heavensward"

I mean obviously, it refers to the patch of short grass in the Churning Mists. I'm not sure why this is up for debate, but goons will latch onto anything. :shrug:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

No, it’s about Gilgamesh Greg and his never ending quest to find the legendary Heavensword.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tamba posted:

e: no, the title of the game is not a spoiler, you people are silly

No but you see, the Japanese language has special properties that could have dangerous ramifications if translated into other languages.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
so what color is ARR?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The devs decided against giving ARR a color, because it would have utterly ruined the experience of anyone who heard the title of the game, which would have caused it to fail a second time.
The Japanese title of ARR is just Eorzea Reborn

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 14, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

hazardousmouse posted:

so what color is ARR?

FFXIV: Code Blue.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

Y'all should spoil/delete those last two replies. Sang has said they want as little outside/info preexisting knowledge as possible and even though they presumably couldn't avoid the English names of the next expansions they probably have managed to avoid the translations of the Japanese ones.

Do you think that a new Japanese player will have the plot of later expacs beamed into their mind when they read the title of the expansion or something

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

the title of the game is not a spoiler lmao

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The title of an expansion pack has nonzero correlation with what the content of the expansion is. Knowing more information about will come later can change your interpretation of what's happening now. Sang has repeatedly expressed a preference for trying to experience things the way a player going through things at the time the content was released would. You're free to think that's dumb, for whatever reason, but you could still try to respect their preferences.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

The title of an expansion pack has nonzero correlation with what the content of the expansion is. Knowing more information about will come later can change your interpretation of what's happening now.

every time i think i understood spoiler culture i end up losing the thread again anyway. are even titles of works unmentionable now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
right but its the title of the game

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's nothing in the Japanese names of the expansions that aren't already implied in the English names.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

The title of an expansion pack has nonzero correlation with what the content of the expansion is. Knowing more information about will come later can change your interpretation of what's happening now. Sang has repeatedly expressed a preference for trying to experience things the way a player going through things at the time the content was released would. You're free to think that's dumb, for whatever reason, but you could still try to respect their preferences.

the main thing to me is that its the title of the video game

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Farg posted:

right but its the title of the game

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque, Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Written by Himself.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Tamba posted:

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque, Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Written by Himself.

which ffxiv xpac is this one

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Farg posted:

the main thing to me is that its the title of the video game

The issue isn't the title of the things Sanguinia is playing, it's the titles of things in the future can inform how events in the current expansion may have happened. Say for example in WoW, knowing that the expansion after BfA is Shadowlands might encourage someone trying to play blind that something goes wrong in BfA that leads to a need to go into the Shadowlands.

To give the example for Stormblood, if you're playing Heavensward blind and knew that the next expansion is Stormblood (Crimson Liberator), might cause one to change thoughts on how patch 3.4 and 3.5 play out narratively.

But ultimately this isn't a question about spoiler etiquette, the direct statement in the OP is that you should avoid sharing information that Sanguinia, playing it for the first time as blind as possible, would not have had available at the time that section of the game came out originally. So the name of future expansions is not something that Sanguinia would have knowledge of playing Stormblood at the time when Stormblood came out.

Is it something Sanguinia would know if they were playing at the time whilst avoiding spoilers, it's fine, if it isn't, don't share (unless prompted by Sanguinia). I'm no saint about this either I will admit.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly I mostly redacted my post because we shouldn't be even talking about the latest expansion because that's what leads to people treating this thread like it's the spoiler thread. Goons have no chill when talking about their favourite videogames.