Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ginette Reno posted:

I only rarely remember my dreams. Sometimes I'll remember them right when I get up but then I'll go to take a pissy and they'll immediately fade into the ether.

I guess that's why people that care a lot about that do dream journals or whatever

yes

it's been a while since high school psychology but as I recall a lot of information from your senses enters a part of your brain that's sort of just constantly draining like a colander. if any of it is important, you store it in your short-term memory, if not, pfft, gone. then if short term memories are important, like you keep having to retrieve them, they become long-term memories. except "flash bulb memories" which are so immediately and obviously important they jump the line and become long-term memories and there's nothing you can do about it

your dreams aren't real, so you don't generally remember them unless you specifically make it a point to, which is why dream journals work. you're putting them into memory before they drain out of the colander

I have a completely unfalsifiable hypothesis that dreams are your brain running test scenarios with random variables grabbed from your life so you can respond faster to unexpected events, which would help us survive in an unpredictable universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cubone posted:

it's been a while since high school psychology but as I recall a lot of information from your senses enters a part of your brain that's sort of just constantly draining like a colander. if any of it is important, you store it in your short-term memory, if not, pfft, gone
just suddenly remembered this is called the "Visuospatial Sketchpad" and, upon googling, I seem to be describing the Working Memory Model proposed by Alan Baddeley and Graham Hitch in 1974, if anybody is curious